Take Back the Light

Door CyanSparks

Things have changed in the five years that have passed since Will Shane's disappearance. Without their protec... Meer

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50

Chapter 7

1.2K 33 251
Door CyanSparks

With every step Midnight took toward the east, Alana felt like she was heading toward something to be avoided.

The gang had gotten a distress call just after lunch, from a small caravan out in the middle of nowhere. The signal had been a crackly recording of explosions in the distance and a worried man begging for help to protect some sort of shipment. Then there was a gasp, one final explosion, and silence.

As the five of them sped through the caverns, Alana couldn't help but feel that there was more they were heading toward then just some of Blakk's lackeys causing trouble. Her nerves had been all over the place since Deadweed, and she felt like time had slowed down, because she was noticing things more. She seemed to be aware of every slug in the hideout, and the feelings only got more complicated when she rode around the jungle, knowing where every single wild slug was without seeing them.

"How are you feeling?" Eli asked Alana for the third time that day as they rounded a corner and began riding their Mechas down a rocky slope.

Alana sighed. The gang's trip to Deadweed had been two days ago, and ever since she had lost consciousness when the dark water had swelled up, Eli had been worrying about her wellbeing way more than Alana did.

"I'm fine," she insisted. "I already told you, I was just tired already from the burning building and the trek through Deadweed, and dark water doing weird stuff just set me over the edge."

"You were pretty pale when you went down," Trixie added from behind Alana, who rolled her eyes.

"I'm not pale now, though," she stressed. "I feel way better now."

"I just wanna be sure. With how powerful these ghouls are, I don't want you just passing out in the middle of a fight," Eli said.

"Believe me, I'm not gonna miss the chance to take down some ghouls," Alana laughed. "I really am fine. And if I'm not, I'll let you know right away. And besides-" Alana stopped as a firework suddenly shot up from the bottom of the rock slope, "I think we're about to have bigger things to worry about."

Eli nodded and pulled his Mecha to a halt, the others stopping behind him. Over the edge of the slope, Alana could see a large clearing with areas of smoking grass. A pile of Mechas and a tipped-over cart hid a few slingers, cowering in fear as two Mechas approached them. Each Mecha held a large man- the twins Locke and Lode, some of Blakk's hired muscle. Alana frowned when she saw the ghouls in their blasters and bandoleers.

As the fireworks in the sky faded, Eli fired a Frostcrawler at the twins. They dodged out of the way just in time to avoid the slug, looking around wildly to try and find its slinger.

"Where'd that come from?" Locke gasped.

"The Shane Gang!" Lode called, pointing up the the slingers on the cliffside. Eli smirked at the twins' surprise.

"Good, you remember us!" Eli exclaimed, loading his blaster with a Hop Rock. "Then I bet you can guess what happens next!"

He fired the Hop Rock, and the gang all took their cue to charge down the slope. Kord fired a Rammstone that knocked away a ghouled Hop Rock from Locke, and Alana followed Kord's shot quickly with an Armashelt that knocked Locke off his Mecha.

Lode came to a stop and jumped off his Mecha to stand alongside Locke. The two fired ghouls- a Terrarix that dug into the ground and a Hop Jack that followed after it. The ground rose and dirt flew up as the ghouls sped right under the gang's Mechas. Before any of them could move, the Hop Jack exploded, throwing the Shane Gang into the air.

Alana slammed into the ground and rolled over to her back, readjusting the shoulder pad on her bandoleer as she tried to regain her bearings.

"See that, Lode?" Locke laughed as the twins jumped back onto their Mechas. "The Shane Gang's no match for what we got!"

"You got that right. They blowed up good!" Lode laughed.

"Real good," Locke smirked.

Alana and Eli both sat up at the same time. Alana glanced over at Ash, who had landed on the ground next to her, then to Burpy, sitting in front of Eli. Eli grinned and nodded. The two loaded their Infurnus slugs and fired.

Ash and Burpy transformed and flew in a swirl around each other as they headed for the twins. They broke away and each spiraled around Locke and Lode, surrounding them in a circle of flames only inches away from their faces.

"They're on their heels!" Eli called to the three slingers who sent the distress call as the Infurnus slugs flew back to their slingers. "Now's your chance to push them over!"

