《 Skip a Beat 》

Cateye992

𝔹𝕆𝕆𝕂 𝟙 | When an unforeseen attack from Grindelwald leaves Newt fighting for life, his five companions... Еще

Introduction
When things get ugly
When things get worse
Precious seconds
Here's the thing...
Maybe
Just like waking up
Now
It's all in the details
A shred of hope
Mixed emotions
Show time
That's different
Guilty as charged
Aren't friends just wonderful?
Old friends, new announcements
Charlotte
Swan song
Friends, family, and fire alarms
There's no case like home
Tough love
Back to emergency
Surprise, surprise
Chain reaction
White, red and purple
Toil and trouble
Faltering
Back to emergency 2.0
Game plan
High tide
What's there
Step three
Hell and beyond
A perfect storm
When the dust settles
Worth the wait
Everything I never wanted
Flowers and letters
Two steps behind
The Tina idea farm: Back in business
Eye of the hurricane
On your side
No one said this was going to be easy
Can't get ya outta my head
Silk and calico
S is for Seers
Back in the saddle
Ready or not
Unfinished business
Once upon a Tina
Sweet, crazy love
Mooncalf Musings
Alright
EPILOGUE: Out of the darkness

The Tina idea farm

859 54 93
Cateye992

Despite its endless contents, Newt's battered brown suitcase was surprisingly light in Tina's hands.

She trotted lithely down the corridor, experimenting with its weight in her hand, and snatched her leather coat from the rack on the way. Her ribcage gave a dull throb in response to the sudden movement.

Tina slipped it on, declaring that she was going out to anyone that could hear her.

The familiar sense of Queenie perusing her thoughts settled in, then her younger sister called after her, "Nifflers in a hospital? You're braver than I thought, Teen!"

Ignoring the playful quip, Tina almost closed the door behind her, then, remembering the house keys with a jolt, went for her wand. Smooth fabric grazed her fingers, and it dawned on Tina that her wand wasn't in her pocket anymore.

Melancholy threatened to wash over again at the loss of it, but Tina inhaled deeply and willed herself to stay strong. Nothing was stopping her today.

Peeking around the door, a meek expression replacing her smile, she glimpsed Theseus at the other end of the hall, talking to her sister.

"Keys, Theseus!" His head whipped up at the mention of his name. "Keys!" repeated Tina exasperatedly.

"Ah." He drew them from his pocket and yelled "Catch!" before tossing them high into the air. The keys sailed in a perfect arc before Tina caught them, stuffed them into her pocket, and shut the door behind her.

She strode down the garden path, every inch of her filled with purpose and determination. Determination to make Newt's extra two months in hospital more bearable for him. For all of them.

She slipped into a quiet alley and disapparated, arriving just outside the hospital a moment later.

Suitcase clutched tautly in a hand, Tina briskly walked through the doors.

The receptionist barely acknowledged her presence, but she didn't pay it a second thought. She was here to help her friend, and that's exactly what she was going to do.

Straight for the lifts, up to level seven, shooting right out of the lift and down the corridor- Tina was determined to make this the best two months that Newt had had in hospital.

Her hand faltered as she knocked on the door, doubt finally starting to settle in. But she made herself do it. Made herself knock once, then- stuff it.

Tina almost flung the door open.

Newt's head jerked up at the sudden movement, and Tina cringed. She nudged the rest of the door open- slowly- and wandered inside the room. The lights were off, but she could just make out Newt smiling, and it made her grin even wider.

"Hi."

"Hi."

A faint blush was automatically forming across Newt's cheeks- probably from the previous day. Already, she could feel herself flushing at the recollection of memories. How she'd hugged him tight, sat right next to him the whole time- Mercy Lewis- she'd kissed him- again...

Not properly, though, said the tiniest niggling voice inside of her. Tina shoved that voice down, down, where it wouldn't bother her anymore. Her own cheeks were growing warm, now.

Tina debated sitting next to him on the bed- he wasn't lying down today, either- but eventually sank into the cushioned chair next to the bed, subtly placing his case behind her.

