An Excerpt from the Journal of Nelda Crane

Date: 7/7/977

Once more, I have been absent from writing about my daily life for quite some time. Perhaps I should give up on journaling. However, I have some things that I need to process right now, and it is...a lot.

By now, I imagine that I must be the stupidest woman alive. And I must say that Leonard is growing up to be a menace. I love the boy, I really do – he's probably the closest that I'll ever come to having my own child, and I know that teenagers are notorious for mischief, but his antics are bordering on wildly inappropriate. And this instance may very well have put us both in danger. Whether it has or hasn't is yet to be seen.

I never did get around to looking into that datacard that Matteo Rocha had sent me all those years ago. At least, not until today. That was my own failure. Ultimately, that may have been the best at that time, as Matteo had expressly stated that I was to keep the notes private and hidden, but I should have kept better track of them. I should have hidden them away in a more secure location instead of forgetting them in a spare drawer.

Leonard was here at my apartment this morning. Again. His father is still busy dealing with company matters even on our days off, and his mother was simply unavailable as per usual. Things have been like this for quite some time, and as his godmother, I have let the boy know that he is welcome to stay with me whenever he needs to. My doors are open. I only ask that my study remain off limits. I keep private documents in there – pharmacy documents, personal files, private datacards with bloodrot research that should never be viewed...

Of course, Leonard got in there when I was out this morning. He had managed to get past the lock that I have on my study – it was just a standard keypad lock. I hadn't bothered to have it coded to my shae band. What need was there for that inside my own home? Like I said, I have been stupid and far too trusting of the boy. Anyways, by the time I got home, the boy was already up to his eyeballs in his grandfather's bloodrot research. It wasn't until after I had sent him home and began reading through the notes myself that I began to realize how dangerous this knowledge is. This "Dweller" – this "Fenrir" creature that Matteo described frightens me. It has a chokehold on Heart in a way that must never be purged, and it knows all of the inner workings of our city, down to every last detail. What Matteo had done for Flores Greens was at great personal peril. I have heard tell that the numbers of bloodrot survivors and Rochagorosis patients have quietly been dwindling, and I fear that this may be related to this "Fenrir" that Matteo wrote of.

At least Leonard had used my personal datalog to view his grandfather's notes. It's on a closed circuit and very private, luckily. No public servers should have access. I still spent the better part of the day trying to scrub any residual data from it though, and I'm terrible at dealing with code.

Dear goodness – I'm still shaking a bit. Whether that's from anger at Leonard or fear from Matteo's notes, I'm not entirely sure. I shall have to find a more suitable hiding place for the datacard, and soon. Perhaps I shall hide this journal with it. I rarely use it anyways.

As for Leonard, his parents need to instill more discipline and respect in him. Although, they are never around. Perhaps I can convince them to start sending him to his uncle in Flores Greens. He has me as his godmother, sure, but I am not his relative. The boy needs to be around family. I shall talk with Sebastian tomorrow. Hopefully, some good will come of this.

Nelda Crane, signing out