The Obsidian Arrow

Bởi CraigAPrice

After a great victory in the elven city of Sudegam, Searon finds himself at peace where he can finally rest... Xem Thêm

The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 1
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 2
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 3
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 4
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 5
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 6
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 7
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 8
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 9
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 10
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 11
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 12
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 13
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 14
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 15
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 16
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 18
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 19
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 20
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 21
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 22
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 23
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 24
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 25
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 26
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 27
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 28
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 29
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 30
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 31
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 32
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 33
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 34
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 35
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 36
The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 37
The Obsidian Arrow: Epilogue
The Obsidian Arrow: Author's Note
The Obsidian Arrow: Editing
The Crimson Claymore: Free for Christmas!
Reviews

The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 17

11.5K 334 30
Bởi CraigAPrice

Chapter 17:

[Searon’s POV]

            Searon stood with his men near the back entrance of Sudegam waiting for his chance to strike down some draeyks. He knew they were going to come from the south entrance and already had everything coordinated to deflect an attack. He made sure to let Aliqua know of his thoughts regarding their attack and he was correct assuming that the elves were only concerned about the north side. Luckily Aliqua listened to him and placed scouts in the trees on all sides. It was no surprise to Searon when a scout came back from the treetops of the south to gather the rest.

            It was a waiting game now as the spell casters were able to knock out as many as they were able before being stopped. It was only a matter of time and Searon suspected Arria would be amongst the attackers and figured they wouldn’t last long. It did surprise him how long Aliqua and the other spell casters were fighting them outside the city before they came dashing back. Hopefully it was effective enough and not hurtful to them and he only hoped that they didn’t lose too many. However, the look on Aliqua’s face was solemn when she looked at Searon.

            “Benedict, warn Andron and Etherond of the army’s entrance to the city.” Searon whispered.

            “Sir, they have not entered yet.” Benedict responded.

            Within moments a scourge of draeyks and daerions came crashing through the stone walls and Searon pulled out his claymore ready to charge. Benedict beside him looked worried now and his face was in shock. Searon chose him to be his runner as he was young and fast, but also because of his lack of experience he hoped that this would cause less injury for the young man.

            “At once Sir Searon, my apologies.” Benedict shivered.

            A smile found itself on Searon’s lips, not only for the reaction of Benedict but because his claymore was about to taste blood. He rushed at a draeyk pushing his blade hard against the creature’s small sabre. His face was close to the draeyk’s lizard skull which snarled at him. The breath of the creature was foul beyond any stench that Searon could think of, and it caused him to take a few steps back to await the creature’s next attack.

            Now another draeyk stepped forward and snarled at Searon. He was too busy noticing the large horns traveling from its snout up to its forehead to care about a snarl. Most of the draeyks he had faced before now had slight nubs in different areas of their skull, but never as defined as this. In fact the more Searon thought about it the more he noticed it amongst the draeyks in front of him. It was as if they had been mutated to be stronger, or at least look fiercer. A few even had facial horns below their chin which made them even more intimidating. There were even draeyks with slight discolors of spots on their underside which consisted of their neck, chest, and down to their belly.

            As the two draeyk came at him he angled his claymore effectively to block both blows with one strike. He backed up and kicked dirt into their eyes but it only affected one. He took the opportunity to throw his new throwing knife at the draeyk which caught it in the throat before it crumbled to the ground. Searon was quite sad when the knife didn’t reappear in its sash and wished he still had his magical throwing knife but knew it was doing much more good in Starlyn’s hand. He only hoped that she was doing alright.

            The bearded draeyk rushed at Searon with an attack so quick and fierce that Searon was only able to block the first two strikes and dodge the third before it slashed his arm. He backed up and felt his arm sting as he looked at it. The draeyk skillfully hit a spot in between plate mail attachments, but luckily Searon had chainmail underneath which protected it from being fatal. It would still leave a bruise and Searon was becoming enraged.

            He ran at the draeyk this time delievering three quick strikes which was quite a feat for a heavy claymore. The first two strikes were blocked with impressive skill, but the third succeeded in chopping off the draeyk’s left hand. The hand circled in the air and Searon had to duck to avoid the sharp nails from the hand scratching his face. When Searon stood back up the draeyk did something that he didn’t expect, sent a kick at him. He had only a second of view of the large black foot with four deathly long sharp nails coming at him before it hit him square in the jaw.

            Searon was enraged now as he lay on the ground six feet back from where he once stood. His men helped him to his feet which he responded in grabbing a throwing knife out of one of their sashes. He looked at the draeyk who seemed to be chuckling and glared at the creature before launching the knife into the creature’s skull. The offal clicking noise laugh of the draeyk ceased as the handle stuck out next to a horn on its skull. Another second and the draeyk fell backwards crashing with several more.