Newt's eyes tracked every move- then lit up. Tina found herself staring, then, as he looked back at her, found herself locking eyes with him. Again.

"You... you brought them," Newt said finally, the missing light sparking once again in his eyes. It was then that Tina knew she'd definitely done the right thing. Her smile grew wider.

"Yes."

There was nothing more that she needed to say to convey the unvoiced messages between them, she supposed.

"Thank you."

Tina wasn't even sure if he actually said it or not. She bent down and swiftly flipped open the latches to Newt's suitcase, then rested it on her lap.

If Newt couldn't come to his creatures, then they'd come to him.

Tina pushed the lid open.

She was half-expecting Newt to reach into the case first, so surprise must've shown on her face when he didn't make the first move. A pause elapsed where the pair stared at each other- it wasn't awkward, but it wasn't lax either.

Tina broke off first, trembling fingers hesitantly reaching into the case. Furry paws scuttled over her hands, and Tina smiled to herself, pulling out the baby Niffler.

Of course they wanted to come out. They were always searching for ways to escape, weren't they? The remaining three babies scrambled out after, crawling across her and all over her hands.

Newt was grinning widely now- the first Niffler had scuttled onto his arm. He scooped it into his arms and let it nuzzle close to his chest.

Another baby scurried up his arm and shoulder, where it decided that it would nestle in Newt's uncombed mop of hair.

Behind his shoulder, Pickett peered cautiously over and surveyed the room. He deemed it safe, then climbed over Newt's shoulder to join them. Tina's eyes followed the Bowtruckle to where he plonked himself down on the wooden table between Newt and Tina.

"Pickett's been missing you," said Newt by way of explanation, blue-green eyes flicking back up to meet hers. "I think he likes you more than he likes me."

Tina let Pickett wrap his spindly green arms around her ring finger. "I love you too, Pickett," she laughed, and Newt smiled again.

Another pause.

"Theseus was about to leave for work when I left," piped up Tina, running her fingers through the soft fur of the two babies curled up in her lap.

Newt didn't respond beyond a slight dip of his chin, his eyes wandering around the room. Tina stole another glance at him, scanning for the telltale signs of grief she noticed yesterday.

He looked unhealthily pale, and his looks were somewhat unkempt and haggard- but he was smiling. He was laughing. And a spark of hope shone in his eyes again.

Tina was almost certain that she had the same spark in her own eyes.

"How are you feeling today?" she asked him, her carefree smile fading slightly. "Leta told me everything about the operation, and..."

Tina left her sentence unfinished, trying to subtly prompt him to answer.

Newt only shook his head once.

"I'm alright."

Tina angled her head.

"Are you sure?"

A nod.

He didn't want to talk about it, then. It still hurt. Tina felt her heart sink a little into her chest, and reality began to dawn.

Of course he doesn't want to talk. A few Nifflers don't change everything. It'll take time. Time, until he's comfortable talking about the operation. About the extra time in hospital.

Taking a few deep breaths, Tina held her Niffler baby to stop it from wriggling out of her grip. Newt looked back at her.

"Are you okay?" he asked softly.

Tina allowed herself to look at him for long heartbeats.

"Yes," she said finally, then added, "You shouldn't be talking."

A hint of a smile danced on her lips. Newt frowned.

"I can't stop speaking all together," he protested.

Tina never had the chance to reply, because he suddenly leaned over to grasp a Niffler that had almost successfully managed to sneak off the bed and toward the silver latch on the window.

She only watched as her own two Nifflers- one grey and one black- sniffed at her hands and occasionally caught sight of her necklace, then leaped at it.

"Your creatures have been in great care, thanks to Theseus." Tina broke the silence once again. She didn't bother to mention herself, or Jacob.

The three of them were hugely dependant on the notebook Newt had lent them- Theseus had even taken to carrying it around in his pocket. It was only with the book's help that they knew how to tend to each animal, what to do if they were hurt, what to feed them... Tina often found herself wondering how Newt managed to care for so many beasts at the same time.

