A Lady's Guide to Courtship

By greenwriter

"A love not shown is more painful than a love rejected." SHE IS DETERMINED... The town of Wickhurst sees Ysa... More

I. Ysabella Everard
II. Everything Starts at the Theobald's
III. Let the Chase Resume
IV. Caught
V. Turkey Night
VI. A Seemingly Friendly Advice
VII. A Lady's Guide to a Hunting Party
IX. Rages
X. An Invitation
XI. Meeting Cinderella
XII. First Kiss
XIII. A Night Out
XIV. A Lady's Guide to a Carriage Ride
XV. The Climb
XVI. Behind the Opera
XVII. Friendly Encounters
XVIII. Fallout
XIX. Bertram
XX. Drops
XXI. The First Sight
XXII. Wants
XXIII. A Lady's Guide to a First Dance
XXIV. Lemonade
XXV. Hypothetical
XXVI. Ey, Guv!
XXVII. Simply Ysa
XXVIII. Welcome to Wicked Wickhurst!
XXIX. Twin's the Fury
XXX. A Lady's Guide to Liars
XXXI. A Lord's Guide to Courtship
XXXII. Scandal in the Garden
XXXIII. Lady Weis
XXXIV. Lost
XXXV. Brothers and Sisters
XXXV. A Lord's Guide to a Carriage Ride
XXXVII. The Mistress
XXXVIII. Meddling
XXXIX. A Couple's Guide to Courtship
XL. A Guide to a Wedding
XLI. A Lady's Guide to Life
Author's Note
His Lady in Breeches Preview

VIII. Into the Lake

70.2K 4.5K 538
By greenwriter

Dearest Lady Weis,

I do not remember many happy times with my father. He never allowed me to do anything I wanted. It was always about staying in school and more studying afterwards during holidays. I rarely had time to even walk around the estate. I could count still the times I visited the gigantic hole in Bertram before my father died and Thomas had to take over the title.

Freedom, for me, is paramount. I never wish to part from it.

But there are people who would show me that putting your freedom in the hands of another is freeing in many ways as well. Would you agree to that?

Yours,

William

*****

"Em..." Ysabella uttered, reaching for her sister, but Emma shook her head and handed back Wakefield's letter.

"I am greatly disappointed, Ysa." Emma's eyes were brimming with tears. "But we shall talk about this once we are alone. Lindsay is here, so is Levi and Tori." Without another word, Emma lifted Lindsay in her arms and left the bedchamber.

Ysabella's shoulders shook as the tears continued to flow.

She had done this to herself. She had caused this.

And she'd have to face it.

*****

Emma was still not talking to her, although she never let anyone take notice of it. She still went with Ysabella and Aurora to the picnic and the hunting party. Tori had decided to stay as Lindsay would not stop crying when they were about to leave.

"I have been quite busy in the new apartment," Aurora opened up inside the carriage on their way to the woods.

"I am glad that they have found another apartment for you, Aurora," Emma said. "I have to admit that the previous one was quite horrid."

Aurora's face reddened. "I know."

"Do not fret," Ysabella said, taking Aurora's hand. "Em merely wanted to make a point. Your previous apartment was fine, but I hope this new one is better. You do deserve something nice. Will your parents be visiting soon? We would love to meet them."

Aurora shook her head. "Mother is ill, I fear. I had suggested that I go home to take care of her but Father is quite adamant that I finish the season."

Ysabella and Emma did not make any more comment. They were aware that Aurora's parents were not very much like their own. They merely wished that if Aurora was to have any difficulties, she would let them know. There was so much about her family that she never shared. They only heard stories here and there, but no more than that. The young woman's family was a stranger to them, making them even more curious.

"Do you have any plans on how you could gain Lord Wakefield's attention this time?" Aurora asked in a teasing tone, but quickly stopped when she saw Emma turn away with a grim look on her face and Ysabella looking quite guilty.

"Later," she mouthed to Aurora who nodded in understanding, uncomfortably shifting in her seat, clearing her throat.

"Fine day today, is it not? Perfect for hunting," Aurora later said, changing the subject. "Not that I know how to hunt, of course," she hastily added.

Emma did not offer a reply. Ysabella tried to prolong the conversation by sounding enthusiastic but it was no use. The mood was not just right for anything.

Emma was still obviously angry and disappointed.

*****

Levi was already waiting for them with Nicholas, Maxwell and Ralph when their carriage arrived.

For some reason, the presence of their brothers somehow lifted Ysabella's spirit.