            “Sir Searon! How do you fare?” An excited voice chirped.

            Searon turned around to see his friend Andron standing there with his helm secured. There was a smile on the warriors face as he pulled out his sword and quickly struck down a draeyk trying to pass.

            “Shouldn’t you be with your men?” Searon asked as he blocked a few attacks from an incoming daerion.

            “And miss out on battling alongside you? Not a chance!” Andron exclaimed, “Besides, you were right. They are only attacking the south side. The only ones up to the east are the separated ones you’ve been letting through. I’ve decided to give you a hand preventing them.”

            “Welcome to the party then!” Searon cried.

            Searon sliced off the daerions left horn followed by his head and kicked the body into another pack of daerions closing in. He raised his sword and tapped it to Andron’s and the clinging of metal rung throughout the front lines.

            Elven horns rang throughout the city now. The terrific battle cry of the elves, which was probably the first time the instruments had been touched in many years. He noticed Anaela and her archers had closed in as arrows were flying in front of him killing several of the draeyks and daerions before they reached him. She was an impressive archer as every one of her arrows sunk into the skull of an enemy. He could always tell which ones were hers as they had green feathers and obsidian arrows. The rest of the elves used white feathers and steel or stone arrows. They were almost as impressive with their arrows as she, but not quite. Searon still saw plenty of steel arrows hitting the same enemy or some barely missing their target and bouncing across the ground.

            The humans’ defense formation was that of a triangle causing the draeyks and daerions to attempt charging down the two sides to break through. Several times they tried to break the front of the triangle, but with both Searon and Andron at the front it was a stronger front than they thought.

            Searon was quickly learning the weaknesses and strengths of this army and was able to dispatch of his enemies in shorter time especially with Andron’s help. The two worked well together with such skill that dulled the other swordsmen around them.  Searon would often weaken them and slash their sabres out of the way for Andron to deliver the death blow. It was such teamwork that the draeyks and dearions lacked being the selfish creatures that they were. Searon prided himself in teaching his men to work together in battle, and many did behind him which kept their losses minimal. He always enjoyed training with his men, and often did so in two against one battles.

            The next draeyk that attempted to step up to Searon’s blade was blasted away in shock by green energy. A draeyk quickly took its place only to be blasted by orange flame which caught it and several around it where it crashed on fire. Searon smiled as he turned to see the wizard rushing to battle with a large grin holding his zylek in the air.

            “Would you like some mashed potatoes with your fried lizard?” Karceoles chuckled.

#

[Karceoles POV]

It was a scary thought how blasting something with magic brought such a cheerful mood to the old wizard. At least he kept his eagerness to battle at bay and only unleashed his pleasure when it was necessary. Karceoles was still good as far as his morals were. It enraged him to find his old friend taking pleasure in slaughtering humans and elves.

            The magic in which Karceoles saw Zergiel using seemed darker as well and he was no longer considered a wizard by any means. Once one left the magic of good and began magic of evil, especially to not return to understanding of right and wrong, they became a warlock. Finally Karceoles had to admit that Zergiel was no longer of the wizard order and now his morals and dark magic revolved around that of a warlock. It was hard for Karceoles to admit because once he found Zergiel to be a good friend.

            It was this frustration that he took out in magic to his enemies and brought a smile to his face. His sarcasm was only part of it as that was how he could cope being outside of the battlefield. Now that he was out and about blasting away draeyks and daerions it made it such a better day.

            It would be more efficient to just use simple spells to blast draeyk and daerions away into the crowd and Karceoles knew it, but simply put it wasn’t fun enough for Karceoles. He liked the thrill of crafting exotic spells and watching either sparks or flames. There was something about flame that he couldn’t deny enjoying. He smiled again as an orange fireball emitted from the end of his zylek and collided with the skull of a daerions catching flame to all of its flesh but left its horns intact falling into the ash.

            Battle was always enjoyable around Searon as it felt the wizard was is similar company to enjoying the battle. Searon enjoyed it more for revenge… at least he used to. Karceoles knew that once he brought the young human out of his depressed and fragile state that he would open up to the man he’s always been. He was a champion, a hero of battle, a captain or general if you will. 

            Karceoles stood close to Sh’on decided to cooperate with his plan of teaming up their magical abilities. Although he couldn’t be fully controlled by a mage because he still had to have fun. What was fighting for your life without any fun? Each creature Sh’on skillfully blasted back Karceoles decided to shoot a bolt of orange lightning at. It was humorous watching the horror on its allies faces as they saw the chaos. Chaos is a battle’s best friend.

            “This is not what I meant by helping.” Sh’on warned.

