| CH. 12

At Rosie's request, dinner was Chinese food. Nathan suggested we'd order in, considering there was a lot to discuss, to go over, and plan. I—well, I thought against it. Perhaps it was against my better judgment, but she'd been through enough. I wanted to give her one day of normalcy. So, I put on my 'father' shoes, puffed out my chest, and suggested we eat at the restaurant in town—enjoy dinner as a family.

Rosie was all for it. She took an hour's shower, dug through her bag for a change of clothes, and prettied herself up as teenagers would. I'd almost commented, but held my tongue when she said: Monty, really?

Yes, really. Put a sweater on.

Nathan was more upset he had to leave his comfort zone. I told him he could've stayed home if it really bothered him, but he reminded me I never brought him back any foo"d when I went out. "And, besides," he said, "maybe I'll bump into one of the cashiers there.

Sure, Nate.

The restaurant wasn't far, either. We walked the distance, passing the lake bordered by abandoned manors. I'd told Rosie of the stories I knew about them, about the town's past. I half thought a teenage girl would find such things boring—stories of coal mining and old factories—but she followed my finger and listened to every word. Maybe she wanted to humor me; or maybe she and I had something in common: a love for history.

"I'm starved!" Rosie exclaimed as we walked through the restaurant doors and claimed a booth at the far end. The place wasn't large—just two booths and three tables—but friendly enough that despite its small size. Lisa, the owner, and her husband Sang, made the restaurant what it was—one of the best's places to eat.

I passed out the red menus so we each had our own and opened mine in the middle. My eyes scanned the dinner entrees while my stomach growled in Morse Code what to order. I hadn't eaten all day, or the day before, and the list of chicken, beef, and duck reminded made my mouth water.

"I'll have the orange chicken!" Rosie said as she slapped her menu back down on the table.

Nathan mocked her, doing the same, but ordered, "Shrimp chop suey!"

I suddenly felt like the only adult at the table as I pulled their menus from under their hands and coupled them with my own. With a wave of my hand, Lisa walked over to our booth to take our orders. Rosie and Nathan repeated theirs, while I ordered beef and broccoli. I lacked the enthusiasm of the snickering duo as she took our menus and walked away.

"I see you both are getting along," I said, leaning back against my seat.

Rosie sat beside me, rummaging through her bag for a nail file. She smiled at me, and at Nathan, before saying, "I'm just in a good mood."

"I still think you're a brat," Nathan added.

I cocked a brow. "Coming from the man who never leaves his computer seat."

"I," Nathan patted his lips, "don't leave that spot to help you, Lamont. Never forget it."

I smirked, "Never do, Nate."

"So, this," Rosie looked at the both of us with raised brows and slowly filed her nails, "this is how roommates act?"

"He's my brother," I said as I pointed at Nathan's wavy hair, "can't you see the resemblance?"

Nathan folded his hands in front of him. "And brothers look out for each other."

Ah, don't we, my boy?

"Hm, I don't think you two look alike," Rosie dropped the file back in her bag, craning her neck to look over my head into the restaurant's kitchen, "but you're both weird."