What Is and What Should Never...

Door taintedandloved

Desdemona Castellanos is almost loyal to a fault. When she notices her best friend Remus distancing himself... Meer

1. Perfect Prefect Privilege
3. The Dancing Queen
4. Hallowe'en
5. The Great Sleepover of '76
6. Hufflepuff Pride
7. The Proposal
8. Ballgowns and Butterbeer
9. The Winter Solstice
10. The Hogs and The Meade
11. Exploding Snap
12. The Great Sleepover of '77
13. The Terrible Friend
14. A Very Valentines View
15. The House of Loyalty
16. The Library
17. The Giant Squid
18. Padfoot
19. The Lovely Lily Evans
20. The Clash
21. Out The Window
22. The Confession
23. The Talk
24. The Hufflepuff's Courage
25. Godric, The Gloater
Epilogue

2. Cozy Sweaters and Bookworm Vibes

1.3K 46 9
Door taintedandloved

ADMITTEDLY, I've known Remus is a werewolf since third year. I'm embarrassed it took me so long to figure it out, but I never confronted him about it. I know he's ashamed, and figure I can wait until he's ready to tell me himself. Admittedly, I also thought he would tell me a lot sooner, I think after six years the secret would be out by now.

I mean, did he think I was really that stupid when I found him beaten up in the Hospital Wing every month of first to fourth year? Did he think I believed the ever more outrageous excuses he offered for why he was covered in a new scratch (even though I never asked)? And does he think I don't notice how - unexplainably - he's been getting better and sometimes won't even be in the Hospital Wing anymore? That when I bring his sweets and Madame Pompfrey tells me he's in his dorm sleeping, I just shrug and accept it? I'm not stupid, but I was fine to let him think he was getting away with it in the hopes that he would tell me - his best friend.

This is my best (and only) guess I have as to why Remus is avoiding me. I mean, summer was a close call, and it's that, or he suddenly doesn't like me, which can't be the case. It just can't.

So, if I can get Remus to just open up about his lycanthropy, and show that it really doesn't change the way I feel about him, maybe he'll stop ignoring me. I reckon since I want him to be the one to tell me, I might as well give hints that I know, and hope he isn't too daft to figure it out.

I make my way to the Great Hall, because I just opened my mail, and Remus' mum sent me a fashion catalog with some items she thought I'd like circled with red ink. I was so happy, the first thing I wanted to do was show Remus, but was hit with the remembrance that he's ducking through corridors in order to escape me. And I hate this feeling, this separation, so I need to hope it's his lycanthropy that's making him avoid me, and get it sorted out.

"Desdemona." My foot stops on the second stair and I realize that with my distracted thoughts, I completely missed David.

"Oh," I shake my head clear. "What's up, David?"

"Is Jiaying still getting ready?" He asks.

David only every calls his girlfriend by her Chinese name - her birth name. She started wanting everyone to call her 'Jane' in fourth year, thinking it's just easier to pronounce rather than Jiaying. I think they're both pretty.

"You don't have her schedule memorized?" I tease the Ravenclaw and he rolls his eyes at me.

"If she woke up on time she'd be done by now." He says, not denying my claim, and I check my watch, knowing he's right.

"Why're you waiting for her?" I ask leaning my arms over the staircase.

"Hogsmeade dates have just been released." He explains with a smile. "I gotta ask her before anyone else does."

I laugh a bit at that, as if she would go with anyone else. I bid myself goodbye anyway, David actually giving me a good idea for Remus. Before I enter the Great Hall, I check the board outside that lists the dates, grinning at the weekend the first one falls on.

Eagerly moving into the room, I immediately spot the scar littered Gryffindor seated in the middle of the long house table and resist the urge to skip over to him. Instead, I opt to hide my excitement, so I can sneak up to him without him running away from me.

"What's happening?" I say and lean my arm on the table beside Remus.

Remus is a bit shocked at my sudden presence, and I see his eyes glance around, probably realizing I've blocked him off from a quick escape.

"What are you doing here?" He asks.

"Well, I have something to ask you."

He looks uneasy for a split second, and I can only hope he lets me get through what I want to say. This is the longest conversation we've had since the platform, and I'm worried it's not gonna last.

"Okay, shoot." He drops his food and rotates his body towards me. That eases my conscious a little, and I take a seat the wrong way on the bench, so I can jump up quickly to stop an escape.

