Bleach Fanfiction

By KanaeItsuki

Kanae Itsuki was once a stray living in the outskirts of the Southern Rukongai District who would get beaten... More

Book 1: Dust And Shadows
Chapter 1: Hope (/)
Chapter 2: Warmth (/)
Chapter 3: Teacher (/)

Chapter 4: Skills (/)

50 2 0
By KanaeItsuki

Chapter 4: Skills

"Excuse me," his friend asked. A girl with short brown hair stopped in her tracks to face them. "Is Captain Ukitake around?"

"Welcome, Lieutenant Izuru and Lieutenant Hisagi," Kiyone said, bowing. "The captain is currently running a quick errand with Captain Kyouraku. However, he mentioned that he will return soon."

"Thank you," Shuhei replied.

"Oh, Lieutenant Shuhei?"

"Hm?"

"There's someone waiting for you back in the training barracks," the third seat officer muttered, pointing them to the room across the hallway. The dark-haired boy widened his eyes and turned to look the way she was pointing with suprise.

"Someone?"

When they both turned around, she was gone like she never existed.

"Eh, she's creepy."

"I agree," Kira Izuru replied, throwing an arm over his friend as he led them towards the training barracks. "I didn't know you have a friend. I mean, other than me, of course."

"I don't know either," Shuhei said, shrugging. "I don't recall being a people person before."

"Hm, I guess the guy just liked you a lot to remain friends with you."

"Its great to know that you like me, Izuru," Shuhei said, pushing his friend's arm off himself. "Hopefully, you don't like me enough to harbor feelings for me. I mean, I am not against it, but you're just not my type."

"Your type?" Izuru said, raising an eyebrow. "And what exactly is my type like?"

"One word," Shuhei Hisagi said, raising a finger. "Stupid."

"You bast-" the blonde raise a fist to punch his arm, only to miss him by a few centimetres.

"Now, now. I don't think Captain Ukitake would appreciate it if you used that sort of language here," he said, grinning. They stopped before a door with the words 'Thirteenth Division Training Compound' written boldly on it and pushed it open, stepping in.

Much to their suprise, it was empty.

There were literally no souls to be seen.

And that was until..

"Shuhei, catch!" someone said.

He spun around and caught the bamboo cane thrown at him. Before he had a chance to protest, he saw the edge of a different cane swinging down to hit him. He blocked it with his, lifting it slightly to see his opponent grinning at him.

"Kanae?" he said, shocked.

The latter smirked and he almost didn't block the blow as her cane came swinging to hit him in the right. But it didn't stop there as she continued throwing attacks at him, occasionally taking defensive actions. She was much stronger and skilled than the last time he saw her, which was years ago.

Their canes clashed until she suddenly halted, planting the cane by her side. Kanae stared at him right in the eye as his labored breaths filled the awkward silence between them. For unknown reasons, she didn't seem to be exhausted considering the amount of strength they had used.

Neither knew what to say as they continued staring.

"You've grown," he said, eyes scanning her. She had not only grown in physical strength but also in terms of looks. Kanae Itsuki was beyond beautiful. The white velvet embroidered qipao that she wore suited her.

"What?" the girl replied, looking at him incredulously. "That's all you can say after twenty four years?"

Behind him, his friend bursted out laughing. Kanae lifted her cane and swiftly sweeped it across the ground. The edge of it caught his ankle and sent him toppling backwards. He landed with a loud thud and blinked his eyes open to find a cane pointed at his face. Her cane, specifically. Feeling defeated, he threw his cane to the side and raised his hands in surrender.

"When did you return?"

"Last night. I went to see you before I came here. But one of your squad members said that you were on a mission. I mean, when were you never on a mission," the girl replied, the last sentence came out almost a whisper. "I didn't want to believe him so I continued asking around, even to the point of threatening them. But all of them said you were either unavailable or running an errand for the captain."

"Um, who exactly are you?" Kira Izuru questioned, scratching the back of his neck. "You two speak as though you know each other for a very long time yet I have never seen you around before."

"Kanae Itsuki," she uttered. "I live here with my father." Her eyes widened upon seeing his badge and she fell into another bow. "Lieutenant, forgive me for not greeting you before attacking your partner."

"Attacking?" Kira uttered, bewildered. "You just defeated him. With just a stick."

"It was nothing, really," the girl shrugged, smiling sadly. "Its merely a game we used to play when Lieutenant Shiba was still around. He'd always get us to duel.." Kanae trailed, silently contemplating.

Shuhei noticed that she seemed to be having an internal battle with herself. He knew talking about the death of her mentor was sensitive subject for her.

Then, she added, "Hmm.. now that the reunion has ended, why don't you two go outside? I'll go make tea. I'm sure Captain Ukitake is waiting for you."

