Draco: Counting Stars

Scotland
Hogwarts
Draco

    "Draco," Belinda said as he leaned over to him, placing a kiss on his cheek. "I do hope you're not here to tear books apart."

    He looked at her with a mischievous smile. "Only my favorite ones."

    "Always your favorite ones."

    Among the million things Draco liked about Belinda, it was her attentive eyes that he admired the most. When they were younger, Belinda used to draw Draco's portrait every summer, and with every single portrait she finished she would notice one minor thing about him. Whether it was his preference for silver, his tendency to fidget with his rings, his taste for darker colors, or that his eyes are the lightest shade of blue instead of grey — Belinda unfailingly noticed them all.

    "What are you doing here? I thought you were working today."

    Belinda turned to the person standing beside her. "I was helping George with our Alchemy homework. I reckon both of you already know each other."

    Draco swallowed down his irritation for Belinda and turned to acknowledge George Weasley.

    "Of course," he said, passively. "Weasley."

     "Malfoy."

    For a moment, Draco and George stared at each other in silence, not one dared utter another word. There had been no conversation between them that had not resulted in a fight. Draco had no care for the Weasleys. Like most of the Gryffindor House, he found them reckless and self-righteous. Dumbledore's glaring favoritism for them only fueled his repulsion.

    George Weasley felt the same. Their brewing hatred for each other is perhaps the only similarity they shared.

    Draco turned to look at Belinda and caught sight of a bar of chocolate, slipped right between her books.

    Unusual, Draco thought. Belinda hated sweets.

    "Why do you have a chocolate bar?" Asked Draco. "You don't like sweets."

    She widened her eyes at him. "Look at the time. I better get out of here or else I'll be working a few extra hours."

    George quickly nodded and turned to look at her. "I'll go with you."

    Draco's lips twitched in disgust as she saw George red in embarrassment. God, he hated the Wesley's. He turned back to Belinda and grabbed her hand before she could leave.

    "Can you stay? I just finished my Potions essay. I was hoping you could read it," Draco asked.

    Belinda looked at him, floored by his sudden unusual behavior.

    "Of course, I'll stay," she said.

    "I was hoping you would say that," Draco smiled as he released her hand from his. "My essay is in desperate need of resurrection."

    Belinda chuckled before turning to George. "See you on Monday?"

    George looked at her and smiled as he pushed a strand of hair away from her eyes. Anger burned in Draco's blood.

    "See you on Monday, Gaunt," George said.

     "Likewise, Weasley."

    As George left the room, Draco's mood softened. The vast expanse of the library had finally felt spacious and light. He refused to allow what he just saw to get into his head. The last thing he'd do was grant a Weasley any of his attention.