The slingers all nodded, raising up from behind their cover and firing at Locke and Lode. The Shane Gang got to their feet and added to the fire, and Alana smirked as Locke shook his head.

"I suggest an honorable retreat!" he called out as a Rammstone flew just over his head.

"No, run away!" Lode yelled. Locke scowled and fired a ghoul into the ground, sending up a cloud of dirt and smoke. When it settled, the twins were gone.

Alana headed over to the tipped over cart, where several slug carriers had tipped over. Dozens of Fandago slugs hopped around, and Alana could practically feel all their slug energy.

"That's a lot of Fandago slugs," she noted as a few hopped into her hand. She rubbed their heads affectionately. "What do you need them for?"

"I know they're full of slug energy, but aren't they pretty useless in a fight?" Kord asked.

One of the slingers stood up, holding a few of the red and teal slugs in his hands.

"That slug energy is precisely why we need them. They aren't for dueling. We're taking them to Bullseye Cavern," he explained. "Something is forcing the native slugs to abandon the place, turning it into a dead zone. We need an infusion of Fandango energy to attract the native slugs back."

"Ooh," Trixie said, rebalancing a tipped-over slug carrier. "So you're hoping the Fandangos will jumpstart the cavern and bring it back to life!"

The slinger nodded. "Every time we try to deliver the slugs, those two stop us."

"Locke and Lode," Eli scowled. "They work for Doctor Blakk."

The man sighed and nodded. "They've blown up nearly every path in and out of Bullseye from the west, and now our Mechas are trashed. We'll never get them to Bullseye in time."

"We'll take them for you," Eli replied without a second's hesitation.

"We will?!" Pronto exclaimed. Alana frowned and nudged him with her elbow. "Oh- ah- I mean, we will!"

The slinger smiled. "So, it's true," he said. "You really are Will Shane's kid. Well, we need a Shane right now." He glanced over to where the other two slingers were loading the Fandagos into the cart. "Bullseye doesn't get these slugs by the end of the day, and we'll lose it for good."

"No pressure," Eli laughed.

"You're a good kid, Eli Shane," the slinger said with a smile.

"Thanks. Okay," Eli said, turning to the gang. "Let's load 'em up."

While Alana and Trixie finished loading up the Fandango slugs, Kord and Pronto hooked up the cart to Pronto's mule Mecha. Eli got a digital copy of all the routes the three slingers had already tried to map out another alternate route to Bullseye.

"I can't believe Blakk would do this," Alana said quietly. She shut the cart door after Trixie lifted the last slugs inside. "I know he's a horrible person who does horrible things. But letting Bullseye just fade away like this..."

"I know," Trixie said as the two walked back to their Mechas. "It's just... yeah." She paused, then pulled out her video camera. "But if it's happening, I'm gonna make sure the whole Slugnet hears about it."

Alana smiled and nodded, glancing over at Eli before jumping up on Midnight. He said his farewells to the slingers and jumped back on top of Lucky.