"You wanna go to Hogsmeade with me?" I ask, knowing the answer.

Remus' face instantly morphs into the apologetic look I knew was coming.

"Des, I'm sorry, I-"

I place my hand up to stop him and he complies.

"Not the first weekend - I know you're busy - but the next one." I smile and Remus looks skeptical at me.

"H-how do you know I'm busy?" He lowers his voice slightly, and I open my mouth, about to bullshit my way through an excuse when I'm cut off.

"Oh, come on, Moony." Black, seated opposite the table with Potter, injects himself into our conversation. "Give the pretty girl an answer."

I hadn't taken notice of him when I walked up to Remus, and whether or not he came in during our conversation, or was here the whole time, doesn't matter. But upon seeing him, my mind thinks back to what Debbie said about me befriending Black. I shake my head slightly so I don't go any further because I remember that I'm here for Remus.

"Yea, Moony." I copy Black, thinking the nickname is appropriate. "Give the pretty girl an answer."

Remus looks a bit overwhelmed at the two of us ganging up on him. He sends a quick glare to Black before turning to me, and staying silent.

"Er, sure." He finally says. "Yea, let's go."

"Sweet!" I jump up from my seat in glee, thankful my plan worked. "Catch you in class."

~*~

My only class with Remus is Charms, which is Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. To my surprise, however, I share a double Herbology with Sirius Black, and the only reason I know this is because when I take my seat in class today, he plops his books down right beside me. I'm confused when I look up and it's not Henry standing there like usual.

"Tell me, mystery woman, what do you see in Remus?"

"Excuse me?" I ask, not quite understanding the question. Also, a bit confused that he takes a seat beside me.

"Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the cozy sweaters and bookworm vibes make him a Casanova, I just don't see it, you know?"

His outright demeanour throws me off a bit. If I've ever been formerly introduced to Remus' other two friends, I don't remember. The most contact we ever have is when I come up to the four of them for Remus. Either way, I'm not sure myself, Potter, and Black would have much to talk about, they're known troublemakers, and I've seen some of the hexes they pull on students. So I think it's best not to be a bother, consequently, I haven't gotten to know them.

I do laugh a bit at his words, though, partially because I still don't understand what Black is saying, and partially because of the thought of Remus as a Casanova. Of course, the boy beside me has no idea why I'm giggling, so when I finish, I have to admit,

"You're jivin', Black." I say and his eyebrows raise.

"Why've you asked our Remus on a date?" He clarifies.

"Our Remus?" I ask, then am taken back. "Date?"

Black simply nods, opening his book up as Professor Sprout walks in.

"You asked him to Hogsmeade." Black leans towards me and whispers to not get in trouble, I can smell cigarette smoke on his robes.

"Rem and I've been to Hogsmeade a bunch of times." I whisper back, looking into his eyes with a slightly confused expression.

Black furrows his eyebrows as if he's skeptical, casts his glance to my chest (which I do not appreciate), then looks back at my face with a new found realization.

"You're his Hufflepuff friend." He says as if it answers more than what was just said. "The one that steals him away."

I nod, a bit surprised at his accusation and he sticks his hand out, as if introducing himself.

"Sirius Black." He says and I abide, shaking his hand.

"Desdemona Castellanos."

"I know." He says and I guess my face conveys the confusion I feel, because he adds, "though I recognize the back of your head more as you walk off with Remus into the sunset."

A small smile pulls at my lips as I shake my head.

"Little bit dramatic." I say but he looks unbothered.

"You any good at Herbology?" He changes the topic as he shrugs off his robes.

I nod.

"The perks of being a Hufflepuff." I admit.

"Then I've picked the perfect partner for the year." He smiles proudly.

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

2.9K 38 27
James Potter, Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, and Peter Pettigrew are instant friends when they meet on the train to Hogwarts. One is the leader, one is a...
67.9K 1.8K 41
AU: James survived and Harry Potter still became the Boy Who Lived through Lily's sacrifice. James Potter, Sirius Black and Remus Lupin (The Marauder...
11.4K 425 21
Judson Ogden had a secret: he was completely head over heels for Remus Lupin. He couldn't help it-it was a lost cause. But Remus had a secret of his...
15.1K 431 54
Kacie Elektra Black, the twin of Sirius Black, was part of the Marauders. Part of the group of Gryffindor's that was the closest groups of friends yo...