Colette's Covenant

De Talia_Rhea

Paladins Series 1: In the great kingdom of Vasconia, in the mountain city of Gwenael there is a group of powe... Mai multe

The Lady and the Knight
The Cave System
Power of Perception
Paladins of the Sacellum
Speed and Perception
General Didier
Mistaken Strategy
Feast of Celebration
Emergency Summons
Insane Plans
Shame of the Fallen
Reckless Courage
Second Thoughts
Seeing the Answer
Colette's Covenant

Volunteer

1.3K 65 13
De Talia_Rhea

Volunteer

The feast thrown in Colette's honor was not just a celebration for herself and the paladins. It was being enjoyed by the entirety of the city. Though the majority of the people would likely never get to meet her, or any of the paladins, a new member joining their ranks was something that the entire country would consider a joyous occasion.

Proclamations were sent out to all the major cities in Vasconia announcing her name, titles, and position. A special one was sent back to South Gate along with a personal note from Colette to her grandmother Vivienne announcing the news and detailing her excitement.

The rooms she had been given in the Paladin's Suite were far grander than Nicolas' and came with her own private bathing room and a balcony that gave her a marvelous view of the palace. She even had a small garden on that balcony and a comfortable chair to enjoy it on nice days. She didn't have much in the way of belongings to move in, but she would accumulate more, she was sure. The point was that this was her space now. Her home.

Felicie dropped by with first with a cake and a welcoming smile that made Colette uncomfortable. It was like she wasn't truly lying, but there was always something about her that seemed false. Despite the woman being friendly and happy, it put Colette on her guard.

She dressed up that night in preparation for the feast. As advised, she didn't wear a gown or dress, though it was a formal affair. She did pick out her best trousers and boots, happy that her grandmother had convinced her to pack them. Then she picked a soft, white cotton shirt with bell sleeves that tightened at her wrists. Over that, she pulled her chain mail. It made the shirt look fancy, it also kept her wearing her mail.

When Nicolas picked her up, she was pleased to see that he had also dressed up. He had chosen black trousers with thin silver embroidery and a black vest with similar markings. He was wearing his nicest cape and the pin denoting his rank had been buffed and shined.

"Hello, handsome," Colette beamed upon opening her door.

Nicolas blinked in surprise. Not at her clothing. It wasn't all that dissimilar to what she usually wore, and he was expecting that. But she had spent time and effort on her hair. The blonde braid had been undone and she had pulled the top half of it back and let the curled waves cascade freely down her back. It was simple, but it highlighted the shape of her face very well.

Everything she wore should have been masculine, but it never was because of those little touches.

"Ready to go?" He asked, staring at her without shame.

"Yeah," she nodded enthusiastically, stepping outside. "Where's Ferrant?"

"He's waiting downstairs. He didn't really feel comfortable coming inside."

"Huh? Why not?"

Nicolas shrugged, letting Colette take his arm. "He seems rather shy. I think everyone's titles make him uncomfortable. He doesn't really have one himself."

Colette frowned. "I guess not. It never bothered him in South Gate."

"South Gate is significantly smaller than Gwenael."

"He'll get more comfortable," Colette nodded, mostly to herself. "When he gets back to work especially."

Ferrant had tried his best to dress sharply, though he hadn't packed anything special as Colette had. He had needed to borrow formal trousers from Nicolas and the dark black didn't quite look as sharp on him as it did on Nicolas.

Still, Colette was beaming to have both men on her arms. She was pulling Ferrant from his shyness with her usual exuberance and excitement. She was so focused on her childhood friend that Nicolas felt like he could stare at her more freely now.

She smiled so brightly, moved so easily. Her entire life had changed so quickly and instead of feeling apprehensive or exhausted, she looked eager to meet each new development. Nicolas used to remember what it was like to feel that way, now he wondered if he had ever been so happy. Had the world ever been so bright to him, even as a child?

Colette's feast was being held in the second ballroom. It wasn't so big as the first, but it was equally elegant and it had access to the gardens from the large glass pane doors that reached all the way up to the high, domed ceiling. When Nicolas walked Colette inside, she marveled at the massive crystal chandelier hanging down from the center and the beautiful paintings lovingly detailed around it. Then her eyes traveled down to the party goers.

The king and queen were seated in thrones overseeing it all. The prince and princess had smaller seats on either side of them, but their occupants weren't present at the moment. The other three paladins currently in the city were already there. As were a selection of lords and ladies that had come to pay respects and meet her.

Most exciting for Colette – aside from the royal family – were two knights. One of whom was walking about on crutches, his leg in a cast.

"Guilbert! Juste!" She called out eagerly, leaving her male companions to rush towards them. "You came to see me?"

"Lady Toinette," Guilbert, the uninjured knight, bowed to her. Juste could only incline his head without tipping himself over. "Why would we not? It's an honor to have assisted a paladin in battle."

"I'm so glad to see you two again," Colette beamed as Nicolas and Ferrant caught up to her.

"You must meet my wife, my lady," Juste said with a smile. "She's eager to thank the woman who saved my life. I've told her all about you."

"I said that if he has a daughter, he should name her in your honor," Guilbert beamed. "I know that I will. Even if it's a boy. What's the masculine form of Colette? Is there one? I'll make one if not."

Colette laughed, cheeks tinted pink. "You two are so sweet. Thank you."

"Captain," Juste nodded to Nicolas. "Ah, and Ferrant, was it not?"

"The one who was sick the entire flight back," Guilbert laughed good-naturedly. "I'm pleased to see you looking a little less green."

"No more pleased than me, I assure you," Ferrant smiled.

"Colette!" The king's voice, so familiar to her now, caught her attention. The happy man had seen her walk in and come down from his throne. He was walking her way now, pulling on the arm of another man, much younger than himself.

"I've someone I want you to meet," he said as Juste and Guilbert made way for their ruler. "Evening, gentlemen. If I could steal the lady's attention?"

"Your majesty," Colette started to bow formally.

Cyrille waved the movement away. "You're a paladin now, Colette. I'm going to see you a lot. If you give me a full bow every time, you'll get a bad back. Anyway, allow me to present Lord Odilon Yvain. My dear friend and adviser. Oddie, this is Lady Colette Toinette."

"My lord," she inclined her head.

"My lady," he returned the gesture. "It's a pleasure to meet another paladin. That makes seven now, doesn't it? I believe the biggest group in history was only eight. We're nearing the record."

"It's impressive," she nodded.

"A little worrying, actually," he frowned. "The eight that I speak of served Vasconia during a time of great turbulence and upheaval. That was when your great-great-grandfather took the throne, was it not? Staged a coup against a dictator who had been trying to conquer all of the surrounding kingdoms."

Cyrille nodded, beaming. "That's right."

"So then, why do we need seven now?" Odilon asked, frowning.

Colette tilted her head curiously, staring at Lord Yvain. He looked to be a young man, probably not that much older than herself. His clothing was of the best quality, a fine, golden doublet with incredibly intricate embroidery over a white, silk shirt. He himself was a handsome man with sculpted features enhanced by gleaming blue eyes set underneath a head of styled brown hair. The expression on his face, in those eyes, made him seem ages older; his words were filled with worry.

Cyrille smiled, trying to break the new tension. "Oddie is the richest man in Gwenael. Not to mention the most handsome. He's the bachelor every mama dreams of matching to her daughter."

"Cyrille," Odilon laughed uncomfortably. "Why did you want me to meet Lady Toinette again?"

Colette laughed, reaching back. Her arm found Nicolas' rather easily. He stepped forward without complaint. "That's all right. I already have a date tonight."

"Ah, Sir Sacha. A pleasure. It's been a while."

"Lord Yvain," Nicolas nodded his head to him. "I was actually about to ask Colette if she would like to dance. If you don't mind."

