POINT BREAK|

Autorstwa ombredelemort

"She wrapped her arms around me, each kiss leaving the taste of salt against my skin. She rocked me, cradled... Więcej

POINT BREAK
ρoιnт вreaĸ : prologue
ρoιnт вreaĸ : one
ρoιnт вreaĸ : three
ρoιnт вreaĸ : four
Author's Note
ρoιnт вreaĸ : five
ρoιnт вreaĸ : six
ρoιnт вreaĸ : seven
ρoιnт вreaĸ : eight
ρoιnт вreaĸ : nine

ρoιnт вreaĸ : two

1.2K 63 12
Autorstwa ombredelemort

I'm fumbling with the tie on my swimsuit top when my phone begins vibrating against the Oakwood dresser. It matches the bed set - the only two new pieces of furniture that Aunt Lana bought. Along with a bed set - a canary yellow color with fluffy white pillows.

I tried to jazz the room up: adding a picture of my family to the dresser and a poster of Robert Pattinson on the wall. They're painted a sky blue, and a painting of the beach hangs above my bed. Finally managing to tie the black string with assurance it won't come loose I manage to answer the phone on the seventh ring.

"Hello," I answer breathless.

"Taylor," my mom squeaks into the phone, exhaling loudly as though this huge wait has been lifted off her chest. "What took you so long? I was growing worried."

"I'm getting dressed," I chew some on my bottom lip, "one of Aunt Lana's neighbors has invited me to go to the beach."

"Oh Taylor, that's nice. Is she being nice, your aunt? What about the neighbor? Is it a boy?" My heart lifts some at my mom's quick talking, another similarity her and Lana share.

"Relax- Aunt Lana and the girl, they're both nice. Mike's nice too. I'm really -well, I'm having a good time so far."

"That's good," his mother said, "I really want you to have a good time. I don't want to keep you, I just - I just wanted to make sure you were alright. I really do miss you."

"I miss you too."

"Alright," she says, "I'll let you go. Call me tonight?"

"I promise. I love you mom."

"I love you too Taylor."

━━━━━━━━❀━━━━━━━━

Becca likes to talk, which I don't really mind because it makes it easier not to think so much and the more she talks the less I have to. Occasionally she'll stop to ask me a question: Do I like Kaui? What's California really like? Can I swim? It isn't until the latter that I open up a little more. I joined the swim team sophomore year, fell in love with it and have been swimming ever since then.

I know we're getting closer to the beach because that salty taste is there against my lips again.

"So who'll all be here?" I ask her as I place my hands into my front pockets of my denim shorts.

"Besides everyone glad school's over? Well there's my friend Ida, she's real chill, you'll like her. Then there's my cousin Keno and his friend Kai." There are a lot of people already inhabiting the beach - a majority of them in the water.

I follow Becca across the beach, a smile gracing my lips, surprisingly at the feeling of the warm sand that shifts into my sandals.

"There she is," a female, who I assume to be Ida, says. She waves her hand toward Becca. "Bah, what took you so long?" She asks as she flips her light brown hair over her shoulder. "You left me with these two dorks," she feigns being upset. Over her shoulder I catch two tall guys, tanned, and muscular, coming back from the water. They're holding surfboards underneath their arms, laughing. I admit, I become jealous at the sight of their easiness.

"I stopped by Lana's for some sunscreen," Becca says as she tips her head toward me, "this is her niece, Taylor. Taylor this is Ida." I take Ida's hand and shake it.

"You just moved out here?" she asks me.

"Nah, just spending the summer with my aunt."

"Sounds chill."

I shrug.

Cupping her hands around her mouth Becca calls out at the boys. "Hey losers hurry up" They look up and I can see one of them stick their tongue out. They come to a slow jog before finally reaching us.

"Easy brah," one of them says as he sticks his board into the sand. It's a light green with yellow and white stripes that wind around it. Beside it are two other boards, one a solid purple and the other silver with red stars along the tail area.

"I want you to meet someone. Taylor, this is Keno, my cousin." Keno has a round face, soft in features. His eyes are a dark brown and he has really long lashes. His hair is dripping with water, curling this way and that. He sticks his hand out and I take it.

"Sorry about the water." His cheeks tint red as he wipes his hands on his wet shorts.

