C29 - "Susu, Hurry up and Call Me Uncle."

Xia Guo felt as light as a feather, as if she could pass away at any moment. She had never experienced such profound sadness in her life. She had believed that her unwavering will would see her through. After enduring countless hardships, she thought she had finally reached her goal, only to discover there was still a considerable distance to cover. It seemed so unfair!

Her complexion was deathly pale, yet she clenched her lips tightly, refusing to concede defeat. "I... I'm managing," she insisted.

Zhao Yuegu couldn't help but admire her tenacity. "We'll have to walk the rest of the way; the car can't go any further."

A wave of relief washed over Xia Guo. No more car rides. That would certainly make things better.

Meanwhile, Sun Ying had roused her father, who yawned and stretched languidly. "I haven't had such a solid sleep in ages," he remarked. "I should do this more often." The chaos of recent years had robbed him of peaceful slumber. Yet, the jolting journey had transported him back to his carefree youth, allowing him to sleep with a sweetness he hadn't felt in a long time.

However, upon seeing Xia Guo's condition, he was startled. "Director Xu, what happened to you?"

She mustered a weak smile. "Nothing, just a bit carsick."

Sun's father understood immediately. The rough journey wasn't for everyone. "Is the road much further? Are we close?"

Her smile turned painfully bitter. "Another twenty miles."

"Let's get going then."

But after just a couple of steps, Xia Guo collapsed into the dirt, utterly drained. If not for her sheer determination, she would have already fainted.

Sun Ying quickly assisted her, concern etched on her face. Xia Guo was an important figure, and any mishap here could spell disaster. "Maybe we should head back and find a hospital," she suggested.

"If she endures any more jostling, it could be fatal," Zhao Yuegu interjected, halting any further discussion. He knew the strong-willed woman would never accept leaving without completing her task.

"My mission isn't finished," Xia Guo affirmed, teeth gritted in determination.

Sun's father sighed, "What's the best course of action?"

Ultimately, Zhao Yuegu lifted Xia Guo and carried her on his back, determined to help her finish what she had started.

He had become quite adept at carrying a woman on his back.

In fact, if he chose to, he could easily carry her for twenty miles.

"Let me carry you for now."

"Given your current state, you won't make it far. I fear you won't reach the village before nightfall."

"And the forest is far more perilous after dark."

Initially, Xia Guo was hesitant, but upon hearing Zhao Yuegu's words, she ultimately didn't refuse.

"Thank you."

Her voice was cool, tinged with a touch of shyness.

She had never been this close to a man before.

So close that it set her heart racing.

Zhao Yuegu, however, found her surprisingly light.

She hardly weighed anything.

With his strength, he could carry her in a marathon and still clinch the title, let alone walk twenty miles.

He even had the spare energy to carry some extra farming tools back.