Boat of Destinies

Από Radimont

In the year 1984, space was still a mystery to mankind. The deepest and darkest folds of it still hadn't even... Περισσότερα

Author's Note
Vocab for You :)
Prologue
1. Blazes
2. Promise
3. Boat
4. Run
5. Surprise
6. Family
7. Travels
8. The Drift
9. Governors
11. Family Matters

10. Responsibility

4 0 0
Από Radimont

The tabloid felt heavy in Makana's hand. She walked quietly beside Cyton as they were being escorted to the medical branch of the Command Rock. The Terrans trudged behind them, silent as well. The only person that was unaware of their current state was the Yutuvese assistant, a small Pilaran man.

  "How was it in there? Not too harsh I suppose, if you all still have your body parts intact." He chirped, greeting a group of diplomats that passed them. His bright pink skin seemed to harshly contrast everything around them. He was smaller than most Pilarans, his head barely came to Makana's thigh. She was surprised at his great Tuza accent.

"Mog, was it?" Makana asked, her voice tight with annoyance.

      The Pilaran tossed a look over his shoulder at her. "It's Moog." He grumbled. "Whatever," Makana growled. "We just need some silence from here on out. Thank you." The Pilaran, Moog, frowned as one of the ranks behind them chortled.

They walked in the outer halls of the Command Rock. The white archways overlooked the Drift with clearstone to protect them from falling. Makana didn't bother looking out to the beautiful view. Her thoughts were solely focused on what had just happened with the Governors. They had just tossed the Terrans her way.

  She was well aware of the new burden that now rested upon her shoulders. Any wrong breath from the Terrans would result in punishment. Makana suddenly grew very tired. Simply exhausted of everything in her life. Maintaining Chu'a a secret, keeping up with the deuce she didn't love, tending the newly found Terrans, constantly working, taking care of her little sister.

Her shoulders dropped, her ears sagged, her back curved without dignity. As they rounded a corner, Moog glanced at her with distaste at her posture. "Not a very educated Tuzi, huh?" He chuckled, elbowing Cyton in his side. The Pilaran immediately fell silent as Cyton's heavy frown glowered over him.

      Cyton's eyes flickered over to Makana. Just as she thought his frown couldn't go any deeper, her uncle proved her wrong. "Straighten up, niece. There are many respected people here." He said in Siri, his voice in the same dangerously quiet tone that Makana loathed.

No, I'm tired, Makana wanted to scream. But she quickly reminded herself of her family's name being exposed to the public now. Makana didn't want any type of shame brought upon them. Not answering, she felt herself straighten. Her shoulders tensed into a perfect posture. And her jaw squared.

        They continued to walk in silence. Even the Terrans were quiet, shuffling behind them. Moog turned to the left, away from the beautiful main hall and the stunning view. The hall was narrow and brightly lighted, making it seem like real starlight was shining down on them. A group of medical doctors passed them, discussing something in low voices.

They glanced up, uneasiness overtaking their faces as they saw the Terrans. "Good dawning, ladies." Moog greeted with a grin. One of them paused, looking down at him with distaste. "It is doctor to you." The Tuzi woman snapped, turning off her tabloid in annoyance as she walked back to her colleagues.

     Makana knew that in the spheroid of Tuzuno, it was mandatory for all the medics to be women. They had more of a maternal touch, the Governors had decided. Just like how only men were allowed to be soldiers. Everyone was use to it, it had been in the Decrees for a few centuries now. But other species like the Pilarans, weren't. Makana frowned at the back of Moog's head, wishing her eyes could burn holes.

The pink Pilaran man stopped in front of a large grey colored rectangle on the smooth white wall. It took a few clicks for Makana to realize the large rectangle was a door. It hissed as it slid open. Moog stepped aside, gesturing them to go inside.

"My time ends here, friends. I hope you find everything to your liking. And may the stars be in your grace." Moog said with a smile. Cyton nodded silently as he stepped through the doorway. Makana followed him, sending the Pilaran man a hiss. He jumped away from her as if she were to bite him.

       Smirking, Makana took a step into the doorway. The temperature around her grew cold. She shivered, glancing around. Medical holograms glowed around them, projecting from multiple beds that hovered a few measures above the floor. The Terrans glanced around the room, whispering to each other as their eyes filled with awe.

Did their Terra not have technology like this? Makana knew Terrans weren't that stupid... were they? This was common technology that was developed specifically for medical purposes. She hadn't visit medics in such a long time.

