gunshots (continued)

This is a part 2 of Seven 

Gatlon City was in chaos. Buildings reduced to rubble, shattered glass, and blood littered the streets. Bodies were scattered, the dead and injured alike.

Nova raced out of the old Anarchist tunnels. Temporarily blinded by the bright sun, she paused only for a second to turn back and confirm that Adrian hadn't followed her yet. If any of the Anarchists saw him, especially anywhere near her, they would kill him in a heartbeat.

In the distance, she could see Ace surveying the battle from above. Nova almost laughed-it looked so much like a comic book. He was levitating, suspended in the air. She could barely see his face, but she knew him well enough that she knew that he was waiting. He was waiting to attack. She drew in a breath, trying to follow his gaze, but the buildings obstructed her view. Ruby and Oscar were fighting Honey in the distance, surrounded by bees and smoke. Phobia was moving between battles, disrupting the fights just long enough to stun the Renegade before moving on to a new victim.

"Why hello, my little Nightmare," Ace called down to her, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "Here to join the party? Come, take part in the festivities!" He spread his arms. An invitation.

"Nightmare!" A voice called out from her right. A painfully familiar voice. Adrian. He was standing in his suit, striking one of his poses straight out of a comic book.

Nova groaned. One day he was going to get himself killed doing that. "Hello, Sentinel. Nice of you to drop by." They circled each other, throwing small comments back and forth.

***

Adrian watched Nova as she circled around him, glaring. He could barely see her eyes under her hood, but when he caught glimpses of them, they were twinkling. It was almost painful to look at her. She was Nova Artino, but at the same time, she wasn't. She had changed, her attitude different from the second she had kissed him in the tunnels. She was no longer an Anarchist, and not a Renegade either. She was on her own side. Society's side. Yes, she wanted revenge, but she also wanted what was best for the people.

"Punch me," Nova whispered in his ear as she passed by him again. "He's watching."

Adrian started, having been too caught up in his thoughts to notice the change in the atmosphere around him.

"I don't want to hurt you. Remember the carnival? I'm stronger than you," he hissed back. Nova sighed, before swinging her hand up to punch him in the gut. He grunted, although the suit blocked most of the force from her hit.

They fought, throwing light punches and hits at each other, to appear as if they were immersed in combat.

"Very good, little Nightmare! Finish him!" Her uncle's gloating tone rang through the air above her. "Finish the Sentinel, and your mission will be complete."

Nova winced and stepped back from Adrian. "Go. Run. As fast as you can. Get Ruby, Oscar, Danna, anyone you care about and get out. No one is safe and it's about to get worse any minute."

"I'm not just going to leave you here, Nova. If you get hurt who knows what could happen. I'll tell the others, but I'm staying."

"Adrian. You are not safe. If you don't leave, if you get hurt-"

A terrible sound ripped through the air. Concrete cracking, glass shattering, all moving towards Nova and Adrian.

"MOVE!" Nova screamed, pushing Adrian away from the chunk of concrete hurtling towards them. But Adrian had stopped moving. He looked at her in a panic, then glanced up. Ace. Ace was controlling Adrian.

"Little Nightmare! The Sentinel is right here. Finish him, or I will," Ace waved his hand and Adrian crashed into the wall, followed by one of the knives from Nova's belt. It hovered over Adrian's heart, inches away from impaling him. Nova gasped, watching as the dagger inched closer and closer to his chest.

"Stop!" She screamed. "Don't hurt him. He hasn't done anything, just let him leave. Let him go," Nova stared imploringly at her Uncle. "Let him go!"

A maniacal laugh filled the air as the knife pressed against Adrian's chest, seconds from piercing through his suit. "Oh, I don't think so, Little Nightmare. I think that this Renegade, this... Sentinel, should be put to an end. Your worst enemy, your archenemy, finally gone." The metal cracked as the knife slowly punctured the material.

"Stop!" Nova ran to Adrian and attempted to pull the knife out of the suit, but all she could do was slow it down.

"Oh, but I won't! I will not rest until everything the Renegades have built has been destroyed and they are all dead. I will bring them down, and bring the world back into Anarchy, all starting with your little boyfriend right here. That is, unless you help me, Little Nightmare. Help me destroy this city, help me start anew, or he dies."

***

Adrian gasped as the knife touched his skin. It had pierced all the way through his suit and was pricking at his skin. The blade was cold, but it had stopped moving. Nova was staring at her Uncle in horror as he threatened her. She glanced at him, and he attempted to shake his head, trying to tell her not to listen to him, not to give in, to save the city, and herself.

"Help me, little Nightmare, and he lives. Attempt to save him, and I'll make sure you die with him." With that, the dagger sliced into his skin. Adrian cried out, and Nova's head jerked up.

"Stop, please!" A block of concrete flew up from a nearby building and rammed into Nova's stomach. She fell backward onto the ground, wincing in pain. Nova slowly pulled herself up, only to be knocked down again, watching helplessly as the knife slowly cut deeper and deeper into his chest.

"I'll help you, you can take me! I'll do whatever you want, just let him go. Let him live!" She sank to her knees in front of Ace Anarchy, who pressed his lips together, glaring down at his niece.

All in the same instant, the knife was ripped out of Adrian's chest, and it clattered to the ground in front of Nova.

"Fine."