The School for the Gifted

Da ObliviousAngel

Andromeda (Andi for short) had a terrible accident, and she was on the run. She knew what happened to those w... Altro

The School for the Gifted
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII
Chapter XXIX
Chapter XXX

Chapter VII

6.4K 217 50
Da ObliviousAngel

Seven

WE FOUGHT FOR a very long time, but soon we had gotten them all. We had lost some of our own, but none of the main X-Men. Claire was in the medical room, though. She was burnt badly by a mutant called Pyro. Bobby said he was one of us before, but he was captured five years ago. I didn't even know who he was when I came here.

     Jamie stayed with Claire while she was there, and she started to see him as more than just a close friend. That made me pleased because I knew that Jamie had liked her for a very long time.

     I mourned for my brother, even though he deserved his death. He wasn't himself anymore. He was brainwashed so badly that the Casey I knew, or the Casey that was left in him, was barely there anymore. He had become a government pet.

     After a week, most of the students were fine and back to doing whatever they do over the summer. I stayed in my room for most of the week to get my rest and strength back. My neck was very sore, but Bobby iced it whenever I asked.

     "Andi?" There was a knock on the door. "You in there?" It was Logan.

     "Yeah, come in," I said. I was reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green for the millionth time when Logan came in.

     "I came to check on you. I've been told that you only come out for meals and that's it. I wondered where you've been."

     I shrugged, putting down TFIOS on my night stand. "Just in here. I've wanted to be alone for awhile."

     He nodded. "We've been questioning Mystique. She said that Magneto is located on an island, the place where you and Claire were headed. She doesn't know when -"

    "Please," I stopped him. "I don't want to hear this. I'm sorry. I've got enough on my mind. I've been considering going to see my family, Logan. My parents are divorced. I want to know the situation. I want to see my baby brother."

     "This is new," Logan's eyes widened. "I didn't hink you'd want to go and see your family ever again."

     "I don't, but it's for the best. I think someone should tell them that Casey's dead."

    He nodded. "I'll go with you."

     I half smiled. "You don't have to go everywhere I go, Logan. It's okay. I'm not that weak twelve-year-old you met ten years ago. I'm strong and can handle myself. I think the school needs you more than I do, too."

    He sighed. "You're right. I'm just worried about you going alone."

     "I'll have my phone with me, don't worry. I'll text you if something bad happens. I bought a train ticket online yesterday. The train leaves this evening, but I was still deciding."

     He nodded. "Go," he told me. "You need to see them. Can I drop you off at the train station at least?"

     I nodded. "Yeah, that's fine." I stood up and packed a bag.

     We went to garage, and Logan took Scott's bike. "He'll forgive me," he said. He lit a cigar and put it in his mouth.

     I coughed. "Do you have to smoke that thing?"

     "Yes."

     And then we were off.

(X)

When we got to the station, he walked me to the train then hugged me goodbye. "Stay out of trouble," he told me.

     I smiled. "I can't resist trouble, Logan." I laughed.

     "I figured not."

     I stood on my tippy toes and pulled his head down to kiss him on the forehead. "Be careful," I told him.

     "I'll be fine. It's you I'm worried about. If I get into trouble, I blame you."

     I smiled. "I'll gladly take the blame."

     He kissed my forehead. "See you soon, kid."

     I boarded the train and waved at him. I pulled out my phone and messaged Claire because I know she'll go crazy.

To: Claire

I'm going to visit my parents. Don't worry, I'll be fine. I should be back in two days. Don't do anything stupid while I'm gone.

    I thought I sounded like a mother to her, but I know she wouldn't mind. She never knew her mother; she died during childbirth. I feel bad for her, but she holds up pretty well. I think it's because of the people she's around at school. The Professor is like a father to her. Better than Dunaway, in my opinion.

     I picture the Professor as my dad, too. He is a lot kinder than my dad, anyways. The Professor is always there for me when I need him. I question how he has time for everything that he does.

(X)

I arrived in my home town a few hours later. It was late that night, so I thought I'd stay in a hotel and meet my mother in the morning. I found out that she's living in the same house, and my father lives on the other side of town. I was both nervous and excited to see them.

     The next morning, I went to my mom's house. I rang the doorbell. Suddenly, I felt that I needed Logan to be with me.

      My mother opened the door. She looked exactly the same as when I left, but there was more gray in her hair. "Hello?"

     I smiled. "Mom?"

     "Andi?"

     I nodded. "It's me, Mom."

     She threw her arms around me. "Oh, Andi! I've missed you so much!" She started weeping. Well, sobbing, actually. "Come in, come, come."