From the other side of the room, a door hissed open. Two Tuzi women stepped through, followed by two other species that Makana had to think about before recognizing them. The woman that stood tall and proud was a Voo, from the spheroid of Vooyama. They were Tuzuno's number one material supplier.

        The Voo woman had dark green skin with small white stripes decorating her whole body. Her head wasn't as circular as the Tuzi. Her head was on the lumpy side, with tiny holes on each side that served as ears. Her eyes were a brighter green, which was the only thing Makana could find pretty. The Voo were known for their small trunks that grew out of their face instead of noses.

  Makana found herself staring at the Voo woman. She turned, focusing on the other woman. The slightly shorter woman had dark brown skin that seemed to gleam under the bright light. She had small horns prodding out of her forehead. Makana drew the conclusion that the woman was from Zoavis, the desert spheroid.

      She was always amazed at their spheroid. The way they survived under the immense hotness and dryness. The Zoavi woman leaned over to whisper something to the Voo woman. She nodded, causing her trunk to slightly jiggle. Makana almost laughed if Cyton didn't send her a narrowed look.

"Good dawning to all," the Zoavi woman began with crisp Tuza accent, glancing around with an air of authority. Her mesmerizing red eyes met each and every person in the room. "We will be your medics for today. Before we get started, I would like to mention we have two training medics in our presence. They will interact and participate with every patient. Any questions or concerns?"

     Cyton shook his head. "They are just Terrans. Nothing to worry about." He said. The Zoavi medic glanced at Makana's uncle with a lifted brow. Her skin seemed to glow a little bit more. Makana had read about how the Zoavi people would catch their prey. Their skin would ripple and mesmerize their prey, almost blending in with their surroundings.

   Makana glanced at Cyton. A light blush appeared at his cheeks. The Zoavi woman turned away from him, her long red hair swishing. "You may approach the patients." The Zoavi medic ordered the Voo woman and one of the Tuzi women. The Voo woman lowered her tabloid from her face, taking a step toward the Terrans.

          Terran Nicolau stumbled away from her, his eyes wide with fear as he took her in. Terran Ishani gripped Terran Trevor as the other Tuzi woman made an approach. "What is it with these creatures?" Muttered the Voo woman in Neutral tongue as she took another step. "What is that? What are they doing?" Cried Terran Nicolau as he scrambled away.

  Cyton glanced at Makana with a frown. Now she had to control them too? Rolling her eyes, she lifted a hand to stop the medics. "Wait, give me a few clicks with them." She said, looking between the both medics. The Voo woman frowned, sending her trunk to slightly jiggle once again. Makana turned toward the Terrans before a laugh threatened to bubble past her mouth.

"Remain calm, Terrans. There is no reason to be upset." Makana said, using the calm and soothing voice she used when she calmed Kaipo when he was younger and now Osa.

"These are your medics, they will attend to you. You are in great hands." She explained. Terran Nicolau glanced between Makana and the Voo medic with crazed eyes. "What in the hell is that?" Terran Trevor breathed in fear. His face was contorted in raw disgust and confusion.

"I will not let that thing near me." He snapped as he took a step back. Terran Ishani remained completely still. Makana's ears twitched with newly found irritation. "She is a medic. There is nothing to fear, she knows what she is doing." Makana hissed through her teeth in Terran tongue.

"Why doesn't she look like you?" Terran Ishani asked in a small voice. Makana bristled. The Terrans were like children, little tots. They were always crowding her with questions. Cyton pressed his ears down in impatience.

"Yaj," he growled. In less than three long strides he was at Terran Trevor's side. Cyton's big hand wrapped around his arm, hauling him forward. The Voo medic flinched, sending her trunk jiggling. Terran Trevor thrashed against Makana's uncle. The ranks behind him tensed as their hands tightened against the spears.

"Stop it," Makana snapped. Cyton paused, his ears flicking up. "Pardon?" He snapped. Makana swallowed as she scrambled to think for an explanation for her rudeness. "They're scared, Uncle. Please. Violence is never the way to solve it. Let me explain further. If they still aren't compliant, then drag them all you want." She said softly as she stepped closer.

Makana hated this. She was going to be the medium between the Terrans and her family. She didn't like the idea of becoming the translator of them. Makana turned toward the Terrans with ear flat with tiredness. She lifted an eyebrow to her uncle, causing him to drop Terran Trevor with a grunt.