"Of course, we don't," Cyrille smirked at him knowingly. "Actually, I was just hoping to get a chance to speak with Ferrant."

"Wha-? Who, me?" The man in question jumped at being addressed. He could never explain what it felt like to suddenly have the richest man in Vasconia, a paladin, a high knight, and the king himself all place their eyes on him at once.

"Yes, of course. The one who makes the chain mail," Odilon smiled. "Cyrille told me of you. You need a special ore mined in South Gate, right? Well, I would be happy to be your sponsor and work out a shipping deal to bring you all the supplies you need."

"Hey," Cyrille nudged him. "Colette and Nicolas wanted to dance. Let's talk business over there."

The king then grabbed Ferrant and began pulling him along. Colette laughed and waved her friend goodbye, even as he was giving her a desperate look over his shoulder.

"You're a cruel friend," Nicolas told her, wincing in pity.

"He needs to get comfortable around them if he'll be doing business with them," she said calmly before turning her smile on him. "So, you wanted to dance?"

Nicolas's back straightened sharply. He had only said that because it had been Odilon Yvain she had been speaking to. Cyrille was seriously under-representing his desirability as a match. There wasn't a single girl in the city who wouldn't want to spend a night with that man. The jealousy he had felt at having Colette turn her smile on him had made Nicolas temporarily stupid and possessive. It was too late to undo it now.

He didn't even like dancing, but he had to lead her out into the floor now. He took hold of her waist and hand as they began moving to the strings of music coming down from the high balcony above the floor where the musicians were performing. It was the first time, he thought dimly, that he had danced with someone wearing pants.

She was so odd.

Why did he like that so much?

"What are you thinking so hard about?" Colette asked, tilting her head curiously.

Nicolas shook his head. "Silly things."

"That's a very serious expression to be thinking about silly things."

"I didn't say they weren't important, silly things."

Colette giggled. "You're an odd man, Nicolas."

He gave her a look. "That's very hypocritical, coming from you."

She laughed louder this time. They fell silent for a few bars, twirling around the fancy skirts that were being kicked up by the other ladies in attendance. Nicolas found that he preferred Colette's trousers over their flowing gowns. He could stand closer to her. He didn't have to focus on not stepping on the trailing fabric. Why did women even wear skirts in the first place? It seemed an utterly ridiculous thing compared to how close he could be to Colette now.

"What will it be like to be a paladin, do you think?" She asked him softly.

Nicolas hummed thoughtfully. "Can't really be sure. It depends on what you want to do."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, all of the paladins have different specialties, different responsibilities. Lady Benoite is the leader, she rarely leaves Gwenael. Lady Medee, on the other hand, can and often does travel all over the kingdom to carry out the king's will. Lady Alard rarely ever fights. Lady Honorine fights all the time."

"Lady Honorine?"

"Elaine Honorine. She's a paladin as well. She's not in the city right now."

"Huh..." Colette looked thoughtful for a moment. "All I'm really good at is throwing myself headfirst into a fight. What would I be used for?"

"That's for the king and the church to decide." Nicolas smiled, tightening his hold on her waist just a little bit. "I wouldn't worry about it. You're where you belong. Your place will be revealed to you soon. Just enjoy the city for now."

She smiled, unable to miss his firmer grip. Her heart was thudding again. It was definitely him. She was really starting to enjoy the sensation. Maybe if she could get just a little closer-

"Your majesty! Your majesty!"

The ballroom came to a halt as people began turning their heads towards the frantic call. The haggard young man trying to push his way through the crowd was wearing the dull blue of messenger boys, but his satchel lay flat and empty against his side. The panicked expression on his face did not bode well.

As people realized what he was trying to do, they began making way for him. The band died down in the balcony, allowing the king to hear his cries.

Cyrille turned to the youth as he rushed past the lords and ladies.

"Your majesty!" He yelled again as he hastily and sloppily dropped to his knees. "News from the border, sire!"

"Tell me," Cyrille commanded, his face uncharacteristically serious.

The young man was struggling to breath, grabbing for his aching chest. Just how far had he run to deliver this message? "Gy-Hamelin, it's a city on the border mountains-"

"I know of it."

"It's been attacked! Gascony soldiers have taken control of it."

Radelle appeared at her husband's arm, she grabbed hold of it. "That's my home..."

"Cyrille's jaw tightened. "Nina? Where are you?!"

"Here, sire," she called, stepping from the crowd. "What do you command?"

"W-Wait, there's more," the messenger interrupted quickly. "There's other cities being attacked, too."

"How many?" Cyrille asked.

"Er, five at least. That I know of. Gy-Hamelin was the only one that had been taken over by last count. Though, that message comes from refugees of the area. There's been no messenger birds sent."

"Sabine has recovered quickly from her previous attempt," Sybille said, walking closer to her king. "If there hasn't been a single messenger bird, then she has to have those cities surrounded, watched at all times, and any attempts shot down from the sky."

"What would you recommend, Sybille?" Cyrille asked her.

"Not discussing this here in the open," she looked around pointedly.

He nodded. "Paladins, to the war room. We'll continue this there."

Colette shared a look with Nicolas before racing after the other three. He remained just a step behind her. The king and queen lingered for just a moment longer, assuring the guests that things were in good hands and they were free to continue enjoying the festivities if they so desired.

"Where's Gy-Hamelin?" Colette asked Nicolas as they walked quickly through the halls.

"It's on the border mountains," he said. "As far from South Gate as you can get and still be on the border with Gascony. It's a large trade city because it borders three kingdoms. It's the queen's hometown, and a very important victory for Gascony if it's truly lost."

"Have you been there?"

"I have. It was part of my recruiting mission."

"Huh..." She looked thoughtful.

Nina led the way into the war room. She threw the double doors open before marching inside. The servants that had rushed ahead to turn on the lanterns were still moving about. She ignored them to walk around a long, rectangular table with a map that was even more detailed than Sybille's back in the Paladin's Suite.

Colette and Nicolas led up the rear, leaving the gathered group waiting for the king and queen. They didn't let that stop them from immediately launching into the discussion.

"We can't put off war any longer," Sybille said darkly, crossing her arms. "As much as the king hates the idea, Queen Sabine has made her point."

"I think even the king would agree with you," Nina frowned over the map. "Felicie, move Sabine's troops further north."

"Got it!" She sang, reaching across the map to adjust the placement of the silver figures.

Colette narrowed her eyes on the map. She could see Gy-Hamelin written down near the north-east most border of the kingdom. There were more cities in that area than the further south-east South Gate, Colette couldn't know which of the others were under attack. She could see Sybille contemplating possibilities as she directed Felicie where to move the troops.

The king and queen came into the room at last, and the servants moved to close the doors and vacate the area quickly.

"Ideas?" Cyrille asked immediately.

"The north is heavily populated," Sybille frowned. "There's no telling which five cities she's attacked. If I had to guess, and if it were me planning it, I would say Gy-Hamelin down to Antonin Pass is the range."

"Why Antonin Pass?" Colette asked, frowning at the mark.

"It would be strategically advantageous of her to attack there," Sybille explained calmly. "If she can take over Antonin Pass, she won't need to cross the mountains to attack us, she'd have direct access and there's nothing we'll be able to do once she's begun bleeding through."

"Then it's vital that she not take that city," Nina nodded. "I'll contact Lea. She should be in that area."

"Lea?" Colette whispered to Nicolas.

"Another paladin," he explained shortly.

She nodded, looking back to the others.

"I'll leave Antonin Pass to Lea then," Cyrille nodded. "That still leaves Gy-Hamelin. While not as important as Antonin Pass, it's still valuable. We have to reclaim it."

Nina frowned, thinking. "Sybille?"

"Felicie might be able to go," she shrugged. "That would leave us lacking in defenses though. She usually covers those. She's not really a front line kind of fighter."

