Sacrilege (Theo Raeken) [2]

georginayay által

❝ She wears strength and darkness equally well; that girl has always been half goddess, half hell. ❞ With The... Több

epigraph
part one
playlist
hell
crème de la crème
grandeur
foray
gift
ordinary life
invitation
static
canaan
arrival

smoke

6.8K 155 201
georginayay által

He outstretches his arms and I run into them. I feel burning tears running down my cheeks as he presses my head to his chest. "You're here," I murmur. "You're actually here."

I don't care about anyone else in the room, I don't care about everything that's happened today. He's here. Theo is here.

It's all worth it: the Wild Hunt, Canaan, losing my powers. None of it matters. None of it matters now that Theo Raeken is in my arms. I put my hands on his cheeks and kiss him. He feels familiar and he smells the same as always.

"I can't believe you're here," I tell him, still millimetres from his face.

"Me neither," he says, end enveloping me in his arms again. This is the way it was meant to be. This is the way it was always meant to be. Me and him. Always me and him.

He loosens his arms around me, his hand lingering on my lower back. The feeling still gives me butterflies — even after all this time.

I just want to hug him and kiss him. Nothing else matters.

And then the others come in.

Theo tenses up as Malia comes in. "Malia," he says. "I hope you're still not upset over the whole shooting thing."

Her eyes glow blue and she lunges at him, slamming her fist into his face over and over. "You don't have to stop," Theo mutters.

"Trust me," she says. "I won't."

His eyes fly open as if he didn't realise Malia was beating him to a pulp. I try to pull her away but it doesn't work without my powers. "Scott!" I beg.

Scott pulls her off. I rush to Theo. "Malia," he says. "That's enough. Slow down. He's going back in the ground."

Over my dead body.

"No," Liam says. "You can't. He remembers Stiles."

"Scott remembers Stiles," Malia scoffs. "Lydia and I remember Stiles!"

"The Dread Doctors know all about the Wild Hunt," Liam insists. "He could help us."

"Or he could kill us," Scott says.

"He's my responsibility," Liam says. "Noshiko gave me the sword."

"Our responsibility, Liam," I say. "I'm with you."

"Of course you are," Scott says. "You literally willingly went into hell."

"It's so awkward when Mom and Dad fight," Theo sighs sarcastically.

"Shut up!" Liam and Scott yell simultaneously.

"You both are right," Hayden reasons. "If Theo tries anything, we'll send him back to the Skinwalkers. But for right now—"

"He goes back now," Scott says.

"Except Liam's the one with the sword," Theo says.

There is a chorus of shut ups.

"Can you give me a second alone with Theo?" Malia says.

"Why?" Hayden demands.

"So I can kill him."

I gasp. "Excuse me!"

"Okay, look," Theo begins. He sounds worryingly unbothered. "I know that there's mixed feelings all around. But I might be your only option to stop the Wild Hunt."

"Let's kill him," Malia declares.

"Or we can not," I retort.

"He's evil!" Malia protests. "Just because you think that you're going to marry him and have a diabolical pack of chimera babies, doesn't mean we should put our lives on the line."

"Look," I begin. "For one, that sounds like a great future to me. Two, I didn't risk my life and lose my powers for this."

"You're right," she says. "You didn't. You lost your powers for something that didn't even work."

"But he's here!"

"Here and ready to murder someone!"

"I'm not going to murder someone," Theo sighs. "Listen to Arden."

"I'm not going to listen to a homicidal powerless siren widow," Malia says.

"Listen, Malia," I say. "I know, you know, we may not agree on our opinions on our favourite dastardly lab werewolf over here, but the past is in the past. Now, if you could let your girl Arden over here, you know, not be lonely forever... that'd be great."

"He killed Scott!"

"It was one time!"

As if on cue, Scott and Liam re-enter the room.

"I can put you back in the ground anytime," Liam tells Theo.

"You also need a transformer that can handle five billion joules of electricity," Theo says. "I know where to find one and I can show you how it works. I'll tell you if Malia promises not to kill me."