"For my sake, and yours," Makana said as she threw a point glance at the other Terrans as well. "Do your best to remain calm as we begin these procedures. You all reek of fear. Please behave yourselves, they mean no harm and this is just to check if any of you have any type of illness." Terran Trevor glowered at Cyton as he rubbed his arm. "You better give us one heck of an explanation after this," growled Terran Trevor.

Terran Ishani's tangible fear tripled as the Voo medic took a small step toward her. "Are they ready?" She asked Makana in Tuza, looking up from her medical electropage. Makana nodded quietly, giving them space. The Voo medic gently took Terran Ishani's arm, guiding her to the nearest hovering bed.

Terran Nicolau stiffened, watching the Voo woman with distrust. The Tuzi medic stepped forward, offering Terran Trevor a small welcoming smile. He moved away as she tried to touch his arm. "Don't touch me," he snapped as he followed her grumpily. Cyton glanced at Makana as Terran Nicolau trudged over to his own bed.

"You control them well, niece. They seem to like you." He said in Saka quietly, so the others couldn't understand, his eyes holding either amusement or dislike. And Makana didn't want to find out which one it was. She shrugged, trying not to seem affected by his comment. "They like to be spoken to like tots," she answered in her mother tongue. "Hmph," was all her uncle said as he placed his hands behind his back and began to walk around the room.

The medics were speaking to each other in lowered voices, gathering materials and pressing buttons. Casting a last glance at her uncle, Makana edged toward them. "How are things looking?" She asked in Tuza.

The Voo medic shook her head, sending her short trunk jiggling again. "Their vitals are spiking. It seems something has entered their immune system." She answered Makana as she was reading holographic covering that hovered over Terran Ishani. Makana glanced at the head medic. The Zoavi woman nodded in confirmation as she helped the other Tuzi medic with Terran Trevor.

"Are they going to live?" Makana asked, peering at Terran Nicolau. He was looking at the holograph above his body, poking it with wonder. His medic smacked his hand away. The Zoavi medic inhaled a sharp breath. "Hopefully. We need to find what is penetrating their systems. We also need to find medicine that is compatible with their organs and cells." She said over her shoulder.

"Perhaps it is the atmosphere?" Suggested the Tuzi woman attending Terran Nicolau. "Their oxygen levels are so low, their little lungs aren't use to the chemicals of our own atmosphere." Makana considered it. They way Terran Ishani was growing paler by the beat, or how Terran Nicolau was sweating uncontrollably throughout the dawning. "Or the gravity... they aren't use to that type of pressure." The Voo medic chimed in, the Tuzi medics muttered in agreement.

The Zoavi medic turned toward Cyton and Makana. "They are in more danger than we expected, Commander. We will need to take them inside for further inspection. We aren't use to their kind, we need to contact our outreach team." She explained. Makana crossed her arms. It was that serious?

Cyton inhaled deeply, nodding. "Do what you must. I will send one of my men with you, for your own safety." He replied. The Zoavi woman nodded and left through the other side of the room. The Terrans were whispering among each other. Makana clasped her hands together.

"Terrans, they will take you beyond these walls for further inspection. You being exposed to our air is not good, they need to heal you properly. They will take you beyond these walls for better equipment. May the gods help you." Makan told them as she inclined her head. The Terrans began to protest, not being able to move from their beds.

The Voo medic tugged the bed toward the doors, the hovering bed moving gently after her. The rest of the medics followed after her. One of the high ranks placed a fist over his chest, bowing at Cyton before following the group through the doors. Makana watched them go, a small part of her hoping the Terrans would end her misery and not return.

}{

Makana's heart sunk in defeat as the Zoavi medic walked over to them with a smile, four beats later. Cyton immediately frowned as he rose from the smooth bench they were sitting on that over looked the Drift. Makana followed, tearing her gaze from the stunning view. Her ears sagged as the Zoavi began to speak in crisp Tuza.

"All three Terrans survived, by the light." She grinned as she glanced up from her medical electropage. "Their bodies are fragile little things, but we managed to help restore them back to health. I won't bore you with the details, but we have also made new discoveries with them. It's wonderous how quickly their cells can adapt given the proper treatment." Makana glanced over at her uncle as the head medic began to ramble a bit.

