Chapter 14 - The Wrong Gender

As Jake composed a text message to his Mum, he carefully typed out each word, ensuring clarity and reassurance. "Hey Mum, just wanted to let you know that I'm alright. I'll be heading home soon," he wrote, his thumb hovering over the send button before confidently pressing down.

Turning his attention away from his phone, Jake found himself facing Liam, whose emotions seemed to have burst forth like a dam breaking. Liam poured out his feelings, expressing them to Jake in a torrent of honesty. It was a moment both terrifying and exhilarating for Jake because deep down, he had always yearned for this connection. He craved to love and be loved in return, and Liam represented the epitome of those desires. Liam was Jake's first crush, his first love, and the one person he truly cherished.

Yet, amidst the overwhelming rush of emotions, Jake couldn't ignore the daunting reality that lay ahead. He understood the challenges and obstacles they would face in making their relationship work. Their journey together would demand resilience, understanding, and unwavering commitment if they were to have any hope of a future together.

"So, what do we do now? Do we pretend the kiss never happened?" Jake gulped, his heart racing with fear as he awaited Liam's response. The prospect of Liam agreeing to forget about it filled Jake with dread; the thought of returning to the days of mere acquaintances passing each other on the street was unbearable. Jake despised that notion. "Do you just want to erase me from your existence outside of college? Are we to carry on as best friends during the day, only to ignore each other's existence when we get home?" Jake's voice trembled with emotion as he poured out his fears to Liam. "Because, deep down, Liam, I don't think I can handle that. Losing you would devastate me. But I'd rather face that pain head-on now than cling to false hopes of salvaging our friendship or earning your love," Jake concluded, his words tinged with raw honesty and vulnerability.

Hearing Jake's heartfelt words stirred a tumult of emotions within Liam, leaving him at a loss for how to respond. He gazed out of the window, the landscape blurred by the flood of memories that cascaded through his mind. Images of their shared past, of laughter and mischief, danced before his eyes, reminding him of the bond they shared, even on this abandoned farm. With a heavy swallow, he struggled to find the right words.

"I... I don't know," Liam began, his voice tinged with vulnerability. "I love you, Jake. I truly do, and that won't change. But you have to understand the weight of the facade I carry." He paused, his eyes reflecting the turmoil within. "If we were to reveal our feelings and become a couple, my dad... he'd never accept it. It's not just disapproval; it's a matter of life and death. You have to understand the gravity of that."

Liam's hand instinctively moved to cover his face, as if shielding himself from the overwhelming confusion and pain that gripped him. Beneath his facade of angst, his emotions churned with worry over the potential consequences of their decision. "What do you want me to do, Jake? What do you want me to say?" he implored, his voice tinged with desperation. In that moment, he grappled with the agonizing uncertainty of their future, torn between his love for Jake and the harsh reality of their circumstances.

"Just know, Jake, that whatever happens, I love you. I always have, and I always will," Liam confessed, his voice laden with sincerity. He shifted to face Jake fully, his expression raw with emotion. "Deep down, I've always felt this way. I just couldn't bring myself to admit it. When you came out to me, I was terrified. Terrified that my feelings could be real, and terrified of what that meant."

Liam's words spilled out with a torrent of honesty, each syllable weighed down by the burden of their reality. "Because, deep down, I know this can't happen. We can't be together, Jake. Not while I'm living under my dad's roof," he explained, his tone heavy with resignation.