Eventually the other guy comes toward us. He shakes his head and the thick wavy strands shoot water out, flinging onto my face and neck. I yelp at the feeling and he looks up, smiling. There's a dimple in his left cheek.

"Sorry man."

"I'm not a man," I snap out.

"Yeah Kai, I thought even you were smart enough to know that. With all the girls you've dated, I figured you were an expert on the female species by now," Becca says in between her laughter. I feel my cheeks burn red, now embarrassed by my reaction.

"Shut up or I'll tell your ma' how mean you are. You know she loves me." Kai gives me an eye crinkling smile, apologetic almost. "Sorry about that, I'm Kai."

"T-Taylor," I stammer out.

"Careful Taylor, Kai's a ladies’ man," Ida warns me.

"Just because you can't keep a boyfriend, doesn't give you the right to hate on such a charming brah," Keno jumps to Kai's defense.

"Thanks man," Kai says, clapping him on the shoulder. "Hey you guys are getting in yah? Waves are killer today."

"Of course we are!" Ida glares at Becca, "Missy here made me carry her board - she better get in."

"Oh you know it," Becca says, already pulling off her beige shorts.

"Ow," Kai says, biting his fist.

"Stop being a creep," Ida says with a roll of her eyes. She starts to take off her shorts as she looks up at me. "You surf?"

I enjoyed listening in on the conversation, now with everyone focused on me, especially Kai, I'm a fit of nerves and awkwardness.

"Nah, I've - it's not my thing." They all shake their heads and grin.

"It's not your thing, til it's your thing," Keno says, his voice low and slow, real stoner like it makes me laugh.

"You don't make sense," Becca says shaking her head. "Taylor swims - she won second place for her swim team last year."

I shake my head. "It was nothing, really."

Becca tosses her shorts near Ida's. "Well hopefully you get in the water and we'll be the judge. For now we surf!"

"Now you're speaking my language," Keno says, already heading for his board.

"Keep Taylor company?" Becca asks Kai and he shrugs.

"Sure, I need a break." He plops down on the sand, his arms dangling over his knees.

"Cool, see you in a bit," the girls call as they grab their boards, already jogging down toward the water. I take a seat beside Kai, engrossed in seeing how this turns out.

They all lie on their boards, paddling further and further. A wave comes up and I watch in anticipation as Becca stands up.

"Wow," I say under my breath as the wave and board slap against each other. Becca's body twists as she hits the wave again.

"Killer yeah?" Kai asks.

"Yeah it's pretty amazing."

"Yeah- you know she only started this year. I taught her myself."

"Really," I asked him, not shocked that Becca only learned to surf this year but that he taught her.

"Yes," he says with a cocky scoff as he looks at me. "What you don't believe me?"

"I just don't think anyone can take you serious."

"Why's that? Is it because of my damn good looks?" Kai laughs as he brushes his thumb under his chin. I snort.

"No," I dumbly pause to admire his handsomeness though before continuing. "It's your attitude."

"What's wrong with my attitude?" He furrows his brows, confounded by me.

"Nothing." I lay my head on my knees and sigh out, watching over and over as Ida, Becca and Keno take to the waves. They all surf differently. Ida obviously has been surfing for a long time, she goes deeper, waits for bigger waves and offers more variation with her tricks. She's fluid, one with the water. Keno is clumsy and messy, but you can tell he just likes to have a good time.

Becca is timid at times, but in a sense, it seems like her and the ocean are good friends.

━━━━━━━━❀━━━━━━━━

We sit here watching before the three are finally coming back, laughing and dripping.

"Kai, you gotta get back out there."

"Howzit?" he asks as he stands up, dusting the sand off his shorts. Ida and Becca collapse at my side.

"Spectacular, fer sure," Keno answers.

"Did he play nice?" Becca asks me.

I laugh, "Yeah - he did."

With his board tucked under his arm, Kai takes a look at me. "Hey blondie you coming?" He asks with a slight smirk. I stare, dumbfounded before shaking my head.

"I could never do that."

"Oh sure you could," Ida says, "Becca learned in like a day or well a week."

"Yeah, I mean, you've got the whole summer to be kickass - start early!" I shake my head, hiding behind my hair.

"I really couldn't, I mean I - I just."

"Yeah she's right," Kai says as he shrugs. He looks up and meets my eyes. "I mean look at her, she's small and too skinny, and the wave will crush her."

