10. Midnight Runaways

ELLIOT

ELLIOT

It had been three days since Rachel's suicide attempt. The whole school was still talking about it. Why wouldn't they? It was her second time, after all. I wonder who saved her the last time.

I couldn't lie to myself. I was frightened to death when I saw her standing in her bathroom with a shivering a body, trembling hands, and deeply cut wrists as if she had been running the sharpest blade back and forth through her skin. She was standing in a pond of blood. She had lost so much blood, but she made it out alive. The universe really didn't want her dead.

I was currently sitting in the library with a book in my lap when someone poked my shoulder. I glance sideways and find Skylar plopping down next to me in the couch.

"What's up? Elli Belli?" Her ocean blue eyes gazed back at me while her wavy hair was resting loose down her shoulders.

Flustered, I stared at her. "Elli what?"

"I just came up with it now," she admitted, laughing.

I sighed. "Are you trying to cheer me up?"

"Of course. Look at you. You've had sad puppy eyes for the last three days," she said, frowning like a puppy to make a point.

"Are you saying I'm worried about Rachel, because if you are, let me just tell you that I'm not," I clarified, trying to sound firm.

"Of course you aren't," she said, ironically.

She stared at me with an intense look, leaving me to sit uncomfortably next to her. I try to peel my gaze off her, but no matter how hard I tried, her intense gaze kept boring into me.

"Okay!" I exclaimed, holding my hands up in surrender.

"I'm worried," I mumbled, quietly.

"Worried for who?"

I shot her a deadly look while Skylar continues to smile mischievously.

"Seriously?"

"Seriously."

I groaned of annoyance, but something told me Skylar wouldn't leave me alone before she convinced me to admit it.

"Rachel. I'm worried about Rachel. Satisfied?" I throw her a fake smile.

She smirked. "Very satisfied."

I rolled my eyes and gazed out the window, snowflakes gently falling down from sky while the sun was shining brightly.

"Relax, bro. She'll be back before you know it," Skylar assured, patting my shoulder.