Agoraphobia

By PaulKinsella

A heroic eleven-year-old girl struggles to survive in a dying world plagued by a contagious form of agoraphob... More

Day 10 (eleven-year-old girl)
Before the Peak
Day 1 (The Peak)
Day 2 (The Visitor)
Day 3 (Loft 6E)
Days 4 - 9 (My Recovery)
Day 14 (Cat, Rain, Trashy Romance Novel)
Day 15 (Chained)
Day 16 (I Looked)
Day 17 (Lofts)
Day 21 (Is That You?)
Day 22 (The Unexpected)
Day 23 (Jimmy and Nichole)
Day 24 (Sixteen More)
Day 25 (The Kohn Family)
Day 26 (Imtroxous)
Day 27 - 34 (Life on Elwood's)
Day 35 - 39 (Bad Dad House)
Day 40 - 58 (Settling Into a Routine)
Day 59 (Rooster)
Day 60 (Extra! Extra! Read All About It!)
Day 68 (P.A.R.)
Day 93 (Kim Gets Sick)
Drawings
Day 93 (Continued...)
Day 95 - 361 (Planting Seeds)
Day 362 (LOOK! LOOK! LOOK!)
Day 363 (The Trail)
Day 420 (Elevator Room)
Day 442 (Wallet)
Day 635 (Waste Not, Want Not)
Day 650 - 769 (Preparedness)
Day 770 (Battle Stations)
Day 771 (Bridge)
Day 774-775 (Houseboat)
Day 791 (Pencil Poke)
Day 800 (Caltrops)
Day 805 (Third Bacon Day)
Day 812 (Bitch!)
Day 813 - 814 (Vacation)
Day 815 (Our First Law)
Day 822 (The Shortest Chapter in the Book with the Longest Chapter Title)
Day 824 (Sixteen Great Laws)
Day 825 (Nature)
Day 834 (Tin Foil Hat)
Day 835 (The Least I Could Do)
Day 848 (Tabitha Makes Her Move)
Day 855 (End Of An Era)
Day 1220 (Maturity)
Day 1570 - 1600 (Garry)
Day 1810 (Eating Dirt)
Day 1840 (Jackie Moves)
Day 1841 - 1845 (You're On My Hair)
Day 1861 (Shocking Secret)
Day 1862 - 3758 (Boring Chapter)
Day 3759 - 3776 (Stitch Disease)
Day 3777 (Just Samber)
Day 3790 (Breech)
Day 4781 (Deeds Darker Than The Blackest Night)
Day 1 - 4779 (Diary)
My Reaction

Day 806 - 808 (Grandma Maud)

41 6 1
By PaulKinsella

The morning after Uncle Peter's spat with Jeannie, Grandma Maud felt pain. She described it as the "stitch" you feel in your ribs when you run too much. Over the next two days, the stitch worsened. She became nauseated and dizzy.

Aunt Roxanne and Leslie examined her, but couldn't find a cause. Dr. Harman was also stumped.

By the second day, the pain was unbearable. Thankfully, small doses of Demerol and large doses of marijuana alleviated both the pain and nausea.

Grandma Maud prepared herself for the worst. She put her house in order and, with Grandpa Kevin's help, wrote her own eulogy.

When she started having respiratory problems on the third day, Dr. Harman suggested oxygen might help. Uncle Peter and I scavenged an oxygen tank and gurney from the hospital. By the time we returned, Grandma Maud was dead. We had missed our chance to say goodbye.

It was fortunate Grandma Maud had written her own eulogy because Grandpa Kevin was in no shape to write one. He, Mom, and Uncle Peter were inconsolable.

So it was left to me to build the funeral pyre. While I was still stacking the wood, Uncle Peter came out and asked me if I wanted to come in to hear the eulogy. His eyes were sunken and red. His voice was lifeless. I told him I'd rather finish up. Uncle Peter just nodded and shuffled back inside.

I didn't want to attend the wake because this death was different from Great-Grandpa Ned's. My grief was mixed with guilt. I felt as if I had failed to save Grandma Maud somehow. I didn't want to share my grief with everyone else. Building the pyre on my own was my penance.

Grandma Maud's body was wrapped up in the bedsheet she had died on. Uncle Peter and I used the hospital gurney to reverently transport her body to the pyre. Then we soaked the wood in lighter fluid and lit it. The wood was green, so it billowed and snapped a lot. Soon, the pyre was a flaming tower of intense heat and swirling white smoke woven with sparks.

From the house, we could hear Sarah's saxophone and Vanessa's violin, playing "My Heart Will Go On".

[Please remember to vote for this chapter.]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Undead Paradise By Jacob

Science Fiction

338 23 12
A virus with unknown origins has spread turning most of the population into flesh eating monsters, despite the warnings people go about their normal...
330 96 21
Follow Cass, a former medic, as she navigates a post-apocalyptic world overrun by zombies. As if fighting off flesh-eating, evolving corpses wasn't e...
987 114 32
When a virus begins to spread throughout the world, turning those it infects into flesh-eating monsters. Forced to flee her home, Quinn watches her c...
429 128 57
This isn't just another zombie story. Its real life. The disease eats and craves and mutates. Nothing is ever as it seems. The world is falling apart...