The Sun, The Moon and The Oce...

Av nicolerobinsaan

♡ranked #8 in selflove (omgomgomg) ♡ Escaping her distasteful home in the outback, Sophia Rollins seeks to st... Mer

author's note :)
extras
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
thank you so much!
HUGE ANNOUNCMENT
HELP AUSTRALIA

chapter four

1.1K 42 6
Av nicolerobinsaan

● above is a picture of Sophia as she drove her Jeep to Palm Cove, captured by Addison and then posted to her snapchat story ●

ADDISON HAD GIVEN me her number and sent me text message bubbles every five minutes after I had left the apartment that night. While the four of us ate the food, which was halibut pasta with spinach which Noah whipped us up, she had been swiping through her photo gallery while leaning against my elbow. She showed her exciting life at university and told an extensive story about each of the photos. Addison had talked to me as if she was my best friend since middle school and I really liked that about her. She made me laugh and as my laughter escaped my throat, I caught Cooper's lips pulling upwards. However, Noah frowned.

Noah had something against me and I couldn't put my finger on it. I had done him no wrong, the paint splatter was a thing of the past. At least to me it was. But I tried my best to ignore his short comments to me and disapproving eyes. 

I couldn't come to a decision if I wanted to join in on the "adventure" Cooper had spoken of the night before. I wanted to spend some time on the beach, get some money and paint. Although, I didn't know what the adventure was going to be. 

Apparently, I was not the one who was making that choice because at 9am the next morning, there was a loud knock on my door and a singsongy voice that rang, "Sophia!"

I groaned as I set down my coffee mug on my kitchen table. I looked down at my outfit, gray sweatpants and a black tank top. I wasn't ready to go, maybe that would be an excuse that Addison and Cooper would accept. Nonetheless, I got up and answered the door.

In front of me, stood Addison with her wavy hair resting on her shoulders. Rose gold sunglasses sat atop her head and her face was fresh. She wore blue jean daisy dukes again with only a black bikini top to cover her tan torso. On her left arm hung a beach bag full of towels, sunscreen and snacks. Next to her was Noah, who had his arms crossed like a little kid who was dragged to the store with his mom. He wore a blue t shirt and white swim trunks. And finally to the left of Addison was Cooper. 

Cooper wore a pink tank top that complimented his skin and black swim trunks with some white flip flops. He was wearing sunglasses this time, black ones like you would typically think a blind person would wear. By his hip sat Sydney with a vest around her body that read "Don't Pet Me Without Asking."

Cooper and Addison smiled as I opened my door but Addison grimaced a little when she laid eyes on me. "That's not beach attire!"

I thumbed my sweats and bowed my head in embarrassment, "I wasn't sure where we were going and when we were going, I don't want to make you guys wait," I said, hopefully dropping the hint I didn't want to go.

"That's fine, we can wait," Addison sprung. "I'll help you pick your bikini." Before I could object she passed through my door with Cooper and Noah behind her. Noah avoided eye contact with me. 

I tried to say something but Noah beat me to it, "Wow. What a mess."

He was talking about my artsy apartment. It was still the same as it was before, white sheets and spilled paints and easels with paintings on them. I was embarrassed but also upset that Noah said something so rude. Painting was my life and he called it a mess.

Addison slapped her brother in the shoulder to which he winced and glared at her. "Is it bad?" Cooper asked, "I just smell paint." 

Addison shook her head, "Nope. Sophia wasn't kidding when she said she was an artist," her fingers ran across one of my finished works. It was a basic palm tree island in a purple sea with a pink sunset and lilac clouds. I had planned to sell it the next time I went out to the beach. "Sophie," she murmured, calling me a nickname. "These are beautiful."

I blushed, "They're not that great, but thank you. These aren't my best work." It was the truth, all my best paintings went under my pop up and sold for thirty dollars which people ate up. 

"Well jeez, you're best must be amazing."

