0 . 3 7

| B E V  A N D  R E D |
•  •  •
0 . 3 7

     Red had found it

     Red had found it. He had found the perfect apartment for he and Beverly. It was just twenty minutes from Gina's house, within price range, and had two bathrooms, with two bedroom. And although he and Beverly would be sharing a bedroom, it was nice to have an extra one for whoever he was bound to mess up.

     The moment Beverly had woken up, he was pounced on by Red, him explaining the apartment that he found that was apparently perfect.

     "When can we see it?" Beverly had asked, biting into the corner of his ham sandwich.

     Red grinned, "I can arrange a tour for later today? How's 4:00?"

     "Perfect."

• • •

     Beverly was excited. He was excited to see to see apartment that Red had been so worked up about, since he had first even woken up. Cole sat in the backseat, him mindlessly chewing loudly on a pink piece of bubble gum, as he questioned Red.

     Cole couldn't help himself.

     Since he was just a child, he'd been given a hard time for talking so much. But, the last time his mother had tried to get to the bottom of the matter, they realized that Cole had been suffering from ADHD, and OCD.

     Meaning, that whenever Cole was having a bad day, it was best to just ignore it, and act as though everything was perfectly normally.

     But now, Red watched in the rear view mirror with a heavy heart, as Cole's fingers clenched into tight fists, as his lips continued on. One look at that, and Red knew that Cole had most definitely been skipping doses of his meds.

     Red cleared his throat, "everything alright, Cole?"

     Cole shrugged, trying to seem as kept-together and polished as usual. "Just one of those days, man."

      Red almost erupted, "Yeah? Or have you been forgetting to take your meds?"

     Cole looked over at Beverly, who looked out of the window, as thought he was lost in thought. He didn't want Cole to think that he had anything to be embarrassed about, and that he would be perfectly fine.

     But Cole didn't take a liking to someone paying too close attention to him. "Just stay out of it, Matt."

And with that, he does.

Red's truck pulls into the parking lot of a complex of decent looking apartments. The buildings are tall, taller than what Red had expected. His eyes narrow into the brick exterior, wondering how old the building must've been.

He slips out of the car, walking over to the passenger side door before pulling open, before Beverly has the chance to do it on his own.

They walk into the lobby, where they're met with a short, stubby pale woman, whose hair seems to be the blackest of any black had Red had ever seen.

     She extends a hand, and Red almost whistles at the sparkly, wide diamond on the ring, surrounding her finger.

      "Hello!" She began excitedly, "I'm Idris Baker, and I will be taking great pleasure in showing you around to one my personal favorites around here."

     Beverly smiled, shaking her hand, as Red watched Cole in his peripheral. The twenty-year-old scraped lints of dust from his t-shirt, his breathing becoming irregular.

     Red hooked an arm around Cole's shoulders, leaning in closely. "You are taking those fucking pills as soon we get home."