"Let's move out," he called. The gang all started up their Mechas and began the long trek to Bullseye.

~~~~~~~~

"Okay, break it down for me," Eli said. "The caverns run on slug energy?"

The gang was now riding through a dark, unpopulated cavern. Navy blue and magenta stone walls and pillars rose up around them, and bioluminescent blue and pink mushrooms and vines hung from the ceiling and sprouted from the dirt.

Alana frowned, glancing worriedly from Eli. She was riding to his right, Trixie to his left, and then Kord and Pronto behind them. Eli was walking in dangerous waters- his lack of knowledge about how Slugterra worked was going to draw the others' suspicion if he kept asking such elementary questions.

"Didn't you learn this in school like the rest of us?" Trixie asked curiously.

Eli's face flushed, and he scratched the back of his head. "Uh... must've been home sick that day," he improvised. Trixie didn't look fully convinced.

"Right," she said. She paused, then seemed to think that pushing the subject wasn't worth it. "Well, the energy that makes all life possible here is strongest in the slugs. Wherever they are, things live. Wherever they aren't..."

"Got it. Dead zone," he said. Then he sighed and shook his head. "I just don't get why Blakk would want to let that happen to an entire cavern."

"That makes two of-" Alana began, but was cut off when a deep rumble suddenly spread through the cavern. The gang all stopped their Mechas as a huge stalactite suddenly dropped in front of them. The echo of the crash reverberated throughout the cavern, and a huge dust cloud formed.

"Ahh!" Pronto shrieked, pointing up to a ledge. Alana followed his gaze and scowled as she saw Locke and Lode. The two fired Hop Jacks at more stalactites around the gang, sending them toppling to the ground.

"They're trying to box us in!" Eli called, turning around. "Pronto, lead us back out!"

Before Pronto could even move, one of the ghouls crashed into a stalactite just behind the gang, blocking off the path they had come from.

"It seems they have accomplished their diabolical goal!" Pronto cried out.

"There's an opening!" Alana suddenly yelled, gesturing to a broken stalactite in front of them. A narrow passage, barely ten feet across, stood in the rubble.

"Let's go, that's our only chance!" Eli yelled. The gang all floored the gas on their Mechas, speeding forward.

Alana swerved Midnight left and right as more crumbling rocks fell from the cavern's ceiling. The passageway led to a small opening in the cavern wall. Eli led the gang through it just as another ghoul knocked down a pillar of stone. Just as Kord brought up the rear and dove into the tunnel, the pillar collapsed, covering up the exit. Panting as she slowed Midnight down, Alana sighed and glanced at Ash and Mage, who were still perched on her shoulders, but they looked pretty shaken.

"Well, that was fun," Kord groaned. "And by fun, I mean ow, my head!"

"We're alive!" Eli reminded as he jumped off Lucky and stretched. "That's good. Pronto, where are we?"

"Ah, let me see..." Pronto mumbled as he grabbed his map from his pocket. "Hm... ah," he said, leaning over from his Mecha's saddle and grabbing Burpy off Eli's shoulder. The Infurnus squeaked and set himself ablaze. Pronto shrieked and spread his hand out more to give Burpy more space. Now that he could see, he peered at the map. "We... are completely cut off from our destination."

Everyone sighed and their shoulders drooped.

"Eh, would you like me to be more specific?" Pronto offered.

"Is there another path?" Trixie asked.

"Nope!"

"Secret tunnel?" Alana suggested.

"Nope."

"Anything?" Eli asked. Pronto paused.

"Well," he began, then stopped himself. "No."

But it was too late- the damage was done. Eli smirked.

"I heard a well," he said. "What is it, Pronto?"

"Well, maybe there is a route we could take," Pronto said nervously. "But we would be foolish to do so!"

"Usually when you say things like that, it ends up being fun," Eli protested.

"Oh no no no!" Pronto exclaimed. "Not this time. The only other way to Bullseye is a path fraught with peril! It's dark, long, twisting, and it cuts right through the territory of the Shadow Clan!"

Eli smiled and glanced at Alana, Kord, and Trixie. "Guys?"

Alana grinned and nodded, Kord and Trixie doing the same.

The Dark Periphery had never frightened Alana as much as it did so many other Slugterrans. She'd found herself in tough scrapes rushing through the edges of the territory and had never had a confrontation with the dark creatures there. Other than glimpses of the Shadow Clan out of the corner of her eye, they left her mostly alone. Will had never shown any fear when talking about them, so it seemed silly to her that she had any reason to be afraid.

"No, no, no- you're not actually considering-?" Pronto stammered, looking at Kord, Trixie, and Alana, then turning back to Eli, who nodded. "Ah! You are!" Pronto groaned, sliding down in his seat.

