Blast From the Past

Prologue:

“I’m sorry, this just isn’t going to work out.” Zach told me as we walked across the beach. This was not where I thought this was going to go. “I mean, we’re both in high school and this long distance thing isn’t going to work.”

I stayed silent the whole time. He probably thought that I hated him, when really, all I wanted to do was cry. I really liked him. I mean, some people may think that it’s stupid because I’m about to be a sophomore in high school, and I live what feels like a million miles away from this boy, but there’s something there, I can just feel it. Besides the fact that he took my most precious thing from me, meaning, he was my first time. That only happened like a week ago, and now, here he was, breaking up with me.

I walked him to the front of our beach house where he could wait for his dad to pick him up. “Can I at least have one last hug?” I asked as he was about to get into the car.

He hugged me and held me longer than I expected. I didn’t want to let him go. If I let him go then that meant he was going to walk out of my life for good. I mean, we’ve known each other at least three years now and hang out every day of the summer. I can’t just let him leave without feeling something. “Bye, Kelsey. I’m really glad I got to meet you and spend time with you.”

“Bye.” I whispered.

That night, my two cousins and aunt spent the night trying to convince me why I shouldn’t be sad and ended up making me laugh through the tears. One cousin and my aunt were trying to make me laugh and tell me to remember all the good times we had. The other cousin was asking me if I needed her to beat him to a pulp. I laughed and shook my head.

The next day, when I walked into the house, his dad was coming to say goodbye to all of us, seeing as how tomorrow we all had to go back to real life. As soon as I walked into the kitchen, he looked at me and smiled a sad smile, “Well, I thought I was going to be saying bye to my future daughter-in-law. I guess I was wrong.”

That pulled me up short. What does that mean that Zach has been saying about me? Without being too awkward, I just smiled and laughed it off. “Oh, yeah…” I drew out the word. “I guess not.”

“Well, have a good year in school. Hope to see you again.” With that, Roy, Zach’s dad, nodded and walked out of our beach house. I knew I would never see them ever again after that. Or would I?

~~~~~~

After that day, Kelsey swore to herself she wouldn’t think of him ever again. She didn’t want to waste her time hoping to get someone who she wasn’t going to ever see ever again. But what would happen if she did see him again? Would he even know who she was? Would she want him back? Would he want her back? Or would it be too late for either of them to make that choice?