Gabriel & Athena, Book One: F...

Od NMBooks

FORMERLY TITLED "FATUM" Chosen as a Wattpad Featured Story in May 2017 There's a reason high school senior At... Více

CAST
CHAPTER 1 (Part 1): JUDGMENTS
CHAPTER 1 (Part 2): JUDGMENTS
CHAPTER 2: COMMON GROUND
CHAPTER 3: RESEARCH
CHAPTER 4: INTENTIONS
CHAPTER 5: COMING CLEAN
CHAPTER 6: RUMORS
CHAPTER 7: PAST, PRESENT & FUTURE
CHAPTER 8: THE DEAL
CHAPTER 9: SCHOOL SPIRIT
CHAPTER 10: THE CHASE
CHAPTER 11: TRUTH OR DARE
CHAPTER 12: RULES
CHAPTER 13: FATE
CHAPTER 14: HEAD VS. HEART
CHAPTER 15: SECRETS & SAVIORS
CHAPTER 16: A GRAND GESTURE
CHAPTER 17: CHOICES
CHAPTER 18: MAKING PLANS
CHAPTER 20: THE LAST CHAPTER
EPILOGUE: WELCOME TO THE FUTURE
Letter to the Fans
Update: November 30, 2017
CHAPTER 1 (Part 1) - GABE'S POV: NORMAL

CHAPTER 19: THE REAL WORLD

3.9K 185 58
Od NMBooks

 Chapter Soundtrack - Chapter 19: "Field Of Innocence" by Evanescence

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"All right, you are all set," I said, zipping up Gretchen's dress. 

She swung around and walked to the full-length mirror in the corner of her room and surveyed the image staring back at her.  Her hair had been meticulously curled, long blonde waves now flowing down her back.  Her dress was made of gold shiny material with spaghetti straps and a round plunging neckline.  The material was extremely form-fitting and gathered together on one side below the hip, held together by a shiny broach.  The broach was also the starting point of a slit that ran all the way down her leg.  It was wildly sexy but Gretchen made it look classy as well.  I had accompanied her while she had her hair and makeup done and then returned to her house to help her get ready for the prom.

"I can't believe you're not going to be there," she whined.  "We were supposed to do this together."

"Since when?" I scoffed.  "Besides, you were the one who gave me the tickets for the concert."

"You know what I mean," she continued, putting on a pair of long gold chandelier earrings.  "Where are you meeting Gabe again?"

"We're meeting up at the concert hall.  Since the show doesn't start until later, we're grabbing some dinner first."

"Wow, you're going to have an actual date?  With other people around?  Are you sure you're going to be able to handle it?" she asked sarcastically.

"Very funny," I replied.  "It's not like I want to keep my relationship with Gabe a secret.  My parents are giving me no other choice."

"You've got to admit, it makes it hotter, doesn't it?"

"Honestly, I think that even if we were surrounded by a crowd of people, it would be equally as hot," I informed her, giving her an evil smile.

"That boy has definitely had an influence on you," she observed.  "A good one, of course."

"Of course," I said mockingly. 

We started laughing as she checked her makeup in the mirror one last time.  "Are you going straight home after the concert?"

I became silent.  Although I was using Gretchen as my alibi to stay out all night, I hadn't informed her of that.  I trusted her, but I also wanted to keep what Gabe and I were planning personal and intimate.  I didn't want any outside forces to be involved.  Tonight would be just for me and him.  "Yeah," I said quietly, "I'm going straight home."  I walked over to the bed and picked up my purse.  "Well, looks like you're ready to go and I better be leaving also."

"Okay," she replied, rushing over and giving me an enthusiastic hug.  "Have a great time!  Remember, we're meeting up tomorrow at Indigo to swap details."

"I'll be there," I promised, looking her over.  "You look fantastic, Gretchen."

"Thanks.  Have fun!" she yelled as I walked out of her bedroom. 

