F I V E.

Adrian.

The door burst open and my secretary walked in humming a tune and then stopped short when she noticed me sitting at my desk.

"Oh...uh...good morning Mr. Webber." She wobbled a little, spilling some of the coffee she had been balancing on the stack of newspapers in her hands. "I'm sorry. I didn't know you were here sir."

I went back to the papers I was studying "You are surprised I'm in my office?"

"No...uh...n..of course not sir. I just wasn't expecting you this ea— never mind sir. Here are your papers" she dropped the stack on my table "And your coffee"

I hated chatty people. Abhorred them. But I didn't think it was fair to fire somebody because I didn't like that they were friendly. But, god, it was only 6:30am and she was already giving me a headache.

I looked up at her. She had on a low cut red blouse and her skirt was too short and too tight. Her face was caked with makeup. How did she have time to do that?? Topped off with bright red lips, matching her blouse. She looked okay, but looking closer, I noticed bags under her eyes that her makeup didn't quite cover and her bright smile was too bright to be real.

"I'm not drinking that coffee."

                          ********

Four hours and seven cups of coffee later....

"Fuck no! Tell them that's my final offer. They can take it or leave it!" The blubbering idiot on the other side started saying something but I ended the call.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk. Seven years and you haven't changed."

I looked up, startled to hear that voice "Derek?"

"Still alive" The idiot said grinning.

I got up and went round the desk to hug him. I felt myself smiling for the first time in a looong time. "Sup man? When did you get back??"

Derek was my best friend from college. Well, to be honest, he was my only friend from college. He had taken off to Africa immediately after graduation for some charity thing he suddenly felt he needed to do. We had spoken sometimes, but we didn't— uggh I hate that I have to use this word—connect as much as we used to. And now, out of the blues, here he was, in my office.

"Flew in last night"

"And now here you are"

"Now here I am" he agreed.

"How was 'the dark continent'" Using an ominous voice for 'the dark continent'.

He plopped onto the couch by the wall and I leaned on my desk and crossed my arms. "The continent was okaaay, but RiRi, the chicks were the main attraction"

I groaned. I hated that nickname. And he knew it. "Don't start. Rek."

He gasped dramatically "You didn't!"

Narrowing my eyes into slits "I did"

Suddenly, A throw pillow came hurling at me but I caught it and threw it back at him, aiming for his head.

"Ow! You l—" The door opened and my secretary walked in.

She stopped, looking shocked but collected herself "I'm sorry to interrupt sir, but a Miss. Ash is here to see you."

"Did she have an appointment with me?"

"No sir, but she says she's here about a job?"

I was curious.

I sighed. "Okay let her in."

She nodded but didn't leave. Instead she walked up to Derek and extended her hand "I don't think we met properly before. I'm Anna Palmer" She didn't say it in a flirtatious way, just as if she wanted to introduce herself.

I cleared my throat and the hand was retracted. "Sorry sir" and her heels clicked out of the office.

Derek stood up. "Gotta go man, catch ya later"

We did a bro hug and he left, passing my new visitor at the door. My breath hitched in my throat as I found myself looking at her. The girl from the restaurant.

She wore a knee-length black skirt and a button-up shirt. With the top two buttons undone. Unlike at the restaurant, her hair was pinned to the back of her head, exposing her long neck that was just begging for hickeys. The little cleavage showing out the top of the shirt made me groan.

Why, why, was she in my office.

"Good morning Miss Ash, how can I help you." My voice sounded hoarse.

She was staring at me with her mouth slightly open and her eyes widened in realization . Surprisingly, she regained her composure and smiled tightly " I saw on your website that you were hiring."

I didn't know anything about that and I was the owner of the company "Uh, hiring?"

"Yes sir, for the position as a secretary?"

"Sit down. Give me a second" I logged onto the website on my Mac and went to 'vacancies' and sure enough, there was an ad for a secretary. It was an outdated ad. That was the ad from which I hired Anna. I looked up at the girl. She was looking at me nervously and biting her lip. I wanted to bite her lip.

I didn't know when the words left my mouth "You're hired"

The lipped popped out of her mouth all juicy and pink. "Really??" She was excited.

"Yes, you start tomorrow morning." Where were these words coming from???

She stood up and extended her hand "Thank you sir."

I shook her hand.It was so soft, contrasting with her firm grip. I felt a stirring in my groin.

She picked up her bag and walked out of the office.

I sat down and thought about what I had just done. I didn't regret it.

Anna came into the office, notepad in hand, "Sir, you have a meeting with the Portuguese investor in ten minutes."

"Okay, set up boardroom 1"

"Will do Sir, she chirped and turned to go to the door.

"Oh and by the way Anna, you're fired."