Crossing Paths

Bởi rosesareforever

“There are always two choices. Two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.” Jade w... Xem Thêm

Chapter 1: The Enemy
Chapter 2: Animosity
Chapter 3: Wedding Bells
Chapter 4: Untamable Desire
Chapter 5: Resisting the Tension
Chapter 6: Stranded
Chapter 7: Lost in the Storm
Chapter 8: Guardian Angel
Chapter 9: Passionate Encounter
Chapter 10: Denial
Chapter 11: Separating Paths
Chapter 12: Moving on
Chapter 13: The Little Green Monster
Chapter 14: Keeping the Charade Alive
Chapter 15: Guard Dog
Chapter 16: No-Strings-Attached
Chapter 17: Baby Boom
Chapter 18: Turn of Events
Chapter 19: Daddy
Chapter 20: Secret Uncovered
Chapter 21: Little Bundle of Joy
Epilogue

Chapter 22: Final Destination

10.2K 450 42
Bởi rosesareforever

Copyright 2014 © Rosesareforever

Crossing Paths

Chapter 22

Final Destination

Sedric was putting the last file in his briefcase when David stormed into his office, his eyes ablaze and a sullen look across his features. Halting his movements, Sedric looked up and frowned. "What's wrong?" The air between David and him had been tense the past days, but Sedric had tried to act civil. David was his best friend. The guy had meant well, even if what he'd done didn't sit well with Sedric.

"I don't think you want to know," David said, sounding anything but happy. Sedric's shoulders tensed.

"Don't beat around the bush, Dave, you know I'm not a patient man." Sedric had this sick feeling he already knew what David was there for. The man had started his own little investigation to figure out who was behind the information leak that caused Sedric to loose his internship six years ago.

"Sit down, Sed," David commanded, his eyes begging with Sedric to comply. "And try not to hit anything, will you?"

"You're making me nervous." And not just a little. David was a straightforward guy, all this hesitation was making Sedric feel edgy. It could only mean one thing. Very bad news. The person behind the leak was someone they knew...it had to be.

"The girl you slept with that night was Jenna Collins, sister of Leila Collins."

Sedric's brows drew together in confusion. "Jenna Collins? Leila Collins? I don't know either of them." Their names didn't ring any bells.

"Let me help you out," David stated. "Leila Collins was the shy little redhead you screwed over in your junior year of high school. You made a bet with a few guys that you could pop her cherry within two months and you did. The girl found out and was absolutely heartbroken."

Sedric closed his eyes and exhaled a long breath, guilt eating at his conscious. He'd been young and stupid. The girl he played crushed on him for years and he'd known it. He plainly used her and probably ruined the little trust she had in guys. The worst part was that he'd never even apologized. It happened long before he met Jade, but that didn't matter. He still shouldn't have done it.

"Jenna Collins knew what happened between her little sister and you. She patiently waited for years before finally making her play. She followed you around, innocently flirted with you and constantly tried to get your attention. She set you up, Sed. She knew Jade was going to arrive home when she seduced you. While you were busy trying to run after Jade when she caught you, Jenna snooped through your stuff and decided to ruin your career as well. It hadn't been part of her plan, but she thought it was a nice bonus."

By the time David was done talking, Sedric was shaking with fury. What on earth? All of it had been a set up? The girl had known Sedric was in a relationship and wanted to tear Jade and him apart?

"The woman didn't even bother to deny it. When I knocked on her door, she happily told me the story and smiled proudly when she described the hurt look across Jade's face. That woman is nuts, Sed. You're lucky she stopped bothering you after her little plan succeeded."

Sedric wasn't really listening to his friend. All he wanted to do was either hit himself for being such a fool or strangle the woman behind the plan. He got what he did to Leila was wrong, but it didn't come close to what that woman had done. She ruined his relationship and almost cost him his career.

"I looked into it. We could sue her for stealing that information, but since it happened so long ago chances are high that it won't do much good. Besides, the damage was done. She could pay, but it won't give you your internship back or the time you lost with Jade."

Anger surging through every fiber of his being, Sedric couldn't think clearly. He still couldn't fully comprehend he'd been set up.

"Buddy, are you alright?" David sounded worried as he took a step closer to Sedric. "You look like you're about to explode."

Closing his eyes, Sedric took a few deep, calming breaths before reopening his eyes. "I need to find Jade," he stated, not giving David a second look as he picked up his keys from the desk and practically ran to the elevators, forgetting all about his files and briefcase. Nothing mattered more than finally explaining to Jade what really happened six years ago.

***

Opening her eyes in the morning, disappointment washed over Jade when she noticed Sedric wasn't lying in bed next to her anymore. After he stormed into her apartment last night, she'd had a hard time calming him down before he finally explained the reason for his fury. It was safe to say it came as a complete surprise to find out they'd both been set up six years ago.