I smiled and thanked her then cleaned up a little bit so the boys could sit somewhere while Addison helped me with picking a suit like she had suggested. We ended up choosing an olive green bikini and regular jean shorts to wear. I decided that this trip was probably for the best, I did want to see  Carins more up close and personal and to finally go somewhere where I can soak the sun on my skin and smell that ocean breeze. I took one last look at my artistic living room before walking out the door and we were off. 

I had offered to drive since I hadn't taken a ride in my jeep in over two weeks and the trio didn't seem to mind. Cooper called me a natural beach goer since I had a Jeep wrangler up my sleeve to which I chuckled. Addison directed me through the crowded streets to Palm Cove which was about fifteen minutes from our side of town. I glanced out the passenger window as we drove up the coast, I started to get excited.

I parked the Jeep and popped the back open letting Sydney jump down ready for Cooper to take her leash into his hand. Addison gleamed with eagerness as her eyes looked over the waves in front of us and declared that this is one of her favorite beaches to come to. Cooper commented, "Wow, it is a great view."

I cackled to myself.

But it was a great view. The sand was almost a perfect white and the sea was a beautiful light blue that I've never seen so up close before. I definitely felt like I was in a tropical atmosphere, where my worries could disappear and happiness can enter my soul with ease. This is one of the other reasons I escaped here to Carins, I was tired of the outback life. Too red, too hot, too close to family. 

We set up a little spot on the pearly sand and discovered that the beach wasn't as crowded as we had anticipated for a sunny Friday morning, but we didn't complain. The wind breezed through my brunette hair and I stretched my arms above my head for a stretch. I looked at my companions, Addison and Cooper were joking to one another and Noah was chuckling with them.

I thought I could get used to them, maybe even come to like to them.

"Do you surf, Soph?" Addison asked, to which I smiled at the nickname once again. I pulled my lip downward like it was being tugged by a hook and hulled my shoulders up, "Oh, its been about two years since I've caught a wave." 

"Think you can still ride, though?" she asked with hope in her voice as she scooped her own white board under her armpit. Although I was nervous to grab a board myself, I did. 

Addison and I walked side by side after we told the boys we'd be back in about ten minutes. The water reached my ankles and nerves started streaming through me, but I kept walking. I didn't know what was coming over me, at home if I was with any guy and I was told to surf, I would giggle softly and make up an excuse and say, "Oh, I'll just watch." But here I was, the sea up to knees and I was about to surf in front of two model material guys who had their eyes on me- well, one guy.

Before I knew it, my stomach rested against my surfboard and I paddled with my arms over a wave with Addison on my right. She caught the first one, effortlessly bouncing onto her feet and even cutting off the top a couple times before slightly losing her balance and letting the ocean take her in. She surfaced about fifty feet from where I was floating and held up a hang loose on her hand to which I wooed at.

It was my turn.

I glanced over to where Cooper and Noah were lounging on the beach and their faces glanced in my direction. I waited for a good wave to arrive, which took about two tries, then I knew it was time. As the crest grew taller, I turned towards the shore and paddled frantically before trying to stand up. I barely gained my balance before it crashed and the board beneath my feet began to bump with the movement of the water but I controlled my stance.

I lasted just as long as Addison did, but did no cool tricks like she did. I was still proud of myself. She slapped my hand with a high five when we were united and we both got about two or three more waves until we decided to head back.

We washed up pretty far from where the boys were set up and we began to walk and talk. It was casual conversation until my curiosity got the best of me.

"Addie," I spoke, using the name Addison insisted on me using, "Has Cooper always been blind?"

She nodded her head as if she expected to hear that question, "Since birth. He's been tapping that stick since he could learn to walk. He's been quite a trooper with it all these years." She smiled at the memory and I raised my eyebrow. "Yeah, Cooper was mine and Noah's neighbor back in grade school, so I've known that boy for awhile."

I softly grinned at her, her face appearing like she was visiting her past. And judging by her expression, her childhood was good one. 

