𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓚𝓲𝓷𝓰'𝓼 𝓡𝓸𝓼𝓮

Od Aislinn_Woods

"Have you ever loved anyone?" his tone was serious. "Love has many forms. I loved my mother and father..." I... Více

Cast
Chapter One: The Windsor Regimen
Chapter Two: You Are The Worst
Chapter Three: Interrogation
Chapter Four: Not Quite So Bad
Chapter Five: Consequences
Chapter Six: A Change In Stature
Chapter Seven: The Rules
Chapter Eight: Your Fault
Chapter Nine: A Winter's Ball
Chapter Ten: Her Ladyship
Chapter Eleven: The Night Goes On
Chapter Twelve: Broken Trust
Chapter Thirteen: History
Chapter Fourteen: Attention
Chapter Fifteen: Incapable Of Love
Chapter Sixteen: Trust
Chapter Seventeen: Scars of The Past
Chapter Nineteen: Ivywood Estate
Chapter Twenty: Go Home
Chapter Twenty-One: The Letter
Chapter Twenty-Two: Betrothed
Chapter Twenty-Three: Motives
Chapter Twenty-Four: Shot
Chapter Twenty-Five: Aftermath
Chapter Twenty-Six: Weddingbells
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Flowers
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Coward
Chapter Twenty-Nine: News
Chapter Thirty: Blue
Chapter Thirty-One: Death Doesn't Discriminate
Chapter Thirty-Two: Quiet
Chapter Thirty-Three: A Sixpence Poorer
Chapter Thirty-Four: The Rest Of My Life
Chapter Thirty-Five: With This Ring
Chapter Thirty-Six: A Father
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Who Lives, Who Dies

Chapter Eighteen: The Lady and The Baron

1K 43 32
Od Aislinn_Woods

.•° ✿ °•.

Things at the castle had really begun to look up. The King and I were getting along, Samuel was back, and the twins antics were as mischievous as ever. I smiled as I walked along the castle wall, through the blossoming garden one afternoon. This place had begun to feel like a home, rather than a prison, and for the first time in a long while, I felt happy. I started at the sound of the bell tolling. Was I forever condemned to be late to each and every one of my piano lessons with the King?

I raced my way to the study, finding it to be vacant. Where was he? I sat down at the piano, practicing the piece we'd been working on earlier. A few minutes passed, and at last, the King entered the study, sighing in frustration.

"Do not say a word." the King said flatly, seating himself beside me.

"About how I have for once arrived on time, while you, sir, were late?" I teased.

"I was dealing with war-related matters." he tiredly rubbed his temples, and I notice that he looked pale, with faint dark circles under his eyes.

"Did you sleep at all this past week?" I cupped his face, turning it to face me as I examined it more closely, "Are you ill?"

"My my, I didn't realize you cared so deeply for my wellbeing."

"I-I don't. I was just..." I released him, a blush seeping into my cheeks as I trailed off, unsure of what I was doing, "What are these war matters you've been so ardently dealing with, then?"

"I'm not stupid, dear, I know that was a change of subject. But I will oblige to answer since you seem greatly uncomfortable right now," he smirked, before releasing a deep sigh, "I'm running out of soldiers to send overseas. We've got the upper hand as it is, but that could change in a moment. I'm in dire need of assistance."

"And you haven't considered, perhaps, asking one of your own allies for aid? Or perhaps making a deal with another country?" I suggested.

"I have. In fact, I've just come from a meeting with an official from Denmark. Let's just say it did not go well." he said exasperatingly, "Anyways, let us proceed with this."

And we did. I found it considerably easier to play now that I'd been practicing for such a long extent of time. We stayed for a little while over a half an hour, before the door to the study burst open. Dot huffed, entirely out of breath at the study's entrance.

"Hello - huff - Mister King - huff - I was told-"

"Dot, catch your breath first." I instructed her, and she nodded her head, obeying.

"Okay." she nodded her head after a moment, "There is a fancy lady and man here to see you in the throne room."

"And I'm assuming it was Darwin's job to tell the King that, but you challenged him to a race to see who could find him first?" I guessed, knowing the children's nature.

"Yes, I did. But Darwin is obtuse, he forgot about your piano lessons." Dot nodded matter-of-factly, and as if on cue, Darwin burst through the doors, exasperated.

"Mister-" he groaned when he saw that Dot had beat him to the task.

"Better luck next time, I suppose." I laughed, as Darwin moped.

"Would you come along, Rose?" the King asked, suddenly.

"Why? Because I make things more entertaining?" I scoffed.

"No, don't flatter yourself, darling. I fear that if I have to sit through one more meeting today, I shall fall asleep. I need you there to retain information when I doze off." he chuckled, pulling me up from my seat.

I rolled my eyes as we made our way to the throne room. Before we could get there, however, Anne caught us in the hall.

"Behave yourself." she started, "I know how you hate the Collins, but you'll have to bear them. Especially after your last encounter with them." she straightened his collar, and smoothed his hair, before turning to me, "Watch him. Please."

I laughed, following behind George into the throne room. Inside, stood two lavishly clothed people, looking rather impatient. The lady scoffed as soon as she set eyes on me.

"Lady Genevieve Collins, Baron Quincy Collins." the King addressed them, taking a seat on the throne.

"We must make this short, your highness, for we are needed elsewhere at present." Baron Collines said, and my eyes widened at his tone.

I thought I was the only one who dared show such imprudence to the King? Was this family royalty or simply rich beyond belief?

"Make haste, then. What is it you wish to speak about?"