They nodded and Shuhei slid the door open. Izuru turned around to find the girl behind them had already disappeared. He then smirked and elbowed his distracted partner to gain his attention.

"I can't believe the high and mighty Lieutenant Shuhei Hisagi of Squad 9 got tackled and defeated by a girl that simply with just a stick," his friend said, jerking his elbow at him again. "A beautiful one at that. She made everything that you worked hard for years seem like a joke. I like her."

"And she is my daughter," someone interrupted. "Lieutenant Izuru."

They both turned to find Captain Ukitake in front of them. As usual, he had his smile on and he looked better than any normal ill person would.

"If any of you intend to ask for her hand in marriage," Captain Ukitake murmured. The two lieutenants blushed furiously. "You must first ask for her approvement and then my blessing. She may be my adopted daughter but I still treat her like my own flesh."

"T-that's not what we came here for," Shuhei said, covering his face with a palm. Through the peek of his fingers, he saw the captain laughing. "You called for us, Captain."

"Yes," he said, beckoning them to follow him. All three walked out into the garden and into a pagoda. They sat down, patiently waiting for the tea. "I was wondering if you two could assist me."

"Assist you?" Kira said, suprised. "I don't want to offend you but why can't you ask your officers or squad members?"

"Its quite a personal favor, actually."

"Sure," Shuhei answered, shrugging. "We understand. What is it you want us to do?"

"You both have my thanks," the elder man said, sighing. "Its regardi-"

Suddenly, they heard something crash and then a wave of spiritual energy.

"Kanae.." the captain muttered, eyes wide. He immediately stood up and hurried away, leaving his guests blinking in shock and confusion.

"What was that?" Kira said, standing up.

Shuhei just shrugged and sighed.

"Such an intense spiritual pressure.." Kira trailed off, staring down at the cup of tea in his hands. "It felt so.. so odd but could have matched wi-with those of a captain."

"I think it could even outmatch a captain if its not supressed. And with sheer amount of training."

"Maybe," Kira uttered, sighing. He looked down with a disappointed expression on his face. Shuhei gave him a reassuring smile, trying to comfort his friend. Ever since Ichimaru Gin, the former captain of the 3rd Division abandoned his post and joined the opponent of the Gotei 13, Kira was forced to carry the burden of a captain.

Shuhei noticed the dark circles under his eyes and the way he would hesitate whenever Rangiku invited him out for a drink to which his friend usually doesn't decline.

"Do you think the Gotei 13 is going to appoint new captains soon?" Kira suddenly blurted. His partner looked his way with raised eyebrows but before he could answer, someone patted their shoulders.

"Now, why don't you boys just leave?" a voice said. The two lieutenants yelped with suprise, turning around to find the 8th Division captain, Shunsui Kyouraku smirking at them. A certain captain of the fourth division standing behind him.

The expression on his face quickly turned into a frown upon seeing Kiyone approaching them. The girl gasped, quickly falling into a bow when she saw their new guest. The two lieutenants bowed as well.

"Captain Kyouraku and Captain Unohana, greetings."

"Good to see you too, Kiyone," Shunsui Kyouraku said, tipping his straw hat. "Is your captain alright? Just moments ago, I felt a wave of spiritual energy from this area while I was reading in my quarters. So I came by with Unohana."

"Yes, my cap- I mean, Captain Ukitake is fine," Kiyone stuttered. "Its Miss Itsuki we're worried about. S-she tur- I mean, she fell ill. My captain insisted on aiding her and sent me to send the lieutenants off."

"Send us off? That quick?" Lieutenant Izuru said, in disbelief. "But he said he wanted to discuss us about something."

"Enough, Kira. I believe Captain Ukitake have urgent matters to attend to first," his partner said, placing a hand on his shoulder. He squeezed his friend's shoulder, signalling him to not push it further. "We shall go first. Please inform us when your captain is ready. Also, when Miss Kanae feels better."

Kiyone nodded and soon the two lieutenants flashstepped away.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 56.7K 103
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
190K 4K 46
"You brush past me in the hallway And you don't think I can see ya, do ya? I've been watchin' you for ages And I spend my time tryin' not to feel it"...
134K 15.5K 22
"𝙏𝙤𝙪𝙘𝙝 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙨𝙚𝙡𝙛, 𝙜𝙞𝙧𝙡. 𝙄 𝙬𝙖𝙣𝙣𝙖 𝙨𝙚𝙚 𝙞𝙩" Mr Jeon's word lingered on my skin and ignited me. The feeling that comes when yo...
542K 8.4K 85
A text story set place in the golden trio era! You are the it girl of Slytherin, the glue holding your deranged friend group together, the girl no...