The One I'm Not (Twenty One P...

Door createdoubt

It's like breathing in as much air as you possibly can, and not wanting to exhale it all. Holding it in, how... Meer

Joshua Dun
Tyler Joseph
To Meet Tyler
To Meet Josh
To Become Friends
Three Lines
A Person Or Thing That Is Doomed Or Cannot Be Saved
Dollhouse
Why won't you speak?
To Meet Blurryface and A Pack of Gorrilas
Twenty One Pilots
Real Families
To Become Best Friends
A Start
Christmas Angel
A show with Bubbles
うれし
Bear
Help
Two - Piece
Ichthus
To Lose
To Win
A Metaphor At Hand
Personification Of Tyler
Facing The Dark
Meaning
Inspiration
Regional At Best
Ambiguity
Author's Note
Sequel

We All Wear Our Masks

1.1K 59 45
Door createdoubt

It was four 0'clock in the morning when Josh was woken by a text.

[Tyler]: I think we should wear masks of some sort. For the first few songs. For big shows. Maybe small shows too. Message any masks you research.

[Josh]: That could be sweet. I'll research.

Josh was confused on why Tyler texted him since he was on the couch next to him but followed through with his thought. They both exchanged some mask ideas and planned to look for some in the afternoon.

__________________________________________________________

After Tyler was done with his morning college classes, it was finally time for the bro adventure and Tyler and Josh started it off by going mattress shopping. They tested out the mattresses and eventually found two cheap but fair mattresses for their rooms. Next stop: the local thrift shop.

They walked in and were overwhelmed by how much there was in there.

"If you get lost just shout my name." Josh said looking over to Tyler with a scared expression.

"No worries, I'll do so. Just stick by my side." Tyler said as they started wandering through the store.

They found many things in that thrift shop.

A huge shirt with their home state Ohio on it.

A coconut bra wrapped around a shark. Tyler called it a 'coconut shark' and Josh broke down laughing in the middle of the store.

They were looking at the hat section when something caught Tyler's eyes. He wandered off from Josh and picked up the item he was looking at. It was a blue ski mask. It was exactly what he was looking for with the masks. Wanting to show Josh he called his name out

"Josh Dun!"

Josh came to Tyler.

"Okay, I didn't mean it literally." Josh said.

"Sorry, but I think I found a mask." Tyler said showing him the ski mask.

"A ski mask? It's pretty cool, but wouldn't people think we're going to like, rob them, or something?"

It's a stupid mask.

No one will get the concept.

"It's a mask, it doesn't have to represent that."

"Is there another one?"

They looked around and found a red ski mask.

"If you really feel like these are the masks then let's go for it, but why masks Tyler? I know it's something to make us stand out or to give an unforgettable experience, I get that, but knowing you it means more than that."

He was right, these masks would hold something much more meaningful than that.

They sat down on the bench in the hat section.

"You see, last night I was thinking about what happened and I started writing a new song about it and well here, just read the lyrics first."

Tyler took his journal out from his coat pocket and handed it to Josh.

We've turned our hands to guns, trade in our thumbs for ammunition,
I must forewarn you, of my disorder, or my condition,
'Cause when the sun sets, it upsets what's left of my invested interest,
Interested in putting my fingers to my head,
The solution is, I see a whole room of these mutant kids,
Fused at the wrist, I simply tell them they should shoot at this,
Simply suggest my chest and this confused music, it's,
Obviously best for them to turn their guns to a fist.

I'm trying, I'm trying to sleep,
But I can't, but I can't when you all have,
Guns for hands, yeah.

"Tyler, these are great. My word." Josh said handing Tyler's journal back to him.

"That's all I have so far, but I was thinking about why it so easy for me to do that and why was is so easy for you to do that. Then I started thinking if it was it easy for others too. That maybe we all have the ability to hurt ourselves... does that make sense?" Tyler asked.

"No, I totally understand that, but the masks?"

"I, I shouldn't say I but, I want to try to create something that's a bit more... faceless, that can represent a group of people or have people relate to it. Because we're not alone right? We can't be the only two people suffering like this, so maybe with these masks it could show that the people who listen to us can relate by having a mask of their own or something like that. Like we all wear our masks right? We could and we can take them off, but only when we're ready and these masks can prove that."

"That's a great idea for this band, I love that. Maybe we should get other masks too." Josh said getting up and looking around.

"Like this, I saw this earlier." Josh said picking up a white full face mask.

"It's not as hardcore as a ski mask but maybe we could use it too."

"Thank you Josh. Let's get both!"

They paid for their masks and Tyler and Josh left with a full sense of pride with their band. When they got to their house they told Mark all about their idea and Mark absolutely loved it and he had some news as well.

"I booked you a gig in Kentucky and also a spot at the Ichthus festival."

"What!?" Tyler and Josh said at the same time.

"It's a good opportunity, I advertised it too so no worries, it shouldn't be a complete sell out."

"How are we going to get there? When is it? Will I still be able to attend my classes?" Tyler asked worriedly.

"On Friday. We can drive there Friday morning, get ready, perform the first gig. Then Ichthus is on Saturday and Sunday. Drive there, perform, drive back Monday morning."

"Okay. Mark, how did you manage that?" Tyler said breathing a sigh of relief.

