Chapter 1: Face to Face

~ Athanasia POV ~ 

Time flows like a river. It's been five years since I got reincarnated in this cheesy novel! Not to mention I'm also destined to die?! No way! But fret not, I have a plan!

For now, I'll just have to steal jewelry from the palace and put them into my goodie bags. Then I bury my pretties near the tree after I get a shovel but for god sake, I'm only five! I don't have enough strength to run back and forth just to escape my doom!

"Princess, it's time for your nap!" Lily, my nanny who begged Claude to take care of me. Just the thought of it makes me cry when she stood up for Athanasia in the novel and died along with her.

"Yes, Lily!" I went to bed after tying my bags of riches No. 7 and 8 on my legs.

After she closed the door, I quickly got out of bed and my legs were already sore from laying on top of heavy jewelry. Sigh. I really need to find a different strategy.

After running to the field, I noticed that the mysterious place was completely empty, not a soul to be seen as usual... Maybe I won't head to the tree today, it should be safe right?

Suddenly there was a line of baby cupids statue made of GOLD! Right in front of my face! This is amazing! Everything in my palace is made of marble! There are so many, then no one will notice if I take one right?

There was a bush behind the statues which gave me an idea. I could hide my pretties there. I went inside the bushes to hide my goodies until I heard footsteps. I quickly stood still and hid in between the leaves, hoping that the person wouldn't notice me.

"Strange. I thought I saw a filthy bug in my palace." A cold male voice said. His tone brought chills to my spine.

"It was probably your imagination, Your Majesty," Another male voice said.

Your Majesty?! Did I walk into the Emperor's palace?! 

I break into a cold sweat as I try to calm myself. My heart was bursting out of my chest while I felt myself lacking oxygen. Am I hyperventilating right now?! My knees are getting weak too! Why?!

JIGGLE

My legs gave in as I stumbled upon my knees and onto the ground. The sound came from riches clustering and mixing within the bag. When the crystals and golds touch, it makes a loud noise, Giving my spot away.

"What is in the bush?" He asked and was ready to fight. 

"I will check it, Your Majesty," Another one said, probably his knight.

No! If I get caught snooping around his place, then he'll execute me! Please! Please, don't come close! I shut my eyes and cover my ears really close as I pray for my life.

STEP STEP STEP

I heard him coming. The footsteps get louder and louder as he gets closer to me.

'Disappear! Disappear! I want to disappear from this place right now! Please, I don't want him to see me!' I repeated the same line over and over in my head while fearing for my life.

Suddenly I felt a strong force within myself just swirling around in my stomach 

No. All over my body! It hurts so much! What is happening to me?!

I bear with the pain as much as I can, not giving myself away. Then the noise of the footsteps begins to fade away from my mind, slowly vanishing.

After a while, the pain was gone and the atmosphere felt completely different. It was cold for some reason, then I opened my eyes and uncovered my ears. I was no longer outside but in a dark unfamiliar room. This is like every other room in the world but very gloomy here because I can't see crap!