Shadow

Av brandyn

After CA:TWS: Bucky struggles to find normalcy in his life. But he's not the only one. Mer

Plans

Directive

12 1 0
Av brandyn

"I need your eyes." Natasha didn't bother with a greeting as she swept into the gym. Clint winced at the sudden fracture of silence. But, judging from her obvious tension, he abandoned his solitude without complaint, tossing his knuckle guards on the bench beside him.

"What's going on?"

Natasha paused, still typing away on her phone. Clint cleared his throat, shifting his weight in anticipation. Finally, she tucked her phone away and her grey eyes met his blue ones.

"I have a problem. It'll be delt with quickly, but I need you there to help keep things clean. Do you remember a few years back when Fury had me tear apart that corrupt jewelry chain here in Manhattan?"

Clint smiled. "Yeah. I remember you left a dozen of them locked in a shipping container hanging three hundred feet over the port. Law enforcement had a hell of a time getting them out."

Natasha didn't smile.

"I was just contacted by John Madrio. He knows I'm here, in the tower. He wants to meet and introduce me to someone. I don't like it."

Clint nodded. "I have your back. What's his ETA?"

"Eight o'clock. Stay ghost."

Clint scoffed, grabbing his jacket and tossing it over his shoulder.

"Come on, Nat. It's not my first rodeo."

She smirked and followed him out of the gym.

********************************

"Welcome home, kiddos." Tony met the soldiers at the front desk on the ground floor of the tower. Steve nodded in greeting. Bucky simply hefted his duffle higher on his shoulder. He and Tony engaged in a subtle stare down that Steve didn't miss.

"So where are we staying, Stark?" Steve couldn't help the clipped tone in his voice. This whole move had become an ordeal. And frankly, he was done. Tony tore his gaze from Bucky and regarded Steve with an arched brow.

"JARVIS. Show these boys to their rooms."

"Yes, sir."

Bucky marched to the elevator, tension radiating off him like steam. Steve curtly nodded to Tony and followed the winter soldier before the doors could slide shut.

The silence in the elevator was deafening. Steve chanced a glance at Bucky, who glared straight ahead. Steve sighed.

"Look, Bucky. This is the best place for you right now. At least until we get some answers. And Stark can help us get some. He's not that bad... Once you train your brain to filter him out." Steve felt his argument fall flat before he even finished stating it. He frowned at the floor of the elevator.

Bucky said nothing.

"Captain, your room will be the second room to the left. Mr. Barnes, yours will be the third to your right. Mr. Stark has ensured that this floor is completely vacant to cater to your privacy." The AI spoke as the elevator came to a stop and the doors slid open, revealing a bare, but comfortable hall.

"Thank you, Jarvis." Steve looked to Bucky for a reaction. Bucky maintained his blank expression exiting the elevator. Steve groaned internally, and followed his friend down the hall. He hesitated at his door, watching Bucky disappear through his own, slamming the door behind him. Steve opened his door and glanced around. Everything was very simple, yet luxurious. Plush, cream colored carpet. Smooth, dark wood walls. Matching furniture. A bed, nightstand, dresser, desk, and chair. An overwhelming view of Manhattan dominated the room with floor to ceiling windows on the far side of the room. No decor. Steve dropped his bag unceremoniously on the bed and walked to the window. He stared at the hum drum of life below without really seeing it. He was picturing the city the way it used to be. Just as busy, but in a way, more comfortable. He had been out of the ice for nearly a year now, but looking around his city was no less painful. Everywhere there were reminders of who he was and what he had lost. He was, after all, the soldier out of time.

*****************************

"Shadow, remind me to have a dress made for you in the near future. It has just dawned on me that you are going to look ridiculous dressed as you are in Miss Rome's and my own presence. I suppose I could have you pose as a body guard..." John's words were cut short by a sharp rap on his window. John rolled down the glass and smiled hugely as the gorgeous red head descended the front steps of Stark Tower. Her black dress hung provocatively low in the back and clung to her curves in a way that left little to the imagination, while maintaining a classic and even elegant silhouette. The chauffeur opened the door, allowing John to stand and greet her.

"Miss Rome. I must say, you grow more beautiful everytime I see you." He took her hand and laid a kiss across her knuckles. Internally, Natasha gagged.

"It's been a while, John. Perhaps your memory is simply failing you?" She gave him a sly smile and pulled her hand away. He stepped aside and gestured for her to enter the vehicle.

"Perhaps. Lets see if you can jog my memory."

She slid into the vehicle, hesitating when she lay eyes on the uniformed woman sitting across from her. John slid in after her, smiling like the Cheshire cat. "Miss Rome, this is my dear friend Shadow. Shadow this is Miss Rome. Say hello."

