Eddie on the Edge of Everythi...

De Jules_Haigler

Orphaned Eddie is gifted a wish from the oldest star in the galaxy. Chased across space by wish-hunters and a... Mai multe

Author's Note
Dedication
1: Starlight
2: The Aunts from Hell
3: A Star Dies
4: A Most Mysterious Thing
5: The Wish-Hunter
6: The Cloak to Many Places
7: Celeste
8: Stella, The Octopus
9: The First Wish
10: The Man with all the Wishes
11: A Funny Tasting Burger
13: Cloud Surfing and the Never-Lost Ring
14: Friendship Never Dies
15: One Last Chance
16: Octopus Speech
17: The Comet Festival
18: An Atamanaa Welcome
19: The Djinn Strikes a Bargain
20: A False Imprisonment
21: The Hidden Corridor
22: Wish Battle
23: To the Wishing Well
24: A Wish on Galaxion
25: The Power of Everything
Let me know your thoughts

12: Luxury at the Wingspan Resort

2.2K 195 18
De Jules_Haigler

The worst thing about living in space is there is never a day or a night time. On Earth time is measured between each sunrise by twenty-four hours, but here in space Earth time no longer made sense. There was no moon to remind you that it was getting late or a sun to wake you up. So how do you measure time in space?

It was a topic Novus and I spoke about as we chomped on our burgers. He said there was an agreed time of forty-two quarks. One quark equaled to about thirty minutes of Earth time so forty-two quarks was about twenty-one hours of Earth time. A shorter day than what I was used to.

I watched the funny looking clock on the diner wall flip to 34, and knew it must be getting close to the end of the day. Virgo exited the kitchen and placed a bowl of ice cream in front of me. Novus was quick to disapprove.

"Isn't it late for sweets," he said nudging the bowl away.

"Hey," warned Virgo, holding a stiff threatening finger at Novus, "this is a gift for the little lady. Eat up, sweetheart. Don't let this mean rogue Wish-Hunter tell you what to do." He shoved a spoon in my ice cream and walked off.

The ice cream tasted just like home. I guess it was true what my mom would say, you can't ruin ice cream. Novus looked greedily at my bowl full of sweet goodness.

"Can I have a bite?"

I sighed. "Only one bite."

Novus took the biggest spoon he could find and scooped into my bowl.

"Hey, not so much. That's my ice cream."

"And that's my ship out there, but I'm sure your parents taught you to share."

"Whatever." I moved the bowl away and finished the last little bit on my own. "I'm not sharing anything with you anymore."

Novus chuckled and pushed away from the bar.

"It's getting late, Eddie. We should head out. Big day tomorrow."

"What do you mean," I said with my mouth dripping in ice cream.

"It's a surprise. You wanted to explore the universe. I know the perfect place."

"I don't like surprises," I said, swallowing.

"You'll like this one."

I finished and placed my bowl at the edge of the bar.

"Thank you, Mr. Virgo," I said waving at the big guy.

"Hey, kid." The man rushed out of the kitchen holding a grey bag. "I packed you some meals for the road. Who knows when Mr. Pickle Jar here will feed you next."

"Hey, I'll have you know I would never let a kid starve," protested Novus as Stella sucked the last of her soup through a straw.

"Anyway," said Virgo. "You're a good kid, and I couldn't forgive myself knowing I sent you away empty handed. I'm not sure what bargain you two have, but just be careful on your little adventure. Space can be a dangerous place."

"I will," I said looking into the bag. It was filled with a bunch of burgers and sweets and what appeared to be vegetables. One pickle was wrapped up just for me. "Thank you, Mr. Virgo."

"I know those were your pickles so please if you're flying by stop anytime. It'll be on the house, and you can share some Earth recipes with me. I want this restaurant to be more authentic."

"Of course!" I cried.

"Come on, Eddie," motioned Novus at the door.

"I got to go. Bye." I waved goodbye and hugged the bag close to my chest. Rushing passed tables and chairs, I ran after Novus. Lira walked by Virgo carrying a tray of dirty plates.

"You know she must have a wish on her," said Lira. "You think the Earthling will be safe out there. I heard it was Galaxion that died."

"That's what I'm worried about," said Virgo, removing his apron. "Novus better keep that girl safe. Soon the whole universe will be after them, and I know many bad people who would kill to have that wish." Virgo scooped up the ice cream bowl. "Watch yourself, Eddie from Earth."

...

Lying on my new bed in a nicer room than any I could remember, I struggled to fall asleep. Perhaps if it weren't for Novus's loud snoring from the couch outside I might have had an easier time.

The lamp in the corner twirled its light sending star patterns across the dark ceiling. On my chest, Galaxion hummed and glowed. Small streaks of blue and red light arched off the wish and faded into the darkness. I rubbed it thinking a genie might pop out any second to ask what I wanted to wish for.