Sedric practically broke down in her arms and kept apologizing over and over again for what he'd done. She'd honestly never seen him as broken or lost. It made it easier to accept that she'd forgiven him after what he'd done. He'd glued the last pieces of her heart back together that still had been broken. The scares would forever remain, but at least she felt whole again.

Sedric had admitted that it would be easy to blame everything on the woman that played him, but the truth was that he'd played his part in it. If he'd been stronger and turned down her advances, Jenna's plan wouldn't have succeeded. Jade was proud of him for daring to admit his mistakes. He'd grown so much over the past months.

Her train of thoughts was ended when the door of the bedroom suddenly flew open. "Good morning, buttercup," Sedric smiled widely, pushing the door open with his foot while carrying a tray filled with delicious food. Breakfast in bed. Wow. Jade didn't think anyone had ever done that for her. It was sweet, beyond sweet. It surprised her that Sedric could be so romantic. He'd never put that much effort into their relationship in the past. She hoped it was a change that would last. She could get used to being pampered.

"You're in a good mood," Jade noted as Sedric put the tray down on the end of the bed and came closer to give her a peck on the lips. Butterflies danced in her stomach as she gazed into his eyes, their depth filled with warmth. Sedric used to hide his emotions behind a thick wall of defense mechanisms. The shields were gone. When he looked at her now, she could read every emotion that crossed his features. He trusted her and finally let her in completely. It was beautiful.

"I've just come to a realization," he grinned, lovingly rubbing her baby bump before sitting down next to her on the bed and pulling the tray closer. Another thing she loved about Sedric, he constantly touched her belly or whispered sweet little nothings to their baby. She never thought he'd be this happy and excited to become a daddy.

"Oh?"

"Jenna might have succeeded to make my life a living hell for six years, but I've beat her. Even after all the damage she caused, I still have my girl by my side, a baby on the way and I've made my dream of having my own law firm come true."

Jade nodded, a smile appearing across her features, as she looked Sedric in the eye. He was right. He'd made all of that happen, impossible as it had seemed. He'd never given up. Pride shined in her sapphire orbs.

"I wouldn't go as far as saying she did me a favor, but she did teach me to appreciate what I have and that hard work pays off. Everything always has been easy for me. It was time I started to fight for what I wanted instead of being handed it with a cherry on top."

Now smiling brightly, Jade wrapped her arms around Sedric's shoulders and pressed her lips firmly against his. "I love you," she murmured against him. She'd doubted her decision of forgiving him so easily, but in that moment she knew she made the right choice. He'd mess up in the future, she didn't doubt it, but it would only make them stronger in the end.

"I love you more," Sedric grinned, pulling her onto his lap.

"Impossible," Jade returned.

"Go on a holiday with me? I think we both deserve a break."

"A holiday?" Jade repeated, frowning. "Don't you have to work?" She knew it was super busy at the firm lately. Sedric often had to work extra hours when she knew he'd rather be home.

"I can easily take a few days off. David will keep everything running smoothly. We could use some time together to relax and enjoy your pregnancy. I already know the perfect location."

Jade's frown deepened. "This is all very sudden, Sed. I don't know if Alexis will give me a few days off on such a short notice. I love the idea of spending some alone time with you, but I don't know if it's possible."

"I'll make it happen. Don't worry, buttercup, you're in good hands."

***

Jade shouldn't have doubted that he could pull it off. Sedric stayed true to his promise and arranged a one-week getaway trip to a secret location. He still hadn't told her their destination, no matter how many times she asked. Jade had tried every tactic she could come up with, from pouting to getting mad to trying to charm him. Nothing worked. Sedric could be damn stubborn when he wanted to be.

"We're almost there, buttercup, don't pout," Sedric told her, after she asked him for the millionth time where they were going.

"You know I hate surprises."

"Sweetheart, you love surprises. You just hate having to wait until you find out what your surprise is." He was right and he knew it. Dammit. That annoying man!

"Sed, all this excitement isn't good for the baby," Jade tried, knowing it was a low blow, but desperate enough to bring it up anyway.

She expected Sedric to either get mad or worried. He did the opposite and burst into laughter. "Sedric Miller!" Jade cried out. "I wasn't being funny."

"Buttercup, you get more desperate with every passing second. I haven't had this much fun in ages. First you pout at me, looking all adorable. Then you get annoyed and start throwing remarks, showing me your fire and getting my dick rock hard. Finally, when I think you're giving up, you bring out your charm and try to seduce the answer out of me. I should do this more often."

"Don't you dare!" She was going to strangle him the moment their plane landed.

"Buttercup, deep down, you love this. Admit it. You love that I've planned something special for you and put all this effort into keeping it a secret. It shows you that I care."