"I emailed about a hundred people and they were the ones who responded. Also I was thinking about filming you guys, sorta like a documentary for your album would that be okay?"

"That would be sick!" Josh said.

"I think that would be really cool." Tyler added in.

"I'll upload in on the 'Twenty One Pilots' YouTube page." Mark said.

"By that way, what's the album name?" Mark asked curiously.

"Do we even have an album name?" Josh asked looking at Tyler.

"I, um... I was thinking it could be called 'Regional At Best.'" Tyler said hurriedly.

"Regional At Best. I like that." Josh said.

"It's settled then. Regional At Best. I'm going to start working on the sorta documentary!" Mark said walking to his room.

"I better go anyway, I have my date with Jenna." Tyler said getting up.

"Have fun! Tell her I said hi!" Josh said scrolling through his phone.

Tyler walked to his car and drove off to Jenna's.

____________________________________________

It was a lazy date for Tyler and Jenna. They laid in a nearby park talking about Jenna's little trip, and the business with the band. It was a pleasant afternoon. Everything was smooth sailing until Jenna asked

"Can I borrow your jacket? It's sorta getting cold."

That's not an abnormal thing to ask and a normal person would say 'Of course here you are!' but after last night, Tyler was hesitant.

"Did you not bring a jacket?" He asked trying to divert the conversation.

"No, I didn't think I needed it, but silly me."

Tyler had no choice. Either this or lose Jenna. Which seems extreme but that's what his mind was telling him.

You'll lose her either way.

She'll hate you if you don't give her your jacket for being a rude jerk.

She'll hate you if you do and she sees your scars and thinks you're a real freak.

Which you are.

A freak.

"Tyler?" Jenna asked worriedly.

"Huh? Oh, yeah sorry." Tyler said.

He took off his jacket trying to distance his left arm away from her. She was on the right of him, so it made things a little easier.

"Thank you." Jenna said putting his jacket on.

"Of course." Tyler said putting his left arm behind him out of Jenna's view.

"Is everything alright?" Jenna asked judging his body language.

"Yeah, everything's fine. Tell me more about your trip." Tyler said looking away from her.

"Tyler, look at me." Jenna said demandingly.

Tyler looked at her, staring into her beautiful blue eyes.

"What's wrong?" Jenna asked worriedly.

"What do you mean?" Tyler said not wanting to admit anything.

"Tyler, why are you hiding you arm from me..."

"I'm not, just supporting my body with my arm."

Yes, lie to her.

No one else needs to know the truth.

"Let me see your arm then."

Tyler didn't move his arm.

"Tyler. Joseph. I don't want to hurt you."

"I don't want to hurt you either..." He said in a hushed whisper.

"How could you ever hurt me?" Jenna asked in the most sorrowful tone.

"Being with me? Doesn't that hurt? I'm not exactly a great looking guy, I don't do much, I'm actually sorta... worthless..."

"Tyler, why would you say that about yourself?"

Tyler broke, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry, Jenna. You shouldn't be with a freak like me, I can't do anything right. Everything I do is trash. I'm, I'm sorry. I understand if you don't like me. I don't even like me. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Jenna."

WorTHLess.

She'SGO ING TOLE AVENO W!

YO URUINDE DIT TYLER!

He brought his arms up to his face and started crying into them softly.

"Tyler, please, look at me."

Jenna noticed the scars on his arms and knew what was happening.

"Don't let that voice inside you take over, look at me."

Jenna pulled Tyler's arms away from his face and Tyler looked at her.

"Listen to me, you are so wonderful. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me. That voice in your head can not control you and with this..." Jenna said running a finger over Tyler's left arm.

She continued, "Sometimes you gotta bleed to know, that you're alive and have a soul but you can't let that voice win, you are worth so much more, and I need you here Tyler."

She wrapped him in a hug and Tyler hugged back still recovering from his panic attack. They stayed like that for a while until Tyler spoke up

"Thank you."

"You're welcome, Tyler. Please, I'm here whenever you need me okay?"

"Okay, and I'm here whenever too. I need you, Jenna."

"I need you, too."

___________________________________________________

Tyler was replaying what Jenna said over and over in his mind on the way home after dropping Jenna off.

Sometimes you gotta bleed to know, that you're alive and have a soul.

When he got home, he wrote that down in his journal.

Sometimes you gotta bleed to know, that you're alive and have a soul.

He didn't know what else to write so he left it there with Jenna written in the margin. Maybe he'd come back to it someday. Though he knew someday was not today, he knew Jenna was someone he needed and to know that Jenna needed him back made him happy. It was something Blurryface didn't even fight. Maybe Jenna was Blurryface's weakness. Maybe, he needs help to take Blurryface out. Maybe one day, he'll be gone. Maybe, maybe, maybe.

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

35.6K 4.7K 199
Joshua Dun struggled with mental health. When his new friend Jenna introduced him to a certain artist that wrote songs about depression and suicidal...
337 4 26
I take requests :) All i've got to say is be careful reading these??? They can probably be pretty triggering and some may have happy endings and some...
5.6K 317 17
Josh had committed suicide, but he has a chance at redemption. Only if he can save another person from the same fate. He's given time back on Earth...
820 27 2
Things can't get much worse right? Wrong. Tyler doesn't even know what he has in store at this point. Things are falling apart, fear is rising in his...