"You too," I hollered back.  As I made my way to my car, my nerves started to creep in on me.  Helping Gretchen had been a great distraction from thinking about the night ahead.  I was intensely excited and nervous at the same time.  I tried to calm myself down as I drove towards the concert hall, which was about thirty minutes away from Sparrow.  Gabe didn't like us driving separately, but it made the most sense.  Later we'd both leave our cars in the parking area near the forest.  It would be late by then so there would be little to no chance of being spotted.  I pulled into the venue's parking lot and immediately spotted the grey Aston Martin.  As I cut the engine I could see Gabe jump out of his car and start walking towards me.  I stepped out of mine and practically ran into his arms, hugging him tightly.

"Hey there, goddess," he said, gently lifting me up and then setting me back down.

"Hi," I replied, kissing him. 

After a few seconds, he pulled away and smiled down at me.  "Ready for our big night out in the real world?"

"More than ready," I responded, smiling back.

                                                                                #   #   #

We emerged from the venue laughing.  "I'm going to have to thank Gretchen again for the tickets.  They were incredible," I remarked as we made our way into the dark parking lot.  The moon and the venue's blue neon sign which read The Clover Theater were our main sources of light.

"Agreed," he said, suddenly stopping about ten feet away from his car and studying me.  "I love seeing you like this," Gabe remarked, sliding a loose piece of my hair behind my ear.

"Like what?" I asked.

"Perfectly happy, or atleast I hope so....since I am," he said, his voice dropping to just above a whisper.  His stare was electric and magnetic, but also betrayed a hint of nervousness.

"I always am when I'm with you," I breathed, my response automatic.  I had barely uttered the last word before he reached out, pulling me tightly against him and pressing his lips possessively over mine.  

His kiss was demanding and giving at the same time, his hands framing my face as he hungrily stroked his tongue against mine.  Moments later we reluctantly broke apart, both of us breathing heavily.  Gabe kept his lips millimeters from mine as he spoke.

"Are you ready to go?" he asked.

I looked up to see the desire clearly visible in his dilated pupils and golden halos that were now swirling with fire, causing every molecule of my body to burn.

I wanted him.  All of him.  Forever.  Now.

"Yes," I said, kissing him again.  

His hands slid down my arms and wrapped around my lower back, securing me against his hard body.  He slowly lifted me off the ground and began to turn, never breaking the kiss.  I assumed he was walking us to his car, but what sounded like thunder stopped him.  Stopped everything.

My body sank to the ground as Gabe's arms went slack.  I looked up to see him staring at me with a shocked expression, his lips slightly parted.  "What's wrong?" I asked, my heartbeat quickening.

He struggled to speak, instead abruptly raising one hand and placing it on the side of my face.

Before I could ask again what was wrong, I noticed the look in his eyes was quickly transforming from disbelief to agony.  He groaned, his hand slipping down to my neck.  I barely registered him ripping my necklace off of me as his body began to fall to the ground.

Instinctively I reached my arms around him to try to hold him up, but the weight of his body was too much, causing me to fall to the ground next to him, my hands pinned beneath his lower back.  I looked at Gabe's face while trying to yank my hands out from under him.  

He was staring up at the sky, his breaths coming in slow and shallow.  

I called out his name, simultaneously freeing both hands.  I crawled forward and knelt next to Gabe's head, reaching to turn his face towards me.

That's when I saw the blood.  My hands were drenched in it.  In Gabe's blood.  Everything from that moment happened in flashes.

A scream from someone nearby.  

"He's been shot!"

"Call 911!"

Fear speeding through my veins, causing my heart to beat uncontrollably fast and my body to shake.

"An ambulance is on it's way!"

Gabe slowly turning his face to look at me, his mouth trying to form words, but the pain clearly making it hard to do so.  He uttered one lonely word before his eyes shut completely, but the message was clear.  "Go!"

Screaming.  Now I was screaming.  "Stay!"

Sirens.  Police.  An ambulance.  Questions, but no answers.

More sirens providing a haunting soundtrack for the torturous ride to the hospital.

Gabe on a stretcher.  Doctors everywhere.  Gabe being wheeled away from me.

More police.  More questions.  Still, no answers.

Silence.

I looked around the waiting room I had been ushered into by a nurse with a short brown bob and blue eyes laced with pity.  Strangely there was no one else present.  Was I the only person waiting to hear the fate of the one I loved the most?