Before Pronto could think too much about the excursion and try to flee, the gang quickly began riding through the small tunnel. It eventually opened up and the gang looked around in wonder as they entered Shadow Clan territory.

The cavern was enormous and there was a light fog. There was a slight chill to the air, and what little light there was came from eerie blue and green mushrooms. The mushroom-trees had moss draped on the branches.

"The Dark Periphery," Kord mumbled, looking around in awe. "Home of the Shadow Clan."

"This is the opportunity of a lifetime," Trixie noted, recording through her video camera. "I mean, no one has ever managed to capture the Shadow Clan on film. At least, no one who managed to live."

"Way to think positive," Alana chuckled.

"Man, Pronto. I've never seen you so quiet," Eli noted, glancing back at Pronto. The molenoid was sitting in his Mecha's saddle looking like he was seriously contemplating his life choices.

"Pronto is not quiet. Pronto is... speechless!" Pronto exclaimed. The most evil things in all of Slugterra, and we're strolling through their backyard!"

"I've seen them before, remember?" Eli reminded. "Sure, they're scary, but they can't be that bad. Maybe they're just misunderstood."

"What?!" Pronto hissed.

"You said it yourself, we're just skirting through the edge of their territory. They probably won't even know we're here," Eli said breezily.

Pronto suddenly slowed his Mecha down, straightening up in his saddle and sniffing the air.

"Ah, I hear something," he said quietly. "Everyone, against the rock!" he exclaimed, steering his Mecha and the Fandango cart over so it was pressed up against a stone wall rising on the right side of the path.

Alana, Kord, and Pronto all nodded and swerved their Mechas over against the wall. Alana wasn't terrified of the Shadow Clan, but she did know that she didn't want a confrontation. Not when she was feeling so weird lately with the dark water in Deadweed and the impending doom of Bullseye- she was getting far too distracted, and she knew her slinging would start paying the price.

"Is this really necessary?" Eli asked, exasperated.

"Sh!" Trixie hissed, pointing up. Alana followed her gaze and tensed up as she saw two Shadow Clan walking on the ceiling of the cavern. There movements were deliberate, but rapid, moving almost like bugs. They were far away, but Alana could faintly hear hissing and clicking.

"Okay, yes it is," Eli whispered, backing up Lucky so that he was against the rock wall.

For a moment, the gang stayed silent, barely daring to breath. There were quiet hisses that sounded through the Dark Periphery.

"Nobody move," Pronto breathed, his voice barely perceptible. "The Shadow Clan have excellent vision, a keen sense of smell, and a penchant for scaring molenoids to their early deaths," he added, trembling.

Trixie leaned forward in her Mecha, looking out over the edge of the rock wall. "I don't see them," she said, looking around the dark cavern.

"We're lucky. Let's count our blessings and turn back," Pronto suggested with a nervous laugh.

Alana sighed and shook her head. "We can't turn back. Bullseye needs these slugs," she argued.

"Ugh, fine," Pronto groaned, starting up his Mecha. The rest followed suit. "The sooner we get there, the sooner we take leave of this wretched place."

The gang continued riding again, at a considerably faster place. They were going as quickly as they dared, careful not to push the cart too hard. It had sustained damaged from Locke and Lode's attacks, and any more action might make it fall apart.

"My dad used to tell me about the Shadow Clan," Eli remarked. A frown tugged at Alana's lips, but she didn't want to look unhappy if Eli was fine talking about Will. "How they can talk to slugs and how they've been here forever."

Alana suddenly paused as she heard more hissing in the distance.

"What was that?" she whispered. Trixie looked up and her green eyes widened.

"Uh, guys, I don't wanna freak you out, but there's something moving behind us," she said.

"Ugh," Eli groaned, looking up. Sure enough, a few Shadow Clan were walking around on the cavern ceiling again. "I thought we lost them."

"I know several molenoid tracking tricks that should confuse them!" Pronto reassured. "Hmm. Dry rock, no tracks for them to follow," he remarked, looking down at the path they traveled on. He then licked one of his fingers and held it up (a tactic that Alana would think to be rendered useless given that he was wearing gloves, but she didn't question it). "And we are downwind, so no scent for them to pick up. Follow my lead!" he said, speeding up his Mecha so he was in front of the group. "How fortunate you are to be in the presence of the most skilled tracker in Slugterra!"

Alana and Trixie both rolled their eyes as they continued down the dark, winding path. Every once in a while, Alana would feel like something was watching her, but every time she turned around, there was nothing.