"We've simply come to cordially invite his majesty to the upcoming ball that shall be held at Ivywood Estate tomorrow eve," Genevieve said, more polite than her husband.

"You must understand that I am terribly preoccupied with the war, Baron Collins, I've not much time to spare." the King answered.

"Oh, but of course this would be related, sir. We're prepared to offer a deal that we will further discuss that evening." Genevieve spoke quickly, a desperate look in her eyes.

"Alright, alright, I shall make an appearance."

"Tremendous, sir." Baron Collins smiled.

"Now if you would please allow Alice to show you to your carriage." he nodded to the maid.

Alice smiled, guiding the couple out of the throne room, leaving the King and I alone.

"I can't stand that family." the King scoffed.

"Yes, I had the pleasure of making the Baron's acquaintance at the ball, as well as his daughter's. Quite the charming family, aren't they?" I laughed, "How do they possess the audacity to speak to you so?"

"They are a family of nobles, and are entirely too rich for their own good. In fact, they probably have more money than all those in Europe combined, and that is no exaggeration."

"Which is why you've agreed to the ball, so that they might assist you in the war."

"The money would be highly beneficial, not to mention the countless vessels they could supply, or the connections they have, I mean they're practically royalty." he sighed, "Anyways, I'm sure you've already guessed it, but you will be accompanying me to their soiree."

"I'm not entirely sure that will bode well with them." I chuckled.

"So be it, then." he shrugged, before a mischievous look washed over his face, "Why are you standing?"

"It seemed to be the polite thing to do in the prescence of such noble heritage."

"Come here a moment." he gestured for me to approach.

"Why..?" I asked, as I hesitantly neared him, who was still seated.

Suddenly, he grasped my hand, pulling me down onto his lap so that my feet hung over the armrests of the throne. I blushed, struggling to pull myself up as the King wrapped an arm around my waist, burying his face in my neck.

"Qu'est-ce que tu fais!?" I yelped.

"I'm exhausted, just allow me to rest a moment." he pouted, not bothering to lift his face.

"You can do so somewhere else, without me." I said.

"And why not here? My dear, I'd thought you'd grown accustomed to my devilishly handsome looks and charm?" I could hear a smirk in his voice.

Perhaps I hadn't, no. But I knew there was one thing the King was not accustomed to, and that was me giving him a taste of his own medicine. I took in a deep breath, making sure to appear suave and confident, rather than timid and flustered. I sat up so that I straddled him, placing a hand on the back of the throne behind his head, using the other to lift his face. The King's eyes widened at this gesture, as a blush I could only liken to one of my own reddened his cheeks.

"I think that it's you who is unaccustomed to my charms... Cher." I lowered my head to a mere inch in front of his.

"R-Rose - You-" I took this moment of shock from the King as an opportunity to escape from his now weakened hold, which I did easily.

"I didn't think you'd fall for such a ploy." I laughed, now a safe ten feet away from the King.

"Wow, Rose, I didn't know you were suppressing such deep emotions towards me." the King said, quickly regaining composure.

"I'd no intentions other than escaping you." I scoffed.

"Escape, hmm? That would be a direct violation of rule number three, I believe."

"You're not seriously bringing up those, are you?" I rolled my eyes.

"I am indeed. And you've just broken a rule. So now you're to be punished."

"Kinky." the King and I both turned, eyes widened, as Dot stood in the doorway.

"E-Excuse me, what did you say, sweetheart?" I asked.

"Kinky. That's what Fran said it was when you and the King talk to each other." Dot smiled, proud at having learned another word.

"Er... Perhaps stick to the words that Trinity teaches you instead, Dot." I laughed forcefully.

"Oh! Speaking of Trinity, she wants to talk to you, Rosie." Dot smiled, grabbing my hand, and leading me out.

I glanced back at the King as we went, and he blew me an exaggerated kiss, and I returned it with a death glare. A few moments later, we were inside my room, as Fran, Alice, and Trinity rushed about.

"What in the hell are you three doing?" I asked, caught in the middle of the chaos.

"Looking for a dress for you, of course, what with the ball so close." Trinity said, sorting through the closet.

"Now that you and the King have grown so close, we must find something that will astonish him." Alice smiled, examining ribbons.

"Girls, I've just had the greatest idea!" Fran said, showing Alice a piece of fabric that I couldn't make out from across the room, "Let us go, we must make haste to the seamstress before the King and Rosalie leave."

"I don't need anything flashy, I'll just wear what I did the last ball."

"Nonsense. Pack your things, we'll have the dress and mask prepared for tomorrow morning." Fran said as they headed out the door.

"Mask? It's a masquerade?" I asked.

"It is."

Joyous. If there was anything worse than a ball, it was a masquerade one. This should be fun.

°•. ✿ .•°

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

12.2K 365 22
Alexander Hamilton and Eliza Schuyler are the exact opposite of each other. Though they have their differences, their love prevails. Alexander Hamil...
Love at Dawn Od Klara

Historická literatura

11.3K 1.7K 42
Featured on @HistoricalFiction @NARomance 🥇2023 Rose Gold Awards 🥇Literary Book Awards Story of Edith&Andre: "O'Lady Liberty divine! For thee al...
6K 108 17
A girl from the 21st century. Y/n was a candid, expressive and an intelligent girl. She's currently working as an art teacher at a highschool at New...
116K 4.6K 27
"Lieutenant, speak when spoken to-" He choked when he got a glimpse of my face. "Yes, George?" "W-What in all things holy are you in military attire...