Day Three After Death

By apillarnamed

This is another poem I wrote while I was in Professor Johnson's "Conceptions of the Self" seminar at Southern... More

Day Three After Death

7 0 0
By apillarnamed

You now live in your pronouns: in your nameless identifiers, in the outline on cracked asphalt, in the too few evidence markers. Maybe if I say your's enough, I could shape the rest of you out of those cherry stems, the green ones we spat out knotted on the fire escape.

But you—no. She...

No.

Something is missing. To magnify a chalk outline on the pavement, I need something more than futile hope, more than a neighborhood waiting for the unapt obituary. We need a name, but even I can't say it. Instead, we pray to the "you" and "she" and "her's" and "ours," speak of you in every sentence we have left to say.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.9M 1.3M 37
"You are mine," He murmured across my skin. He inhaled my scent deeply and kissed the mark he gave me. I shuddered as he lightly nipped it. "Danny, y...
13K 2.6K 29
Deep inside the depths of melancholy and vulnerability, where every word holds the weight of a thousand unspoken truths, discover secrets only whispe...
90.6M 2.9M 134
He was so close, his breath hit my lips. His eyes darted from my eyes to my lips. I stared intently, awaiting his next move. His lips fell near my ea...
9.4K 54 64
Would it make any difference? If we knew that it was the last time we would see each other again?