"Thank you. I really appreciate it," was his gentle response. His voice was raspy again, Tina noticed absently. He really shouldn't have been talking.

Either he didn't realise, or he didn't care, because Newt asked if her bruises were better. Tina dismissed him with a brisk nod and smile. Her ribs were fine- still twinging a little, but a lot better. She'd healed her split lip the previous day as well, to Queenie's satisfaction.

Another tight silence, broken only by the shallow sniffing of the Nifflers.

Tina felt at a loss. Small talk wasn't doing either of them any good. They were both giving half-hearted answers. She needed him to open up, she needed to connect with him, somehow...

How could she tap into what he was feeling without being nosy? Would it be right to do that? Frustration began boiling inside of her.

Ah! Newt! Why is it so hard to talk to you?!

They'd both fallen silent, both lost in their own thoughts, both confused, both frustrated...

Newt sank down onto the pillow, staring blankly at the unlit light fittings in the ceiling.

His head was throbbing again, as was his heart.

Why was he finding it so hard to open up to her? Why couldn't he talk to her like he could before? What had changed?

"Listen- uh- Newt..." began Tina suddenly. He immediately sat up, pain lancing down his leg, and they inadvertently locked eyes again.

"If you ever want to talk- I mean... talk, then... I'm here." I'll always be here, she didn't need to add.

She offered him a crooked smile. He returned it.

"Likewise." I'm here for you too.

Newt could've sworn she leaned forward.

He caught himself from getting lost in those chocolate brown eyes... just in time to spy the sneaky Niffler trying to make another break for it.

Newt began to reach over, but Tina got there first, grasping it around the belly with a hand just before it leaped off the bed.

"There you are," she murmured to it, gently setting it down in the folds of the blanket again.

It curiously peered up, confused as to how it had ended up back where it started instead of flying off the edge of the bed.

Newt huffed a laugh, eyeing all four babies now.

"They're trouble, aren't they?" he teased. Tina allowed herself a warm grin.

"Absolute trouble," she murmured to herself, watching them sniffing and tunnelling through the blankets. She allowed herself a soft chuckle.

"Tina," began Newt suddenly, breaking the silence. She moved her eyes back towards him. "I'm really happy that you're safe, and... I..."

He hesitated again, Leta and Queenie's words ringing through him.

She still feels like she hasn't done enough...

If anyone's capable of taking care of themselves, it's Tina...

When she comes back, you can tell her, 'kay?

He shook his head- the headache was returning, despite the lights not being turned on. Tina cocked her head sideways at him.

"I... Leta told me that..." he hesitated again. "... You didn't want to leave."

Her fingers stilled in the Niffler's fur. Tina's calm expression dissolved into... Newt couldn't tell. Surprise- maybe with a hint of shame.

She dropped her gaze, attempting at a smile, but just looking nervous.

"Well..." Tina gave a casual shrug, but then shook her head, torn between being solemn or dismissive. "I... Well, I didn't want to leave you."

Newt only stared back. Shocked, perhaps. Surprised that Tina would sacrifice the potential recapture of the world's most dangerous dark wizard for... him.

Just him- just Newt. Just shy, introverted Newt, who couldn't even take a physical step forward, let alone help Tina do... do anything, really. He wasn't of any use to anyone, at the moment. All he was doing was sitting here, waiting for his stupid bone to heal, going through surgery after surgery and not getting anywhere.

Tina would prioritise him over her career?

"Hey."

He looked up.

Tina was sitting, straight-backed on the edge of her chair, hands folded in her lap. But her eyes were full of emotion. What kind of emotion- Newt couldn't tell.

It seemed he was doing a lot of guessing in deciphering her feelings.

"Are you alright? I didn't mean to offend you-"

"No, no, you didn't offend me," Newt responded quickly. "But..." he froze for a second. He had no idea what he was going to say. He was flattered? Confused? Feeling guilty?

"Why?" Newt finished lamely.