"Guilty," Felicie smiled. "If you order it though-"

"What about me?" Colette spoke up quickly, catching everyone's eye.

"You?" Nina asked.

Colette nodded, still smiling, but far more serious than her usual self. She looked, Nicolas thought, exactly like she had when she was about to lead him into the caves at South Gate.

"I'm a great front line kind of fighter." She looked to Nicolas as though asking him to confirm the statement. "I enjoy doing this kind of thing."

"Enjoy it?" Radelle repeated, an eyebrow raising.

"Maybe that was the wrong word," Nicolas gave Colette a short look, "but she does have a point, your majesties. I can attest to her skill firsthand when Gascony attacked South Gate."

"Have you ever led an army before?" Nina asked.

"Um, no? But Nicolas has!"

"Huh?" His eyes darted to her.

"He's been all over that area recruiting, right? He knows the cities and he has strong men working for him. Allow me to work with him to reclaim those cities."

"Not a bad idea," Cyrille nodded.

"What?" Nicolas asked a bit too sharply.

"Your knowledge and her authority and skill as paladin would work well together."

Sybille nodded. "Maybe her eyes would be able to see ways into the city that we do not. Moreover, she could use her ability to detect lies to get information from Gascony troops and officers. Nina?"

"The timing would be right if this were the Lord's plan," she nodded. "Maybe he intended Colette to be your forward paladin, your majesty."

"Good," Cyrille nodded. "Then it's done. Colette, you will lead Nicolas and his men to Gy-Hamelin and begin our counterattack."

"Yes, sire!" She saluted him, banging her fist to her chest.

"Hey!" Nicolas snapped at her. "Why are you bringing me into this?"

"Are you opposed to my order, Nicolas?" Cyrille asked calmly.

Nicolas hesitated before clearing his throat. "If it's your order, your majesty, then of course I will abide it. I just haven't seen real combat in quite a long time."

"Exactly. Your troops are rested and ready to fight. I trust you more than any of my other high knights, I would rest easier at night knowing that you will be fighting for me. Colette is right. You have been to those cities multiple times to recruit for my army. You are familiar with the area in a way that my other knights are not."

"Yes, your majesty," he grumbled. Unhappy, but not unwilling.

"Nina, how many ships can I send her with?"

"At the moment, there is only one warship waiting at the docks. It should be enough to send all of Nicolas' soldiers, plus more if you wish it."

He nodded. "Good. Have it ready to launch as soon as possible."

"Felicie," Nina turned to her. "Go to the docks. Order the Cloud Gazer to get ready to launch."

"Yes, ma'am!" Felicie saluted her before running from the room.

"I'll go wake my knights," Nicolas said. He turned to leave as well, giving Colette a dark look as he was walking out.

Colette frowned as the door shut behind him. "Did I step out of line?"

"Don't worry about it," Sybille said calmly, turning her face back. "You did well by volunteering. And you're right, Nicolas is perfect for this job."

"Then why did he seem... so angry?"

"That's just Nicolas," Cyrille smiled apologetically. "He dislikes combat. Though he is good at it. He always requests to recruit soldiers rather than lead them."

"Why though?"

"That's for Nicolas to tell you," he winked. "You should go get ready as well, Colette. The ship won't leave without you, but you're the one holding it here."

She nodded, then hesitated. "Your majesty, there is one more thing."

"Yes?"

"Nina, you said that there was room for more soldiers on the airship, right?"

"Yes. Why?"

"I would like to request my own troops. Not just Nicolas'."

Cyrille nodded, giving his approval. "Name the company and it is yours."

