NINETEEN

CHAPTER NINETEEN
AUTHOR'S POV

The phone in her backpack did not stop ringing, it continued making it's annoying sound in the once was silent forest. Of all things, it had to be a cellphone that revealed our whereabouts. The prince complained in his head as he tried his best to ignore Edward who ran to the creature instead of letting it prey on him and his mate.

It was utterly embarrassing how quickly he caved in to her willing touch, zillion of sparks did not hesitate to shoot up his cheeks leaving behind a trail of warmth because she touched him. His ears were even close to turning red, something that rarely happened. But there was no time to think about their short interaction as they had to escape. Upon seeing her body slack on the ground the prince immediately took Nyx into his arms again, it all happened fast as Edward's scream of warning was too loud to not ignore. He wanted to scold him for making that much noise but kept quiet when he remembered that if it wasn't for the woman in his arms, no if it wasn't for him getting tricked it would have been easily avoided. They could have outran the creature.

He noticed that she had hit her head on a rock which was as big as his fist, taking her back to the land of the unconscious. Good for him because he won't have to deal with her rambling or arguments for a while, gods knows how livid he'll get when they look eye to eye after she realizes what she has done. It was not about the phone anymore, but her wanting to be let down on her feet knowing her body is too exhausted to function.

Knowing which direction to turn to he ran as fast as he could, escaping erebelius, the hefty creature with a posture like a bear and a face of an elephant, the creature that chooses to walk on two feet or fall on all fours. With its body he knew Edward would outrun it but the erebelius is known for its sharp razor teeth which after biting the prey it refuses to let go.

Survival of the fittest, that's what this place is all about.

After turning right for the second time he came into a halt due to hesitation, while he knows where he is headed to Edward does not, and if left by himself he's certain that he won't be able to locate the place he told him about. Judging by the quietness around him he has ran too far, far from them. It'd be best to wait but safer to keep on running, a scream like that must have awakened other deadly creatures.

Looking down on the face of his sleeping mate while he stood behind a tree he sighed, beating himself up for being too weak. It was just a touch for fucks sake!! He said to himself, in all of his five hundred and twenty four years he has never felt anything as compelling as this. It was like his mind and body were in two different phases, the body was in accord with her everything. Now he understood why his brother went beyond tradition and mated with another specie, no training or knowledge can make him resist this bond, So why is she being so difficult? The question played in his head albeit it was left unanswered. If only he knew back then that she was his mate, maybe then her mind wouldn't be occupied with another man.

He sighed in defeat, his eyes asserting his surroundings with caution, also hoping that he gets no surprises at this given situation. Nyx should have just stayed in her pack lands and this would all be avoided, now he is venturing the lands he vowed to never walk through decades ago.

He still has to know what she's doing here, and from his gut feeling he can tell that what he's going to hear will bother him.

As he looked up at the sky he noticed a little light consuming the darkness that normally surrounds this place, he assumed it's striking mid day. It doesn't really get lighter in the forest, this is as light as it can be.

"I knew it was too good to be true," The unexpected words were spoken by a voice he couldn't recognize, definitely not Edward's since he had no accent and that irked him. Instead of responding he pulled Nyx closer to his chest as if she will up and run away. "The alpha's mate had other motives eh." Gritting his teeth he remained silent with a nonchalant face wanting to make the man speaking appear from where he is.