until the end

Even though it was months after the final fight for Gatlon, the world was still broken, and with it, Nova and Adrian's relationship. The breakup was messy, feelings of betrayal on both sides, leaving both bitter and angry.

Although Nova stayed in Gatlon, she kept to herself, learning what she could about the city, and the people in it that the council previously ignored, left to fend for themselves. Even though she passed her old team members often, she rarely acknowledged it, giving a stiff nod at most. Nova couldn't even look at Adrian without a sinking feeling rising up inside her, threatening to spill over in angry tears and resentment.

However, one day, Nova was wandering the park, searching for her old hideout in the grove among the rubble. Her footsteps picked up as she fell into the familiar path she had followed in the weeks leading up to the final battle. It became her refuge from the chaos of her life, as tensions grew and her identity became more and more in danger.

Rounding the corner into the ruins, she spotted a tall figure near the moss-covered statue in the center. They were leaning against the pedestal, writing, or maybe drawing, in a small notebook. Adrian. Nova turned to go, but her foot knocked against a loose stone, sending a small avalanche clattering to the ground. Adrian leaped up, turning to see the source of the noise. He faltered, eyes catching on Nova's terrified face. Nova backed away, ready to run at a moment's notice.

"Nova," Adrian's voice was soft but careful, like he was talking to a scared wild animal that was ready to bolt any second. "Wait, please."

Tears filled Nova's eyes. "I can't, Adrian. It's not good for either of us and it can't end well."

"Nova," Adrian strode across to her, taking her hands in his before she could pull away. "Please."

Hesitating, Nova stepped closer, losing herself in his deep brown eyes.

"I still like you, Nova. Hell, I love you. I don't care about anything that happened. Just talk to me, please."

"I-" Nova didn't finish, only pressed her lips to Adrian's. He kissed her back, wrapping his arms around her, holding her close. After only a few seconds, Nova pulled away, whispering, "I'm sorry... I shouldn't have-are you sure?" Adrian didn't respond, only pulling her back into the kiss.

Moments later, he broke the kiss, murmuring in her ear, "One hundred percent. I'm with you to the end, Nova."