"Galaxion," I said, as if the wish would answer me back, "I know you've seen much of the universe and lived for so long, but where do we go when we die? Do we just go poof like a star does when it dies?" Nothing answered. "My dad made a wish one night saying he would always be there for me, that he would never leave me, but I haven't felt his presence ever since he and mom went away. I wonder if there really is something after death, is it beyond the stars? Is it a place I can reach with a wish? Maybe bring them back."

I reached into my backpack and pulled out their picture. A tear ran down my cheek.

"See mom and dad. I followed your advice. I reached for the stars. All my life I wanted to see the world you saw, to dance in the sky, but I wanted to do it together. Why did you leave me?" I hugged the picture close. "Even with the most powerful wish, I can't bring you back. Now I don't know what to wish for anymore." I rubbed my teary eyes and placed the picture under the pillow.

"Galaxion, why did you choose me? You knew what my wish was, a wish that couldn't be granted. So why me?"

I placed the wish next to my head, and closing my eyes thinking of my parents, I soon fell to sleep.

...

The next morning I woke up to Stella slapping my face again.

"OOLLLA!"

"I'm up! I'm up! Gosh!" I sat up, my hair a total mess.

"You ready for an adventure, Eddie," said Novus at the door lifting a coat and thick boots. "You're going to want to dress warmly today."

"Where are we? What are we doing?" I crawled out of bed as Stella rummaged through the closet flinging clothes at me.

"It's a surprise!" Novus sounded excited. "Now hurry up. Got some breakfast cooked."

"He cooked breakfast?" I said looking at Stella. The octopus made a funny gesture of disgust. "I'm guessing he can't cook." Stella nodded.

Before long I was dressed head to toe in a thick coat, pants, and boots, all picked out by Stella, my personal fashion advisor. I entered the main cabin to be hit with the strong smell of something burning. Novus twirled frantically in a small kitchen lost in a cloud of smoke.

"Oh I burnt it!" he cursed. "Ugh." He poked his head out from the cloud coughing loudly. "Never mind about breakfast. We'll get something at the resort."

"Resort?" I said confused. "What type of resort."

"You'll see when we get there." Novus pressed a button. A vent opened and began sucking in all the smoke. "Stella, we should be almost there. Prepare to land."

I followed the octopus to the cockpit. She sat behind the wheel and using all eight of her tentacles, she steered the ship, pulled levers, pressed buttons, and flipped switches. The ship tilted left and suddenly a giant fifty story building in the shape of a giant cylinder appeared. It floated in an even grander cloud of colorful space dust.

"Wow," I cried. "It's a nebula!"

"It's called the Wingspan. See it looks like a pair of wings."

"I love it! So what do people at this resort do with the nebula?"

"Use your imagination, Eddie," said Novus as the ship circled closer. By now I could see people in spacesuits sliding down the cloud's many slopes with hoverboards strapped to their feet. "They cloud surf."

The ship zoomed down to the landing pad. By now I was both nervous and excited. I have never surfed a day in my life, but who from Earth could ever say they surfed on a nebula. As the ship touched down, a man in a purple suit came rushing over. His head bounced with purple dreadlocks that fell on his shoulders. Novus leapt out of the ship and gave the man a big hug.

"Good to see you," said the man with purple hair. "It's been too long. But when I got your call, I nearly lost myself in joy."

"It has, it has," said Novus. "Hey, let me introduce you to my temporary firstmate."

I stepped out of the ship hesitantly. I was never one for meeting new people with a smile.

"Eddie, this man is the owner of the resort. He's letting us stay here for a time and have some fun, free of charge. We used to be cohearts in crime."

"I was his partner when we were both Wish-Hunters," informed the man. "My name is Jupiter. Nice to meet you, Eddie. Novus told me all about you."

"He did?" I said, shaking the man's hand. "Nice to meet you, sir."

"Sweet kid," he said.

"I'm not a kid," I corrected.

"She's a young adult," said Novus, rolling his eyes.

"Well, young lady," said Jupiter placing his hands on his knees. "How do you feel about cloud surfing?"

"It looks scary."

"Not at all," said Jupiter with a smile. His white teeth shined. "I'll get my best instructor to show you how. You'll be an expert in no time."

Stella hovered out of the ship and locked it with a clicker. She landed on Novus's shoulder shoving the clicker into his pocket.

"Thanks, Stella."

"Shall we go?" asked Jupiter, offering his arm. I grabbed it and off we went.

The giant cylindrical building was named the Wingspan Resort. It was much bigger in person. The front door stood fifteen feet tall and covered in gold. It opened revealing a red carpet that led guests into the main lobby. Underneath a bright crystal chandelier, all manner of people filled the area. A woman taller than any I had ever seen wore a fur coat that trailed behind her. A small family of mouse looking humanoids surried by to the front desk. Jupiter tapped my arm to the music playing over the speakers. Everyone seemed happy and excited to be there.

