Yuragwyn: Ours

By writingtoglorifyHim

Kaitra has finally managed to escape from the Granziar dungeon, her companions, and her destiny and return to... More

Trailer
---Chapter 1
---Chapter 2
---Chapter 3
---Chapter 4
---Chapter 5
---Chapter 6
---Chapter 7
---Chapter 8
---Chapter 9
---Chapter 10
---Chapter 11
---Chapter 12
---Chapter 13
---Chapter 14
---Chapter 15
---Chapter 16
---Chapter 17
---Chapter 18
---Chapter 20
---Chapter 21
---Chapter 22
---Chapter 23
---Chapter 24
---Chapter 25
---Chapter 26
---Chapter 27
---Chapter 28

---Chapter 19

16 1 0
By writingtoglorifyHim

₰Traugott₰

                “Surely you are misunderstood,” I whisper, horrified.  “Hiltraud and Lady Kaitra were just there, and they returned no report of a stifling rebellion.”

                “Granziar sent little voices trained in persuasion to weave deception among them.  You must know that they feel rather distant from the rest of the country because of the mountains in between us.  Perhaps Granzians promised them more lavish lives, maybe their own sovereignty.  The reasons are not important though.  Honorable Urien, Lord Cadfael, they must be warned. 

                “And Traugott?  Stay in Cordina.  A price lies upon your head, for you have made it into the very stomach of Pan and come back.”

                Even while she is still speaking I rouse my mount and make ready to fly to the capital. “Please, make all haste to Honorable Urien in the mountains of Bishat.  He escorts precious cargo.”

                She nods in understanding, bows out of respect, and hurries away.  As she disappears behind the grasses in the distance I jab the pegasus in the sides and take to the night sky again. 

                The haze of morning in the far distance finds me high above the plains on a gray gelding, straining to get to Cordina before a Granzian archer finds me also.  It rises out of the rose in the sun, a concentrated stronghold surrounded by mostly vacated outcroppings of villages, in one of whom I must leave the beast in a trade of war. 

                The turf coming up under its hooves jolts me into full awareness of my surroundings.  I gently grasp its mane and guide it towards the watchtower, which braces itself before a bright and revealing morning sun.

                The trade done I run for the little gate in the north side of the wall, searching furtively for any enemy.  My sword is not nearly as long as an arrow. 

                “Traugott!” Lord Cadfael calls to me from the open gate.  “Traugott, come quickly!”

                His urgent tone puts fresh energy into my rather sore and half-asleep legs.  As I come up to the gate he turns and hands me the bridle of a flightless pegasus.  “Dust yourself off on the way.  We are required immediately in the castle.”

                I suppress my questions and ride behind him as we trot through the wakening streets.  I try my best to smile encouragingly at the passersby, but they can sense the tension in Lord Cadfael’s brow, and in such times his troubles easily involve us all. 

                Inside the castle, a page escorts us up to the very chambers of Master Hulderic.  Here we shuffle respectfully to the large bed on the far wall, in which the Master lies, coughing.  Lord Cadfael leans down to whisper in my ear, “His health fails rapidly.”

                I wrack my brain to remember who Master Hulderic had named for his succession.  Generally a much younger person is chosen, and kings reign for many years. 

                “He has yet to name his heir.”

                Lord Cadfael kneels respectfully by the Master’s bed, and I follow.  “Master Hulderic,” Lord Cadfael says, “I am here, as you requested, and a page from your towers spotted Traugott in the distance.  He is here as well.”

                “I have a good many things to tell you both.  Many things I would also like to share with Lady Kaitra,” he whispers, wheezing.

                I wince, “She considered it better for Yuragwyn to stay and fight, Master Hulderic.  I could not convince her to return with me.”

                His laugh brings about more coughing, “She was always rather spritely and determined, Lord Cadfael.  It surprises me little.

                “Traugott, come nearer to hear what I have to say.  We all know how hard the deaths of dear comrades have been on you.  We all know you were merely the victim of unfortunate circumstances, the vice of spur-of-the-moment decisions.  Let not the past weigh you down and keep you from the treasure you have in Calanthe.”  He smiles at me, “You have done well in these houses of Cordina.  Your parents would be very proud.”

∞Kaitra∞

                A smallish woman, with dried blood on her hands and arms, stumbles into camp with the dawn shouting for Honorable Urien and me.  I leave my meager pot on the grate on the fire and wrap my blanket around my shoulders a bit tighter as I walk hurriedly towards her.  Late fall winds whisper of the coming winter and chap my face with their brisk chatter. 

                “What is it?” I ask. 