"Well, I don't really know the military enough to request a specific troop by name. I'll leave that to you, Nina. You know them best. But, if I could make one condition?"

~~~~~~

The servants at the Paladin's Suite were accustomed to their charges needing to leave at a moment's notice. They were also apparently very good at their jobs. By the time that Colette had jogged across the Royal Complex back to the Suite, they had already heard the news of her departure and someone had come into her room and packed all of her things into a knapsack.

"Great service," Colette admired as she checked to make sure everything that she would need was inside. They were both thorough and thoughtful.

Admittedly, she didn't own much. There had only been so many things she could bring with her to Gwenael, and she wasn't a very materialistic person to start with. Her most prized possessions, her sword and her chain mail, were things that she wore a great deal and so hadn't needed to be packed at all.

Once she was assured that all of her things were in the knapsack, she slung it over her back. As she was settling it in place, a gentle knock on her door warned her of Sybille's entrance. She didn't wait for a response, she walked inside immediately after knocking.

"Good, you're still here," she nodded, satisfied. "You just took off running."

"I like running," Colette smiled. "Did you need something?"

"I came to give you these." Sybille lifted her hand and held out a leather-bound notebook. "It's expensive, so don't lose it. Or damage it."

Colette took it from her and opened it curiously. It fell open to the center without needing her assistance revealing a map of the region she would be traveling towards. Because it displayed less land it was able to show more details, including the smaller towns that the large map couldn't show.

"This is the official, legal border line," Sybille said, running her finger down a dashed line that ran erratically through the mountains. "When you reach Gy-Hamelin, I need you to mark how far in Gascony has progressed. I also need you to mark which towns are lost. Take the map out when you have the information and send it back to me. The other papers are for you to send messages. The front page has our code system, once you have it memorized, burn it."

"My head hurts already," Colette complained, flipping to the front.

"You sound like Elaine," Sybille rolled her eyes. "Information is power, Colette. The more you know, the better off you are. If you're going to the front lines, you have to send me back information that I can use to strategize and, in turn, make your life easier."

Colette nodded as she closed the leather book. "I will be sure to make it as precise as possible."

"Good. Do you know the way down to the docks?"

"Er..."

"I thought not. There are small docks all over the city, but largest dock is at the southern end of the Iron District."

"I don't remember Iron," Colette frowned.

"That's because you can't see it from above. Iron is the district between the plates and the mountain."

"That sounds terrible. No sunlight? No fresh air? Do people live down there?"

"I don't know. I've never been there except to go to the large docks, and the large docks are open to the outside and closed to the rest of the district. It hardly matters now. I can have someone show you the way."

"No, that's okay. I'm meeting Nicolas. He'll take me there."

Sybille nodded before giving her a long look. She swallowed and looked away uncomfortably. "I find that I'm not particularly good at emotional responses."

"Um...?" Colette hesitated, unsure what to say.

"What I mean is that I wish you good luck, and I hope you come back safely."

"Aw, thank you, Sybille. I'll make sure to gain victory for our king. Don't worry, I've never lost a fight and I'm certainly not going to start now."

Sybille gave her a long look before nodding. "Good luck. I'll send you messenger birds as I get new information to keep you up to date. I expect the same in return."

"Of course. See you when I get back, Sybille."

Colette beamed at her before running from the room. It hadn't been hers for longer than a single night, and she didn't miss it as she was running out. She was only looking forward to seeing her ship. The Cloud Gazer.

Nicolas was already walking towards the Suite, his own knapsack in hand, when she came down. She beamed and put on burst of speed to skid to a halt in front of him.

"Ready to go?" She asked excitedly.

He gave her a dark look. "There's an aircab waiting to take us to Iron. It's under-"

"Underneath the plates. Yeah, Sybille told me."

He nodded once before turning and leading the way. Colette bit her lip before jogging after him. She looked into his face but he deliberately kept his eyes off of hers.

"Are you mad at me?" She asked.

"No," he said, his voice sharp, short, and angry.

"You sound mad at me."

"I'm not."

She watched him for a moment in disbelief before turning her head forward. They remained silent for a long few minutes. It lasted until they stepped into the aircab. The topless vehicle, big enough to fit six people, took off with just the two of them inside. As the wind beat at her face, Colette realized her hair was still down and she reached back to re-braid it.

And Nicolas finally started. "Why did you volunteer me?" He snapped.

Colette blinked at him before resuming braiding her hair. "I didn't think you would mind."

"Of course, I mind. I don't want to go into battle. Why would anyone want to fight?"

"Why wouldn't you?" She returned, frowning. "You're going to protect our people, everyone we love. Yeah, we could get hurt or we could die, but I prefer that happen to me than someone else here."

Nicolas stared at her for a long moment, as though surprised to hear such a thing coming from her of all people. He growled, turning away. "You've never seen real war. You don't know what you're talking about."

She glared at him, releasing her half-finished braid. "Oh, and I suppose you have?"

"I've seen more death and destruction than you!"

"Well, then I'll know how not to turn out after all of this is said and done!"

She turned from him angrily. He growled at her but didn't say anything.

The aircab brought them around the palace then over across the Gold and Silver Districts. It reached the edge of the plate and turned before drifting downwards. Though night had fallen, someone had turned on floodlights, illuminating the massive airship that was being pushed towards the launch dock. Colette gasped, nearly standing to get a better look at it.

Cloud Gazer wasn't the largest airship in the fleet, but it was far superior to the small boat that Colette had taken into Gwenael. The mast had been lowered for docking, but as it was pushing out onto the launch pier she could see it being lifted up again. The large lights brightening the dock were lighting it from below, casting almost eerie shadows over the deck.

The aircab pulled around, past the others that were ferrying in the knights and soldiers Colette would be commanding. It flew to the highest point of the dock where Cyrille was waiting, his arms crossed and a serious frown on his face. Ferrant was beside him. He appeared worried.

The cab had barely landed before Nicolas was jumping out. Colette followed after him a moment later, a bit surprised to see her friend.

"Ferrant? Why are you here?"

He frowned, walking around the king to meet her. "Did you think I'd let you go off to war and not at least say farewell?"

She smiled before dropping her knapsack and throwing her arms around his neck and holding on tight. He squeezed her back, probably just a bit tighter than he normally would have.

Nicolas looked back at them and that ugly jealousy reared its head in his chest again. He actually felt it like claws in his heart, ripping at him from within. He knew they thought of each other as siblings, but he couldn't bring himself to care at that moment.

Cyrille looked back at him and grabbed his shoulder. "It's showing on your face, friend."

"What is?" Nicolas asked, angry at the world.

The king frowned. "You don't want to go, do you?"

"I'll follow your orders without complaint, your majesty."

"I know you will, but it's not my intention to send someone to war who isn't willing to go. If you'd prefer to stay behind, tell me now."

"My men are already on board."

"I can delay long enough to get a different company down here instead." Cyrille stepped just a bit closer, trying to look his favorite knight in the eyes. "You've had an aversion to violence since... well, for five years now. Not that I blame you, of course. If it means so much to you, then I can have you lead the royal guard instead."

Nicolas drew back quickly. "I'd rather not. I'm not opposed to going."

"Yes, you are."

"Then I'll get over it. I'll send you frequent reports, your majesty."

"Don't be like that, Nicolas. I am going to miss you while you're gone," Cyrille tried to give him a smile, but it came out rather pained. "You have to come back alive, that's an order. I will not accept your death, do you understand?"

Nicolas sighed before relenting slightly. "As your command, your majesty."

"You're so formal, even when you don't have to be," Cyrille smiled.

Footsteps signaled the arrival of Ferrant and Colette. Though they were no longer embracing, they still had their arms wrapped around each other, their hands cupped together as though they were children again, playing their games in the streets.

"Are you ready?" Colette asked, her voice a bit rough from unshed tears.

Nicolas nodded. "I'm going aboard. You'll have the master cabin, mine will be across from yours. I'll see to the final preparations for launch."

Colette watched as he turned and walked down the pier to one of the many gangplanks leading onto the deck of the massive ship. She was frowning at his tone.

"He's really mad at me, isn't he?"

"He's just grumpy," Cyrille smiled at her. "My lady paladin, it has been an honor knowing you for this short time. I look forward to your victorious return when I can get to know you even better."

Colette laughed. She bowed without releasing Ferrant. "The honor was all mine, your majesty."

"Be careful," Ferrant said firmly, staring at her in worry. "I won't have you dying on me now, do you understand?"

"You're so pessimistic," she laughed, nudging him gently. "When have you ever known me to lose? Enjoy your new position as king's blacksmith. I expect to see his majesty wearing your next creation when I get back."

Ferrant hugged her once more. "Stupid. You better not be gone that long. Do you expect me to not sleep for months on end while I'm worrying about you?"

Colette smiled. "Love you, Ferrant."

"I love you too, silly girl," he smiled back at her. "Be safe. I don't care about this war. I don't approve of fighting anyway. I just want you back."

"Consider it done," she beamed.

They tightened their embrace, squeezing tight enough to leave each other breathless, before she released him. She bowed at her king one last time before running up the same gangplank Nicolas had used. She stopped when she reached the deck and looked back. Ferrant was staring at her, a sad frown in place. She gave him her brightest smile and waved at him in jubilation.

She was worried. Of course, she was. She had never been to war. But she was also confident in her skills and eager to serve her king.

This was why she was a paladin.

~~~~~~

It would take three days for the fastest ship in the fleet to make it to the furthest border of the kingdom. The Cloud Gazer was not nearly the fastest ship. Her bulk meant that she was slowed considerably so it was a full week before the watcher in the crow's nest called out their approach to the border mountains. The town of Gy-Hamelin wouldn't be far behind.

"How long from here?" Colette asked Nicolas as the two of them stood at the prow of the ship, watching the land rush by below.

"Probably another day or two," Nicolas said, looking at the mountains. "I recognize that peak there."

"Why that one?"

"It looks like a bird."

Colette tilted her head. Then her face broke out into a wide smile. "Oh, wow! It does!"

She started laughing but Nicolas didn't join in with her. They had been trapped on the same airship together for a week now, but his attitude wasn't getting any better. If anything, he was slowly morphing back into that same dull, disinterested, mechanical high knight that she had first seen stepping into South Gate.

Her laughter died out into an awkward sort of chuckle when he didn't join in with her. She bit her lip, looking at him out of the corner of her eye. His expression betrayed nothing.

She had to talk to him. She had really rather been hoping that, if she gave him enough time, he would come around on his own. Unfortunately, it wasn't happening.

"Lady Toinette!"

Grateful for the interruption, she turned back quickly. "Yes, Guilbert. What is it?"

He lowered his fist from his salute. "The captain says the winds are picking up. He's recommending that everyone get below deck for our own safety."

"Sure," Colette nodded, smiling. "Nicolas?"

"I'll be in my room," he said, walking forward.

She sighed. Guilbert frowned between them as Nicolas walked away.

"My lady, are you all right?"

"I'm fine," she gave him a smile. "Better get below deck, Guilbert."

"Yes, my lady," he saluted her again and turned to walk off.

Colette was pouting slightly as she walked across the deck. The captain had his own cabin, which was one of the finest. Hers was the master cabin next door and it was near equal in quality. Nicolas slept in a slightly smaller, but still fine, cabin across from her. His door was already shut when she walked into the little hall that separated the three chambers. She sighed as she walked into her own room and shut the door behind her.

The room wasn't as big as her suite at the Royal Complex, but she at least got her own room with a comfortable bed and a desk with lockable drawers. Not for privacy, but so that any turbulence in the air couldn't rock everything out of place.

In fact, everything was either bolted to the floor, or built into it. Colette found that she didn't really like the permanent fixtures. It made her feel oddly trapped. Which was a stupid feeling, she knew, but it was only compounded by her anxiety over Nicolas.

She wanted to talk to him. She knew he didn't want to talk to her. If it were Ferrant, she would just annoy him until he forgave her to get her to leave him alone. This was Nicolas though. She doubted that annoying him would do anything but make the problem worse.

