Kisses after midnight (WICKED...

Da vividlycrimson18

"You are my first love, Gabriela, and my last." "You're romantic for a delinquent." PREQUEL TO THE WICKED SE... Altro

prelude
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
bonus

11

11.4K 769 477
Da vividlycrimson18

IT WAS FRIDAY BEFORE she knew it. Honestly, with all the focusing on trying to get Sahar and Jay not to cause too much trouble and studying, Gabriela felt like she had almost no time to herself. She even had hesitated for a moment about coming to this party, the idea of having a good night's sleep for once sounding way too tempting, but she had rejected that idea as quickly as it came.

Sleep-deprived or not, there was no way she would skip St Joseph's party of the year.

Well, not like Mateo would allow her to anyway. He had been excited for it all week, in that cute way he always got for these things.

So here she was, getting ready in her room with Penelope, who had for once put her golden hair down from the messy buns it was always in. With her large hoops, gray crop top and baby blue flared pants she looked like a dream straight from the nineties, a stark contrast against Gabriela's skintight, crimson jumpsuit. They were just putting the last bit of makeup on when Mateo jumped through the window, causing Penelope to flinch in surprise.

Mateo's eyes widened immediately as he raised his hands in an apologetic movement.

"Sorry, Pen," he said," I know you're quick to scare."

"Don't apologize, Mateo," Penelope smiled," it's not like I'm a frightened, little bird. And I'm sure you just couldn't contain yourself when you thought about meeting your Juliet."

"You are right," Mateo said as he let himself fall dramatically to his knees, grasping Gabriela's hands in his. "What would I do without you, my fair Juliet?"

Gabriela raised an eyebrow, Mateo's cheeky grin making it so that for a second she almost believed he would truly be lost without her. A phone went off then and Penelope took it out of her pocket, her eyes lighting up once she saw who was calling.

"Just a moment, it's Imani," she said, humming happily as she went to the hallway to pick up.

The door clicked shut behind her and Gabriela expected Mateo to let her go, but when he didn't, she frowned at him. Usually this was the part where he stopped joking around. She glanced down then, the sight making her heart flutter just a bit. His hands covered hers completely, the lipstick she had been applying the only thing between their palms. The callouses on his were comforting, familiar in that way only he was. When she looked up from their intertwined hands, she noticed he was staring at her.

"What's wrong?" she said.

It was like her words broke the spell he was under. He pulled his hands back, though he didn't try to put any distance between them. His hand brushed across her cheek then, before his thumb trailed across her red-tinted lips. Normally she would've scolded him for smearing her lipstick out, but somehow she couldn't get the words across her lips.

When the doorknob turned he was immediately on his feet though. He was already heading towards the window, but she grabbed his wrist to stop him.

"Where are you going?" she said.

"I just came to say I'm heading out," he said, his head turned away from her towards the window," I'll be setting everything up with the boys."

Penelope walked in then, eyes widening when she saw them. Mateo still didn't turn though and when Gabriela let him go, he jumped through the window on a branch in a fluid move. She watched him go, before continuing to apply her lipstick.

"How did you do that?" Penelope said amazedly.

"What?"

"Make Mateo blush."

Gabriela blinked, before shaking her head. "You probably saw it wrong. Mateo doesn't blush."

"And yet he was red to his ears," Penelope smiled.

Her friend didn't push the issue further, but her words kept running through Gabriela's mind. She pushed it to the back of her head, deciding this was not the time to deal with them. Later they would resolve this, what mostly likely had been a misunderstanding.

Why would Mateo suddenly make a move on her after all these years, when it was so obvious all his flirting was just teasing anyway?

An hour later they were in Sahar's car. She had had a family event and hadn't been able to prepare with them, but she had told them she could pick them up so they could go together. Gabriela hadn't wanted to be too much trouble, but Sahar had insisted. So here they were now, leaning against the cozy seats of her luxurious limo, on their way to Jay's house.

"So," Penelope said as she poured more of the champagne Sahar had brought in her glass," what's the deal with you and Jay?"

"There's no deal," Sahar giggled, her cheeks already flushed from the alcohol.

"There could be," Penelope said, the golden liquid close to spilling when she gestured at Sahar," he's fine, girl."

"I know," Sahar sighed as she let herself sink into her seat," but if he wanted me, wouldn't he make that clear?"