Although Malia growls in response, Liam reassured him. "She promises," he says.

"No, I don't," she corrects him. We're really gonna do this? Trust him?"

"You got a better idea?" Scott asks.

"I've got an idea," she says. "It may not be better. But at least it's not him."

***

"This was a bad idea," Liam says, tugging on the chains that are connected to Theo's wrists.

"It's not a bad idea," Hayden says.

"It's a terrible idea," Theo cuts in.

Liam jerks the chains forward, causing Theo to almost fall over.

"You know," I say, stepping over a small ditch in the grass. "This is pretty barbaric. I mean, chains? Really? Not even handcuffs? Sometimes I wish this was all a bizarre dream."

"I told you where the transformer is," Theo says. "I told you how it works. I don't have to be there when it all blows up."

"It's not going to blow up," Hayden protests, stopping in her tracks. "They ride the lightning. We can use it to catch one and keep them there until we figure out what they want. It's a good idea."

"You're trying to catch a ghost rider," Theo says. "A million things can go wrong. Terrible idea."

"The bad idea was bringing him back," Liam declares. "Scott's right. This is a mistake."

"You took a risk," Hayden replies softly. "We took a risk." She takes a step forward, and somehow I know exactly what's about to happen. "But you did the right thing. I believe in you."

They lean into each other and kiss. I look over at Theo and knit my eyebrows together. He smiles and rolls his eyes. "Uh, guys," I call over to the two teens gobbling each other's faces off. "Yeah, Theo and I are still here. And watching kids make out wasn't on our to do list today, believe it or not."

"You guys want us to leave you alone?" Theo asks, raising his eyebrows. He tugs on the chains, hauling them up. "Oh, right. I can't."

The low, husky growl of thunder sounds. "We should go," Hayden says, her eyebrows slightly furrowed.

They tug Theo along, making their way up the trail. I look at the metal clasped around Theo's wrists. I sigh. "Being able to spend time with your significant other?" I snipe, eyeing off Hayden and Liam. "I can't relate."

"It's a precaution," Hayden says.

"It's a...buse," I correct.

We finally arrive. Hayden pushes open the old, wooden door. A small layer of dust and dirt gets disturbed as we walk into the centre of the room.

"You did it," Hayden gasps at Mason.

He smiles a small, sheepish grin. "Of course we did it."

As Liam reached to undo Theo's chains, I take a look around the room. It's small and bunker-like, with ivy veining the walls and a chain link fence cutting off part of the room. A few tools and old trinkets are scattered around the room.

I feel an arm snake around my waist. "You scared?" Theo asks.

"About what? This place or catching a Ghost Rider?" I ask, smiling slightly. It feels better than anything to have him here with me again. Even so, I can't help but feel a pang of sadness that there hasn't been any time to just stop and talk about everything. This is Beacon Hills, I remind myself. There's no time for anything.

"Either," he says.

I shrug. "Maybe."

He trudged over to a large electronic device in the corner and flicks it on. "This is enough to catch the lightning," he says. "Even in successive strikes."

"Mason, are you sure this is gonna work?" Scott asks, his jaw clenched.

"Well, whatever is in the cage is shielded from any outside electrical current," Mason says. "So the Ghost Rider won't be able to use lightning to escape."

"We put a lightning rod on the roof and connected it to that conduit cable," Corey says. "Drawing the Ghost Rider to that spot."

"We can't send him directly in because the cage neutralizes electromagnetism," Mason explains. "Lightning will just bounce off it. Which is the same reason it'll hold him in."

"If the Ghost Rider lands here, how do we get him in the cage?"

"We have to lure him in," Corey says.

"Bait?" Scott says, astounded.

"I'll do it," Hayden volunteers quickly. She glances at Liam. "It'll be okay. I'm faster than you."

Mason continues, explaining his elaborate plan in detail and with exaggerated movements. "As soon as Hayden's out, Scott and Liam, you guys close the gates, and then I'll put down a barrier of Mountain Ash."

"I'll be on the roof to take down the rod," Corey says.

"We'll be on the lookout for any other Ghost Riders," Mason says.

