Between the Lines

mattersofcontent

The Harry that Sutton meets isn't the same Harry that everyone seemed to know and love. This Harry holds an e... Еще

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Notes/Ideas

Chapter 3

531 25 2
mattersofcontent

*Note: For those who might be confused, this story is being told in 2019, Harry is 25 years old.*

...

Sutton raises her eyebrows at the shirt Maddy holds in her hands, a small white tube top with barley any material to the piece of clothing itself. She discretely shakes her head, and turns towards another rack of clothing.

"You have to wear something to show off that American bum of yours." Maddy tells her, scanning through the racks near her, with a smile. Sutton rolls her eyes, and just keeps pretending to be interested in the line of shirts in front of her. She isn't even one-hundred percent sure if she wants to go to this club opening tonight, but she was to scared to mention anything to Maddy. They have been fighting a lot over Sutton's lack of social activity, and she didn't have the energy to have the same argument again.

The week seemed to slip by quickly, and Sutton had run out of excuses to avoid this dreadful club opening. Maddy has already purchased her outfit for tonight, so she was only shopping to find an outfit for her friend.

"Mads, I have stuff at the house. Worst comes to worst I can borrow something or yours, I don't really need to buy anything new." Sutton reminds her, and after hesitating for a moment, Maddy agrees and they leave the shop, and head towards Maddy's car in the front parking lot of the mall.

The whole car ride home they both don't speak to one another, only because Maddy has her music playing extremely loud with all the windows down. Sutton never understood the joy of drawing attention, people always admired (or just stared at) the commotion she caused from afar, but it usually made Sutton uncomfortable. Maddy sings along to the loud and repetitive music playing through the stereo, while Sutton tries to come up with ways to get out of going tonight.

...

"Well hopefully you won't have to worry about any rides until tomorrow morning." Maddy answers Sutton with a wink, implying that she will sleep at some random guys house like Maddy does most nights.

All of Maddy's friends let out high pitched laughs, but Sutton just rolls her eyes and tugs on the hem of her dress. She personally thought it was offensive to even wear something as short as what she was currently wearing, but all of Maddy's friends seemed to be on the same page with the apparent dress code, and she was to embarrassed to argue in front of them.

Sutton observed that Maddy's friends kind of resemble the popular girls in school, who obviously have graduated, but still need that constant attention in any form they can receive it. Which typically leads them to living a life that only consists of clubbing and some type of modeling. Maddy wasn't completely like them, but Sutton could see how they were all in a friend group.

All the girls turn when the front door of the flat opens, and Sarah lets out an obvious huff of annoyance when she sees the group of tall and slender girls in her kitchen. Sutton sees Maddy slightly smirk, and she quickly thinks of an escape plan. She looks at Maddy, as if to say 'I'm going to go talk to Sarah for a bit,' and Maddy nods. Sutton needs to act quick, it was already ten and the girls were probably going to leave soon.

Sarah walks straight past the cluster of people in the kitchen, a scowl on her features, and Sutton quickly turns and follows her into her room.

"You look different." Sarah observes, and she turns to see Sutton closing the door.

"Yeah, exactly why I need your help. I really don't want to to this fucking club opening, Mads is basically forcing me against my will, making me wear this which should really be illegal to even wear in public." Sutton complains, pointing to the dress barley hanging on her body, and Sarah's eyes lighten.

"I don't understand how you put up with her." She mumbles to Sutton, who sighs in response.

After a moment of silence, Sarah speaks up.

"Okay, what do you want me to do?" She looks at Sutton curiously.

"I-Honestly I don't care, make something up, anything to get me out of it. " Sutton says, her eyes pleading. Sarah nods, and they both turn to the door.

"Okay, I think they are leaving soon." Sutton tells her.

When they hear the girls start to pull their coats on and disperse from the kitchen, Sutton and Sarah leave the room, and walk out to the kitchen.

"I need to go back to my office and grab some work, so Sutton is going to drive me." Sarah says coldly, and Sutton wants to slap her own forehead for the pathetic excuse. Maddy begins to laugh.

"I'm pretty sure you're capable of driving yourself." She says, and Sarah shakes her head.

"I had a few drinks, she has to drive me." Sarah says vaguely.

"Sutton has been planning on going out for a while, just get a cab and stop bitching." Maddy says harshly, then looks to Sutton. "Come on love, were leaving." She says.

"Um," Sutton sighs, looking at Sarah then back to Maddy. "Look Mads, I know you spent a bunch of time on me tonight, but I'm just really not in the mood. I'd rather help Sarah out." She said, thinking that honesty was the best way out of this.

She wants to add that Maddy's friends scared the living shit out of her and she wants to rip the dress she was currently wearing off her body, but decides against it. Sutton could feel all the eyes on her and Maddy, and she feels the heat rise to her cheeks.

"You've got to be kidding me." She responds, looking back to her friends.

"I'm sorry. You all know you will have more fun without me, just go. I'll be-" Sutton starts to say, but Maddy is quick to interrupt her.