He hit the nail on the head, but Jade would rather eat dirt than ever admit it out loud so she decided to keep silent.

Sedric apparently found her none-reply amusing and burst into another fit of laughter. Ass.

"Giving me the silent treatment now, buttercup?" he grinned, squeezing her knee. She just glared at him, amusing him further.

Before Sedric could say another word, the pilot informed them they were going to start their landing. Jade buckled up and tried to ignore the smirks Sedric was sending her, tried being the keyword.

Fifteen minutes later, the plane touched down. It didn't take Jade long to recognize their surroundings. Her lips curled into a smile. She should've totally seen it coming. "The island, Sed, really?"

Sedric grinned. "This is where it all started for us. The place we reconciled, where we made our baby and the place where one day I'll marry you."

"The place where one day you'll marry me?" she repeated.

"It's inevitable, buttercup. We're not ready yet, but we'll get there. I'm going to marry you in the future, no doubt about it. Just wait and see."

"You're pretty sure about yourself, aren't you?"

"Buttercup, I'll turn it into my life mission if I have to. One day you'll wear my ring, that's a promise. I want the whole world to know that you're mine."

Jade's stomach did another excited flip as a warm feeling filled the pit of her belly.A year ago, who would have thought this is what her life would look like? It seemed too good to be true. The man she'd loved since she was seventeen was back in her life, their relationship was stronger than ever before and they were expecting a baby. How much better could it possibly get?

***

Listening to the sound of water hitting the shore, a peaceful feeling washed over Jade as she squeezed Sedric's hand. They were walking side by side along the beach, enjoying the quietness of the island and each other's company. For once, Jade was completely relaxed, something that always seemed impossible with her extremely busy everyday life.

Sedric had been right - as usual. This was exactly what they both needed. They'd been on the island for two days now and all they'd done was relax on the beach, walk around the island and talk about their lives. All Sedric's attention had been completely focused on Jade and the little peanut growing in her womb. It felt...heavenly. He wanted her to know they were the center of his world and he didn't hesitate to show it. It seemed impossible, but she'd fallen a little more in love with him every day that passed.

They'd made love all morning long that day before Sedric finally pushed her in the shower and told her they were going to take a walk along the beach. He was adamant about not joining her, knowing they'd end up having even more sex in the shower. Jade's hunger was insatiable these days, a result of her pregnancy.

"Remember that dress you wore during the wedding?" Sedric asked, a smile playing at his lips as he thought back to the last time they were on the island. "I wanted nothing more than to rip it off your body and have my way with you."

Jade grinned. "Believe me, even though you gave me the cold shoulder, I still wanted to strip you out of your tuxedo and take you to our room. You were such an asshole to me, yet I still lusted after you. It was embarrassing."

"Buttercup, you've nothing to be embarrassed about. I was convinced I hated you, when we both know I never stopped loving you. Being cold and mean to you was the hardest thing I've ever done. Every time I saw that flicker of pain in your eyes I wanted to apologize, pull you into my arms and make it better. I was such a mess." Sedric shook his head at the memory.

"You know what the worst was? I hated myself for not being able to hate you. After everything you did I still loved you with my whole heart and there was nothing I could do to stop it. Every time you glared at me or threw a snide remark, I wanted to despise you, but I couldn't."

"No matter how much I wish I hadn't put you through that, I don't regret blackmailing you. If I hadn't, we wouldn't have crossed paths and be together right now. We'd still be living our separate lives, hating and loving each other equally."

Jade couldn't say she disagreed. The first days of her stay on the island were a living hell, but they did bring Sedric back to her. If it hadn't happened, they would've never reconciled. She would've missed out on so much. Their ride had been a bumpy one with many twists and turns, but it was the destination that mattered.

And Jade's destination was in Sedric's arms, the place where she'd always belonged.

The end

To every story comes an end, a sad but true fact. There will be an epilogue, but this was the final chapter of Crossing Paths. I know I could've prolonged the story, but to me this was the perfect ending. The epilogue will show you whether Sedric and Jade are still together in the future or not. Please vote and comment!

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

323K 32.9K 181
Special mention in #Wattpad love awards Most impressive rankings #1 in Together-11/06/2022 #2 in Emotional-13/11/2021 #3 in Emotional-15/11/2021 #3 i...
2M 50.6K 33
"Talk to you about it?" I asked with a dark laugh. "it's not as easy as you make it sound," "Yes, Garret! Talking! You know what that is right? It's...
30.7K 861 23
Perrie is unpopular, simple. Because why wouldn't everybody hate you for no good reason. Jade is new and can't understand why anybody would do that t...
5.8K 249 37
Jade Peterson was only ten years old when she was convicted of both her parents' murders. After spending five long years in juvenile detention, she b...