I numbly made my way to a couch and sank down, dropping my purse on the ground in front of me.  It was the first moment in what seemed like an eternity that I could actually process what I had just lived through.  And like a movie reel, it all started to playback in my mind.

Gabe and I had been kissing.  I shut my eyes, wishing I could remain in that memory forever.  But I was quickly shaken from it by the sound that I now knew was a gunshot.  Gabe fell to the ground.  Then I was surrounded by police.  Gabe was put into an ambulance.  Then he left me.  Left me with nothing but his blood on my hands.  I looked down, tears starting to slide down my cheeks, blurring the traces of red that stained my palms.  I let out a deep cry as everything inside me tightened with pain at the realization that Gabe could die.  My body tipped to the left until my head hit the cushion as I gave in to the horror surrounding me, crying harder than I could ever remember.  

Rational thoughts tried to work their way through my grief.  

I need to call Gabe's mom.  I should probably call Gretchen.  Instead, I continued to sob.

                                                                            # # # 

Gabe was laughing.  As I walked closer to my couch, I could see him hunched over, staring down at the book in his hands, his entire body shaking with uncontrollable laughter.  I had never seen him so entertained.

"What are you reading, city boy?" I asked, now standing directly in front of him.

He looked up at me, his laughter subsiding into a smirk.  "See for yourself.  I think you know this story well."  He held up the book so I could see the cover.

I inhaled sharply.  In big red letters was the word FATE, and directly below it was the sketch of the home he had shown me a few weeks earlier.  Only this home was located on a small piece of land resembling an island.  And surrounding the house wasn't water, but a dark red liquid.  Blood.

I stared at him, fear building within me.  "I don't understand," I cried.

Gabe stood up and pushed the book into my chest.  "It's our story.  And I have to tell you, it's one of the funniest I've read in a long time.  Especially the scene where we're making plans about living in that house."

"It's not just a story, Gabe.  It's real.  We're real, the house you sketched for us is real, our love is real.  Why are you acting like this?" I asked, shaken by his behavior, and the unnaturally cold look in his eyes.

"Because," he replied, his voice now morphing deeper as his features started to transform.  "I warned you that you wouldn't survive."

Gabe was no longer standing in front of me.  I was now staring at Isaac Valente.  He was smiling back at me, and as he raised his right hand, I saw he was holding a black, shiny gun.

"I tried to reason with you, but you didn't listen," Isaac said, aiming the gun at me.  "Now, you're going to pay the price."

"No! Please," I begged, shutting my eyes.  After a few seconds I opened them again, only to see Gabe had taken Isaac's place.  I breathed a sigh of relief, but it was short-lived as I noticed he was holding the same gun his father had.

"Gabe, what are you doing?" I cried, my lips trembling.

He stared at me with a calculating look in his eyes.  "I told you there are no happy endings."  Before I could respond he aimed the gun at the book I was holding against my chest and pulled the trigger.

I woke with a start, crying out Gabe's name. I opened my eyes only to immediately shut them again against the harsh glare of bright light.  I cautiously opened my eyes again while sitting up, my brain drifting from one imaginary nightmare to a horrifyingly real one.  I was in the hospital.  Gabe was shot.  And somehow, I had foolishly allowed myself to fall asleep!  I quickly rose to my feet and headed towards the door, not knowing how much time had passed and wondering if I had slept through something worse than what I had lived through.

"He's in recovery," a voice said to my left.  

I turned to find one of the most stunning women I had ever seen in my life sitting in a chair against the wall across from where I had been seated.  Long brown waves cascaded past the flawless ivory skin of her face and past her shoulders.  She was dressed in dark blue boot-cut jeans and a maroon v-neck sweater that on anyone else would have been casual, but on her looked like high-end couture.  It was the familiar halos that gave her identity away.  Though they were currently red and puffy, no doubt a side effect from tears shed for her youngest child, Gabriel had clearly inherited his beautiful eyes from his mother.  I couldn't help but stare into them, my heart aching to look in to Gabe's instead.

She seemed to take a heavy interest in me as well, meeting my stare with her own.  I tried to decipher what she might be thinking, but her face betrayed nothing except a sadness that seemed to have taken a permanent residence within her features long before this night.

"The doctors were able to remove the bullet without any complications.  His spine and major organs were untouched, so Gabriel should make a full recovery....physically."