Shadow nodded curtly at Natasha.

"Hello." Her voice was low and even. Natasha tensed slightly. Something was off.

"Hello. John, why is it you asked to see me? I was under the impression you were severely displeased with me."

John laughed a short bark. "Displeased? No, of course not. Though I was a bit put out to discover that you were undermining my entire operation and costing me millions as well as consorting with my enemies to have me locked away. That wasn't a very friendly thing to do. And while most would hold a grudge, I've asked you out tonight to assure you that I harbor no ill will for you or yours." Natasha stared hard at him. Something was very wrong.

"Would it hurt your feelings if I were to say that I don't believe you?" She watched him closely. He smiled again, giving nothing away.

"Not at all. I am a firm believer in the golden rule. And on the flip side of that, if I had wronged you and this scene were reversed I would wager I wouldn't trust you either. But you should relax, Natalie. If I had wanted to hurt you, I would have done so this morning when your flight arrived. Ah! We have arrived." The limo slid smoothly to a stop in front of an elegant and expensive looking restaurant. Natasha shot a fleeting glance to Shadow, who still sat rigid, staring straight ahead.

"Come along, Shadow." John stepped out of the vehicle and stopped to offer Natasha a hand. She took it, and they walked into the restaurant with Shadow trailing on their heels.

*********************************

Clint watched the agent disappear into the black limo. The moment he'd laid eyes on John, he'd felt a spike of unease. The limo pulled away from the curb and he followed on foot. He had a pretty good idea where an ostentatious man like Madrio would take a gorgeous woman like Natasha. Minutes later he rounded a corner just in time to see Natasha emerge from the limo. He stood in the shadows watching as another woman exited the limo right behind her. This woman obviously didn't belong. Her long blond hair was pulled back in a tight, high pony tail. She wore a black and slate gray armor body suit and combat boots. She appeared to be unarmed, but his agent training told him otherwise. She followed John and Natasha in to the building like a shadow.

"This can't be good." Clint muttered, entering the building across from the restaurant and making for the roof. Luckily for Nat, the restaurant's roof was all glass, so Clint would be able to monitor everything from the roof across the street. Once on the roof, Clint turned on his ear comm.

"Nat, do you copy? I'm in position on the roof to your nine. If you copy, sip the water." He watched anxiously as Nat picked up her glass and sipped. He didn't relax though. Something was wrong.

********************************

"So, Miss Rome. I haven't seen or heard from you in a while. What have you been up to?" John sat back in his chair, sipping his bourbon. He watched her like a lazy cat watches a trapped mouse. She could play his game.

"Oh, not too much. Just saving the world one jewelry chain at a time. How about you? I hear you got out eight months ago. I thought your sentence was for fifteen to life?" John didn't bat an eye at her obvious attempt to bait a reaction out of him.

"Yes, well the DA reconsidered my sentencing and I have you to thank for that, Natalie. Or should I say... Natasha Romanoff." He sipped his bourbon with a smirk. Natasha felt herself tense like a spring.

"Now don't be alarmed, Natasha. The world knows who you are. You are the one who told them. I'm surprised you didn't think anyone would do anything. After all, the Black Widow did alot of damage to alot of people. She has alot to answer for, don't you think?"

Natasha shrugged, playing with the napkin in her lap.

"So you brought me here for what?"

John sat up.

"As I said before, I brought to here to assure you, I mean you no harm. As long as-"

"There it is. The catch. You brought me here to black mail me into doing something for you. Nice touch bringing me somewhere crowded. Your nuts if you think I won't take you out in front of an audience. Wouldn't be the first time." Now Natasha smiled, stirring her drink in triumph.

John paused. Then began laughing, loud and boisterously. Natasha hesitated in confusion.

"Oh my dear Natasha. I don't doubt that you would try. But you see, Shadow has been instructed to do whatever I tell her to do. That includes, but is not by any means limited to killing. Now. As I was saying before you so rudely interrupted me... I simply need a small favor. In exchange for this favor, you have my word that I will never do you or yours harm. That includes your archer friend on the roof across the street. What was his name? Ah, yes. Barton." Natasha felt her stomach drop.

'Nat! Did he just...? Shit. Someone's got eyes on me.' Clint's voice crackled through her comm.

"Yes. I know your game. You play it well, but you're too predictable. Now, about that favor-" He was cut off by Natasha pulling her gun from her thigh holster, but before she could even line up a decent shot, the gun was dismantled, leaving her holding a worthless grip with a trigger. She heard a click to her left and turned to see Shadow holding a gun to her head with her right hand and holding the dismantled pieces of Natasha's gun in her left. Natasha gaped at the blonde in shock. The blonde's face held no emotion. Just deadly focus.