A bellhop pushing a cart of suitcases shuffled on by. He looked at me with much curiosity. Did he know something I didn't? Maybe being escorted by the resort owner made me someone special.

"So off over there is our cafeteria," pointed Jupiter as we walked further into the loby. "If you're looking for a bite to eat, don't be a stranger. Oh and over there is the zero gravity room. You can do acrobatics without the fear of falling. Just watch out for other people. And we have an indoor pool with a full view of the nebula up on the eighth floor. You're going to love it here." Jupiter brought me to a comfy chair. "Sit here for a moment while I talk to Novus."

Jupiter and Novus trailed off. Not far enough as I could still hear them.

"Novus, I don't know how long I can keep you guys here."

"Why?" asked Novus. "I thought you said we could stay here for a couple weeks."

"So, the news aired this morning. Both you and the kid's face are all over it. Seems they found out your identities. There is a huge bounty on your capture. Dude, I can't have you here no more than one day. Otherwise someone is sure to recognize you. It's not safe. I made sure to jam the broadcast from any of the guests seeing it at the resort, but you know how fast information spreads. Before long the whole universe is going to be after you two."

"You can't be serious," said Novus. "I didn't kidnap the girl. We have a bargain."

"I know you didn't kidnap her. Dude, I know you probably better than anyone else. But the media has labeled you a kidnapper." Jupiter sighed. "One day. That's all I can give you. Then I can have my men escort you to a safer part of the galaxy further away from the Federation's influence."

"Well, I appreciate it." Novus rubbed his face nervously. "I promised the kid to give her a good time in space before I brought her back to Earth. She has Galaxion for god's sake. You know what that wish will do for anyone?"

"Yes, everyone knows. That's why you can't stay long. You and that girl are in serious danger. Neither of us trust the Djinn. If he gets his hands on that girl, he--"

Their conversation was interrupted by a woman carrying a blinking screen.

"Sir, there is a call for you. It's Starprize Enterprise. They are asking about that contract."

"Sorry, Novus. I have to take this call." Jupiter motioned to the woman. "Ursa, please offer this father and his daughter our finest room. They are very important guests and will be given full access to the best this resort can provide. Got it?"

"Yes, sir." Jupiter left. Ursa smiled and bowed. "Come with me, please, sir."

"Hey, Eddie." Novus whistled.

Together we followed Ursa to the front desk. She grabbed the key card from the highest shelf.

"This way, please."

We entered a glass elevator that faced out to space. I felt uneasy stepping into the elevator, perhaps because I was terrified of falling and with a see-through floor, my nerves were on overdrive. Ursa pressed the button labeled 50. In a flash we were rising along the building's side. I gripped the golden railing to steady myself.

The door opened and Ursa stepped forewards into a small room with an elaborate door depicting the story of the first wish. She placed the key card in the slot causing a green light nearby to blink.

"Here you are," she said handing Novus the card. "Press the button by the bed for room service. Feel free to order anything you want. We also have every channel available across the universe. And if you wish to take part in a cloud surfing lesson, they are every two quarks on the ground floor by the zero gravity room. Please let us know how to make your experience at the Wingspan to be the best you've ever had. Enjoy your stay."

"Thank you," said Novus. Ursa entered the elevator and left. Novus looked at me. "So Eddie. Let's have some fun. What you say?"

"I'm excited." My hands clapped together uncontrollably.

Novus opened the door and both of our jaws dropped. We entered the finest room I had ever seen. Everything was pure white with gold trim. There was a home theater, a living room filled with elaborately carved chairs and couches. Two bedrooms stretched on the side with beds bigger than any king size on Earth. And finally, the most impressive part about this penthouse suite was the room with the long window. It stretched the entire length of the wall and from it one could see the whole nebula from wingtip to wingtip. It was a glorious sight, one that made all of us even Stella shed a tear.

We all screamed at each other jumping around like wild animals from chair to floor to chair again. If this is what it felt like to be kings, I never wanted to go back home to my small attic room. 

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

31.1K 1.7K 25
From Readers- ''Amazing story, it was truly captivating, enthralling and a wonderful read.'' "Awesome read." "..a really wonderful and ultimately upl...
17.2K 1.1K 28
[Wattys 2021 Shortlisted] [Wattpad Editor's Pick] [Featured on Wattpad's Fresh Reads List] *** When an asteroid crashes into the moon and pushes...
15.6K 1.1K 8
| 𝟳𝘅 𝗙𝗘𝗔𝗧𝗨𝗥𝗘𝗗 · [Open Novella Contest 2019 Longlist] Una Morales's week is not going so well. To begin with, her twin sister, Paz Morales...
73 16 25
Keisha is an average (but not basic) ninth-grade student with average (but not basic) friends. Her life is pretty good, but she's a little bored. She...