Mind map

I opened my eyes half lidded and yawned, the smell of smoke from the fire in the barrel in front of me made it hard to sleep, though the heat was a nice change from all the cold. My back ached from sleeping flat on the floor but after two weeks on the streets you'd think I'd get used to that. I groaned as I got up to stretch and pop back anything that hurt per usual, I looked around to see several groups looking at me with weary eyes, a loner usually doesn't survive this long. I sighed as I felt their eyes burn on me, anxiety kicked in and I became aware that the only ones not looking at me were the ones asleep, I was new to the under-bridge and people don't like new. I sat and looked at the floor, feeling some eyes turn from me, others trying to work out what I was doing and others looked to be sizing me up.

" Copper! Good to see you're awake! " I held my breath as I looked up, the person who ran this safety thing was looking down at me, his loud voice seemed to silence some others, sending their gazes my way. What did you expect? I'd die in my sleep?
" morning, Brock. " people usually didn't give their names freely, but Brock was way too trusting. He had nicely styled dark brown hair and sunglasses, he was a strange man, kind, but still strange.
" got plans on how you're going to eat today? " he placed his hands on his side and smiled at me, a pity smile, sure, but it was a nice gesture nonetheless. I really didn't want to tell him I'd pick pocket, I was good at that, like skilled greatly, I was just sneaky. I opened my mouth to speak but found I couldn't say what I wanted to.
" Prostitution! " someone shouted, then a group started to howl with laughter and pointed at me, shit. Good impression. My anger boiled, oh I was pissed. I stood up but Brock put a hand on my shoulder while glaring at the group who were shoving each other around. Brock put a hand behind his back and cleared his throat after a while, the group turned to look at him, still snickering.
" Tom, " he spoke calmly and smoothly. One head perked upwards and I glared dangers into it. " I'm sure Copper can tell us how he'll get food. " I flinched and tensed, glancing at Brock before mumbling under my breath, he turned to look at me, one eyebrow raised in confusion to what I said.

" what did he say? Give a lap dance to someone rich? " Tom mocked, his friends began to howl with laughter again. I growled under my breath and moved forwards, leaving Brock's hand to fall from my shoulder as I stomped towards them, only one looked slightly scared. I grabbed tom by the collar on his dirty shirt.
" you know that's not what I fucking do, keep dreaming, Tom. " I sneered in his ear and he looked angered and a bit scared as he grabbed the hand that was holding his collar. " you wanna know what I fucking do? " I asked threatening him.
" Copper. " Brock warned, " any fights and you're out. " I ignored his call and glared at Tom. He stayed silent and widened his eyes as if he thought of the options.

" I pickpocket, that's what I do, I steal things, and I'm pretty fucking good at it. " I regretted it almost instantly, my confidence dropping as I dropped him to where his friends were and turned around to walk back to my spot. I saw people with wide eyes, why would a thief be important? And why now are they interested in me?

" I don't believe you. " I froze and turned around slowly, Tom stood behind me, with narrow eyes.
" what? " I asked simply my tone growing sharper as I glared into his cold green eyes, he was taller than me, but he doesn't know what makes me different yet.

" I said I don't believe you. " he said confidently with a raised chin, we stood and glared daggers at each other for a few moments until he smirked, he had the audacity to smirk? Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Brock, arms folded, determining who would be the one to throw the first punch and get kicked out. I had an idea
" you don't need to believe me, you're just to stubborn. " I said and turned around to walk away a smirk evident in my face to all but the ones behind me, oh this'll be fun.

" excuse me? " he said and I didn't turn around, just kept walking.
" you heard me, " I shouted over my shoulder, " or should I add being death to the list of defects your mother abandoned you for? " people's eyes widened, I studied my enemy's more than I have my allies. I heard a shaky breath behind me.
" how did you- " Tom cut himself off and I knew what he was doing, I waited, unsure, my back turned to my enemy, then at the last moments. I side stepped/leaped to my side, my legs taking me as far as Brock who was still watching Tom recover from missing his punch. As Tom dusted himself off and readied another punch at me he realised who I was standing behind and lowered his fist.