I let out a deep breath I didn't even know I had been holding.  My body seemed about to deflate as relief washed over me, and I slowly walked over to sit in a chair directly in front of Gabe's mom, facing her.

"I should have been the one to call you," I said hoarsely, my throat dry.  "I'm sorry.  Everything happened so fast and when I was finally here and by myself, I just....."

"Broke down," she finished, her words filled with understanding.

But of course she would understand.  This wasn't the first time one of her sons had been shot.

"Yes," I confirmed.  "And then, somehow, I fell asleep.  I can't believe I just tuned out, and for hours," I hissed, shaking my head angrily, disgusted with myself.

"Sometimes our bodies need to shutdown in order to cope with traumatic events.  It's nothing to be ashamed of, Athena.  From what the police tell me, you and Gabriel survived a horrific night," Francesca said, her voice soft.  It struck me then just how calm her entire persona was.  Her hands were linked together and placed on her crossed legs.  But then, I had been out for hours....plenty of time for her to have had her own breakdown.

"How long before we can see him?" I asked shakily.

"About another half hour.  The nurse will let us know when he's settled in his room."

I nodded my head and looked down, my hands gripping the armrests to keep myself from running to recovery.  My heart was pleading to just find Gabe, wherever he was.  My head knew I needed to stay seated and figure out what I could say to Gabe's mother about how her son ended up in the hospital.

I looked up at her wearily.  "I wish I could tell you exactly what happened, Mrs. Valente, but I honestly didn't see anything or anyone.  One minute Gabe was holding me and the next...."  I stopped, not able to finish saying that Gabe had been shot.  That Gabe had almost died.  Reliving the memory was hard enough without putting it into words.

Her eyes became glassy, but she reigned in her tears, not letting any fall.  "I already know what happened, Athena."

"What do you mean?  Did the police find the shooter?" I asked hurriedly, hoping the person responsible would soon be brought to justice.

She smiled gently.  "No, they didn't.  And they never will."

"I don't understand."

"Yes, you do," she responded.  Her eyes were focused on mine, and they were filled with a mixture of sympathy and determination.

I stayed silent, knowing that whatever she was about to say, it wouldn't be easy for either one of us.

She closed her eyes for a brief second, exhaling as she refocused on me.  "When I was eighteen, my girlfriends and I took a post-graduation trip to New York City.  We were all desperate to get away from this town, and me probably the most.  Though there are things about Sparrow I love, I always felt like there was so much more to life than what I could find here.  That was part of the reason I had accepted a full scholarship to Stanford.  California was on the other side of the country, practically a different world.  And that's what I wanted more than anything.  To leave Sparrow and live a different life."

She must have noted the look of shock on my face because she paused for a second and smiled.  "I received multiple full scholarships in fact.  So many options to choose from.  I had no idea then how the choices we make in our youth can define the rest of our lives.  You see, I never made it to Stanford.  As I said, the summer after I graduated high school, I went on a trip to Manhattan that was only supposed to last five days.  But then I met a boy.  A beautiful boy with the most earth-shattering eyes you've ever seen.  And from the first moment I looked into them, there was only one possible choice for me."

My body tensed while she spoke as I realized that I knew this story already.  I had lived it.  With her son.

"Isaac Valente consumed my world.  My entire life.  And in the beginning, the sacrifices I made for him, though hard, were worth it to me.  Who turns their back on a love that I had only previously seen in fiction?  Certainly not me," she scoffed.  She reached one hand to her throat and looked to her left, staring out the window into the dark night, and judging by the slight tremble in her lips, she was remembering even darker memories.

"Why are you telling me this?" I whispered.

She slowly turned her head back to face me.  "Because you have a choice to make now, Athena.  An important one."

"I love Gabe," I declared without hesitation.

"I know," she replied, her words accompanied by what sounded like a hybrid of a laugh and a cry.  "And my son loves you very much.  And very deeply. He loves the way his father loves: uncontrollably and irrevocably."

I wanted to weep.  I knew Gabe loved me, but hearing his mother say it just fueled the desire in me to seek him out, put my arms around him and never let him go.