Gabriela downed her glass.

"Listen up, you two," Penelope said," if you like him and he doesn't seem like he hates you, shoot your shot. What's the worst thing that could happen?"

"The friendship would break," Gabriela murmured in her glass.

"I could die," Sahar said.

"As the only one in a relationship here, you should take my advice," Penelope said," I went for it as well and here we are, three years and counting."

"Who are you dating?" Sahar said.

"The love of my life," Penelope smiled," she'll be at the party."

The rest of the brief ride was spent with Penelope showing Sahar pictures of her and her girlfriend, while Gabriela was silently contemplating what to do with Penelope's advice. Once Jay stepped into the car, all of them were visibly tipsy.

"Jay," Sahar squealed, grabbing his wrist with a big smile," there you are!"

He frowned confusedly when she stood up to hug him. Them the car began to drive again, causing Sahar to lose balance and fall on top of him. Gabriela reached out her hand to help them, but Penelope stopped her, the joy she took out of being a matchmaker clear in her eyes.

Gabriela had to give it to Jay though, his reflexes were good. The guy steadied himself almost immediately, hands on both sides of the limo, seemingly exerting no effort though Sahar was hanging around his neck.

"Are you drunk?" he said.

"No," she giggled.

He raised an eyebrow, before just pushing himself upright again. With surprisingly gentle movements he pulled her along to sit again, taking place next to her. It seemed like he wanted to say something else, but Sahar poured a glass for him and pushed it into his hands before he could.

"Come on then," she smiled," you have to catch up."

He stared at her and Gabriela half expected him to say no, like he always did, but without blinking he just downed the glass. And then another.

"Done," he said.

"Impressive," Penelope said.

"Just two?" Sahar teased.

"You're a lightweight," he said," I'm assuming two was all it took to get you here, so I'm caught up now."

Sahar's eyes widened, before they all burst out in laughter. Jay seemed surprised at the reaction, though he didn't show much emotion on his face.

"It's surprising how right you are," Penelope chuckled.

"What about you?" Gabriela said," you just downed two glasses of champagne."

Jay shrugged, slinging his arm across the back of the chairs, his hand grazing against Sahar's shoulder.

"I can handle my liquor."

He had proven that at the end of the ride. Though Sahar and Penelope quickly had passed the point of just being tipsy, he still seemed as sober as ever. Her own tolerance was a lot better than those two, but aside of that she almost never was drunk anyway. Each night out with her friends ended with one of them wasted and unable to walk, so she preferred being level-headed enough to help. Aside from that, she just said too much when she was drunk and right now, with Mateo coming so close, it didn't seem like the right time for it.

They stepped out of the car then and looked up at St Joseph, the windows of the looming gray buildings now full of life. Though most of the floors were dark, the first two were lighted up in different colors, music spilling out of the open windows. It was good that St Joseph was in the middle of nowhere, because the noise complaints from this night alone would have given their principal a heart attack.

People were standing everywhere, either outside on the grass or by the door, but most of them were inside, dancing and drinking the night away. Gabriela saw Mateo quickly, his usual lazy smile on his face as he leaned against the door and chatted with a few of his friends. He looked good in his leather jacket and jeans, his midnight eyes dancing with stars. It was clear that he was the life of the party everywhere he went, exhilaration and moonlight right underneath his skin, a confidence radiating from him which attracted many. His hair was messy, probably from where the wind had messed it up on his motorcycle, and his knuckles were still scraped from a fight he had had yesterday.

Without thinking she downed her last glass then, before shaking out her hair.

Perhaps she was wrong. Perhaps this was exactly the right time to get drunk.

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerà anche

9.5K 172 15
𝐓𝐰𝐨 𝐛𝐫𝐨𝐤𝐞𝐧 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐡 𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐛𝐥𝐞𝐦 𝐢𝐬 𝐧𝐞𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐨...
619K 15.7K 40
Avery was not an average, well behaved 17-year-old girl living a happy life. She was an underground fighter, a street racer, and had even gotten mixe...
430 126 8
[Childhood best friends to enemies to lovers] Mavae and Will have shared an unbreakable bond since the tender age of six, a childhood friendship that...
656 27 15
Tiffany is a perfect angel straight a's, great friends, amazing parents, till she gets in trouble with the law and has to move in with her cousin wh...