"What do you think?" Liam asks, looking up at Scott wide-eyed and hopeful.

"I think it's the best idea that we have right now."

"As long as everything goes perfectly and he doesn't escape and kill us all," Theo adds.

"And your transformer works and the whole place doesn't catch on fire," Hayden says.

"And there isn't a catastrophic solar flare," Mason points out.

I wasn't feeling particularly much like dying today, but I doubt anything I say would change their plan.

"Let's do it," Scott says in response.

"Okay," Mason says.

He switches on the transformer and it sparks to life, an ear splitting hum sounding through the room. Bright, short bursts of electricity run through the fence and I take a step back instinctively.

"Yep," Theo murmurs. He lets out a small chuckle. "Definitely scared."

"I'm not scared," I retort.

"You sure about that? Last time I heard, you were human," he says.

"Last time I heard, that was because of you," I say.

He smiles. "I was in hell, Arden. It's not my fault my good looks are still ruining your life even from another dimension."

"Oh, shut up," I say, I give him a playful swat and he catches my wrist in my hand. He pulls me to him and gives me a small squeeze.

"I've been waiting so long just to do that again," he whispers. "You wanna talk about it?"

"What?"

"Losing your powers," he says. "Do you want to talk to me about it?"

I shrug. "What's there to talk about?"

"How you're dealing," he says matter-of-factly.

I shift uncomfortably. "There's nothing to talk about. I have no powers, whatever. I'm just trying to stay alive and keep you alive."

He smiles slightly. "I don't think you're in a position to be trying to keep my alive, seeing as you're a powerless human," he says. "I'm going to protect you, Arden." He holds up his pinky finger with a grin on his face. "Pinky promise."

I lock my finger into his, my mouth upturning without me willing it to. "Okay," I say.

He tilts his head to the side. "You know, this is the first time I've seen you smile in a while," he says. "And you look beautiful."

"They're coming!" someone says. I recognise the voice as Scott's authoritative tone. "Get into place."

While the rest of us retract to the shadows, Hayden stays planted firmly in the middle of the room. Even though I have to be completely honest — she does annoy me most of the time — I can't help but admire her for being brave enough to put herself on the line for Stiles.

When the Ghost Rider appears in a flash of lightning, he locks his glance on Hayden and follows her as she bolts through the shut off area. Liam closes the door just as she gets out, and Scott attempts to close the other end.

The Ghost Rider latches on, and Liam and Theo rush to help him, but to no avail. Still struggling against the Ghost Rider, Scott's eyes turn to a deep red, and with a growl, he hauls the door shut.

He stands back, the Ghost Rider's gun poised in his hand. The Ghost Rider attempts to summon a lightning bolt, but fails.

"It worked," Liam says.

"Yeah, it did," Scott replies.

"We did it."

The Ghost Rider raises both of its arms and lightning shoots through the chain link fence. "Now what do we do?" Theo asks.

"We try and talk to him," Scott replies.

Liam steps forward. "Mr Ghost Rider," he says, before correcting himself. "Mr Rider, we'll let you out, if you give us our friends back."

"Everyone back," Scott corrects. "Give everyone back."

As always, Theo takes up the role of devil's advocate. "This is the plan?" Theo asks.

"Wasn't the plan, but this was part of the plan," Liam whispers back.

"It's okay," Scott says. "Look, we've got him trapped, he can't get out. We just need to find out a way to communicate with him."

"Maybe he can't hear us," I say, folding my arms over my chest.

"Maybe he speaks an ancient language," Liam says.

"Maybe he only responds to pain," Theo says.

"Or fear."

"Nothing's gonna scare this thing," Theo points out. "Look at him. He's a walking corpse."

"Something's wrong," Liam declares. "Why'd he stop trying to get out?"

At that moment, the Ghost Rider lets out a beastly sound between a growl and a gasp.

"Did he just call for backup?" Theo asks.

"When Corey made the Ghost Rider visible at the party, another one showed up," Liam says.
"We have to figure out how to talk to him."