But one of the times, Eli must have gotten the same feeling, too. He and Alana turned around simultaneously and spotted more Shadow Clan slinking around the path a few dozen yards behind the gang.

"Guys, we gotta step on it," Eli said worriedly.

"Wha- preposterous!" Pronto exclaimed, looking over his shoulder and watching as the Shadow Clan began making their way closer to the gang. "Time for another incredible molenoid skill: ESCAPE!"

Pronto sped his Mecha forward, tearing down a side path. The gang rode behind him, Trixie and Alana flanking the cart to make sure it stayed together and hooked up to Pronto's Mecha beast. Kord glanced back behind the gang and watched as the Shadow Clan began running after them.

"We got two on our six!" Kord yelled.

Pronto scowled and took a sharp turn to the right. His Mecha leapt off the edge of the path, falling ten feet before landing. The rest of the gang followed his lead, diving off the path and steadying their Mechas as quickly as possible, falling silent.

The two Shadow Clan sprinted down the path, completely missing the gang and continuing down farther into the Dark Periphery.

"Haha! You see! My evasive maneuvers were a grand success. Praise for Pronto can wait until we get to Bullseye," Pronto added as he got settled into his Mecha's seat. "If I ever see another Shadow Clan again, it will be too soon."

Trixie rolled her eyes and then looked around at the small ledge they had escaped to. The path they had jumped off rose to their right, and another small stone wall rose to their left. She walked over to the small stone wall and froze.

"There's more of them," she whispered, waving the gang over.

Alana ran over and peered over the stone wall. Dozens of Shadow Clan were entering a clearing below them, hissing and clicking.

"We should get a closer look," Eli decided. Pronto gasped and shook his head.

"Are you kidding?" he hissed. Then he groaned when Eli shook his head. "Agh! You're not kidding! You know what, you should kid more."

Alana laughed quietly and followed Eli down the stone wall. She watched the clearing intently. A taller Shadow Clan, with an intricate metallic black and green headdress, was standing on a raised ledge. The others were gathering up beneath him. He let out a mighty roar that Alana could almost feel in her bones. All around the clearing, more Shadow Clan appeared out of thin air. Black and green sparks flew where they appeared.

"Okay, you got your closer look," Kord said as Trixie filmed the creatures. "Now let's scram."

"Look, all the paths ahead are too exposed," Eli said, pointing to where the path in front of them led into the clearing. "If we go now, we're gonna get seen by all of them down there. We need some kind of distraction."

Alana stayed silent as she watched the Shadow Clan, transfixed. The large one on the ledge, who Alana assumed was the chief, raised his tail and released two slugs into his hands- a Rammstone and a Dirt Urchin.

"I don't like the looks of this," Kord mumbled.

"Right there with you," Eli replied quietly.

The chief looked at the slugs in his hands, then began to hiss again. The green markings on his body began to glow, then the slugs in his hands. The other Shadow Clan followed him, all holding up different combinations of slugs. Their green markings and eyes lit up, then the slugs, and they all were hissing. Alana's eyes widened as she felt a rush of- something- in the clearing. It was like she knew there were waves of water sweeping through the members of the Shadow Clan, but it wasn't water. She couldn't think of the words to describe it to Eli, and didn't realize that he must not feel it until he stood up, unfazed.

"They're distracted! Now's our chance!" he said. The gang all sprinted for their Mechas and quickly began walking down the path. Alana brought up the rear behind the cart, keeping her gaze on the Shadow Clan.

She jumped when suddenly the Fandangos began chirping loudly. She gasped as they began glowing green in the same way the slugs held by the Shadow Clan were.

"What? Sh, you miserable creatures! You'll give us away!" Pronto exclaimed. The slugs ignored him, glowing brightly and refusing to stay silent. The green glow was making them stick out like a Frostcrawler in the Magma Caverns.

"Guys, what's gotten into you?" Eli asked, looking in the front of the cart.

Alana stayed silent. She wanted to tell Eli that she didn't think the slugs could help it, but she couldn't find her voice. Her grip on Midnight's handlebars tightened, and her head felt fuzzy.

"Alana?!" Trixie suddenly cried out. "What's wrong?!"

Alana found herself unable to answer, but she knew what Trixie was seeing- she could feel it. Her eyes were glowing white, just like the slugs, and the blue streaks in her hair were glowing pale green. Just like the slugs.

The added light from Alana finally caught the attention of the Shadow Clan. The chief lowered his slugs and roared in the gang's direction.

