15

7 Years Ago...

Vareya secured the last knot, tightening the vine around the beanstalk palm. She stepped back to admire the self made nivi. After days of work, they had finally finished the anticipated relaxing spot just for them.

Kai took a step back also, proudly admiring their creation with a smile. " Well? Didn't I tell you it would be great?"

Vareya carefully got on top of the hammock, getting used to its wobbliness. Laying down on it, she let out a breath of satisfaction. With her eyes closed she answered, " I suppose this is one good of many bad ideas you've had."

Kai scoffed, " I'd have you know, I've had plenty of good ideas. The problem is, all my ideas are fun, while you're boring."

" Yeah, mhm." Vareya hummed lowly as she turned away from him.

She heard him gruff, " Alright Reya, my turn now. It was my idea, remember?"

Vareya waved him off, only curling into herself more. Kai glared into the back of her head just as another one of his amazing ideas popped into his own.

" Suit yourself." he laughed as he jumped on the hammock, the unstable swing struggling to hold the two young Na'vi.

" Kai stop- we're going to-" she couldn't even finish her sentence before, just as predicted, the hammock turned under their weight and the pair landed on the sand with a loud thud.

They both groaned, but Kai turned his into laughter when he saw Vareyas annoyed face. " You idiot child." She muttered.

Kai frowned, " Ouch Reya," he tapped his chest with his fist, " Like an arrow to my heart."

Vareya rolled her eyes with a smirk, before they stared at each other with seriousness. Both of their focus shifted to each other, then back towards the hammock still rocking softly.

Both their noses scrunched slightly, fangs glistening under the sun. Their expressions were attempted to be a snarl, but if anyone saw them, it would easily be mistaken for a smile. The pair launched their bodies towards the hammock at the same time, and fought for the spot.

Kai being faster, he managed to set one leg on the nivi before Vareya grabbed his other leg, and yanked him off roughly. With that momentum, she successfully laid her body on the hammock, tugging the sides of it and wrapping them around her.

Kai stood angrily, but instead of admitting his defeat, he grinned widely. Vareya instantly felt unsafe.

" Kai-" she said looking at him suspiciously as he grabbed a piece of the hammock. " Kai, what are you doing-"

Her words were practically ripped out of her as Kai began to spin her. Vareya let out a screech as she clutched the hammock tighter around her to avoid from flying out.

Kai meanwhile, was laughing the entire time, and despite her situation and the fact she could feel her head begin to spin from how fast he's turning her, a traitorous laugh of her own escaped. A sound so raw and genuine it urged Kai to pick up his pace, wanting to hear more of her rare laughter.

But he was distracted, and when he went to grab the hammock, his hand went too wide, gripping the vine instead. The hammocks momentum was far too strong, and the vine cut deep into his skin.

He yanked it back with a hiss, and Vareya who was still in the hammock, could only wait until the hammock stopped spinning, " W-what hap-happened?" she asked as the hammock finally began to slow down.