"—nasty little things. But they are good to go, Commander. I will send a medical report to the Governors and chiefs of your sector. If anything else arises, mention your situation and you all will be welcomed back here." She said. Makana's ears dropped further as she realized the medic wasn't even looking at her.

"Thank you, medic." Cyton inclined his head. The Zoavi winked at Cyton, her skin gleaming brightly. As she turned away, Cyton cleared his throat, his ears bristling uncomfortably. Makana stared in surprise after the Zoavi medic as she walked away from them. Cyton wasn't a social man, much less a flirt. As Makana's eyes trailed back to her uncle, his shock had already melted back into that stone cold expression he carried on his face every dawning.

Makana slowly sank back down on the bench. Cyton shortly followed, lacing his fingers together. "You have a great responsibility now, Makana." He spoke out in a soft voice. Makana's ears prickled at the sound of her mother tongue, Siri. It was strange to hear her uncle speak in a tongue that wasn't Tuza. Nonetheless, Makana sighed.

"I know, uncle, I know. I wish I had never found that stupid boat." She muttered as she sunk forward, placing her elbows on her knees. Cyton stayed quiet for a few clicks before speaking again. "I know this all seems like a lot of pressure, but in the future it will help you become a better and stronger daughter of Tuzuno." He said. Makana's shoulders dropped.

"I never asked for any of this." She murmured. Cyton faced Makana completely, placing a gentle finger under her chin. She gazed up at her uncle. The more she stared, the more she could see Mamé in him. "I know you didn't ask for any of this... sometimes we are called on to do the things we least expect. Everything happens for a reason, the gods have tricky ways on showing us that." Cyton said. Makana straightened at the mention of the gods. Her uncle wasn't a very religious man, and for him to mention something religious was rare.

"Even when we wanted different lives... our paths are already set out for us." He continued, his eyes slowly trailing down to the ground. Makana drew in closer, curious to what her uncle had to say. She wasn't sure if he was implying of his want for a different life. For a man with his rank... it would be treason to admit anything against the Tuzi government. It was strange for Makana to hear her uncle speak to her about religion and destinies, yet she didn't want him to stop. She was eager to hear what he had to say. Cyton never spoke to her in this manner, it was somewhat refreshing to hear him do so.

           But as Cyton's mouth slightly opened, Makana heard it before she could see it. Her ears flattened against her head in annoyance as the sound of clumsy heavy footsteps reached her. Cyton immediately rose, his face tightening once again to the face Makana was all too familiar with. She followed suit, pushing herself to her feet. Three erratic heartbeats pounded in her ears, thumping loudly in anxiety and fear.

The three infamous Terrans were being escorted out of the medical hall by two ranks following them quietly. Makana crossed her arms as she frowned. Simply their presence was irritating; she had finally had had a chance to speak about something meaningful with her uncle and the Terrans had ruined it. It was a tiny amount of progress Makana thought she was reaching with Cyton. I guess I will never know he was really thinking, she thought to herself.

  The Terrans finally reached them. Terran Ishani was wrapped with a large cloth, shivering from head to foot. Her skin seemed to have recovered a few shades back to normal. Terran Nicolau had stopped sweating, but his dark under eyes were still dark. He wore a large linen shirt, hanging off of him as if he were a tot that couldn't fit into his clothing. And Terran Trevor seemed completely normal, frowning and squinting at everything around him.

          "We are heading back to my home." Makana announced. Cyton nodded at the ranks and began to walk. Makana silently followed, not bothering to check if the Terrans were behind her. Their heavy breathing and the sound of their nosy movement was enough confirmation that they were. Makana casted a lingering look over at the view. The Star was dying, giving way for the Dark Stars that would soon loom over them. The orange clouds seemed to bleed around the floating buildings everywhere. It was a beautiful sight Makana never wanted to move away from.

"What did they do to us?" Terran Ishani whispered to Makana, crashing her peaceful thoughts.

  Makana glanced at the other woman with pursed lips. "I already told you, Terran. They needed to conduct experiments to discover what was wrong with your bodies. Beyond that, I do not know." She answered curtly. Terran Nicolau hurried up to them to be part of their conversation. "The technology you all have here is amazing. I mean, holograms? So many people back in Earth would kill for this! This is life changing—"

Despite the Terran's ignorant blabber, Makana could only think of one thing to say. "Terra," she muttered, "the spheroid's name is Terra."