The idea came to her in a moment. She turned and rushed out of her room. She ran across the hall and knocked on his door. Then stood there trying not to grin.

He opened it rather quickly, seemingly a bit surprised at seeing her. He had already removed his cape and vest. It looked like he was getting ready to go to bed for the night. He had even run his hand through his hair a couple times, mussing the black locks.

That was unreasonably attractive, she thought to herself. She hadn't ever seen him looking so put together, even when they had shared a suite. He had never presented himself to her as casually as he was now.

It was the sort of thing that made her think of tussled beds and dark nights.

She forced that thought from her mind and gave him a wicked smirk.

"Colette?" He frowned. "What's wrong? Did you need something?"

"Yes, I do." She put her hands to her hips. "Sir Sacha, I challenge you to a duel."

He stared at her for a long, tense moment. Then-

"Are you serious, right now?"

"Incredibly serious. I challenge you to a duel."

"Colette, I thought we were past this," he sighed, rubbing his forehead.

"I'm not challenging you as a lady to a knight, though I will if you force my hand. I'm challenging you as a paladin to a knight."

He leaned against the doorframe, his face exasperated. "For what purpose?"

"Stress relief. And communication."

"Communication?" His eyebrow rose. "I do believe that fighting is from a lack of communication, not a method used to fix it."

"Depends on the person. I'll see you early tomorrow morning."

"Why?"

"Because we can't go on deck now because of the winds."

"That was not at all what I meant."

She smiled at him. "Be there, and be ready to work."

He sighed. "Are you sure you're wanting a duel and not just training?"

"Whichever one gets you there. See you in the morning, Nicolas," she beamed.

He watched as she waved at him while walking back into her room. He remained in place even as her door shut behind her and he heard the latch being thrown.

A duel? Again? What was wrong with her?

More importantly, what was wrong with him?

How could he still desire a woman who grated on his nerves so badly? Part of him wished that he could just take her to bed and get her out of his system. That wouldn't work for a multitude of reasons. Partly because she was a lady and gentlemen didn't just take ladies to bed with the hopes that it would end there without further complication.