"If I were you, Natasha, I'd sit down before someone gets hurt." John's voice was mocking. Natasha bristled. She'd had enough for one night. Feigning relaxing into her seat, Natasha flipped the table with one hand and swung at Shadow with the other.

"Clint! Get off the roof! Now!"

She swung her arm up just in time to push Shadow's gun away a second time, this time the gun firing right by her head. She winced as her ears rang. Suddenly she felt the air leave her body as something collided with her side, sending her crashing into another table. She rolled on to her back just in time to see Shadow swing a boot down towards her face. She dodged and rolled to her feet, taking her fighting stance. The restaurant was already in chaos, diners running for the exits, upending chairs in their mad dash. Dishes and silver littered the floor and shards of glass and crystal glittered in the low light of the restaurant. John clapped and walked over to stand beside Shadow. Natasha watched, still in her stance.

"Natasha, it is my deepest regret that you refuse to even consider my offer. But, perhaps it just wasn't meant to be."

Natasha watched as he reached up to Shadows neck and pulled down her jacket collar to reveal a literal collar. He pushed a button on the collar and whispered something in her ear. Shadow's eyes narrowed and she took a fighting stance. John smiled and nodded to Natasha before turning on his heel and following the panicked crowd out the front lobby.

Natasha straightened, watching him disappear into the fray, missing Shadow's approach.

"Nat!"

Clint's voice rang out from across the room, just a moment too late. Shadow kicked Nat hard behind the knees, taking her down hard. Nat rolled heels over head, jumped to her feet and lashed out at Shadow. They exchanged blow for block evenly, Nat struggling to keep up at times. On the side lines, Clint watched in disbelief as his best friend had met her match.

"Clint! A little... Help... Would... Be great." Nat gasped as the hurricane that was Shadow continued to rage against her. Shadow was fast, efficient, and unforgiving. She was a machine. Nat was fast, efficient, and tiring quickly. The sweat stung her eyes as she blocked another flying kick from her assailant.

Clint notched an arrow and took aim. He released.

At that same moment, Nat failed to block a right hook from Shadow, allowing Shadow time to grab her arm and swing her body into the path of the loosed arrow. The dull *thwat* of the arrow finding its mark echoed through the destroyed restaurant like hearing a pin drop. Everything froze for a moment. Natasha looked down in shock to see the feathered end of the arrow protruding from between her ribs on her right side. Clint lowered his newly drawn bow and arrow, looking on in horror. Shadow released her grip on Natasha, reaching around to grasp the arrow and rip it out. Natasha cried out in pain as the arrow was freed from her chest. Clint raised his bow again.

"Stop! Back off from her!"

Shadow paused, still clutching the arrow in her fist. Nat collapsed to her knees, clutching the wound in her side. Shadow glanced at the archer, then focused back on the woman before her. Clint released the arrow. It never found it's mark, having been snatched out of thin air. Shadow took another step toward Natasha, an arrow in each hand. Suddenly, Nat had an idea.

"Barton, shoot her again!" She snarled, gathering her feet under her. Barton obliged, growling in frustration when that arrow was snatched from the air too. But as Shadow turned to catch the arrow, Natasha lunged, her hands clasping at the collar around Shadow's neck. She found the button John had used and pressed, but not before Shadows arm came back, lodging an arrow deep in Nat's left side. As soon as the button was pushed, Shadow froze, releasing her grip on the the arrows. Natasha hissed and fell to her knees at Shadow's feet. Clint approached this time his gun drawn. He eyed Shadow in distrustful confusion.

"Nat, you ok? What the hell just happened?" He crouched beside Nat, examining her wounds. Nat hissed in pain as he helped her to her feet.

"Directive?" They both looked at Shadow. She stared at them expectantly, awaiting orders. Clint looked at Natasha.

"Was that a reset button or something?" Nat shrugged and turned back to Shadow.

"Follow us to Stark Tower. Make sure we aren't followed." Shadow's body jerked and her eyes narrowed again. She gave a curt nod and headed for the back exit. Clint shook his head.

"That was too wierd."

Fortsätt läs

Du kommer också att gilla

175K 17.8K 96
The universe gave me another chance after life screwed me over. My second life brought me to a world where people breath fire, walk on water and some...
178K 8K 25
"မောင် မဆိုးစမ်းနဲ့ကွယ်" "ကျုပ်ကိုမချုပ်ခြယ်နဲ့"
74.3K 4.1K 29
Pluto thai gl novel မြန်မာဘာသာပြန်
23.2K 1.8K 34
people read the book trust me on this one