Watchers

由 maeorwell

On America's favorite TV show, the only prize is getting out alive. Daniel is an affluent Senator's son who... 更多

Live Stream #271 - So you people want Sasha and Daniel's backstory?
Chapter 1: A Troubled Night at the Kia Motel
Chapter 2: Incoming
Chapter 3: The Haven of Salvation welcomes all!
Chapter 4: God was the original surveillance camera
Chapter 5: Daniel and the Lion
Chapter 6: One of the Few
Chapter 7: Blessings All Around
Live Stream #272: Born in Blood
Chapter 8: Everyone Loves a Good Origin Story
Chapter 9: Hot Garbage
Chapter 10: The best thing we can do is go on with our daily routine.
Chapter 11: That Hideous Stench
Chapter 12: Civil Blood Makes Civil Hands Unclean
Chapter 13: Never Overstay Your Welcome
Chapter 14: Really, Edna? Again?
Live Stream #273: Uncle Elvis's Elimination Game Conspiracy Hour
Chapter 15: A New Hope
Chapter 16: The Descent
Chapter 17: Meet and Greet at the Elimination Game House
Chapter 18: What is this place?
Chapter 19: Do Not Touch The Wall
Chapter 20: A Special Night
Chapter 21: The Elimination Room
Chapter 22: Dinner in the Elimination Room
Chapter 23: Daniel's Secret
Chapter 24: A Taste for Blood
Live Stream #278: Melody and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Man
Chapter 25: You Got a Pretty Mouth, Boy
Chapter 26: Fallout
Chapter 27: I love the smell of anarchy in the morning
Chapter 28: A Tale of Two Needles
Chapter 29: Doors and Windows into the Soul
Chapter 30: We're on a mission from god.
Chapter 31: Join the Club
Chapter 32: A Choice
Chapter 33: Technical Difficulties
Live Stream #281: Elvis in Absentia
Chapter 34: The Great Escape
Chapter 36: It's your lucky day
Live Stream #282: It's a beautiful day for a clip show
Chapter 37: Freeze, Police!
Chapter 38: Do Not Run
Chapter 39: Oliver's Tale
Chapter 40: Until the morning light
Chapter 41: Haven Redux
Chapter 42: Revelations
Chapter 43: Father Gary's Kool-Aid
Live Stream #283: Truth is Like the Sun
Chapter 44: The Secret Garden
Chapter 45: Hot Pursuit
Chapter 46: Move On Down The Road
Live Stream #284: There Are Worse Things I Could Do
Author's Note

Chapter 35: Will the real Slim Shady please stand up?

1.3K 172 23
由 maeorwell

"Come with us," Sasha says. "We're getting out of here tonight."

"I'm already thirteen weeks in," Francie says. "That's a quarter of the way to winning."

"You could also lose your life on any given week in this nightmare house," Sasha pleads. "You said it yourself - the only prize is getting out alive."

Francie looks conflicted, and Daniel pushes her out of the way so he and Sasha can step into the hallway, saying, "Come with us or stay here - it's up to you, but keep out of the way."

He pulls Sasha toward the stairs and Francie follows them. Daniel has no idea what to expect but he knows they won't have much time once whatever it is happens - there might be people watching the cameras inside the house and finding entertainment in watching them escape, but there won't be any cameras except those belonging to the Watchers on the outside, and probably The Elimination Game's own security team waiting for them.

They march quickly through the living room and Daniel is just rounding the kitchen island, aiming for the knife block on the counter, when he trips over something soft.

He pitches forward and nearly cracks his head against the counter, but catches himself just in time and looks down.

"Erica?"

She's sitting on the floor with a knife of her own, turning the blade so that it catches the low, artificial moonlight from the windows. She doesn't react to having been tripped over, even though Daniel kicked her thigh pretty hard.

Sasha comes around the island and drops to her knees, asking, "Are you okay?"

It's a terrible question - how could she be? - but Sasha's trying to soothe her, putting her hand on Erica's shoulder and talking softly to her.

"We're going to get out of here," she says when Erica remains mute. "Right now. Do you want to come with us?"

Erica just looks at her blankly. She's halfway to catatonic and Daniel's pulse is racing. They don't have time to comfort Erica right now.

"We have to go," he urges, taking the longest, sturdiest knife from the block and nodding toward the Elimination Room door.

"You think the way out is through there?" Francie asks.

"It has to be," Daniel says. "It's where the losing contestants-"

It was a dumb thing to say and it sets Erica wailing again the way she did all evening, but Daniel doesn't have time to pick his words carefully right now.

"I'm sorry," he says. "Look, we need to keep moving or we're going to give whoever's on the other side of the door too much warning."

"We can't leave her like this," Sasha says. She's trying to take away Erica's knife, but the sobbing girl won't allow it and the careless way she yanks it away from Sasha makes Daniel nervous.

"We need to leave," Daniel insists. In desperation, he hauls Erica to her feet. The knife drops to the floor and he feels a little bit of relief, but this is going to be a much harder task if they have to drag Erica out of the house like dead weight.

Behind him, Francie says, "That's exactly what got you here in the first place - Sasha's bleeding heart."

The words send a chill down Daniel's spine. He turns around, letting Sasha handle Erica while he squints at Francie in the dark. "How do you know that?"

"If she hadn't been trying to save you, she probably would have escaped the Haven," Francie says. "History repeats itself."

"Oh god," Sasha says. "You're the spy."

"You can't leave," Francie says, her voice going cold, and then she lunges at them.

Daniel grabs Sasha's hand and pulls her and Erica around the other side of the island, running through the living room as fast as the three of them can go. He grabs the Elimination Room doorknob and prays that his cotton batting trick will work a second time. Francie is closing in on them.

Daniel pulls and the door opens. The lights come on in the Elimination Room, glaringly fluorescent. He tries to push Sasha into the room first, but Francie takes Erica's other hand and they're caught in a human tug-of-war.

Erica is crying and Sasha's pleading with Francie to just let her go. When someone finally gives, it's Erica. She slips out of Sasha's grip and slumps to the floor at Francie's feet. Daniel doesn't have time to think - he just slams the door shut.

"No!" Sasha shouts, but the door latches and for better or worse, they're trapped.

Francie's frantically trying the knob on her side, calling through the door, "Don't do it. You won't like what you find out there."

"We lost Erica," Sasha says to Daniel. "We've got so much blood on our hands."

Her face screws up in agony and tears begin to stream down her cheeks.

"We did everything we could," Daniel says, but even he doesn't believe it.

One thing's for sure - there's no going back now. Only forward.

繼續閱讀

You'll Also Like

695 165 16
When aliens arrive on Earth and make a game out of human lives, Nina uses the quests to escape her disease, becoming the warrior the aliens desire. ...
70.1K 2.4K 25
Haunted by memories, a thief reluctantly leads a group of survivors to escape a city filled with horrors. But the journey isn't easy. Desperate stran...
26.5K 2.3K 40
***2019 Watty Award Winner - Science Fiction*** Charlie has always been the one left behind. It isn't because there's something special about him; in...
49.2K 2.1K 40
Wattys Shortlist 2022 - When she isn't looking, they call her the Princess of the Ghouls, but they haven't seen the assassination order on her secret...