"RUN!" Eli yelled, speeding forward. Alana gasped and shook her head, her senses coming back to her. She slammed on Midnight's gas and shot forward with the others, racing through the dark jungle.

She blinked rapidly as the white faded from her eyes, and she felt the cool shadow energy fade from her hair.

What in the Deep Caverns just happened?!

The Shadow Clan from the clearing were now in pursuit of the gang. With their concentration fading, the Fandango slugs returned to their normal non-glowing state, but the damage was already done. The Shadow Clan, using their long tails, fired Hop Rocks and Armashelts at the path around the gang.

"Pronto, Trixie, Alana! You three keep going with the slugs. Kord and I will try to buy some time!" Eli called.

Alana and Trixie nodded, flanking the cart. The trio sped up as fast as their Mechas could while still staying standing on the winding paths.

"Never mind!" Alana heard Eli call only seconds later. She turned to see him and Kord quickly catching up to the three. "They just shadow travel past every obstacle!"

The gang entered a narrow tunnel, a Hop Rock from the Shadow Clan weaving between their Mechas before detonating. Alana gasped as Midnight was thrown into one of the walls of the tunnel. The Mecha stalled for a moment, allowing one of the Shadow Clan to catch up with her. She braced herself as Midnight unsteadily got to her feet, but the Shadow Clan stopped in front of her. It hissed at her like it was asking a question, but Alana didn't stick around long enough to provide an answer. She rode Midnight forward so she was even with Eli, who fired a Lavalynx down the tunnel.

The slug transformed and flew just above the ground, creating a trail of bubbling lava on the black stone. The Shadow Clan didn't miss a beat- they simply jumped up onto the walls and ceiling and continued their pursuit.

The gang reached the end of the tunnel, but had to immediately slam on their Mecha beasts' brakes. Dozens more Shadow Clan surrounded the tunnel's exit, and more remained in the tunnel. They were completely blocked off.

"Bah! They will never take me alive!" Pronto exclaimed. "If this is to be my last fight, Pronto will go out in a blaze of-" Pronto stopped as Eli sighed and raised his hands. "Surrender?"

"Look on the bright side, no one's ever been this close to the Shadow Clan," Eli said, watching nervously as a Shadow Clan seemed to inspect him. The creature nodded and gestured forward on to the cart, and Eli relaxed and started up Lucky.

The Shadow Clan led the gang farther down the path, looking at the humans, cave troll, and molenoid cautiously. Three walked on either side of Alana, looking at her curiously, like she was something entirely new.

Alana glanced at Trixie, who was trying to subtly film the dark creatures that walked by them. One of the Shadow Clan got suspicious and leaned up to the camera, inspecting it warily.

"Just checking the lens cap," Trixie said nervously. The Shadow Clan watched her for a second longer, then turned away. Trixie sighed with relief and glanced back at Alana. She looked around at her friend's large following and tilted her head questioningly.

Alana just shrugged. She wasn't sure why they seemed so interested in her, or why she had been affected by their ritual for a few moments.

The gang came to a stop, and Alana shrunk in her seat a little when she looked up and saw the Shadow Clan chief standing in front of Eli.

"We're sorry we had to cross through your territory, but we have a good reason," Eli explained, his gaze flickering around to the Shadow Clan around him.

"If we don't get these slugs to Bullseye Cavern, then the cavern will go dark. It'll die," Trixie stressed as the chief walked past her to get to the cart. Pronto stayed silent, visibly shaking as the chief walked by him.

The chief walked between Alana and the cart, growling as he opened the back of the cart and peered in at the Fandangos.

"Hey! Those aren't yours," Eli protested jumping off his Mecha beast and running over to the Shadow Clan chief. "Do you understand me at all? Bullseye Cavern needs these slugs."

The Shadow Clan chief regarded him, looking unfazed. Then he leaned forward and roared right in Eli's face, blowing the Shane's black hair straight back. Burpy growled from Eli's bandoleer and hopped up to his slinger's shoulder. From there, he jumped up on top of a small stone pillar that jutted up from the ground.

Lighting himself ablaze, Burpy began barking and squeaking like Alana had never heard him before. He chirped looking straight at the chief, looking furious. After a serious of barks and growls he deemed sufficient, Burpy jumped down from the pillar onto the ground. The Shadow Clan around him backed away nervously, and the chief bowed his head in thought. Then, with a reluctant growl, he stepped away from Eli and pointed down the path. The Shadow Clan surrounding the gang backed away.

"I think they're letting us go," Kord said.

"Lucky for them!" Pronto noted.