This time, her smile was genuine, her head tilting slightly to the left. She scooped the baby Nifflers into her arms and moved to sit on the edge of the bed, right next to Newt.

"Because I care, Newt."

Tina paused, lowering her gaze, but keeping that rare, delicate smile. She chuckled wryly to herself.

"I never thought I'd say this out loud," she began softly. In front of you, of all people. "But I was so scared, Newt. And seeing you lying there, unconscious again-"

Newt bristled slightly, but he'd asked, and she'd started speaking, and now that she'd begun, she couldn't stop.

"- That made me so scared, and it hurt so much, seeing you like that."

He didn't respond, so she went on.

"I remember..." tears were pricking the corners of her eyes, though she wasn't sure why. "I remember before Theseus and I left... he got so worried about you."

Tina huffed a wry laugh, a pensive hint of a smile dancing on her lips. Newt couldn't do anything but stare. Stare, and listen to her as she continued.

"We were all worried. But he was scared, and- I've never seen him like that, Newt. He was so scared for you, and that's the only time I've seen him act like that."

Tina stopped, as if unsure, but then continued again.

"Queenie told him it would be alright... and he said, 'But what if it's not? The healers said there might be problems down the track- well, this is down the track. This is where the problems start'."

Even the Niffler babies had gone quiet. Tina was looking at the floor, but Newt had a feeling that she wasn't seeing anything.

"It took him ages to calm down again," said Tina, her smile fading before it ever took proper form. "But Theseus said what we were all thinking, and hearing it out loud only made me feel worse. I didn't want to leave. I was scared, when I heard that. I was scared for you, Newt. And I wanted to be there for you."

Seemingly finished, Tina hesitated, then closed her mouth, dropping her gaze to the floor. One of the Nifflers in her lap peered up, craving her attention once again.

Newt could only stare.

He didn't have any words. Couldn't think of anything to say, couldn't think of anything that might give a fair attempt of conveying the melting pot of emotions roiling in his gut. So he only stared at the woman sitting next to him, who was biting her lip and gazing at the floor in a sort of trance.

Before his mind could fully process what he was doing, Newt had leaned forward and slipped his arms around her in a gentle hug. Tina didn't bristle, but buried her face into his shoulder, and he could tell that her tender hint of a smile had returned.

Her arms slid around his waist, and- truth be told- it sent shivers down Newt's aching spine. He felt her squeeze him tight- as a 'thank you', perhaps, and in return, he hugged her close and hoped that Tina could hear the silent words he was trying to convey.

I'll always be here.

Cuteeeeeee ^^

I know the last chapter was a bit of exaggerated drama, and I promised you deep Newtina fluff, so here u go :) I've also updated my youtube if you're curious (which you probably aren't but I digress).

I've also been meaning to say this, but I'm sorry that I didn't describe the second surgery where they straightened the rod in Newt's leg. You probably didn't want to hear it anyway XD

Sooo~ what do you think of Tina's idea? I'm trying desperately to keep the characterisation accurate, but I'm not sure if it's working... please let me know your thoughts, and perhaps leave some advice?

I'm not sure if you guys remember, but I announced that I'm thinking of writing a sequel, and I got a lot of positive feedback on that, sooo: it's official!! I'm making a sequel to Skip a Beat!! I'll release the title and cover art soon...

Miscellaneous hint: I'm really looking forward to writing the next few chapters ;)

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

6.8K 118 32
Hogwarts was tough to get through, but it was made easier from having a best friend by your side through everything. Having been friends from the age...
23.1K 529 14
I can't help but be wrong in the dark 'Cause I'm overcome in this WAR OF HEARTS Theseus Scamander × Female OC @2022 Wattpad @AnuLokivord Cover By @A...
105K 2.6K 19
Hmm...remember Newt's older brother? Theseus? The great war hero? What if he had a child, but for some reason couldn't, or didn't want to keep her? S...
6.9K 238 33
After the events of the Crimes of Grindelwald, everyone is left lost. A family from a broken past will they ever be able to pick up all the pieces? W...