Becoming a Legend: Nightfall...

De RiisingNovels

Ranloo didn't believe in monsters. Now he has become one. People he wouldn't even deign to look at before are... Mai multe

Terador Map
To Book Club Readers
Characters - Pictures
1 Ranloo
2 Spotted
3 Entering Jaris
4 Uninvited Guests I
4 Uninvited guests II
5 Rumors
6 Unexpected ally
7 Trailing Shadow
8 Controlling the Urge
9 Introductions
10 Bloodshed
11 On their tracks
12 Healed
13 Dark stranger
14 Sea Serpent Inn
15 Hunted
16 Making plans
17 Lesondale
18 Holy impact
19 Spotted
20 Reality Check
21 Wanted I
21 Wanted II
22 Apparition I
23 Apparition II
24 A New Threat
25 Jackal
26 The Guild I
26 The Guild II
27 New Friends
28 Setting Traps
29 Secret Doors
30 Break In
31 Guards! Guards!
32 Strife
33 Disagreements
34 Get a Clue
35 Back to Dirak
36 Close Encounters I
36 Close Encounters II
37 Vanished
38 In The Dark
39 Arrested
40 Violent Return
41 New Mission
42 Trial by Fire
43 Acquiring Information
44 Awakening
45 Of Dice and Roses
46 Memories I - Sewers
47 Memories II - Carnage
48 Memories III - Terror in the Rain
49 Memories IV - Master
50 Memories V - The Turning
51 Memories VI - Freed
52 The Reeling Ship
53 Identified
54 Instincts
55 Holy Water
56 Temptation
57 Night Crimes
58 Hooked
59 Behind The Red Door
60 Practice in the Dark
61 The Market
62 Unlikely Hero
63 The Message
64 Shields
65 Lost hope
66 Spilt Blood
67 Denied
68 Lonely departure
69 Confrontation I
69 Confrontation II
70 Broken Promises I
70 Broken Promises II
71 Blood and Rain
72 The Price for Victory I
72 The Price for Victory II
73 Aftermath I
73 Aftermath II
74 Guilt
75 Teamwork
76 False Directions
77 Surrounded
78 Being Useful
79 Heart's Desire
80 Missing
81 Out For Blood
82 Destiny
83 Plotting
84 Waking Nightmares
85 Winter Nights
86 Help I
86 Help II
87 Risky Alliance
88 The Battle Begins
89 Onslaught
90 Defiance
91 Nightfall I
92 Prisoner
93 Animal
93 Animal II
94 Homecoming
95 New Face
96 New Beginning

91 Nightfall II

17 0 15
De RiisingNovels

Tealas skidded to a stop over Sern, one foot on each side of his prone form.

Ranloo slowed down and approached carefully, his fangs pounding, everything a red haze. He was on fire. The hunter lifted a foot and stepped down on Sern's back, his eyes on Ranloo.

To Ranloo's distress, Sern didn't react. How badly hurt was he? Black, baleful hate welled up as he stared at the hunter. That man would die. Ranloo cursed under his breath in elven. The crunch of snow reached his ears and he glanced sideways. Odefin approached, his axe in his hands again. Ranloo heard the faint groans of Enjamon behind him as well. The new hunter wouldn't rejoin the fight any time soon, but he still lived.

'Let the boy go. You have hurt him enough.' Ranloo voice trembled with rage.

Tealas chuckled and shook his head, a wild look in his eyes. He waved the sword in front of him, pointed it towards Ranloo. 'No. You have to pay for what you have done. You need to lay down that weapon.'

'Not until you release him!'

'He's a killer.' Tealas eyes swivelled sideways for a second.

A mistake. Ranloo didn't need more of a warning. Odefin spoke the prayer and light flared, bathing the area with brightness. But Ranloo had already moved and they called out in surprise.

He landed from the high jump, the impact jarring his injured back and shoulders, stabbing through his hurt legs.

'So, you're getting used to being a monster,' Tealas commented.

Ranloo snorted, pretended to be unhurt. 'How did you find him?' he demanded, needing to know, red eyes flicking back and forth between the hunters.

'Easy. We had him marked,' Tealas laughed. 'You gave him to us.'

