24

" Neteyam?"

At the sound of his name, Vareya and Neteyam were brought back down to reality. Whatever trance they had fallen into, the one that made them do and say reckless things without thinking, dispersed just as quickly as it came.

The pair jumped away from each other, still breathing heavily with flushed faces from what just almost happened. Vareya especially seemed to be the most stunned of the two.

She couldn't believe she allowed it to get that far. Couldn't believe that she lost all her self respect that quickly and didn't put a stop to it. What annoyed her the most though, even with her inner conscience yelling otherwise, was that she didn't want him to stop. Her heart was still pounding from excitement, her skin still tingling from the feeling of his sharp fangs teasing her neck. It was wrong. So very wrong.

They made quick eye contact, and in a way, she was almost grateful for whomever was calling Neteyams name. They just saved her from doing something so unlike her, as well as having to deal with the awkward interaction the pair was sure to have after. Yet right now, they had no time to even think about anything other than the voice below them.

" Neteyam?" this time the voice sounded closer but much lower, as if the person was whispering. 

With a panicked face, Neteyam carefully peeked from the opening of her hut to see the person below. He must've been successful at identifying who it was because he backed away quickly, holding his head in his hands as he began pacing back and forth.

" Shit shit shit. I was so careful how did he find me?" he was mumbling to himself, his eyes wide and panicked.

" Who is it?" she asked, taking a subtle step closer to her bow and arrow. Yet apparently she wasn't as subtle as she believed because Neteyam held his hands up, telling her to stop.

" No, don't. It's my brother."

" He followed you?" she hissed lowly.

" I guess, but I was so careful I don't know how I didn't realize he did."

Vareya let out a frustrated breath, " Skxawng. It's fine, he obviously doesn't know where you are. Just wait till he leaves."

" He's not going to leave. He's looking for me but he's going to continue searching until he finds me."

With a roll of her eyes, she grabbed her bow, " Then how about he gets a little warning from a fellow outcast."

The mischievous glint in her eyes scared him, " Are you insane?"

" I'm not but he sure is. Aonung clearly warned both you guys to stay clear of my hut. I need to give him a reminder, can't have him getting comfortable like someone I know." 

Taking the bow from her hands, he sternly told her, " You are not shooting my brother."

Vareya grinned evilly, " Not even a scratch?"

" No!" he whispered yelled, " Just, let me think for a second."

Walking towards her opening again, she herself took a glance out before saying, " I'd suggest thinking faster, he's roaming deeper into the forest."

" Wiya! I need to go before he gets himself lost. I'll see you tomorrow." Neteyam left in a rush. But if he thought she was just going to sit there, he was so very wrong.

_____

Neteyam rushed after his brother before he got too far. He couldn't believe this was happening, he was so careful to make sure no one was ever following him. Made sure to even hide behind bushes and cut between trees whenever he went to Vareyas just to be safe. And the fact that it was Lo'ak of all people. The brother who is always looking for trouble.