Chapter 16: Tess Ritty

Iridescent murals of bioluminescent fungi and freshly painted kuar raced across the tunnel walls in intertwining vines. Tess stared, squinting against the blue and green light they threw off. Beneath the murals, the rock walls were reflective and polished smooth, like glass. She caught sight of her reflection. It was beautiful. High, proud cheekbones. A strong jaw. Dark braids tumbling over sharply angled shoulders. And those eyes. Those inky eyeballs which saw so clearly in the darkness. No more soft, brown iris. No more human eyes. They were a gift to those Blessed by the Dwellers. She frowned. Odd – that wasn't something she'd known a moment ago. Her feet continued moving, carrying her onward.

This tunnel was long, longer any she'd been down as of yet. It was a wide, well-trodden road, tiled in white and red and blue and gold. And there were offshoots, many offshoots. Doorways carved and decorated with twisting designs, shot through with glowing fungi. She caught sight of the occasional person standing in the shadows, clothed in shimmering robes. They watched her silently. She wasn't afraid. They seemed proud and faded. They were her allies. They too, were Blessed.

One young man stepped out to greet her. His features were blurred, even in the light. But he was tall, with a narrow face and a strong jaw. He must have been handsome.

She said nothing. There was no need. The man simply waved for her to follow him. And so she did. He brought her to the end of the tunnel and into a massive cavern with vaulted ceilings that shone with blue light. A wide peninsula jutted out into the expanse, and sheer rock walls dropped into water far below. She could hear it lapping in the distance against the cavern walls. Along the peninsula were endless rows of banquet tables. They seated even more faded people, dressed in shimmering robes and wearing faces she couldn't see.

At the far end was a raised dais. On it sat a chair, and in the chair, a man who she knew. He looked different than the statue of her vague memories. Thinner, with white hair that hung over his shoulders. He looked young, like someone just barely out of boyhood, but his eyes were black and tired and old and intense.

Rourke Cynwrig. The name stirred memories from when she lived in Heart. His name was a thousand years old. Heart's guardian. It was her duty now to join him.

She stood at attention. It had not been necessary for Rourke to call her here. He was host to the Dweller, Fenrir. And across any distance, Fenrir could direct her to protect Heart. But Rourke lived a lonely existence. A millennium hosting a Dweller was no easy feat. No human was supposed to live that long. And yet, he had chosen this. He had made a deal with Fenrir to protect Heart from the other Dwellers of Par-12. He would protect the city with the Blessed, and Fenrir would permit it – so long as Rourke remained the host. She was the newest of the Blessed, and Rourke wished to meet her. He met with all of the newly Blessed.

Rourke leaned forward. He was very far away, yet she could see his face clearly. He looked serious. In her mind, Fenrir ordered her to return to the human named Connor. Humans with Rochagorosis were a threat to him. He was the Dweller that held the Blessed together and molded them to protect Heart. A threat to Fenrir was a threat to Heart. The human named Connor must therefore be destroyed.

The same was true for the Dweller named Bastet. She and her host were to be destroyed with fire.

When Fenrir was finished with his instructions, Rourke did something very strange. He spoke, but no sound crossed his lips. She watched, and slowly, very slowly, Rourke mouthed the words, "I am sorry."

He needn't be. The duty of the Blessed was to protect Heart. She spared one final glance at Rourke, and then left.