"I am not aware that Miss Randolph is also coming along," Nicholas noted as the three women climbed down the carriage.

"Well, she is. Why do you care?" Ysabella uttered, tone filled with meaning.

Nicholas merely shook his head, causing Ralph to laugh out loud. Being the sixth Everard child, Ralph was closest in age to Ysabella and Emma. That did not mean, though, that they had a loving and sweet relationship. It was actually the opposite, with their childhood filled of numerous pranks and banters that nearly caused their mother to go mad if their eldest brother, Benedict, did not make the necessary interventions every time.

"You are their current project, are you not?" Ralph asked Nicholas, eyes glimmering with mirth and mocked disbelief.

"If you have not been very busy being a loyal Town Guard, brother, you would have already realized the fact," Emma snapped.

"I do take my work in ensuring peace and order around Wickhurst quite seriously, sister, unlike the two of you who seem to have decided to cause yet more trouble."

"You do realize that we are listening," Nicholas dryly uttered, motioning his head at Aurora. "Miss Randolph and I, however, are old and wise enough to realize what Ysa and Emma are up to and we shall not fall victim. Am I correct, Miss Randolph?"

Aurora opened her mouth to answer but Levi beat him to it.

"You might want to hold that thought off for a while, brother," Levi whispered to Nicholas.

"Unlike you and Ben, Levi, I am quite confident," Nicholas snapped, turning away.

Their ever cynical brother, Maxwell, snickered. "Quite a challenge, eh?" he asked the twins before he left and followed Nicholas.

"The hunt is about to begin," Levi said, turning to face the three women. "You don't venture into the hunting grounds, understand?"

"Simply enjoy tea and cakes," Ralph said in a mocking tone.

Ysabella and Emma threw him a look.

"What? Women could not—"

"I know someone who can beat you to a pulp, brother, and she is a woman," Ysabella interjected.

"Now, let us not talk about that," Levi said, giving them a look of warning. He was with the twins when they both made friends with a female bandit and her friends and he had made them both promise to never share the story of Alex and her bandit family to anyone else.

"Present this woman before me and I shall gladly fight her with naught but one hand," Ralph issued in challenge.

"Mayhap that day will come," Emma said. "Do not wish for it, Ralph, I tell you."

"Stop," Levi said, voice rising. "Do you see the picnic there?" he asked, pointing to the right.

Aurora nodded and said, "We shall stay there and never wander into the hunting grounds."

"Quiet refreshing to talk to someone with sense for once, particularly one who knows how to follow the rules," Ralph uttered before hastily running away to join Maxwell and Nicholas, avoiding a blow from Emma.

"Remember to stay out of the hunting grounds," Levi warned once more, escorting the three ladies to the picnic where they were greeted by wives and sisters of the other lords who had decided to join the hunt.

After setting up their picnic, Aurora sat on the ground to look up at the hole above, relishing on the heat of the sun sifting through the leaves.

Wickhurst was amongst the towns that enjoyed the presence of a wooden area. The trees had grown to such a number that it had now become a famous spot for hunting games. Deeper into the woods were wild animals the men would hunt as a sport. And although many of the women would wish to know what lay beyond the safety zone of the woods, they knew fairly well that it was dangerous to venture deep without proper protection.

"I believe the lake is not near the hunting ground," Ysabella said to Aurora.

"You wish to go there?"

"Levi said not to go—" Emma started but Aurora had already straightened on the ground with excitement.

"I have never been to any form of land water," she said, eyes glimmering.

"Would you like to go?" Ysabella offered.

"I am not coming," Emma insisted.

"Since when have you become so obedient, Em?"

"Since I nearly fell off that tree," her sister uttered, pointing at the same tree they climbed years ago. If not for Benedict, both of them would have taken quite a serious fall.

"Very well," Ysabella huffed, standing to her feet. "I shall satisfy Aurora's curiosity about the lake. We will not go near the hunting grounds, I promise."

"Just be certain you are coming back alive," Emma snapped, opening their picnic basket.

Ysabella and Aurora walked to the lake, Ysabella leading the way.

"I did not see Lord Wakefield," Aurora noted.

"Oh, he is here. I saw him enter the woods with Nicholas."

"I wonder why I did not see him."

"Because he did not wish to be near me, that is," Ysabella countered.

"I do adore your patience, Ysa, truly I do. My perseverance would have already waned in merely months, but yours stays the same after many years."

She did not reply. Her constant letter exchanges with Wakefield were to be blamed for such perseverance. She felt closer to him now than ever before and the thought of quitting seemed out of the question.