Ranloo trembled, it took all his willpower to simply stand still. 'What do you mean? How?'

The hunter lowered the sword point towards Sern's back. His eyes shifted to the boy for a second, then back up again. 'Did you forget the mages?'

'They're not here!" Ranloo yelled and stepped closer, fearing the hunter would plunge the blade down.

Tealas eyes narrowed. 'Don't come closer, vampire. And they don't need to be here.' He glanced down again. 'They've already done what they had to do.'

Who was responsible for this, Ranloo wondered through his rage. When had it happened? His thoughts reeled. When had they been in contact with anyone? Those thugs? The woman. Sern had gone to meet her alone. 'It was that mage woman! Ilsie. Wasn't it?' That must be it. Hate burned bright and hot as he stared at Tealas.

The hunter's eyes widened, betraying him.

'If you let him go now, I'll let you live,' Ranloo hissed as slow footsteps approached from behind.

'No,' Tealas growled, pale eyes staring. 'You are an abomination. You need to die. All of you need to die!'

'He's not a vampire!' Ranloo screamed.

'You'll make him into one soon enough.'

'Never!'

Odefin's steps were right behind him, but he couldn't tear his eyes off Sern, the sword above his unprotected neck. He trembled. Saw Lindhinin in front of his eyes again, slit throat and bleeding out. Shaking, he stepped forward.

'Stay right there! Not another step,' Tealas threatened, adjusting his grip on the swordhilt.

'Please!' Ranloo held up his left hand, dropped the sword to the ground. A wild smile flashed across the hunter's face. 'Let him go.' He couldn't bear to lose another friend. He'd rather die himself.

'I'll consider it.'

'No! You'll promise me!' Ranloo roared and took another step forward. Tealas hand shook, the blade gleamed. Ranloo could barely contain his rage. It was only overpowered by his fear. 'Promise me! And I give up. You have my word.'

The hunter gave a slight nod but didn't move. Ranloo hadn't really expected more. He heard Odefin raise the axe for a killing blow. Accepted it.

A familiar voice shouted then, followed by the sound of running footsteps. Pei. Something flashed with a loud bang.

Odefin growled and Ranloo knew the hunter had been hit by something. He could have smiled if not for the look on Tealas face as he looked past him. Rage, fear, and something wild. Tealas reached down and grasped Sern's hair, yanking his head out of the snow. The hunter hesitated. Sern didn't move, didn't blink. Pale moonlight reflected dimly in glazed eyes. Tealas snorted and let go.

A heartrending shriek tore out of Ranloo's throat. He reached out as the painful truth hit. He hadn't been fast enough, hadn't been strong enough, couldn't save him. His chest tightened, couldn't contain the pressure, the burning hate. Hot tears flooded his eyes. Pushing off against the snow, Ranloo flew through the air as Sern's head slumped forward into the snow, blue-grey eyes staring, unseeing.

Ranloo's heart broke, his soul shattered. Screaming wildly he bowled the hunter over, his hat flying off at the sudden impact. His sword tumbled out of his hand. Ranloo hit him in the face and blood spattered into the air. He raked his nails across his face, pounded him, batted away his arms, burning himself on the sun-symbol. Couldn't care less.

Tealas yelled and stabbed him with a dagger, kicking him to get him off. Ranloo burned with hot flames of vengeance and wasn't deterred. Didn't even feel the stabs and cuts. The medallion glared and burned, but he didn't care. This man had to die. Nothing else mattered.

They rolled in the snow, flailing, kicking and tearing at each other. Being stronger, Ranloo soon had the upper hand. He grabbed the medallion, smoke rising from his hand as it burned off his flesh. He tore at it, broke the chain and threw it aside with a wild shriek.

A faint creaking of snow warned him a second before something slammed into his back. But he couldn't feel anything beyond the agony inside. Pei yelled, followed by clashing metal. Ranloo didn't care. The hunter was at his mercy.

Tealas stabbed towards his face with the dagger. Ranloo yanked his head back, grabbed the hunter's arm and bit into his wrist, tore at his arm like a rabid dog. Tealas howled and dropped the knife. Out of control, Ranloo simply wanted to hurt this man the way he had hurt him. Wanted him to suffer.