Though, mostly, because he doubted highly that it would purge her from his system. The more he knew her, the closer he became to her, the more he wanted her. So much so that he was actually going to meet with her in the morning despite not wanting to do so in the slightest. She had control of some part of him and he couldn't seem to escape from that hold.

~~~~~~

Cloud Gazer was a massive ship meant not just to transport a great many people at once but also to serve as their home for that time. It was a warship, meaning it came equipped with more amenities than the smaller boat Colette had taken back to Gwenael.

Most notably, there was a spot on the deck that could be cleared away and mats put down so that training could be done. Partly to keep skills sharp, partly for exercise on the otherwise cramped vessel. Mostly, it was to work off the excess energy of a group of warriors all put together in the same area so that real fights didn't break out amongst them.

Colette and Nicolas hadn't used the mats before. They didn't want to discourage the others from coming to train as commanding officers taking over the area. However, that morning, Nicolas walked out from the cabins to see that Colette was already up, bright eyed and excited, while she sat out the mats. It was just past dawn and the ship's crew were really the only others awake.

"Good morning, Nicolas!" Colette sang as she took off her boots before walking onto the training floor. They were made for grappling and falls, but she didn't want her boots to damage them. Nicolas followed suit as he came onto the mats with her.

"Morning," he inclined his head. He wasn't sure about 'good', but it was definitely morning.

"So cranky. Already?" She laughed.

"That's what happens when people get me up with the sun," he grumbled, crossing his arms. He looked around the area. "Where are the weapons?"

"No weapons." She lifted her hands and wiggled her fingers. "We're doing this the old-fashioned way."

"I am not wrestling with you. No." He declared simply.

"You're already here, don't waste your early morning," she laughed as she spread her legs, crouching slightly. "Now, get ready, because I'm going to put you on the ground."

"I bet you will. It's easy to win when you know what your enemy is going to do before they do."

She laughed. "I can't possibly know that. They've already made the decision when I see it."

"That makes me feel so much better." Nicolas still removed his vest because she was right. He was already here and committed to this. Though he knew that he was going to lose. The only way someone could defeat Colette was if they moved out of her field of vision which she didn't allow for just that reason, or if they moved too fast for even her advanced sight to give her time to move. When it came to common wrestling, there was no way anyone could move that fast.

But it wasn't losing he was opposed to. It was the thought of his body wriggling around with hers as they tried to pin each other to the mat. Using their body weights to push each other down. Sweating, heaving, panting. It was entirely too evocative a scene.

Yet, he still got into position.

"Rules," she smiled.

"No hitting below the belt, no hitting for the face," he said easily.

She nodded, agreeing. "Also, for every pin, the loser must answer a question. Honestly. There will be penalties if you don't."

He gave her a long look. "This is your way of communicating?"

"All you have to do is win. Then you don't have to tell me anything."

"You might as well as tell me to sprout wings and fly off the edge of the ship."

Colette laughed. "Ready?"

"Go," he said.

Neither of them moved.

Nicolas really didn't want to tell her anything. If she was trying to motivate him into fighting her with intention, then she had succeeded. It wasn't that he was somehow opposed to taking her into his confidence as though she were untrustworthy, he just didn't want to form that connection. The closer he became to her, the worse it was for himself.

Colette would be able to see his attack before he fully committed to it. Therefore, it would be smarter all around not to attack her at all. He would just wait for her to attack him, then go on the defensive. Put her down quickly, without any extraneous movement. It was his best hope.

She grinned as she realized what he was doing. "Think you can wait me out, Nicolas?"

"Won't be very hard. You're impatient. You won't remain still for long."

She laughed almost wickedly. "Well, when you're right... you're right!"

She charged towards him. Nicolas ducked under her arms just to find her swinging around to grab him from behind. She put her arms around his neck as she hooked her leg around his to take him out by the knees and put him down.

Nicolas let her get her legs up before grabbing onto them and throwing them both down, putting her onto her back beneath him.

He cursed in his own head.

He knew it. She was too close now. Her breasts were pressed into his back, her legs around his waist, her arms around his neck. It was hardly erotic, but it was too close for his comfort. He could already feel his thighs clenching as he tried to calm his desire.

He broke the hold of her arms, freeing his torso. He sat up quickly before she could lock the limbs around him again. He spun around but her legs remained up at his waist. He fended off her hands before taking hold of her torso and attempting to pin her down.

She put her leg to the ground and launched them both over until she was on top. Simultaneously, she slipped out of his hold before he even put her in it and turned it around until she was grabbing hold of him again. Her legs were locking one of his arms in place while she pinned his arm to her chest. It was pulling at his muscles almost painfully.

But she was smiling. "Give up?"

"Yeah, fine," he groaned.

"Okay, first question-"

"What?! You're not going to release me before you ask?"

"You have to answer the question to be released," she told him, smirking. "So, my question: Are you really mad at me?"

Nicolas growled. "No."

"I said, you have to tell the truth!" She reminded him with a stern look.

He let out a long sigh. "I'm not really... mad. I'm not happy about it, but I'm not angry."

"Why?"

He gave her a look. "You get one question per pin."

She pouted but released him. They both rolled away and back onto their feet at the same moment. Colette grinned at him as he shook out the ache in his arm.

"Round two?" She smirked, getting into position.

"Go," he agreed.

This time, she didn't wait. She charged in immediately. Nicolas attempted to sidestep her but she saw him doing so before he did it and she adjusted herself accordingly. Nicolas found himself chest to the mat, one arm twisted back, with her arm against his neck. He tried to buck her off, but she remained firmly in place.

"Why are you angry?" She asked without asking him if he was ready to surrender.

He only struggled for a moment longer more before giving in. He relaxed, dropping to the mat. "I'm angry because I don't want to go back into combat."

She released him and jumped back. He stood up slowly, rotating his shoulder this time.

"How are you so strong?" He asked, a bit unhappy about it.

"It's not really strength," she smiled. "At least, not fully. I can just see you wiggling in whatever direction and I know to counter the move before you make it. Ready?"

"Go."

She feinted this time. Pretending to go left. It was convincing and he moved the block the incoming assault that instead came from the right. Her legs went around him again, her pelvis digging into his side as she brought him down into a headlock. Though he was on top of her, she clearly had control over him and he only fought against her for a moment.

"Why don't you want to go back into combat?" She asked into his ear.

Her breath tickled the delicate lobe and he found it harder to try and focus on the fact that they were supposed to be fighting, not... doing something else.

"The last time I was in combat, I failed in my duties," he said.

"In what way?"

"One question, Colette," he reminded her.

"I'm expanding on the same question," she refuted. "You can't be purposefully vague."

"You can't change the rules in the middle of the game," he rebuked. "If you didn't want vague answers, you should have stated so at the beginning."

Colette growled, but she released him. They came back up on their feet and she put her hands to her hips. For a moment, he thought she might actually call off her attempt at 'communication'. He was partly relieved to be free of being forced to answer these questions. Mostly, he was feeling disappointed that he wouldn't be able to feel her body against his any longer.

But she didn't call it quits. She blew a stray strand of hair from her face before getting back into her stance. He followed suit a moment later.

"Ready?" She asked.

"Go," he replied.

She charged right for him this time. Eyes focused on which way he would move. He was purposefully delaying making a decision on what to do until the last possible moment. He thought really hard about moving right, even preparing his body to do so.

She made to move right.

He grabbed her around the middle and tossed her backwards over his shoulder. He heard her make a surprised squeak before her body crashed to the mats. He turned and grabbed hold of her before she could shake off the shock of being caught off guard.

She wasn't clairvoyant, after all, he smirked to himself. She was just seeing things. Seeing his body move before he moved it because he was preparing to move it.

That in itself could be a weakness, he supposed. If one knew how to do it properly. He could lead her around by intention and catch her off guard by misdirection.

He dropped to put her into an arm lock, throwing his leg around her torso. She fought against him for a moment and he forgot to hide his intention. She escaped from his hold and turned it back against him so that their legs were tangled together and she had his arms locked behind his back. He gave in after a rough struggle that left them both breathless.

He expected a follow-up question to her previous inquiry. He didn't expect her to give him a wide-eyed look of near terror.

"What did you do?" She asked, gasping the words as though he really had sprouted wings and flown off of the side of the ship.

Nicolas stared at up at her from over his shoulder, confused for a moment as to why she seemed so scared and unsettled. It took a moment for him to remember that she had never lost a fight. Her eyes had always enabled her to see people's movements and no one had ever known about them so they had never thought to counter them as he had. Even people who feinted to one direction always gave a clue as to their true intention.

For someone to catch her off guard while she was looking right at them was disturbing to say the least.

Nicolas knew it wasn't funny, but he actually found himself grinning just a bit.

"I feinted."

"You didn't feint! I've seen feinting and that wasn't feinting. What did you do?!" Her voice was getting higher in panic.

"One question. It counts if you ask the same one twice."

She didn't release him immediately. She remained in place, keeping him locked beneath her for a long moment before she finally scrambled away. Nicolas got to his feet slower and looked over to her curiously.

Her joking demeanor was gone now. She was still down in her ready position, but it was a lot more defensive and guarded than before. For the first time since she had initially begun training, she had been brought down in a fight, even if just temporarily.

He followed suit, sinking into a crouch. "Ready?" He asked.

She hesitated. For once in her life, she faced a fight and she hesitated.

"Go," she finally mouthed softly.

Nicolas didn't move. Neither did she. They remained locked in place, eyeing each other carefully as he waited for her to make the first move. He knew that she would eventually, even if her recent tumble had made her more cautious.

She feinted one way. He didn't twitch. She did it again. He remained steady. He refused to even think about moving in a direction until he had to do so. She continued to hesitate before charging quickly towards his left side.

Nicolas remained still, only turning his head to watch her progress.

At the last possible moment, he snatched her grasping arm from the air and spun her around. He dropped her to the mat and moved to pin her in place.

She jerked her elbow up into his face, knocking him upside the jaw. In her panic, she had forgotten the rules. Nicolas wasn't even surprised. Cornered animals never fought fair, and that was exactly what she felt like in this moment.

He rolled with it, falling backwards to avoid serious damage.

She spun around and grabbed his arm before locking her legs around his neck. He felt the smooth skin just under her trousers brushing against his face. The tight clenching of her powerful muscles, and his neck was pressed back into her...

Well, he was having those thoughts again.

"How did you do that?!" She cried before he could stop struggling.

"I thought really hard about moving in one direction," he admitted. "Then I changed my mind."

"I said, no lies!"

"Do you really think I could lie to you?" He asked, his hand on her thigh. He could just imagine pulling them apart and turning his head to face...

Their minds couldn't be in more different places.

She released him and scrambled away as though burned by his touch. Nicolas took a moment more before getting his head back to the situation at hand before standing. He looked over to her. Doing it to her two times in a row was making her shake.

Once could be a fluke. But twice...

Nicolas crouched down. "Ready?"

She looked like she was about to say no. She didn't want to continue this when she felt so scared and out of control. But she also wouldn't run from a fight. She crouched down more slowly, her entire stance altered now that she didn't know what to expect.

He was putting her in a place that she had never been before. Uncertain. Unsure. Just as he suspected, she didn't know how to deal with even the idea of defeat.

He rubbed his aching jaw, grinning despite himself. "Ready?"

"-o..." She mumbled so softly. He honestly didn't know if she had said 'go', or 'no'.

Either way, she moved. Slowly, cautiously. She began circling him. He only moved insomuch to keep her within his own line of sight. He didn't show any hint of turning in one direction or another. He remained steady and calm even as she came rushing towards him.

At the very last second, she changed her mind. At the exact same moment, he made a grab for her. She didn't see him coming, she merely anticipated his movement. They both ended up missing each other and came apart unscathed.

She didn't look relieved to have escaped. If anything, she appeared even more scared. She still hadn't seen that, meaning he had done it three times. Once was a fluke, twice was a coincidence, but three times had officially established the pattern. He knew what he was doing. What was worse, he was getting better at it with each opportunity she gave him to practice.

She feinted again, but he still didn't move.

It was more than just the speed to outmaneuver her. It was the speed to out-think her. He had to be able to make a split-second decision then act on it without ever allowing himself to think about it until just a moment before he needed to act. His fighting style already lent him to remaining still until he had to move, giving him an advantage as he learned this new technique.

When she finally came for him again, meaning to take him by the neck once more, he waited just a fraction of a second longer to move than last time. She didn't pull back, she kept coming. He scooped her up with one arm, grabbing her reaching hand with the other. Then he dropped her back onto the mat, pinning one of her legs with his own as he tucked her arm between the other. As he held it in place, he fended off the desperate, clawing attacks of the other.

He grabbed her wrist and slammed it down. She didn't cease without a struggle though. She thrashed and bucked wildly against him, forcing him to use bruising force to keep her in place. He wasn't doing this to win though. He was doing it to prove a point to her that he thought she desperately needed to learn. She had to learn that she, too, could lose.

When she finally stopped wiggling, she looked up at him with great, heaving breaths. Her eyes were wide, her pulse jumping erratically under his hand. He could almost see the illusion shattering around her as what she had always thought to be impossible became reality.

"Do you give?" Nicolas asked, voice soft.

She didn't respond. She just continued to look at him with an expression of holy terror. She was shaking, her mind racing even as her body became still and cold.

Nicolas leaned down closer to her, making sure to keep her limbs locked in place. "Do you give?" He asked her again.

She couldn't say it. She couldn't admit that it had happened. Not to herself, especially not out loud.

"Will you have dinner with me?" He asked her.

She continued to stared. "W-What?"

"It's my turn to ask the question. Will you have dinner with me?" He overly enunciated the words the second time, though he knew she could hear him just fine. "Eat with me tonight. I want to enjoy your company. Not for fighting or business. For pleasure."

She blinked a few times. Unable to answer. Because if she answered, she would be admitting, at least tacitly, that she had been...

Defeated.

"I want you to dine with me," Nicolas told her, giving her time to gather her thoughts. "So that's my question. Will you have dinner with me?"

"I..." He could see her face collapsing as she struggled to answer him. To admit her loss. "I... will..."

Nicolas smiled and released his hold on her. Though she didn't attempt to move out of the position he had strapped her down in. "I'll look forward to it. We should get out of the way though. The rest of the troops are beginning to come up, and I think that they will be wanting to use the mats soon. We don't want to take them all for ourselves, right?"

He smiled at her before standing. Then he lowered his hand. Not because he thought she needed help up, but because he didn't think she would move from that spot without a little prodding. She seemed to have forgotten how to move properly.

Nicolas didn't mind guiding her back towards her shoes. He smiled pleasantly at the others as he put on his boots and gave her time to do the same. They were beginning to bring out the rest of the mats, no one found it strange to see the two of them grappling together. He was hoping to get her out of their way before they could see how odd she was acting. Though he was happy to have taught her this lesson, he didn't want their troop to see her so flustered.

Once she had her boots back on, he began escorting her to the cabins. Once the door to the hall of the three staterooms were closed, he felt safe finally looking at her with a smile.

"Want to change before we begin today's duties?" He asked calmly. As though nothing at all peculiar had happened.

It didn't seem to register to her for a long moment. When she finally turned her head to him, all she could ask was, "Dinner?"

"Yes, dinner," he smiled.

She continued to give him a long stare until he had closed her door behind her.

