| CH. 09

1837

"Charlie May, could you open the door for Lamont, now? I can see him out the window."

Oh, Charles, feeding her to the wolf, I see?

I returned my hat to my head, continuing my walk through the short grass. I smirked to myself; I'd accepted a dinner invitation from the Abbey's, and though I was interested in whatever business proposition Charles wanted to talk to me about, I was more interested in his daughter. Horrible, I know, but I couldn't get her out of my mind.

She stood at the window, watching me. I could see her fumbling fingers, nervous like a small child. That nervousness only piqued my interest even more. She was pure—angelic, even. A blossomed flower, radiating in a garden of intelligence and beauty, and my, did I want to pick her for myself.

As my foot hit the stairs, she rushed to the door to open it, but the wind opened it with her. She stumbled back into their sitting room, her hand still clasped on the door handle. I stepped inside, smiled at her, and removed my hat with proper manners. "Charlotte May," I said with a nod, "how are you this evening?"

Her face turned red as she shut the door with trembling hands. They didn't stop trembling, not even as she tried to flatten the front of her white dress and adjusted the sash around her waist. I wanted to take her hand in mine and I assure her I didn't bite.

Not hard, at least.

"Mr. Oliver," she said with a polite, half bow. One that made me smile.

"Simply Lamont is fine, Charlotte May."

"Apologies," she said, and did the same half bow from seconds before, "Simply Lamont."

I traced my tongue on the inside of my bottom lip and grinned right after. The red returned to her cheeks, but before I could say another word, Charles entered the room.

"Lamont," he said as he patted my back, "how are you this evening?"

I turned to face the older man. His red hair was combed back, tucked neatly at the sides. Smiling at him, I nodded. "Famished," I laughed as I glanced past him and at the dinner table, fully set for four people. I could see the pie, meats, and fruits, and Anna as she poured wine into glasses.

When she noticed me, she smiled. I nodded politely in return.

"Come then, sit!" Charles ushered me away from the door. I glanced back at Charlotte, who hadn't moved, and simply watched as I walked away. I grinned with a slight tilt of my head, motioned her to follow, but I only made her cheeks redder than they'd been before.

When I was seated at the table, I sat my hat beside me and complimented Anna on the wonderful layout of food. She thanked me, but when she noticed Charlotte didn't return with us, she went off to fetch her.

"Now," Charles said as he reached for his glass, "have you thought through anything I told you?"

I hadn't at the slightest, but he wouldn't know it. "I have," I said as I pulled a glass of wine to my lips, "not sure the judge would accept the proposal. Not with Jackson parading around."

Charles stared at his plate for a moment. I looked back at the woman; Anna whispered something in Charlotte's ear, and I wanted to smirk, but my employer looked confounded. "Charles, might I say something?"

"Of course," he said, dipping his nose into his glass of wine.

"Now, I understand where your heart is, but it doesn't seem to do you any good. Trouble's been following you. I don't believe the removal will occur here. Many towns have gone through it, leaving families a mess. Everyone here is rightfully free. With that said, they're perfectly safe, Charles."