}{

Everyone stepped out of the transport that had carried them down the Ridge. A new a surge of people pushed past them in hurry to aboard the transport. Makana grumbled to herself in annoyance as a Tuzi man shoved past her. The Terrans continued walking with her uncle and the ranks. She turned around, her eyes trailing up the length of the Ridge that disappeared into the darkening sky.

Makana knew she wasn't going to get another opportunity to go to the Drift any time soon. She couldn't wait to tell Bimini and her parents about the city in the sky they all had been wanting to visit. Excitement began to ebb away at Makana's insides as she thought of Kaipo. The experiences she could tell him, and maybe someday he would go as well. Her ears perked up as she thought of all the wonderful things she had seen up there.

"Makana, niece, let us continue." Cyton called somewhere ahead.

    Reality came back to focus just as quickly as it had left. Makana blinked as she stared at her uncle and the jittery Terrans. They were heading toward the southern end of Pegoii, where the floater station would take them home to the sector of Sakami. Makana recalled the promise she had made to the girls to visit them. Achak's family had always been kind to her, the least she could do was visit. She considered putting it off, but Makana had done so many times. Her ears slowly dropped.

"I will take another way back home, Uncle. I need to make a few stops before I get home." Makana told him as she turned toward the south eastern station, that would lead to the other side of their sector where Achak's family lived. Cyton frowned, eyeing the Terrans. "I believe it's best for you to come with us. They need to return to your home." He said. The Terrans watched between Makana and Cyton. Makana swallowed, trying to think of any excuse to tell her uncle.

She simply wanted to be free of the Terrans for a few more beats, nothing more. "I need to visit Achak's home. Deuce duty and all, you know how busy it is with planning future things." Makana said, adding a small giggle. Cyton's brows lifted in understanding. "Ah, of course. Don't be too late, yes? I will tell your parents. Be safe." He said with a curt nod.

Makana inclined her head, not rising until he left. She dashed toward the other floater station, dodging a few people along the way. It was early glooming, the lights around her seemed to bright as the city life buzzed with life. Makana paused to look around her for a few longing clicks. Announcements were loud, the chatter of people swelled in her ears, and the bright colors of the buildings that were tightly packed together washed over her.

She inhaled the dirty air of Pegoii. Releasing the air, her shoulders relaxed. Makana was finally free of the Terrans and her uncle. If only she had more time to spare...

"All those riding the south eastern floater to Sakami please aboard now. This is the last warning." The speaker crackled in clear Tuza. Makana's ears popped up, swiveling toward the noise. She moved past a few more people before coming to a halt in front of a small floating podium where the ticket master stood.

The ticket master was a small Pilaran woman, picking at her nails in boredom. Before Makana could ask for a passage, the woman held out a hand. Makana blinked but didn't hesitate to grab the few silver assets that were in her small pouch. Slapping them on the ticket master's hand, Makana ran up the steps and into the floater.

The doors slid shut just as Makana settled in an empty seat. People around the floater were still settling down, some had bags and others carried nothing. Makana noticed the type of Tuzi were aboard the floater as it whizzed forward. These were the common folk of her sector, less poor from the shore where she lived. Their clothes were a little more modern, not as shabby. Makana folded her arms as she realized she was alone.

        It felt strange to ride a floater without her family, it was rare. She usually rode the floaters once a year to head to Pegoii for Celebration Day. Having strangers stare at her inkings, clothes, or face felt odd. Makana sunk in her chair, nudging the small table with her foot. She rode the floater in silence, occasionally staring out of the window to catch glimpses of the glowing cities or towns they zoomed by. It was such a beauty, the spheroid of Tuzuno.

It was something she could never get tired of seeing.

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

Everglow: The Trials Of Agaron Από Atlas

Επιστημονικής φαντασίας

4.7K 241 41
After escaping with Ko through the everglow, Fischer awakens to a whole new world. They've no idea where they are nor where to go next. After being t...
98 5 6
"If these five are all the hope the galaxy has to survive, then we are all doomed." Five pilots. Five worlds. One mission to protect them all... When...
229K 9.7K 34
When an Alien ship came to anchor just outside Earth's atmosphere and contacted humans for the first time, the whole planet was in an uproar. People...
Sentilia Από Christine Parent

Επιστημονικής φαντασίας

177 76 32
Maxine is an 18-year-old girl who is bored and lonely, living in California in the year 2351. She's always been fascinated with how humans used to li...