~~~~~~

Judging from the landmarks that Nicolas knew, they would be at Gy-Hamelin early in the morning, but certainly not before the night was over. The soldiers were eager for the action. He wasn't precisely looking forward to it, but he could understand their desire to get it over with. He just wanted to get back home and live his life in peace.

He was still so young, but he felt ancient.

For that night at least though, he was excited.

Though their food options were limited on board a ship, Nicolas had managed to dress up the usual affair so that it appeared slightly special. He spread it out on the small table in his room that had been placed under a window that showed only darkness now. He lit a candle and spread a tablecloth. It was hardly extravagant, but it was what he had.

When he opened the door for her, he could tell that his efforts hadn't gone unnoticed either. She stared at the settings for a moment before turning to him.

"Evening," she said softly. Though their fight was hours old now, she still appeared cautious.

He moved easily and purposefully. Allowing her to see each thing he did easily. He was trying to comfort her and put her at ease.

"We should be near the city tomorrow," he said, deciding that their duty was an easy, neutral topic for her to handle. "Do you have a plan?"

"Er..." She hesitated as he held out her seat for her. She took it primly and waited until he had walked around to his own before answering him. "You said it doesn't have high walls, right? I was thinking of unloading the troops out of range of their anti-airship ballistae and going in on foot."

"Old fashioned style," he nodded. "Could work. If it's planned correctly."

"Without knowing the lay of the land, that's the best I could do. I don't suppose that you remember the area well enough to mount the defensive, do you?"

Nicolas thought about it for a moment as he served the two of them. "Gy-Hamelin was once two cities that were built near each other in a wide valley. One was ours, the other was Gascony's. As they grew, they eventually merged into one and both fell under Vasconia jurisdiction. It's an excellent defensive position because, besides airship, there's only three paths in and out of the area. The main roads into Vasconia and Gascony and a smaller path that continues up through the mountains. Once all three of them are guarded, with sufficient air protection, the town is near impregnable."

She frowned. "I really wish I could see it myself."

She was becoming more relaxed, he thought to himself. With time separated from her loss and now speaking about something she was at ease with, even if that thing was combat, she was becoming comfortable in his presence again.

He wasn't going to leave it there. He wasn't going to allow her to pretend that this morning never happened. It wasn't going to be something she forced herself to forget.

For tonight though, he didn't want to think about their wrestling. Except maybe to revisit a few of the more, choice times when her arms or legs had been wrapped around him. When he had straddled her waist and had her spread below him. When she had trapped his head between her thighs. Such good memories that made his blood run hot.

When he would have changed topics though, she fixed him with a sharp-eyed look. Then asked-

"So, what was your failure?"

"Huh?" He paused in the act of bringing a bite of food to his lips. "My failure?"

"You told me that you failed in your duties and that was why you didn't like combat."

He grinned wryly. He had almost hoped she had forgotten. "I don't have to answer, you didn't pin me."

"It's not that kind of question," she gave him a soft smile. "I just want to know."

She didn't want to force it out of him. She wanted him to tell her because he wanted her to know. It was important to her. Almost important enough to make her forget about... this morning. They were completely separate topics. That... thing and this conversation were totally separate.

Nicolas didn't respond immediately. He frowned down at his food, no longer feeling quite so jovial. It took a moment to convince himself to speak. He had taken something from her, it was only right that he gave her something of himself in return.

"You know that, five years ago, King Cyrille's brother, the king of Gascony, was assassinated."

"Yes," she nodded, waiting patiently.

"...I was... still in the royal guard then. We were traveling for their yearly meeting. The royal families were much closer because of the marriage. King Cyrille and King Robert were thick as thieves, they had been since childhood. Queen Sabine... I really believe that she loved King Robert. Maybe a bit too much. Sometimes, it felt as though she were obsessed with him."

He hesitated. Colette could see him retreating back into his memories. They didn't appear to be all that pleasant, if the look on his face were any indication.

"The town was a small one. It was the sight of the king brothers' country home growing up. There was a palace there. A modest one, compared to the one in Gwenael, but it was comfortable. They enjoyed the two weeks they spent together every summer once King Robert moved to Gascony.

"Petrus Landebert. That was the name of the town. Quaint. Grounded. I actually think I might have liked it. I can't really remember anymore. We had heard rumors of potential danger before going, so my captain had increased the number of royal guard. We even brought a paladin with us. I was honestly just happy to be going. I used to enjoy my duty. I would look forward to it."

"You?" Colette asked, surprised.

Nicolas grinned at the unrestrained bafflement. "Yes, me. I was happy once."

She laughed sheepishly. "Sorry. That was rude, wasn't it?"

"It was honest," he shrugged, leaning towards her. He found, while looking into her bright eyes, that the story wasn't nearly so hard to tell as it usually was. He continued-

"The first few days were normal. They were happy. Then, one night, I was put on guard duty for the king and queen. I was mostly just standing outside of their room and staying alert for trouble. I was the first one to hear the screaming.

"I ran into their room to see the assassin standing over Queen Radelle. I started fighting back against him. King Cyrille helped me. I grabbed the queen, and I tried pulling her from the room. I told her to run so I could help the king. Then I heard the other screams. King Robert's room wasn't very far, you see. Queen Sabine was shrieking. I thought they were in trouble as well. And I...

"I abandoned my king." He shuddered when he said it, his eyes closing. "I left the room to go rescue Queen Sabine. When I reached her suite, it was to find that King Robert was already dead. The assassin had killed him in his sleep. Queen Radelle's screams had woken Queen Sabine and she was covered in his blood.

"That's when Queen Radelle began screaming again. Along with King Cyrille. I returned to find that... the assassin had cut off his right hand. His dominant hand. The king was bleeding into the floor, unable to defend himself. Queen Radelle was trying to put herself between him and the assassin. While I was uselessly running around, one man had died, and the other was maimed."

"What did you do?" Colette asked softly.