Eli turned to the Shadow Clan, pressing his hands together. "Thank you."

He walked back to his Mecha, and Alana started up Midnight again. But before she could even take a step, the Shadow Clan chief suddenly looked down at her, as if he just noticed she was there. He frowned and whipped his tail out in front of Alana, holding her back.

"What...?" Eli said, turning back to the chief.

The chief shook his head and growled. Ash, from Alana's right shoulder, took his cue to defend his slinger. He growled and barked at the chief, who hissed back at him. The conversation seemed to last a few moments before Ash sighed and nodded.

The chief didn't back away.

"I-I can't go?" Alana stammered, at a loss for words. The chief shook his head.

"Why not?" Eli asked angrily. The Shadow Clan chief simply shook his head once more. Alana scowled and rolled her eyes.

"Eli, you need to go. I'll turn back and meet you guys on your way back from Bullseye," she said reluctantly. Eli began to protest, but she cut him off. "There's no time. Bullseye needs that shipment. Go. I'll be fine."

Eli held his ground, looking worriedly at the Shadow Clan chief, then back at Alana.

"Go," she repeated. Eli sighed and nodded.

"Fine. We'll meet up with you after Bullseye," he relented.

The gang quickly regrouped and got back to riding through the Dark Periphery, hurrying to get to Bullseye. Alana sat on Midnight, watching her friends until they disappeared from her sight. Once they were, the Shadow Clan chief lowered his tail and leaned down to Alana's level, staring at her intently.

"I'll just be going," Alana tried, turning to steer Midnight back through the Dark Periphery. But the chief leapt in front of her, cutting her off. He shook his head and hissed. Then he reached his tail and tapped the ground. He wanted her to get off her Mecha.

Alana was tempted to deny, but she knew she was at the Shadow Clan's mercy. She reluctantly jumped off Midnight and walked up to the chief, ignoring how he towered above her.

"What do you want from me?" she asked. "Why did you keep me here?"

The chief reached out with his right hand, and Alana instinctively backed away, her hand wrapping around her blaster handle. But Ash chirped and shook his head. Then he looked at the chief and nodded.

The Shadow Clan reached out again, and Alana stayed unmoving, even though every muscle in her body wanted to back away from the creature that towered over her. The chief rested his hand on Alana's right temple, and she gasped as green light suddenly filled her vision. Energy sparked through her whole body, surging like a tidal wave before fading away. She gasped and stumbled backwards, out of the chief's grasp.

"Wha- what was that?" Alana asked, rubbing her head where he touched it.

"I created a small, temporary bond between our shadow energy and your own," the chief said.

Said.

As in, talked.

To Alana.

And she could understand.

She yelled and took a few more steps back, unclipping her blaster from its holster.

"Did you just talk? To me?!" she cried out.

"Remain calm," the chief said, sounding slightly irritated. "The bond allows us to speak. Now that you have made your way to the Dark Periphery once more, and after being exposed to dark energy, we must have this discussion."

"Do you realize how crazy this is?!" Alana exclaimed. Then she paused. "Wait- again? I mean, I've been to the outskirts of the cavern before, but I've never really been truly in the Dark Periphery like this before."

The Shadow Clan seemed thrown off guard, glancing at Ash. Then he nodded.

"My apologies. I was mistaken. But nonetheless, we still must speak."

Alana swallowed down the feelings of panic that were surging through her. She couldn't process what was going on.

"Speak about what?" she asked, trying to keep her voice from shaking.

"Your wellbeing now that there is so much energy being corrupted in Slugterra," the chief responded gravely.

"What? Why would that affect me?" Alana asked. But something in her gut made her feel like she knew there was a reason.

"Your energy is very unique, Alana," the chief began.

Chills ran up Alana's spin- she hadn't told him her name.

"There is a light energy that courses through every living being in Slugterra. Everyone has a small connection to this energy. Everyone except for you. Your bond with Slugterra's energy is much deeper and stronger. You are the only being in the 99 Caverns that has this powerful connection with Slugterra's light energy."

"There's no way that's possible," Alana protested, although a quiet thought rose in the back of her head.

Isn't it, though?

What the chief was sating didn't seem impossible. It didn't seem like he was making it up. Now, instead of to run away, every muscle in Alana's body was telling her to stay and listen.

"Wouldn't I have realized if I had a bond with Slugterra's energy?" she asked. The chief shook his head.