I pace around before deciding a comfortable place to sit during my imminent death would be leaning on an old table. "Here's an idea: we get out of here, take a one way ticket to Paris, leave everyone else to fend for their selves and live a long and happy life eating lots of cheese and croissants and never seeing our friends the Wild Hunt ever again."

"We still don't have Stiles," Scott says.

"Stiles, Stiles, Stiles," I say, shaking my head. "For all we know, the Ghost Riders could be taking our long lost friend to an afterlife full of beach parties, hot chicks and lots of tequila." Everyone narrows their eyes at me. "What? It's possible."

"Unlikely," Liam corrects me.

"Possible," I reply.

A tall figure stands in the doorway, and when he steps through, I see it's Parrish. I stand up, curious, as he walks towards the Ghost Rider and stands in front of it, staring it down. The Ghost Rider takes a step forward and seems to acknowledge him.

"That's progress," Theo whispers.

"Ask him how we get everyone back," Liam instructs him.

"Tell us how we get everyone back," Parrish tells the creature.

To my surprise, the Ghost Rider responds with a chorus of low, growling sounds.

"What was that?" Liam asks.

"Did he say something?" adds Scott.

Parrish hesitates. "He said hellhound."

Theo cocks an eyebrow. "Is that a good thing?"

"What do you want from us?" Parrish asks the Ghost Rider.

The Ghost Rider speaks clearer, but still has an echoey, raspy breathe to his voice. "We are the Wild Hunt. We hunt forever. Those who hunt with us hunt forever."

"What does that mean?" Liam asks, panicked. I clench my fists at my sides, prepared for attack, even though I'm not sure from what.

"Tell us what you want," Parrish says.

"We are the Wild Hunt," the Ghost Rider continues. "Those who hunt with us hunt forever."

"That clarifies things," Theo sneers.

"What do we have to do to get everyone back?" Scott asks. "Do you want something from us?"

The Ghost Rider raises its head and looks at Scott for a while.

"Why's he looking at Scott?" Liam asks.

"He figured out Scott's the Alpha," Theo breathes.

"There must be something you want," Scott pleads.

The creature behind the fence speaks again. "There is only the Hunt. No one resists. No one escapes."

"If they can't be bargained with, we're gonna have to fight them," Scott declares.

"Suddenly my plan seems very appealing," I mutter.

"I'm coming for my friends," Scott continues, stepping towards the Ghost Rider. "I'm coming for everyone. I won't stop. I'll never stop until we get everyone back."

The Ghost Rider stares down the deputy, speaking to him in their otherworldly tongue.

"Parrish?" I ask, my voice jittery. "What's happening?"

"Scott," Liam breathes.

A circle of fire bleeds through Parrish's shirt, burning away the fabric and leaving a layer of ash on his skin. His eyes have turned the colour of fire.

"What is he doing?" Theo demands.

Parrish steps through the mountain ash, his eyes set on the Ghost Rider and his movements purposeful.

Scott widens his eyes. "He's gonna set him free."

Scott and Liam rush forward and try to push him back, but to no avail. Theo lunges at the hellhound, placing a hand on his shoulder. He flinches back and Parrish takes the chance to push Theo to the the ground.

I take a step forward as Liam and Scott struggle to hold him back. "We need to do something!" Liam yells as Parrish bares his fangs and embers emit off of his body.

I latch at his arm and close my hand around his bicep. "Stop, Parrish!" I yell. It's the least I can do. I repeat it, this time louder. "Stop!"

The word comes out echoey and distant and the hellhound freezes. He bares his teeth but does not resist. "Stop, Parrish," I say again. My voice is not controlled and shaky. It worked.

It actually worked.

"Arden?" Theo asks, shaking me of my reverie.

I nod at Liam and Scott. "Take him outside and make sure he doesn't come back in. Theo and I have this covered."

There's a thick, foggy smoke that smells of burning flesh coming off of Parrish as Liam and Scott grab his arms and haul him out. I look at Theo. "Go get the mountain ash," I say.

"You're—" he begins.

"Go get the mountain ash," I repeat.