But Addison's pleasant face evaporated into a pitiful one as she continued, "Even though back then things were good for the most part, Cooper had a very rough patch for about five years of his life." I quizzed in response, "Why?"

"Well," Addison sighed, her shoulders slumping and her pace slowing. "When you lose your six year old sister when you're only nine years old, life has got to be hard."

My heart skipped a beat. Cooper's sister died when he was barely old enough to grasp the concept of death. I couldn't imagine how awful that must have been and emotionally scarred he probably became. 

I kept asking questions, "That is terrible. How did she pass?"

Addison's expression scrunched up as she remembered, her body looked like it was in defense mode. "It's quite a story actually. Cooper doesn't like to talk about it but if you're going to be hanging around us more, I guess you deserve to know."

I nodded in anticipation and with a heavy heart. She tapped my arm to slow my pace so I was in unison with her steps. "His family went to the beach," Addison began. "It was just a normal family getaway one weekend. Cooper and Ava," her breath was cut speaking the name of Cooper's sister, "they were building a sandcastle pretty far from their parents. Cooper told Ava to go get some water so they could make mud."

It became silent and my pulse beat fast, knowing this was going to end tragically. "Cooper was only nine, Sophia." Addie choked, heartbreak in her voice. I began to feel guilty for asking. "He was so young, he couldn't see anything, he didn't know what could happen if he didn't pay attention." Silence again and Addie sniffed a little. I rested my hand on her shoulder.

"Ava went to go get the water for the bucket, water for her big brother who she loved so much," she whispered painfully. "She got too curious though. She followed the shore into the ocean. Then a wave came."

My jaw clenched and my breath stopped. 

"The wave took Ava with it." 

The amount of pain and ache my heart felt was most likely nowhere near how much Cooper's chest pounded when he didn't hear his little sister come back to him. I wondered how hard he panted, calling out her name. I imagined his parents running to him, a little boy who didn't know the consequences. I thought about the drive home, was it complete silence? Did his father turn on the football game on the radio to fill the emptiness? How much did his mom cry? How many tears did Cooper shed? Did he sleep that night? 

My heart was overwhelmed. But I understood Addison didn't want to tell Cooper that I knew, so when we approached the pair, I tried my best to compose myself. Addison did too. I would have to apologize to her later tonight. 

I looked at Cooper differently. But when Noah cracked a joke, Cooper's wide smile popped onto his face. So genuine, so happy when you first look at it. He was so full of delight, I never felt a bad vibe coming from him. I did from Noah but that was a different story. Cooper just seemed like he cherished every moment he had, like sitting on that beach with his friends. If I came from a past like his own, I could never act the way he does.

I sat down next to him and he chuckled, "Those were some pretty gnarly waves, Sophia. I was amazed when I saw you ride 'em!"

I forced a laugh.

-------

AUTHOR'S NOTE

first of all, i apologize for the late update. but school does come first my friends. but also THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 100 READS THIS IS INCREDIBLE I LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH.

this chapter is shorter than others but I knew I needed to give you guys an update before Wednesday night, so here's a short but significantly sad chapter. i hope you enjoyed it!

thanks so much for reading! remember to comment and vote! i'll talk to you guys next week, thank you so much for your support!

nicole robinson

Fortsätt läs

Du kommer också att gilla

2M 91.6K 38
✨✨Shortlisted for 2017 WATTYS!✨✨ Losing any human sense sucks. But for Everett North, losing his vision at eight years old made his life a living n...
19.1K 1.6K 40
**A Romance, Teen Fiction, and YA Featured Novel** Worlds collide when a formerly overweight teen befriends a blinded football player and is forced t...
1.4K 119 20
One plane ride could change your life. SOPHIA RANDALL likes her routines. She plans everything, down to the very last second. And Sophia is content t...
3.3K 821 42
A 90's Friday Night Lights meets Fifty Shades, only the town is the sadomasochist and the two young lovers their pawns. July Elizabeth Edwards is stu...