"I appreciate that you're trying to warn me about the dangers of your life, but you're wrong when you say I have a choice to make.  Gabe has already decided that he's not walking in his father's footsteps."

She stared at me for a moment, the halos in her eyes shining brightly once again with unshed tears.  "Isaac will never let him go," she responded.

"But it's not his.."

"He already lost one son.  He won't lose another," Francesca stated firmly, sighing as she stood up and walked towards the window.  "I can hear all the questions running through your mind.  How could a father want this life for his son?  How could a mother stay in this life after the tragic death of her eldest son?  How could we both be so selfish?"

She paused.  I wasn't sure if she was waiting for a confirmation, but although I was indeed wondering all these things and more, I stayed quiet, hoping she would provide answers that would make some kind of sense.

She slowly turned to face me, her cheeks now lined with the tears she'd been holding back.  "The same reason you're here right now.  Gabriel was shot tonight.  He almost died, but thankfully survived, this time.  You're a smart girl, which means you know that this has ties to Isaac's business.  And you also know that it very well could have been you.  Yet here you sit, ignoring all of it.  All the risks, all the danger...because you love my son.  As I love my husband.  Loving Isaac Valente has been my brightest blessing and my darkest sin."  She walked slowly towards me, her eyes and voice both turning hard.  "If you choose to enter this life, it's forever.  And in the beginning the love you and Gabriel share will overshadow the nights when he'll be away, leaving you to wonder if he'll come back safely.  You'll pretend you don't mind the security that constantly travels with you, or that your family doesn't speak to you, or the constant police investigations into your life."

My heart started to beat a little faster as she painted a future with Gabe that was very different from the one we had so happily planned together.

"And then things will happen that not even your love will be able to heal.  Tragedies that will leave your heart permanently broken, mainly because you know that you are partly to blame for them occurring in the first place."

"Stop," I finally cried out, not able to hear anymore.  "You're doing exactly what your husband tried to do a few weeks ago...scare me into leaving Gabe."

"Yes, I heard he came to see you.  Gabriel was beyond furious. I can assure you that I had no idea and would have tried to prevent it had I known," she said.

"I told him then that I wouldn't be giving up Gabe.  And everything you've just said hasn't caused you to succeed where your husband failed."

She smiled softly.  "I didn't think I would, Athena.  But as a woman who once had to make the same decision you currently face, I had to try."

The same nurse who had brought me into the waiting room walked in.  I stood up as Francesca took a few steps toward her.  "Your son is out of recovery and is requesting to see you."

"What's his room number?" I quickly asked, once again feeling overwhelming relief that his surgery had gone well and that he would be okay.

The nurse hesitated for a moment, looking from me to Francesca.  "Gabriel was very clear in that he only wants to see you, Mrs. Valente."  She glanced back at me.  "For now, that is."

The wind was knocked out of me.  He had to know I was here, which meant he was deliberately keeping me away.  Why?

I looked at Francesca, who was gazing at me with what looked like regret.  "Don't be hurt, Athena.  Gabriel has just come out of surgery and must still be feeling pretty rough and a little vulnerable.  Of course he wouldn't want you to see him that way.  He's a Valente."

I opened my mouth to speak, but couldn't.  It did hurt, and in my gut I felt that this was more than what she was saying.  That as horrible as this night had been, something even more awful was coming.

"It should really only be immediate family right now, honey," the nurse said kindly to me before turning back to Gabe's mom.  "I'll take you to him if you're ready."

"Of course," Francesca replied, walking over to the seat she had been sitting in and picking up her handbag from the floor.

"Does Mr. Valente know?" I asked, wondering what, if any, retaliation Gabe's father was planning for the near death of his son.  The mere thought caused a cold shiver to run the length of my body.

"Yes," she answered, walking back over to me.  "Isaac is already on his way."

I nodded my head simply, not surprised.

She eyed me wearily before speaking again.  "As are your parents."

"What?" I practically screamed.  "You called them?"

"I had to, Athena."

"But they didn't know I was with Gabe tonight.  They thought I was at my prom!" I cried, feeling sick to my stomach.

"Please forgive me, but as a parent, I had no other choice," she continued.

