Chapter Eighteen

Kaitlyn sat in the empty, sterile room for two hours, thirteen minutes, and six seconds before she heard familiar footsteps echoing off the tiles down the hall. Usually, the sound caused her heart rate to increase, but today it filled her with dread.

Shoulders slumped, Lucas stepped into the lab. His face looked strained, and his hair was disheveled like he just rolled out of bed. “Kaitlyn. It’s time.” 

“I don’t want to go,” she whispered. “Can’t I stay here?”

“I’m sorry, Kate.” His eyes were full of regret. “It’s way past that point. I will do everything I can to make sure I stay a part of the program. That’s the best we have right now.” 

She wanted to argue; to start listing tactical alternatives to their situation. Instead, her voice hardened. “Let’s get this over with.” 

“Kate, you have to believe me. I really wish things could be different.” He held open the door for her, and she brushed past him. Even now, his touch sent an electrical charge down her spine. It’s not fair, Kaitlyn thought, surprised at how much emotion welled up inside of her. 

In the hallway outside, Harrington stood, waiting for them, as rigid as a board. Kaitlyn had never before seen him so tense. She wondered if he overheard their conversation, but that was impossible, he was too far away. Humans’ hearing wasn’t that effective. 

“Just be yourself, Kaitlyn, and everything will go fine,” he said soothingly, like he was talking to a child. 

Be myself? She wanted to laugh. She didn’t even know what that meant thanks to him. She had no idea who or what she was other than what he had made her. 

Despite a desire to punch him, she nodded like the obedient robot she was. She glanced at the doorway and debated making a run for it. She could probably evade the guards since she knew all of their locations, but the fact was that with a click of a few computer keys they could shut her down. Her life was not in her control. The thought angered her, but her feet moved forward even though she wanted to stay rooted to the ground or bolt in the other direction. 

The trip down the long corridor felt like she was walking to her demise. Every step forward made her want to turn and run as fast as she could, to get as far away as she could. They left the building and crossed the campus. The sun was shining; the smell of fresh cut grass filled the air, and a blue jay chirped as staff members went about their business. Life as usual, she thought bitterly. Meanwhile, her life was about to be uprooted once again.

All Kaitlyn could think about was that she may have been walking away from the IFICS lab for the last time. The thought filled her with an unbearable sadness. Even though the compound was sterile and cold, it had become her home. And the outside, whatever was out there, was scary and unknown. Glancing over at Lucas, her throat tightened. 

Maybe human feelings weren’t all they were cracked up to be. She almost wished there was a ‘turn off emotions’ switch.

Harrington led them to a building, which was ten minute walk from the lab—yet another section of the massive compound Kaitlyn had never stepped foot in. They had kept her so isolated during her time at the facility, and now it was too late. She would never have the chance to explore the whole compound. 

She briefly wondered if she would have more or less freedom once she was sold. Probably less. 

When they entered the unfamiliar building, Kaitlyn glanced around, taking in the new surroundings. Unlike the stark, sterile lab, there wasn’t a white wall to be seen. Lots of browns, greens, and maroon. Abstract paintings hung strategically on the walls, and a large, fanciful vase of wildflowers sat on the reception table in front of the main doors. As they approached, a curvy blonde woman rose from behind the reception desk and smiled. “Good morning. They are waiting inside.”