Shining of the Four

By ad_meliora

[Warriors Cats Fanfiction] "As the Moon's shine vanishes and the light burns out, another cat will be lost. F... More

Allegiances
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Author's Note

Chapter 32

381 10 5
By ad_meliora

            "Pst, Lifepaw," came a hushed whisper.

            Lifepaw slowly opened her eyes, bright sunlight flooding over her. The entire apprentice den was warmed by the gentle glow of sun, and she yawned, focusing now on Goosepaw.

            "What?" she murmured, half-awake.

            "Everyone's up. Remember our mentors gave us the day off today? You don't want to sleep through the entire day," Goosepaw explained.

            Lifepaw's eyes shot open and she stood up too suddenly, spots clouding her vision. Once she was able to see again, she grinned, watching as other apprentices went off with their mentors. She was thankful that Tinypelt had given her the day off today after a long day of training the day before. Thankfully, Goosepaw had gotten the day off too after getting a thorn stuck in his paw the day prior.

            Lifepaw's training had only progressed, and she had become skilled in both hunting and fighting. Several cats had remarked how she'd trained just like her mother. If only Lifepaw had known her mother...

            Soon, she would be a warrior. It would only be about two moons. Lifepaw's paws pringled at the very thought of standing on top of the rock with Thornstar, receiving her warrior name.

            "Lifepaw," came Goosepaw's call.

            Lifepaw turned, forgetting he had been standing there.

            "Sorry. Want to share a mouse?" she asked.

            Goosepaw nodded, and together, they padded to the fresh-kill pile, grinning. Picking out the plumpest mouse, Lifepaw sat across from the tom and took a large bite, licking her lips in satisfaction.

            With the new arrival of green-leaf, prey had been plentiful, and the whole clan had been gaining back the lost weight from leaf-bare. Cats were healthy, queens had given birth to new kits, and the whole clan seemed to be in a good mood.

            From the distance, Lifepaw could make out her father going on patrol. Patchfur would often mutter good morning and wish her a nice day when he saw her, but that was it. Meanwhile, Lifepaw would watch as Goosepaw and his siblings went and visited Blueocean often. Lifepaw's heart often sank at this.

            Of course, some days she'd visit Mousestripe, though the she-cat was usually chatting with her mate, Thornstar. She'd try to visit Stormpelt and Graytail too, though Stormnight was preoccupied with caring for his mate and their newly born kits, and Graytail was busy with his newfound mate as well.

            But as Lifepaw gazed at Goosepaw, she knew she had friends, and though her family seemed more important, she knew her friends would not let her down.

            "Is your paw feeling better?" Lifepaw asked Goosepaw.

            He nodded vigourously, finishing off the last bit of the plump mouse. Lifepaw grinned, smiling at Goosepaw.

            Ever since he'd become an apprentice, she had felt different around the tom. She felt closer to him than Ripplepaw and Marshpaw. Of course she still spent time with them, though she often felt she wanted to be alone with Goosepaw.

            Sometimes, when she'd hear of her family members and their mates, she would think of her future, Goosepaw often coming to mind. Perhaps it was only a silly daydream.

            "How's training?" Goosepaw asked.

            "Tinypelt taught me a lot of moves yesterday," Lifepaw explained. "My back legs are incredibly sore today."

            "Thank StarClan she gave you the day off then," he replied, laughing.

            Lifepaw nodded, her smile wide.

            "I haven't talked to Ripplepaw all this week. How's her training going?" Lifepaw asked.

            "Ah, herbs and such," Goosepaw replied. "Boring, pretty much. Hey, you want to go on a walk? I know we get the day off, but it's pretty boring here in camp."

            "Sure," Lifepaw responded, rising and walking with him towards the edge of camp.

            "Hey, Goosepaw!" Pinethorn called as he returned from a patrol.

            "Morning, Dad!" Goosepaw called.

            Lifepaw watched, her heart sinking. Goosepaw turned away from his father, noticing Lifepaw's sorrow.

            "Are you all right?" he asked Lifepaw.

            "Fine," Lifepaw quickly replied. "Maybe there will be some plump rabbits in the woods today ready for us to catch."

            Goosepaw nodded. "I bet I can catch more than you."

            "No, you can't!" Lifepaw shouted.

            "Sure, you may be farther in training, but I guess we'll see who's the better hunter," Goosepaw challenged.

            "Challenge accepted," Lifepaw agreed.

            Her mind off her father, Lifepaw crept with Goosepaw along the woods, her ears pricked for any sign of prey. Suddenly, Goosepaw twitched and crouched down. Before he could pounce, however, Lifepaw stepped on his tail, causing him to fail in his leap.

            A rabbit hopped into its burrow, and Goosepaw moaned in defeat.

            "Hey, who said you could do that?" he asked, shoving Lifepaw.