I wipe a hand on my sweaty forehead and take a deep breath. It's back. It's all back. Theo bends down and fixes the line of mountain ash, hesitant to get that close to the Ghost Rider.

When Theo stands back up, he's looking at me strangely. With fear, almost. And then it comes to me. He's not looking at me, he's looking at something behind me. My body tenses up. "Come here, Arden," he says. His voice is uneasy.

I make a beeline towards Theo and when I finally look behind me, the man in the doorway is a familiar face.

"You been here the whole time?" Theo asks Mr Douglas.

Somehow I know straight away that my gut instinct was right about him. There was something weird about him.

"I couldn't stay away," Mr Douglas responds, but it's not the voice he taught me in.

He has an accent. Nothing seems to be adding up, except for the fact that something isn't right. Theo knows him. Not just knows him, but seems to be even acquaintances with him. And something tells me it's not because he teaches at Beacon Hills High.

"Maybe you should tell them who you really are," Theo says as he walks down the steps towards the Ghost Hunter. "Hauptmann?"

Mr Douglas looks at the Ghost Rider, not in terror or surprise, but as if he's found what he was looking for. I realise I should say something, but as I rake my mind for possible questions, it all becomes too much.

It's at that moment that my physics teacher's eyes turn a bright, piercing red.

Tufts of hair grow on his cheeks and gnarly, murderous fangs grow from where his normal teeth should be.

My bottom lip quivers. "Mr Douglas?" I ask.

He turns to us and I feel Theo panic beside me. Mr Douglas grabs my shoulders and hauls me to the side as he chases after Theo. I barely have time to react before Mr Douglas catches up to Theo and shoves his claws into his spine. "Break the barrier," Mr Douglas growls. He hauls Theo towards the mountain ash and I rush forward.

"Theo, don't!" I yell. I swing my arm up at Mr Douglas, but even with only one hand to fight with, he overpowers me effortlessly. He grabs my neck and I can feel my larynx being crushed under his rough, sweaty hands.

Theo shakily kicks the mountain ash out of skew and before I know, it I've been released. I clutch my throat as I watch from the ground as Mr Douglas lunges at the Ghost Rider.

He backs the Ghost Rider into the corner. "It's been a long time," he growls. As the Ghost Rider reaches for the whip in his belt, Mr Douglas flexes his claws.

The Ghost Rider lashes out the whip, but to no avail. Mr Douglas catches it with little to no effort. I can hear the sound of horses outside. Other Ghost Riders.

I watch as Mr Douglas sinks his teeth into the back of the creature's head. My breath hitches in my throat as I hear the sickening crack of skull and slosh of meat being torn into. I should be trying to get away, trying to get help for Theo and me, but I'm frozen.

I can't keep my eyes away as Mr Douglas pulls back, blood dripping from his lips in thick rivulets. His fingers dive into the wound, searching for something. I feel bile at the back of my throat.

His hand comes out holding a dark and bloody part of the brain. He pauses, and with a snarl, shoves the piece into his mouth.

And he eats it.

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

103K 2.8K 38
Now that Alyssa is a supernatural creature like her friends, she doesn't have to worry about getting hurt and not being able to heal. But she still d...
41.7K 1.3K 22
"Might just show everyone myself in all my fishy glory now." ˚✧₊⁎*⁎⁺˳✧༚ In which the trusty helper of Scott McCall discovers her secret and fall for...
201K 9.5K 58
[BOOK 4] "𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙙𝙤𝙣'𝙩 𝙝𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙣𝙜𝙚 𝙬𝙝𝙚𝙣 𝙞'𝙢 𝙖𝙧𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙮𝙤𝙪, 𝙨𝙤 𝙜𝙤 𝙖𝙝𝙚𝙖𝙙 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙨𝙖𝙮 𝙬𝙝𝙖𝙩'𝙨 𝙤𝙣 𝙮𝙤𝙪�...
62.1K 1.3K 41
After suffering from a brutal attack from her great Uncle on the day of the formal, Isabella Hale is done feeling weak. Isabella wants to be able to...