            “Ah… but help it is my friend. Was barbequed lizard not on the menu for tonight?” Karceoles asked.

            “No… it most certainly was not.” Sh’on laughed.

            “You don’t know what you’re missing out on then. It’s an exquisite taste.” Karceoles winked.

            Turning back to the battlefield he noticed how effective the elven archers were doing with their arrows and suddenly got an idea. The arrows seemed to be destroying most of the creatures while the magic stood second and by the blade was third. “Let’s change these odds, shall we?” Karceoles whispered.

            Holding up his zylek he chanted words inside his head causing the tip of his zylek to catch aflame. With a smile he shifted his zylek forward letting small sparks of flame scatter through the air and caught each airborne arrow aflame. With every arrow that struck its target the creature caught aflame and to those arrows that struck into the ground, a small fire emancipated the surface. They looked to be impenetrable for a defense now.

            “It’s about time you’ve come up with an idea that’s worth a spark!” Sh’on yelled.

            “You’re just mad that I came up with it and not you. Do not fear my friend; these good looks of mine do come with a brain!” Karceoles laughed.

            Sh’on smiled and began following up on the wizard’s ideas and began catching his own arrows aflame, although there were much less green arrows than orange. He could only aim for one arrow at a time as a mage. Having a zylek and more power was definitely a wizard’s feat Sh’on wouldn’t mind having. It was a good thing that Sh’on was much quicker than Karceoles though as he was still able to get a good amount of fiery green arrows lit. There wasn’t an arrow unattended and soon Sh’on changed his tactic from fire to ice. With ice arrows penetrating skin it froze the creature’s solid creating barriers the others had to find a way around.

            Karceoles noticed the lit rage eyes of Arria who was easily slashing humans down one by one on the west side. He could feel her stare bare deep into his soul. A stare of pure anger and he knew she was coming up with some kind of counter. He only feared what it was and that they would be ready for it.

#

[Anaela’s POV]

It was quite impressive that the wizard came up with such an idea… especially the wizard she was looking at. Anaela stared in disbelief as her arrows caught flame causing more havoc among the invading army. From all the details she’d heard about the wizard he seemed to have no sense, especially with all the remarks her friend Starlyn told of him. He seemed a fool in brown robes with a long thick stick. It was quite nice that he actually had some skill though, especially during this battle.

            She watched in awe as her arrows changed from orange to green as the mage took over the magical effects of her arrow. Now she watched with a smirk as it froze draeyk and daerion alike solid. With such effects she studied her targets a bit more upon releasing an arrow making sure to hit specific areas which rendered more than one creature frozen. She also fired a few arrows creating a barrier in front of Searon to help protect him. She didn’t know why she felt the urge to protect him but it was there, hidden beneath her emotions.

            It was working well for a while until she noticed Arria’s figure approach the other side of the battlefield. At first the undead elf was busy slaughtering down humans and elves alike by sword, but now she seemed to see where her attack was failing. She was running straight for the archers. Anaela quickly changed her focus towards Arria, but her flamberge held a blackish purple glow and deflected each arrow shot. If there were to be anybody who was quick enough to dodge and block an arrow it was definitely Arria.

            It was now fear that played at Anaela’s emotions. Arria was coming in too quick and she wasn’t being stopped. Even with the changed focus of dozens of elven archers she still charged in at full speed. There was no mistaking that this was Starlyn’s older sister. Her cunningness matched Starlyn’s beyond any other.

            She was gaining territory on them and Anaela signaled for the archers to scatter creating more difficult targets. Yet, it did not seem to matter as Anaela suspected, the only target Arria had in mind, was her. She closed within a meter and Anaela quickly shelved her bow and pulled out her sword, the emeralds shining in the silver hilt.

            It was a futile attempt of self-defense though as Arria tackled Anaela to the ground. Through the rush Anaela’s sword drops to the ground feet out of reach and clanks loudly before coming to a rattling stop. Desperately she looks to the comfort of her sword, but Arria is already standing and she kicks the sword even further out of reach. A gentle smirk finds its way on Arria’s cold face as she prepares for the death kill. Anaela took a large gulp and closed her eyes.

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

2.5M 18.6K 59
The brave warrior Searon is haunted by the deaths of his wife and children at the hands of the savage reptilian draeyks, who are on a bloodthirsty ra...
52 0 1
The world’s old Gods lie dormant, imprisoned for centuries in a timeless rift. For many years they have accepted the fate of their actions, yet the...
1.4K 53 21
My mother disappeared when I was merely five years old and I was alone. I cried everyday until I wandered into the forest and met my best friend, Pri...
1.4K 105 29
Kaitra feels a bit out of place. One day, the bejewelled dagger her parents give her takes a mind of its own and transports her to Yuragwyn and to t...