"Don't be a jerk," Ida says. From the corner of my eye I see Becca give him this smirk. I know what he's doing, the problem is, and it’s working.

"I bet you can't stand for thirty seconds," Kai adds as he licks his lips. I quickly stand up.

"Bet I could," I respond, like a little kid. Keno hoots, and begins to cackle.

"Then do it," Kai challenges me, "The waves aren't that vicious, it'll be easy, I mean - if you can even get to your feet."

I roll my tongue around in my mouth. "It can't be that hard," I say with a shrug.

━━━━━━━━❀━━━━━━━━

Everyone's throwing information in my direction, how to paddle, how to dive under the water. 'Don’t fight the current.' 'Dig down deep when you paddle.' If it weren't for the cocky smile Kai gives me every now and then, I'd give up and head home. But the competitive person in me tells me not to and I can just hear Kayleigh's voice, pushing me.

'C'mon Tay, show him.' I smile a little at that.

Becca lends me her board, the purple one. Kai's board is this rich orange color with a white flower in the center.

When Becca hands me the board I shift some under the weight, it's still a bit wet so it slips some, but I manage to get it to the water.

"We'll ride the white wash first, so you get used to it," Kai says as if offering me a courtesy.

"When I yell pop, jump up," Becca says. "You can do this Taylor, we believe in you."

"Thanks.” Following Kai's lead, I step into the water.

It's cold as it laps at my toes and I shiver a little.

━━━━━━━━❀━━━━━━━━

It seems easy enough and when I hear Ida or Becca say pop, I jump. I manage to catch two waves on the whitewash. Now’s the real test.

I lie on the board like Ida demonstrated, my face pinched in terror as it wobbles against the water.

"Whoa," I say and smile. It's like someone's holding you up - there's the security of their arms but also the fear that they'll drop you.

The waves are intimidating, but I manage to survive them, doing what I can remember. I paddle a little more, my arms alternating. There's a wave coming and I start to try and ride it when I feel the board give out some under me.

I scream and hold onto the board, hoping it will bring me to the surface, but I'm only thrashed around. I can hear my name each time I break the surface. Coughing, I wipe my eyes of the salt water and look around.

"She's too far," I hear Ida say. "Taylor come back!" I'm a good swimmer, but there's something different - I feel weak and vulnerable. Another wave hits me. Frantic, I try to hold onto the board.

Looking back, I realize the shore is too far away. Suddenly Kai is there, beside me, his hand on my board.

"Hold on, and follow me," he says - and while I know he's trying to lead me to safety, I struggle with the idea of quitting.

Kai tries to turn me around but another wave comes and he loses his grip. He reaches out for me again.

"Don't," I yell. I'm determined. I won't let the water chew

me up. I won't let Kai be right. I won't let Kayleigh down.

This time when the wave comes, I'm prepared. I duck underneath, holding my breath. My hands are pressed against the board, at my shoulders when I come up, the wave comes again, and this time I jump up. Mimicking Becca, I keep low. My feet grip against the slippery surface of the board and I feel the muscles in my thighs tense. The wave comes at me and I twist my body, slapping against it.

Off balance, I feel myself fall off the board and into the water.

I come back up, grinning. The ocean seems to be calming down now and the tension is loosened up a little and replaced by laughter. There's one distinct laugh that I can recognize as my own.

The feeling in my chest is something I've never felt before.

I feel relief and worry free. For that split second, I was ethereal.

(Note: Hope you guys liked this chapter! Please vote or comment, I would love your feedback!)

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

295K 7.4K 106
In which Delphi Reynolds, daughter of Ryan Reynolds, decides to start acting again. ACHEIVEMENTS: #1- Walker (1000+ stories) #1- Scobell (53 stories)...
16.7M 646K 64
Bitmiş nefesi, biraz kırılgan sesi, Mavilikleri buz tutmuş, Elleri nasırlı, Gözleri gözlerime kenetli; "İyi ki girdin hayatıma." Diyor. Ellerim eller...
16.3M 545K 35
Down-on-her-luck Aubrey gets the job offer of a lifetime, with one catch: her ex-husband is her new boss. *** Aubrey...
161K 5.9K 61
An Indian brother-sister/family story. The Singhania family is the most prestigious family in the country. Together, they seemed to be invincible...