                She coughs, and I take the blanket off my shoulders and put it on her half-frozen ones.   “Thank you,” she smiles.  Then she straightens and clears her throat.  “I have come from Rite.  Agleton has joined in the war on Granziar’s side.”

                Horror chills me more than the wind ever could.  “Come to the fire.”  As we turn, I lock eyes with Hiltraud.  Eglantine.  “Get her some breakfast,” I call.  Soldiers scramble at my bidding, but I do not join them at the fire.  Instead I approach Hiltraud.  “So that was it.”

                He nods.  “I saw the signs while we were there.  I just didn’t know how to keep it at bay.”

                “Now we’re caught in the middle between two enemies.”

                “My greatest pardons for interrupting, but I went to Rite once upon a time as well,” Maxen offers, coming up beside us.  “They are fiercely loyal to all elves.  If I remember correctly, Lady Carys is half-elvish.  That would make you, Lady Kaitra, a quarter elvish.  It could be used to your advantage.”

                I process his words carefully, nodding, “Yes, thank you, Maxen.”  Then facing the both of them, I shrug.  “Any suggestions?”

₰Traugott₰

                The mention of my parents draws my heart up in a tight little knot and drains all the moisture in me to my toes.  I’ve been able to give little thought to them in these long years; I haven’t wanted to.  What happened to them?  Do they even love me?  “Thank you, Master.” I whisper. 

                “And Lord Cadfael, I feel in my soul trouble brewing in the east.  I believe it best you lead a few units.  We must hold them back until Kaitra assumes her position as the Daughter of Yuragwyn, fabled of old, and destined to save,” Master Hulderic continues.  “See to it that she does nothing rash.”

                “I will bring her back her when I go out with the troops,” Lord Cadfael answers.  “She is safe here, were I told her to be.”

                “Safer, yes, but not stronger.  Everyone must come of age somehow.  Some, like Calanthe, blossom in the joys of peace, but others, such as dear Kaitra, flower in adversity.  You can’t stunt her growth.  She needs every petal.”

                “Yes sir.”  Lord Cadfael bows.  “And your heir, Master Hulderic?”

                “I have yet to decide, Cadfael.  There is much to consider.”

                I bite my lip and get up a moment after Lord Cadfael does.  Together we bow deeply and retreat, closing the doors softly behind us. 

                No words are shared until we sit with Lady Carys and Calanthe, who still won’t speak to me, in the gathering room.  Lord Cadfael outlines our meeting with Master Hulderic, and Lady Carys asks after Honorable Urien and Lady Kaitra.  Calanthe’s eyes never leave the subtle patterns in the wood as I relay my trip.  As I watch her dark head bob and sway a bit, I remember Master Hulderic’s words.  I must keep her safe, for her parents’ sakes, and for her siblings’ legacies. 

                “Lord Cadfael, on my way back a Yuragwynian soldier met me and brought news from Rite.  I would have shared sooner, but I feared such news would compromise Master Hulderic’s health.  Rite has decided to join in the war, but they fight on Granziar’s side.”

                Lady Carys pales a bit, “I still have distant relatives there.  How can this be?”

                “Rite, in rebellion?” Lord Cadfael gasps. 

                I nod.  “It is as she says.  I know nothing more.”

                “Well, I must pack then.  A unit waits in Sipee, and I shall ride out to meet them.  Traugott, you must go to Lax.  Half a unit waits there.” 

                Lady Carys lays a hand on my shoulder.  “Go bathe, shave, rest tonight, Traugott.  You have done so much, one more night of sleep will not be begrudged.”

                A clasp her hand with mine and blink back the tears that suddenly threaten me.  Lady Carys has been more a mother to me than I ever could have asked for.  “Thank you, Lady Carys.”

                I make my way to the door, but before I can turn into the hall, two arms synch tightly around me.  “Traugott,” Calanthe rasps. 

                I turn to face her, and she smiles at me for the first time in days.  She nestles her face against my chest and whispers, “I love you.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.6K 1.9K 49
Even teen evil queens need love. Right? (Or at least a handsome sword-fighting minion to do their bidding!) *** Bad things happen when Rowen is aroun...
1.4K 105 29
Kaitra feels a bit out of place. One day, the bejewelled dagger her parents give her takes a mind of its own and transports her to Yuragwyn and to t...
428K 18.8K 57
WATTYS SHORTLIST 2018 The heart desires the unreachable. A rare creature born of Middle Earth must undo the damage of her predecessor, who helped for...
108K 2.6K 39
Valyria Stark is the daughter of Lord Eddard Stark and Lady Catelyn Stark as well as the twin of Robb Stark. She is fiercely loyal towards her family...