            Lifepaw laughed, moving her tail away as he tried to hold hers down.

            "Can't catch me!" she shouted, beginning to rush through the woods.

            Goosepaw laughed behind her, chasing after her. Though he was younger than her, he was taller than her and faster, and soon enough, he leapt onto her. Lifepaw gasped, falling into the grass with him and laughing.

            Laying on their backs, the two friends laughed with each other, out of breath.

            "So much for a big challenge, huh?" Lifepaw asked.

            "Yeah," Goosepaw replied.

            They quieted down, listening to the sound of honeybees buzz by. A songbird called up ahead, and the warm rays of the sun warmed Lifepaw's pelt.

            "Pretty day," Lifepaw admitted.

            "Is everything all right?" Goosepaw asked again.

            "Why do you keep asking me that?" Lifepaw demanded, upset.

            Goosepaw, taken aback, stood up. "I-I'm worried about you, that's all.

            "Worried? You shouldn't be. I'm fine," Lifepaw urged, standing up to face him.

            "Come on, Lifepaw. Both you and I know something's up. I see the way you look at your father. You barely speak to him. You don't even talk much about Mousestripe and Stormnight and Graytail anymore."

            "They're busy. They're warriors. They have jobs to do," Lifepaw replied quietly. "They don't need me rushing after them. I'm not a kit anymore."

            "Just because you're not a kit doesn't mean you don't have time to see your family. My siblings and I couldn't be closer, and we visit Blueocean often. Pinethorn we don't talk too as much, but he's still there to support us."

            "Well, I haven't got siblings and my mother's dead," Lifepaw growled, holding back tears.

            Goosepaw fell silent. Lifepaw sensed he was unsure on how to reply.

            "Your mother's in StarClan," Goosepaw replied quietly.

            "So?! She left me, Goosepaw! Right after I was born, she died, knowing she had a young kit to look after! All I hear these days is 'You look so much like your mother' or 'Your mother would be proud' or even 'Shinypelt said or did the exact same thing'. Well, where is Shinypelt? I haven't sensed her presence at all my entire life! All these cats talk about how great she was, and then I see you, and your siblings with Blueocean, and I think 'Why couldn't I have a mother? Why did I only get an ignorant father and cats that barely cared about me?'"

            "Lifepaw, you know that's not true."

            Lifepaw frowned, sitting down. She quietly wept, feeling Goosepaw's tail wrap around her shoulder.

            "I know, I know. I've been avoiding Mousestripe, Stormnight, and Graytail because...I feel like they don't need me anymore."

            "Of course they need you. Patchfur does too. Blueocean told me Patchfur's always been a good warrior. He still loves you. And...your mother. Well, Shinypelt is still here with you. She's in you, Lifepaw. I bet she's watching from StarClan right now," Goosepaw assured her.

            "You think so?" Lifepaw asked.

            Goosepaw nodded. "I bet she never meant to leave you. Serving SnowClan was her decision. I've heard she was a hero in battle. That should make you proud of her."

            "Thanks, Goosepaw," Lifepaw purred, glad to have him at her side.

            "And...your friends are here for you too," Goosepaw spoke. Stammering, he muttered, "And I-I'm here for you...too. You-you think cats don't need you, but I-I do, Lifepaw. I need you. I-I love you, Lifepaw."

            Lifepaw froze, gazing up at Goosepaw. Goosepaw immediately cringed and turned away, embarassed.

            "Uh, forget that last part," he muttered.

            Lifepaw laughed, walking along to the other side of him. Smiling, she purred, "I love you too, Goosepaw."

            "You-you do?" he asked.

            Lifepaw laughed and nodded. "I've kind of had a teensy crush on you since I was younger."

            Goosepaw laughed, then smiled, nuzzling Lifepaw. Lifepaw grinned, glad to have not only friends and family who loved her, but a cat who loved her more than a friend.

            Sad to break up their moment, Lifepaw looked up. "We should head back. Maybe Ripplepaw will want to take a break."

            Goosepaw nodded, still grinning.

            Together, they headed back to camp in silence, their tails intertwined as they smiled at each other with loving grins.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 53 33
[OLD] {Book one} There used to be four clans; HundredClan StormClan GroveClan And ShiningClan But, there was a terrible war, a war in which ShiningCl...
3.9K 168 32
*This series is on its fourth book but will no longer be updated as I am doing a heavy rewrite* When Blossompaw gets mysteriously healed overnight, t...
516 73 32
WARNING If You have not already, please go ahead and read the first 3 books in the Warrior Cats fan fic, starting with Alone! This story is about Lim...
962 138 13
What if you had been murdered? ~~~ Violetdust of LightningClan was the definition of a perfect warrior, pare one thing. She hated SpiritClan. Not jus...