"Why is Emma cross with you?"

"You noticed that, didn't you?"

"It was quite obvious, yes."

"I hid something from her. I did something that I had promised I shall never do again. It is my fault. I shall have to think of a way to make it up to her."

"I am sure that she will get over it once you do. You have a gift of not making people be angry at you for long."

"Say that to Ralph and you shall have to suffer listening to a long litany of my sins," she said with a laugh. "We are here," she said to Aurora.

Her friend looked up and her eyes widened. The lake was not as big as others around the Town, but it was still a lake, rarely seen anywhere.

"It is quite beautiful," Aurora said, looking up. "Does the sun cause the water to sparkle?"

"Yes, I believe so. It reflects the light." She turned to Aurora in surprise when her friend suddenly bent down to remove her shoes. "What are you doing?"

"Dip in, of course. Do you truly believe that I would simply look at it after twenty-four years of having not seen anything like it?" Aurora said with a giggle.

"I do not think it is wise, Aurora," Ysabella said. "But if you merely dip, I would not tell anyone. Just do not venture farther. I have not tried how deep this lake is."

"Oh, do not worry," Aurora said, taking off her stockings. "I do not know how to swim. I simply wish to feel the water up to my ankles—or knees." She gathered her skirts higher. "Are you not coming?"

"No," Ysabella uttered. "I am not in the mood to get wet."

Aurora enthusiastically smiled and ran to the edge of the lake. She dipped her toes first before exclaiming how great the water felt. Ysabella watched as her innocent friend submerged both feet into the water, her red hair almost orange under the light of the sun above.

"Stay close, Aurora," she called out, looking over her shoulder. There was no one around. "I think that is far enough!" she cried out when Aurora walked farther, the water now above her knees. The skirts of her gown were half-drenched.

"What?" Aurora asked, turning around to face her while walking backwards into the water.

"Stop! That is enough!"

Aurora laughed. "It is fine, Ysa! Join me! The water is marvellous!"

Ysabella walked nearer. "Stop, Aurora. You would not want—oh, goodness!" she exclaimed when her friend stumbled back and lost her balance, falling off into the water. She closed her eyes and shook her head. "Come back here! You are drenched and my brothers would probably kill me if—" but Aurora was still in the water, her arms flailing above her.

Ysabella's heart skipped a beat.

Aurora was drowning.

"Aurora!" she cried out in panic. She started to strip her outer gown and shoes until she was wearing naught but her drawers and chemise.

She saw Aurora's head come up for air before she was once more dragged under the water. "Help!" she cried as she ran toward Aurora. "HELP!"

She jumped in into the water and trudged toward her friend. The water was not deep, but her friend, new to this type of water and with her heavy gown, was in total panic. And it was not helping at all.

"Aurora! Aurora! Calm down!" she tried to say as she neared, careful not to cause her friend to float even farther, or worse, grab her and cause them both to drown.

As she struggled to come closer to her panicking friend, someone brushed her aside and caused her to lose her balance. Ysabella fell backward into the water. She struggled back on her feet in a state of panic, blood rushing inside her. Her eyes widened in surprise when she saw who was trying to pull Aurora out of the water.

Wakefield.

His large form hauled Aurora up and out of the water and over his shoulder like Adonis himself. Her friend was sputtering water all over him while Ysabella simply stood there, her feet rooted under the shallow waters, entire undergarments drenched, and mind in utter disbelief.

He carried Aurora back on dry ground and while Aurora choked for breath, alive and unharmed, Wakefield whirled to find her still standing in the lake.

The look on his face made her stop cold, her mind blank.

He walked over to her, water splashing at his wake, and grabbed her bare arms, harshly pulling her closer as he glared down at her.

"What the bloody hell were you thinking!" he shouted at her, eyes murderous.

Oh, sweet Mr. Jones, Ysabella thought with horror. Now what?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1M 136K 41
THE BANDIT She merely meant to steal and get away with it. She did not mean to find a dying woman and be chased for it. She merely meant to help. S...
3.4M 181K 43
When Margaret Everard is asked to investigate the man she once loved for the murder of the Prime Minister, she knows he's innocent, until clues start...
4.5M 197K 35
"Deliciously captivating! It's the perfect amount of laughs, love and drama. You won't be able to put this book down!" - Grace K @ HQ. When Agatha be...
143K 10.1K 26
[COMPLETED] Two centuries. Two love stories. One holiday season. 1 8 6 7 Every summer since she was eight years old, Nora leaves her home in New York...