"No, you don't understand.  They didn't even know I've been dating Gabe.  When they found out about our first date, they forbid me to see him.  They probably won't let me come here now," I said, foreseeing the moment when I would have to explain not only tonight but the last few months of deceit and already dreading it.  

As I stared at her, a knowing look crept into her eyes.  She did understand.  She knew what my parents' reaction would be.  It was one last tactic to make me choose differently.

"I will talk to Gabriel and try to change his mind about seeing you tonight.  In the meantime, you should wash your hands clean," she said, glancing down quickly at my hands that were still stained with her son's blood before exiting with the nurse.

I stared after her, not missing the real meaning of her words.

For a split second I entertained the thought of following Gabe's mom to his room and forcing him to see me, but I quickly dismissed that idea as I realized my parents could arrive at any moment and it was probably best that they not see blood on my hands.  I made my way to the restroom and fiercely scrubbed my hands with steaming hot water and soap until they were clean.  I was about five feet away from re-entering the waiting room when I heard my mother shriek my name.  I shuddered, closing my eyes and taking a deep breath before turning around to see her and my father rushing towards me.  

My mother got to me first and pulled me into a firm hug.  "Thank god you're not hurt," she cried into my hair.

"I'm fine, Mom," I said as she let me go.  

I looked at my father, who gently placed his palm on the side of my face.  

"You're sure you're okay?" he asked, concern clouding his brown eyes.

I nodded my head, guilt gripping me by the throat and choking me until I could barely breathe.  

"Have you given your statement to the police," he asked, removing his hand from my face.

"Yes," I whispered.

"Good.  Let's go.  We can discuss....everything when we get home."

"I can't leave," I said, knowing they weren't going to like my next words. "I might be able to see Gabe tonight.  I have to make sure he's okay."

They both instantly stiffened.
  "I think you've been seeing him enough over the past few months, haven't you?" my mother stated.

"I'm sorry I lied to you," I said, my voice emotional, "but you didn't give me a choice."

"You had a choice," my father countered sternly, "and now look what your choice has gotten you?  The one thing I tried to protect you from happened.  You should have listened when we told you the Valente kid was dangerous."

"Nothing happened to me.  I'm fine," I stated, trying to ignore the hurt expressions on their faces.  "Gabe is the one who almost died tonight, and I'm not leaving until I see him."  I swiftly turned on my heel and marched into the waiting room.

They followed me and my father shut the door.

"Athena, I can't believe you've been seeing him against our wishes all this time.  Our decision was made to protect you, not punish you," my mother scolded, coincidentally dropping into the same seat Francesca had been sitting in earlier.

"I know what you're thinking," I responded, "But you can't just assume the business Gabe's father is involved with is responsible for this.  There could be any number of explanations.  We weren't alone in that parking lot.  Someone else could have been the target.  Or it could have been completely random."

"Stop trying to make excuses for him," my father growled angrily as he stared at me in disbelief.
"This wasn't Gabe's fault," I exclaimed.

"Of course this is his fault," my father answered.  "Have you ever almost been the victim of a drive by shooting before you started spending time with him?"

"Do you have proof?" I cried, barely able to contain my fury.  Blaming Gabe was completely unfair, and I couldn't stand anyone thinking or saying that this was his fault.

My father started pacing the length of the room while my mother remained sitting, her head down.  "These people are professionals.  They don't leave clues behind."

"James," my mother said, "I think that's enough for now." I glanced over at her.  She met my gaze for only a few seconds before looking away, but it was long enough for me to clearly see the exhaustion and disappointment etched into every feature of her face.

"Well, she needs to hear this so she doesn't end up here again, because next time she won't be this lucky," he shot back to her.  He shifted his attention to me.  "Athena, you have to stop living in this fantasy world where you think Gabriel is not involved in the mob.  He is, and because he is, that makes him a target.  Anyone who is around that kid becomes a target as well."

I closed my eyes, bristling at the words coming out of my father's mouth.  They were the same words Isaac had said just a few weeks ago, but they weren't true.  I wouldn't allow them to be.  "If that's the case, then why do they allow him in public places, huh?" I said.  "The way you're talking, he should be locked up somewhere by himself so he can't bring harm to anyone."