Nicolas shook his head, letting out a short breath. "I was just in time to save Queen Radelle from being skewered by the assassin. The paladin who was with us showed up then and began trying to stop the king's arm from bleeding. The assassin took me down and, just before he killed me, she stepped in and took over. She had no choice but to kill him. We would have preferred to be able to question him, but he fought like a madman. He just wouldn't stop.

"I wrapped my belt around King Cyrille's arm to stop the bleeding until the physicians arrived. Queen Radelle was shaken up, but she was unharmed. Queen Sabine though... She lost it. She loved King Robert so much. She couldn't cope with his death. She began accusing everyone of being responsible for the assassins.

"King Cyrille ordered her to calm down. He told her that a proper investigation needed to be performed. The paladin tried to reason with her, but she wasn't hearing it. I don't know what she told her, but it only made everything worse. Queen Sabine tried to kill Queen Radelle."

Colette gasped. "No."

Nicolas nodded.

"But, that... That doesn't make any sense!"

"Queen Sabine had lost her rationality. She thought that she had lost King Robert, and it was King Cyrille's fault, so he should pay with his spouse's life to make it fair."

"What happened?" Colette leaned forward, entrapped in his story.

Nicolas thought back, frowning. "She nearly cut out the paladin's eyes. She rushed for the queen with this little dagger. I think it was a letter opener, to be honest. I jumped between them and I took the blow instead. Here..."

He pulled his shirt aside, showing her a small scar just under his left shoulder. "It wasn't wide, but it was deep. I felt it scratch the bone. I took the knife and threw her away. King Cyrille ordered her from the town. It took her guard physically pulling her away to get her to obey. And, even then, it was only while faced with our swords and bows."

"So... What happened afterwards?"

"The paladin... I don't know what happened to her. I haven't heard from her since that day. She vanished and no one is sure where she is, or if she's even still alive. The king and queen rushed back home, but there was nothing to be done for him. His hand was gone and there was nothing that could reverse that. Petrus Landebert was abandoned not long after. No one wanted to remain there. Some say that Queen Sabine helped in driving people out, but we have no proof."

"And you?" Colette prompted when he deliberately left himself out. "What happened to you?"

Nicolas sighed. "I was brought home and tended to by the physicians. I handed in my resignation letter. I felt that I didn't deserve to be in the royal guard. Because of me, King Cyrille lost his hand, and King Robert lost his life. Two days later, I received a royal summons. I thought I was going to be punished for my actions and I was fine with that.

"I returned only to find myself in the middle of my own knighting ceremony. Not only was I being knighted, I was becoming a High Knight. Most honored. Sir Nicolas Sacha of Gwenael, High Knight of Vasconia, the King's Hand and Shield. King Cyrille could have focused on his own loss, but he told me that he was only grateful that I had saved Queen Radelle. Twice. So, during the ceremony, when they presented me with a new sword to wield and they asked me to name it, Griever was the only name in my heart. I didn't want the honor, but I couldn't refuse it."

"Nicolas..." Colette breathed, reaching across to take his hand in hers. He turned his wrist to capture her fingers, entwining them together. "I'm sorry that happened to you, but I agree with King Cyrille. Your actions saved Queen Radelle."

"And maimed my king."

"You tried to protect his brother and sister-in-law. I would forgive you as well in his place. If there was even forgiveness to be given for something I don't consider a crime. I'm sure King Cyrille thinks the same. He considers you a friend."

"Yeah. That's the worst part of it," he frowned at his food, no longer hungry.

Colette stared at him for a moment before smiling. She pushed back her chair and walked over to him. His head turned to look up at her but he couldn't stand because she placed herself between his legs as he turned in his chair. She reached down and cupped his face gently.

He felt unbelievably tired looking up at her. As though he had been lifting weights and finally put them down to allow his muscles a break. Drained. Depleted.

And lighter. Freer.

Colette brushed back the hair from his temples. "I'm sorry that happened to you, Nicolas. But, I want you know this: When you were knighted, your name was proclaimed across the kingdom. Including South Gate. I heard about you long before I met you. I heard that you had defended the king, that you had saved the queen. I heard about your loyalty and bravery and skill in combat. I idolized you. I adored you from afar.

"And now... I idolize you at your side. I adore you at your side."

"Colette." He whispered her name, his hands coming up without thinking to take her hips. Not out of sexual desire, but out of a desire for closeness. For comfort and warmth. He grabbed her and squeezed probably just a bit tighter than he needed to.

She didn't mind, she smiled at him as she took a step closer. He rested his chin on her belly. She wasn't wearing her chain mail and he could feel the softness of her skin, the tone of her muscles, through the soft cotton she wore.

"You are an annoying woman," he told her bluntly, making her laugh. "Why would I tell you these things?... Why does it make me feel better to tell you these things?"

"Like draining poison from a wound," she said lovingly, brushing back his hair. "We're going to arrive at Gy-Hamelin tomorrow, right?"

"Probably very early," he frowned at the change of topic.

"Then, Sir Nicolas, if you would give this lady your favor tonight?"

Just in case something happens to either of us tomorrow.

The words remained unspoken, yet hung thick in the air.

Nicolas stared up at her for a long moment. Not really debating if he wanted to or not. He did want to, that was no question. He just couldn't move for a few seconds.

And, in that time, Colette thought she had crossed a line. Those seconds were just long enough for her to regret her offer, to call herself stupid and foolish, to think she had broken her relationship with him before it had ever begun.

Then he stood. Slowly. Exactingly. He got to his feet, trailing his hands up her sides until they were placed around her waist. She didn't take a step away from him either, so they were chest to chest, her head inclined up just slightly to meet his eyes.

She gave him that sweet smile, so full of vitality and verve.

"A favor for my lady, going off to war," he said softly. The words weren't unusual, but the way he had whispered 'my lady' was different. So possessive and strong. It sent a delightful tingle rushing down her spine.

They moved at the same time. Meeting each other in the middle.

It wasn't a particularly daring kiss, though there was no one to stop them from making it just as deep and sensual as they wanted. The meeting of lips was soft, almost hesitant. Curious and testing. Trying to merely capture the sensation of the other's arms and mouth.

Nicolas tilted his head ever so slightly, his arms tightening around her. She did the same, clasping her forearms around the back of his neck. The kiss deepened without really losing that sense of wonder and curiosity.

They broke it at the same time, but didn't separate. Their faces remained close to each other, their breath mixing in the air as their lips just barely ghosted together.

"Just a favor, my lady," he whispered. Almost a question but not quite. As though telling her that he was more than willing to expand on this favor if she desired it.

Which she did. Entirely too much. Her heart felt it was near bursting from her chest. His body was warm and hers was on fire, but she enjoyed the burn. It almost scared her a bit. She needed to take a step back again and get her turbulent emotions under control.

She kissed him again. Just a simple peck at the corner of his lips. He didn't move to capture her mouth in a more proper kiss, for which she was grateful. She didn't want to get pulled into another one before she could recover from the first.

"Just a favor, good sir knight," she breathed softly.

He nodded, accepting her decision. "Tomorrow is a real battle, and you won't have the home advantage this time. Are you ready?"

She grinned, taking a step back from him, though she remained in his arms. "I have you and an army at my back. The question is, are they ready for me?"

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

127K 6.3K 27
After the bloody death of her parents when she was eleven, Kara Dosnia has lived in more than four different Villages. All of which have been decimat...
6.5K 387 34
The story's narrator: "Once upon a time, in a land far far away. In a kingdom not known to the modern world there once was a queen and a knight.... ...
248 18 3
This is a preview of my new book that was released recently on Amazon! If you're interested, take a look at the full version, now available on Amazon...
8.2K 469 16
Fourth in the Paladins Series: In the war between Vasconia and Gascony, something big is beginning to stir. In the course of finding what it is, a sp...