"How are we even supposed to hang out if you never fucking leave the flat? Leaving once and a while for work, which is at a library, doesn't count. " She raises her voice, her accent making her tone more threatening. Sutton's eyes go wide. "I'm trying to help you, and get you out of the house but your so damn persistent you can't even wear a cute dress like that without pulling it down every five seconds!" She continues, stepping towards Sutton. Maddy's friends started to gather outside, the door was still open but they stood in the hall anyway. Sarah went back to her room, probably having seen and participated in enough arguments with Maddy to last a life-time.

"It's not my fault I actually respect myself and I don't like to sleep with a different guy every week!" Sutton yells back, finally finding her voice. "Just because I don't want to go out all the time doesn't make me 'boring'!" She yells again, and Maddy closes her perfectly shadowed eyes in frustration.

"Whatever Sutton, at least I enjoy myself." She puffs, obviously offended by Sutton's comment. "I don't know what's happened to you, I know you have been through a lot with Jack and everything, but Sut that was a long time ago. I don't know where this weird, prude girl came from, but when the fun Sutton comes back, let me know because I don't want to have anything to do with this one."

With that, Maddy turns on her heel and stomps out of the flat, slamming the door behind her, leaving Sutton in the middle of the living room with a dress that is riding up her ass and a pair of green-blue eyes that begin to fill with tears.

She walks to her room, and slams the door shut. She tears the disgusting dress off of her body, and pulls on a pair of leggings on, and slips sweater over her head. She bends down to grab the pair of moccasins at her door, and slips those on her feet as well.

She refuses to cry over someone like Maddy, it simply isn't worth her time.

After pacing around the flat, and wiping the ridiculous amount of make-up off her face, she almost knocks of Sarah's door to get some kind of advice, but decides against it. Instead, she grabs her car keys and leaves the flat.

How dare her, bringing up jack, she thinks to herself.

Sutton almost feels bad for herself as she finds that she is driving to the library, and doesn't even realize it until she is in the turn lane. Maybe Maddy was right, she has been spending all her nights in a closed book store instead of going out with friends like a normal twenty-four year old should.

She pulls her car into the closest spot to the door, grabs the master key and goes inside. For some reason the smell of the old books is like this new drug to her, and the second the scent filled her nose she sighs and feels a wave of calmness take over her.

Sutton wonders if she is going to come here every night for however long she stays in London. A long time, she assumes. Ever since she got the job a week and a half ago, she has come here almost every night, and if she was honest with herself she really didn't want that to change.

When Sutton settles down, she lets her emotions go. She only feels comfortable letting the slow tears run down her cheeks because she knows that she is alone. She knows it's healthy to cry and let out all of the problems she has had to deal with.

What she really doesn't like about crying, is that after a while you begin to feel bad for yourself. She hates getting to that point because she hates self-pity, so after a while she gets up from the check out counter and roams the now very familiar rows of books.

She walks through the isles, finding the section with all old and untouched books. Sutton enjoys reading novels that were written decades ago, it fascinated her for some reason, to know that there was a whole other way of life hundreds of years ago.

She grabs a random book from the shelf, something she did every night she came here, and discovered a very short book she had never read before.

Sutton preoccupies the table that she usually does, and uses her phone as a light source as she begins to read. The book is short, so Sutton hopes to finish the whole thing tonight. So far, it's about a girl named Sally, who presumably lived in the 1800's by the way the author described the character's surroundings. Sutton begins to read about how she meets a boy named John, who Sally instantly fell for. But, as all stories go, there was a large problem that kept the two apart. Their different religious beliefs made their families rivals, and as Sutton kept reading, she couldn't help but feel sorry for Sally, and the continues hardships she is put through.

Two hours later and twenty-one chapters into the surprisingly interesting novel, Sutton hears the jingling noise of a key in a lock. She looks at the door expectantly, and when it opens, nerves run through her as she spots a big mop of curls in the door way, and a near empty bottle of bourbon in his hand.

A/N:

Ohhh god drunk Harry is my favorite. Please let me know what you think of this? I will probably continue with this story, I really enjoy writing it.

Also, is the third person perspective confusing? I kind of like it, because you can get the characters feelings with out changing POVs, so let me know?

Thanks for reading! And comment/vote if you can xoxo

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

Open Case File [COMPLETED] Joy

Подростковая литература

4.4M 245K 188
Now available in paperback on Amazon! Though the last chapter is read that doesn't mean the story is over. One shots for A Secret Service including...
Young & Turnt . ms.notwhoyouthink💕

Подростковая литература

238K 7K 51
we young & turnt ho.
339K 13.3K 140
"𝙳𝚛𝚞𝚐𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚏𝚞𝚌𝚔𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚖𝚘𝚗𝚎𝚢 𝙸 𝚌𝚊𝚗 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚋𝚒𝚛𝚍𝚜 𝚜𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝙳𝚛𝚞𝚐𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚏𝚞𝚌𝚔𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚖...
Steamy Ones Vile Vampire

Подростковая литература

87K 314 13
As the title says