Letting go, he grabbed Tealas' left arm instead, stood and stretched/yanked it out. Tealas screamed at him, called for help, struggled in his grip. Ranloo snarled and kicked. Bones cracked. He dragged the hunter by his broken arm, revelling in his agonized cries, the smell of fear and adrenaline. Spotting something on the ground, he dropped the hunter and picked it up. Tealas tried getting away and Ranloo stalked after him, let him crawl a while before kicking him around to face him again.

'Get away from me, demon!' he yelled.

Merciless, Ranloo bent down and stabbed the dagger into Tealas' thigh, delighted in his screech. The smell of blood saturated the air, the taste in his mouth overwhelming. He grinned, tears streaking down his face. 'You have hunted your last vampire! This is the end.' His voice shook.

Tealas crawled backwards, away from the crazy vampire, leaving a trail of blood in the snow.

Sounds of battle briefly drew Ranloo's attention and he glanced back. To his surprise, Pei and Diquarl fought Odefin together. They were the reason he still lived. He twisted his head back to the hunter on the ground, his bloodied hair flying around him. He snarled at Tealas' defiant stare, a stake in his shaking hand. Where had he kept that one, Ranloo wondered dimly as he advanced. Not that it mattered.

As he reached for the hunter, Tealas stabbed towards him with the stake. Ranloo evaded it easily, and tore it from the hunter's bloody hand. It burned in his grasp. Blood coated everything. It made Ranloo's heart drum, his teeth throb, and his mind wild. But more than anything, he was ridden by madness and deep hot fury.

He grinned and forced the stake down, hit the brigantine. Roaring, he stepped on it, pushed it between the armour plates and into the hunter's stomach. Stepped on it again, forcing it through the back. It pinned Tealas to the ground, spilling rivers of red.

The wail the hunter emitted made a shiver of delight run up Ranloo's spine, even as his soul trembled in fear.

Tealas writhed and clutched at the stake, whimpering. Ranloo took a step back and watched him bleed. Receding sounds of battle still raged behind him, but he only had eyes for the hunter. He had murdered Sern. It was unforgivable. Ranloo's entire body hurt and protested, his right hand burned almost to the bones, his face scratched, ribs broken, shoulder-blade shattered, and countless scrapes, hits, and stabs bled. Still, hatred kept him on his feet. He enjoyed watching the light slowly dim and die in the hunter's pale eyes.

'You'll... regret... this...' Tealas whispered, barely audible between rasping breaths.

'No. This is your regret,' Ranloo said, blinking tears from his eyes.

Tealas whined, drew several fast shallow breaths, shuddered and lay still.

The snow around him was painted red. Everything was red. Ranloo stared. The victory felt shallow and pointless, robbed of its meaning. It hadn't saved anyone.

He turned slowly, his eyes drawn to the figure on the ground some way behind him. Still, unmoving. His fired doused, Ranloo felt cold and dead inside. Robbed of his fury, weakness returned. He took a step, stumbled, and fell to his knees.

'No, no, no...' he whispered and crawled towards the lifeless body. He reached out, clinging desperately to the hope that Sern might still be alive. Grasping the boy's coat, Ranloo shook him, called his name. But there was no reply. No heartbeats. Blue eyes stared blankly at the dark sky.

'No. Please don't do this to me...' Ranloo shook him again, then bent forward, rested his head against the lifeless body and cried.

---

This chapter was so hard to write doe me, emotionally. Still, I hope it made you feel something as well? Be that rage, or sorrow, or something else. Do tell me what you think. And suggestions for betterment is as always appreciated.

Updated Mar 2022.

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

127K 7K 38
"As he got closer to him the scent became so much that he couldn't wait to feed and turn this beautiful human into his own personal blood supply." Wh...
167K 3.4K 35
Meet Raven Night. She's 17. At school, she gets bullied because she's a "nerd". No one knows her past and she tends to keep it that way. During the d...
21.9K 586 32
- CONTENTS MATURE! 18+ scenes - Celeste believed nothing more than being a normal girl, in a normal street, in a normal world but nothing can just b...
13 0 1
A young boy travels with his friends through a weird, mostly chill world to discover the truth about himself. More mysteries unravel during the story...