     I came inside. The house looked and smelled the same. I sat down on the couch. "Would you like something to drink?"

     I shook my head. "No, thank you."

     She sat down on a recliner. "How have you been?"

     I sighed. "Where do I start? Ten years is a long time."

     "I've got time."

     "Could you call Dad to come?"

     She hesitated. "Of-of course."

     I waited until Dad came here. He hugged me, but I knew it wasn't the same loving hug my mother gave  me. He was still upset about the incident.

     I told them everything. It took two and a half hours, but I told them.

     "Casey died?" Dad asked, trembling.

     "He-he was killed. He was hurting me. He wouldn't stop. So my-my friend killed him."

     Mom covered her mouth.

    A little boy with dark hair like mine came in. He had glasses and a pale face. "Dad? I didn't think I was staying with you this weekend. Why are you here?"

     "Well, your mother called," Dad said.

     I stood up. I walked up to the little boy. "Hello. My name's Andi."

     "Oscar," he said, shaking my hand.

     Mom said, "Oscar, honey, this is your older sister."

     "I didn't know...I had a...sister."

     I half smiled. "I've been gone for awhile."

      "When did you leave?"

     "When you were still a baby."

     He looked at our parents, then back at me. "You look like Mom."

     I nodded. "Yeah."

     I sat back down on the couch. "What have I missed here?" I folded my hands in my lap.

     Dad said, "Well, your mother and I are divorced, as you can tell. I'm working in Central Office now, and I'm remarried."

     "What sort of job do you do?"

     "I'm the mayor."

     I never pictured my dad as the mayor, but it all makes sense now. He was always one to be involved with government. He probably sent in some mutants from this town.

     "I see. And Mom?" I turned to her.

     "I'm still teaching. I haven't remarried or anything."

     I nodded.

     Oscar sat down next to me. He poked my cheek.

     "Oscar, that's rude," said my mother.

     I shook my head, "No, no, it's fine."

     "Is this a dream?" Oscar asked me.

     I shook my head. "No."

     "I thought I was an only child."

     "You didn't even mention me? Or Casey?" I looked at both of my parents.

     "We...well, we didn't think Oscar would understand."

     Oscar's eye brows furrowed. "I'm 11 years old and very smart. I can understand a lot of things."

     I looked at Oscar. I read through his mind. He, too, was a mutant, but he didn't know it yet. "Watch your temper," I warned in his mind.

     "How'd you do that?" He asked.

     "I'm a mutant, Oscar."

     Dad looked away. He still hasn't accepted the fact that I'm not normal. I'll never understand why.

     "Oh. You can read minds?"

     I nodded. "Read them, control them. I can lift things up, as well." I lifted Oscar's glasses with my mind.

     "Whoa!" He was absolutely amazed.

     Mom froze. "Please, don't do that in the house."

     I nodded. "Sorry."

     "Oscar," Mom said, "we're sorry that we hid these things from you. We're just scared."

     "Of what?" we both asked in unison.

     "Well, we didn't know how to handle having a mutant in the family," Dad said.

     "Treat a mutant the same as a normal human being," I snapped.

     "You don't seem like a mutant to me," Oscar commented.

     I smiled at him. "I was raised right when I left. They treated me with care and helped me control my powers. Professor Xavier, the headmaster, thinks that one day I'll be stronger than he is."

     "You go to a school?" Oscar asked.

     I nodded. "Yes. In New York. A mutant found me on a train when I ran away and took me there. I've been there ever since. It's a lovely place. I fit right in."

     Dad balled his fist. "Enough of this! There will be no discussion of mutants!"

     I became angry with him. The lights began to flicker, and the ground shook. I breathed in to calm down. The lights stopped flickering and the ground stopped shaking.

     "I want to know more about the mutants!" Oscar said. "I hear about all the time at school! Everybody says they're a danger to the normals. Why?"

     "They're afraid." I stood up. "They're afraid of us. They're afraid of what we can do."

      "Did you come alone?" Mom asked.

     I nodded. "Yes, but it was probably a bad idea. I'm leaving. And just a warning: Oscar's a mutant, too. He just hasn't discovered his powers yet."

     I headed out the door and started to walk to the station. I heard a door slam.

     "Wait!" Oscar came running with a bag. "I want to come with you. If I'm a mutant, I don't want Mom and Dad to send me away."

      "Did you have that bag packed already?"

     He nodded. "I packed it today, but I wasn't sure why."

     I gasped. "You can see the future. Your powers are just very weak. Do you have money?"

     He nodded again. "Yeah."

     I took his hand. "C'mon."