"That's exactly what they should do for what he's done to you," my father yelled.  "But the point is if you are considered important to the Valente family, you are instantly valuable to their enemies.  You become a way to get to them.  Don't you see that, Athena?  It's not like you to be this irrational."

"I'm not irrational," I uttered softly.  "I'm in love."

Both of my parents looked at me in shock.  My father shook his head.  "You are eighteen.  You may think you're in love with him, but..."

"I am in love with him," I declared bitterly, making sure they heard each word clearly.  "And I am going to be with him.  You can try to stop me, but you'll fail."
  I looked away from him, not knowing what other words I could speak to make them all realize they were wrong about Gabe.

The door slowly started to open, causing all of us to turn towards it.  Francesca walked in and closed the door behind her.  "I'm so sorry to interrupt."  She looked at my father.  "Hello, James," she said quietly, a hint of a smile gracing her lips.

"Francesca," my father said, staring back.  

From the way they had acknowledged eachother, it seemed they had met before.  And then I remembered, Francesca had grown up in Sparrow.  It was very likely that her and my parents were around the same age and probably grew up together.

"How is he?" I asked, pushing all of that to the side.  All that mattered right now was Gabe.

She let out a deep breath as she faced me.  "He's going to be fine, Athena.  But he's extremely tired and being given a number of different medications that have caused him to fall asleep.  I only spoke to him for a few minutes before he drifted off."

My heart sank.  I knew what she was really saying, but didn't put into words for my sake.  He had refused to see me.  Alarms started going off in my brain.  This is wrong.  This is all wrong.

"You shouldn't have come back," my mother said, standing and walking up behind me, placing both her hands on the sides of my arms.

"Mom, please..." I said.

She ignored me and continued to address Gabe's mom.  "You made your choices a long time ago.  It isn't fair to come back after all these years and make us pay for them."

I closed my eyes, horrified and humiliated.

"I understand how worried you must be about what could have happened tonight, but please know how thankful I am that Athena is safe."

"Then pack up your son and leave.  I want him as far away from my daughter as possible," my mother responded icily.

I furiously shook her hands off me and turned.  "Stop it.  He's not leaving!" I yelled.  I faced Gabe's mother.  "And I'm not leaving either.  Not until I see Gabe." I had had enough of every adult in mine and Gabe's life trying to tell me what to do.  This was my life.  My love.  My choice.

"Athena, I think for now it's best you leave with your parents.  I promise that as soon as Gabriel feels stronger, I will have him contact you."  She shifted her gaze to my father.  "To try to minimize the impact of this on Athena, we are going to do everything we can to keep her name out of the press.  Very few people will even know she was there."

"How are you going to do that?  And why?" I asked.

"Oh, I'm sure they have their ways, don't you, Francesca?" my mother sneered.

A solemn look swept across Francesca's face before she addressed me.  "It was a personal request from Gabriel."

"We appreciate that.  The sooner we can get past this, the better," my father said.

Francesca turned to leave.

"Wait," I called out after her, my voice hoarse with cries I was holding in at the thought of not seeing Gabe tonight. "My necklace.  It should be with Gabe's personal belongings.  Can you look for it?"

"Of course," she replied, giving me one last smile before leaving.

As my parents led me out of the hospital, my fingers lightly swept over my neck, searching for my necklace even though I knew they would come up empty.  The only piece of Gabe I had to hold onto now was his promise to me the night of the ball.  He had said he would do anything to be with me.  And I had to believe that despite the events of the night, he would keep his promise.

That this was one deal he would never turn his back on.

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

509K 8.4K 26
Athena can't have him. He's her brother's best friend who has a tainted past. She hasn't seen him in over four years all because of a drama that she...
The Secret Od Trina Maria

Mystery / Thriller

648 3 34
I have a secret, one I cannot tell. If I do my mother dies but if I don't I might. ---------- Maya was a sweet girl she loved wearing dresses, she ke...
2.4K 76 35
[COMPLETED] [UNEDITED] Athena Vasilios had just figured out that her parents had been leaders of the Italian Mafia. Unfortunately, they've passed awa...
13.2K 1K 45
Hazel Hart has battled through life's toughest challenges, from the tragic loss of both parents, to the harsh reality of sacrificing her dream of att...