"Perhaps not. You have always had it, therefore it seems normal to you. You have always been attracted to the slugs. You know where they are and how to connect with them," he stated. "And with the recent corrupted slugs invading the magic of the caverns, you have experienced the detrimental effects of dark energy."

Memories of the headaches Alana had gotten when around ghouls resurfaced.

"I passed out when the dark water sprayed out in Deadweed," she whispered. "I- I..." Alana couldn't find the right words to say. "I have blue in my hair that I thought was weirdly natural. I know where slugs are because I thought it was just instinct. I... how did this happen?"

The Shadow Clan chief looked at Ash nervously.

"It is unsure to say now. I believe you were born with the connection."

Alana ran a hand through her bangs. Her heart was beating so loud she was sure the gang could hear it back in Bullseye.

"I am sorry for the large reveal," the chief said sincerely. "It is much for such a young human to understand."

"How do you know my energy is stronger? And why did you think I've been here before?" Alana asked.

"The Shadow Clan has a connection with the energy of Slugterra. We are able to sense and connect with it. We see it and how it flows between each thing in Slugterra. Your energy burns brighter than any other being here. Your bond with Slugterra's magic is enormous."

Alana shook her head and walked back up to Midnight, jumping up and starting her Mecha beast.

"I have a gang to meet," she said numbly. What else could she say? "I... um... thank you. For telling me."

The chief was right. She knew it. It felt like he had just let her know her name was Alana. It was obvious, something imbedded in her mind; it had just needed the Shadow Clan confirmation. But where did she go from here? What could she possibly do or say?

"Very well. But heed this warning," the chief said. "This arising dark energy in the caverns is a threat to the way of life in Slugterra. If too much dark energy is introduced to this world, it will be no more. And the same is said for you."

Alana froze, her eyes widening. What?

"If you are exposed to too much of this dark energy, you too will perish."

"What do you mean?" she said nervously.

"As we speak, your acquaintances are traveling to Bullseye Cavern. It is suffering due to the lack of light energy there. You will suffer the same consequences if Slugterra's magic continues to be corrupted."

"A dead zone," Alana breathed. Then she sighed and turned Midnight away from the chief. "Well... I guess... thank you. For telling and warning me."

"You are welcome. I encourage you to visit the Dark Periphery again as your powers develop and strengthen."

Alana turned over her shoulder and nodded. "Will do."

The ride home was unusually silent. Alana wanted to talk to Ash, see if he had always known, and ask why the Shadow Clan had talked to him specifically. But instead, she let her gaze wander around the caverns surrounding her.

She felt it. She'd always felt it, deep down, but it seemed stronger now that she knew what it was.

She felt the little sparks of energy that each slug held, and the deeper energy that surged through the ground beneath her Mecha beast's strides.

And she felt it pool up around her. She was constantly surrounded by light energy, pulsing bright like a beacon.

When she got back to the hideout, the gang hadn't yet returned. Five small letters sat in front of the door, but Alana was too preoccupied to be curious. She picked them up and tossed them on the table as she walked into the hideout. Then she flopped over on the orange bean bag chair and turned to Ash, who was jumped onto the chair and was laying next to her.

"I've got questions for you, buddy," she murmured. "But not right now. I just wanna think."

And think she did.

~~~~~~~~

energy whoop whoop

Guys it feels so much better to have this energy crap planned out instead of just. Thinking of it the day before. How's everyone liking the slightly longer chapters? Minus this A/N we're looking at 6,000 words, a little closer to how The New Shane ended off. It's a lot easier when I'm doing chapters that are mainly episodes.

And something to look forward to (if you liked this part of The New Shane), Take Back the Light's chapter 8 will be very similar to TNS's chapter 8 👀

Anyways vote if you liked and comment if you wanna ✌️

Cyan out!

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

110K 5.2K 59
Alana is torn between two men. Two men who hate each other. Two men who want her. Two men who lie so the other wouldn't have her. Wanting to live...
91 3 1
Marielle Grey has grown up in Slugterra. As the only daughter of Hannah Grey, famed slugslinger and protector Will Shane's second-in-command, Mari ha...
9.2K 215 24
Boboiboy and his friends were fighting Adu du and Probe, when Adu du shoot them with his new weapon. Boboiboy thought they were goners, but it manage...
181 8 4
A rewrite for Slugterra: Ascension Episode 1: Ghoulish Return Episode 2: Blackout Episode 3: Exit Strategy Episode 4: Sparks of Hope