      We headed to the train station.

(X)

"You've really grown up," I said. We were sitting on a bench; the train was leaving for two hours.

     "I have?" He looked up at me. "I mean, I have."

     I smiled. "You're gonna like it at the school. There are kids your age who have powers. You'll be safe." My phone buzzed.

From: Logan

How's everything going? I miss you.

To: Logan

Great. We're going home now. I miss you, too.

     "Are you in college?"

     I nodded. "Yeah, but it's summer so I just stay at the school."

     "Will they kick us out?"

     "What do you mean?"

      He shrugged. "I mean, what if we do something bad?"

     "Depends on what you do, little buddy. They won't kick you out though. They help you in any way possible."

     "Will you help me?"

     I smiled. "Whenever you need me."

(X)

We boarded the train and sat down. We talked a lot; he was very intelligent. I began to wonder if seeing the future was his only power.

     When he fell asleep, I called Logan.

     "Hey, kid," he said.

     "Hey. I have a little friend with me. So when you pick us up, don't take Scott's bike. There wouldn't be enough room."

     "Sure thing. Who's this little friend?"

     I smiled. "My little brother. He's a mutant, too. But his powers are weak. He can see the future, but vaguely. I think that he has another power, too. He's really smart. Almost too smart for an eleven-year-old."

     "Hmm...we'll have the Professor check him out. How'd it go with your parents?"

     I sighed. "My mother was more open than my dad. Dad still hasn't accepted me being a mutant. And now that they know Oscar's a mutant, too, I don't think they're pleased. All of their children are mutants. That doesn't happen. Usually it's one child per family that's a mutant, right? Unless both the parents are mutants."

     "Yeah. That is unusual."

     A tear fell down my cheek. "Logan?" My voice cracked.

     "Is everything okay?"

     "No," I sniffed. "I want my family back."

     "It'll be okay. I'm sorry, kid. I'll see you soon, okay?"

     "Okay," my voice cracked again. I hung up and cried silent tears for the rest of the trip.

(X)

Logan met us at the station. I was carrying Oscar because he was still asleep. Logan kissed my forehead. "So this is Oscar?"

    I nodded. "Yeah."

    "You two look a lot alike. Let me hold him. Your arms are shaking."

     I handed Oscar to Logan and my arms dropped. Oscar wasn't heavy, but he wasn't light either.

    Logan had taken Scott's car, which was a lot more roomy than a motorcycle, but still crowded. I put our bags in the trunk while Logan put Oscar in the back seat. I climbed into the passenger seat, and Logan sat down in the driver's seat.

     We drove to the school.

     Logan put his hand on the arm rest, stretching it out so I'd hold it. I took it gladly. "I'm glad you're home, kid."

     "I was only gone a day."

     "I know. But Claire wouldn't leave me alone. She's pissed that I let you leave."

     I smiled. "Very Claire."

    When we got to the school, we talked with the Professor.

     "Oscar is indeed a double mutant. That's the new term the normals are calling for mutants if two unrelated powers. I can't figure out what his other power is, though. Keep an eye on him. He can sleep in your room for the night, Andromeda. He might like it better."

     I nodded my head. "Yes, sir."

     Logan carried Oscar to my room. Logan lied him down on one side of the bed, and I took off his clothes to change him into his pajamas.

     When I finished, Logan wrapped his arms around me from behind. My stomach knotted because I was nervous and embarrassed. "You're very caring, kid," he whispered.

     I smiled. "Yeah, I know. Here, soon, you won't have to call me kid. It'll be Oscar."

    He laughed. "Maybe. But you'll always be kid to me." He kissed my ear. "Don't leave without another mutant again, please."

     "I won't. I should've brought you today."

     "At least there wasn't any danger."

     I nodded. "Yeah."

     "Goodnight, kid." He let go of me and headed out.

     "Wait."

     "What?" He turned.

     Nervously, I walked up to him and kissed his lips. "Goodnight," I murmured.

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerΓ  anche

98K 2.3K 41
Anna Wesley always wondered what it would be like to have powers, but people should be careful what they wish for because it just might come true. As...
264 35 35
When a teen ran away from the orphanage that had taken care of her for years, she stumbled upon a poor man who took her in. From there on, she has li...
92.9K 2.9K 41
Ziva Ner is a mutant trying to live her life under the radar but her simple life is ruined when she's hauled off to Xavier's School for Gifted Childr...
115K 4.6K 54
𝐀𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐑 Andromeda is far too alien for Earth. When she is merely a kid, she falls from a sky full of stars and appears as an abnormal reading on S...