The World's End | ONC 2024 ✔

Av anonymous_audrey

In the isolated world of Veridonia, three teenagers-Axelle, Wylan, and Keira-uncover dark secrets and face da... Mer

𝗔𝘂𝘁𝗵𝗼𝗿'𝘀 𝗡𝗼𝘁𝗲 | 𝗔𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗵𝗲𝘁𝗶𝗰𝘀 | 𝗪𝗮𝗿𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗴𝘀
𝗜𝗻𝘁𝗿𝗼𝗱𝘂𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻
ੈ✩‧₊˚ |𝟬𝟬| 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗪𝗼𝗿𝗹𝗱'𝘀 𝗘𝗻𝗱
ੈ✩‧₊˚ |𝟬𝟭| 𝗔𝘅𝗲𝗹𝗹𝗲 𝗛𝗲𝗻𝗱𝗲𝗿𝘀𝗼𝗻'𝘀 𝗡𝗼𝘁𝗲𝘀
ੈ✩‧₊˚ |𝟬𝟮| 𝗦𝗲𝗰𝗿𝗲𝘁𝘀 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗦𝗼𝗶𝗹
ੈ✩‧₊˚ |𝟬𝟯| 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗧𝗵𝗿𝗲𝗲 𝗠𝘂𝘀𝗸𝗲𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗿𝘀
ੈ✩‧₊˚ |𝟬𝟱| 𝗟𝗶𝗮𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗟𝗮𝗶𝗿
ੈ✩‧₊˚ |𝟬𝟲| 𝗖𝗿𝗶𝗺𝗲 & 𝗣𝘂𝗻𝗶𝘀𝗵𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁
ੈ✩‧₊˚ |𝟬𝟳| 𝗔𝘅𝗲𝗹𝗹𝗲'𝘀 𝗛𝗼𝗺𝗲 𝗥𝗲𝗽𝗼𝗿𝘁
ੈ✩‧₊˚ |𝟬𝟴| 𝗗𝗮𝗻𝗴𝗲𝗿𝘀 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗗𝘂𝗻𝗴𝗲𝗼𝗻
ੈ✩‧₊˚ |𝟬𝟵| 𝗪𝘂𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗛𝗲𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁𝘀
ੈ✩‧₊˚ |𝟭𝟬| 𝗔𝘅𝗲𝗹𝗹𝗲'𝘀 𝗦𝗲𝗰𝗿𝗲𝘁 𝗥𝗲𝗽𝗼𝗿𝘁
ੈ✩‧₊˚ |𝟭𝟭| 𝗣𝗿𝗮𝘆𝗲𝗿𝘀 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗣𝗿𝗶𝘀𝗼𝗻𝗲𝗿𝘀
ੈ✩‧₊˚ |𝟭𝟮| 𝗣𝗿𝗶𝗱𝗲 & 𝗣𝗿𝗲𝗷𝘂𝗱𝗶𝗰𝗲
ੈ✩‧₊˚ |𝟭𝟯| 𝗔𝘅𝗲𝗹𝗹𝗲'𝘀 𝗗𝗶𝗮𝗿𝘆 𝗥𝗲𝗽𝗼𝗿𝘁
ੈ✩‧₊˚ |𝟭𝟰| 𝗪𝗮𝘆 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗪𝗮𝗿
ੈ✩‧₊˚ |𝟭𝟱| 𝗙𝗿𝗮𝗻𝗸𝗲𝗻𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗶𝗻
ੈ✩‧₊˚ |𝟭𝟲| 𝗔𝘅𝗲𝗹𝗹𝗲'𝘀 𝗛𝗶𝘀𝘁𝗼𝗿𝘆 𝗥𝗲𝗽𝗼𝗿𝘁
ੈ✩‧₊˚ |𝟭𝟳| 𝗤𝘂𝗮𝗿𝗿𝗲𝗹𝘀 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗤𝘂𝗶𝗲𝘁
ੈ✩‧₊˚ |𝟭𝟴| 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗚𝗿𝗮𝗽𝗲𝘀 𝗼𝗳 𝗪𝗿𝗮𝘁𝗵
ੈ✩‧₊˚ |𝟭𝟵| 𝗔𝘅𝗲𝗹𝗹𝗲'𝘀 𝗔𝗿𝗿𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝗥𝗲𝗽𝗼𝗿𝘁
ੈ✩‧₊˚ |𝟮𝟬| 𝗔𝗶𝗺 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗔𝗻𝘀𝘄𝗲𝗿
ੈ✩‧₊˚ |𝟮𝟭| 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗦𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗹𝗲𝘁 𝗟𝗲𝘁𝘁𝗲𝗿
ੈ✩‧₊˚ |𝟮𝟮| 𝗔𝘅𝗲𝗹𝗹𝗲'𝘀 𝗟𝗮𝘀𝘁 𝗥𝗲𝗽𝗼𝗿𝘁
ੈ✩‧₊˚ |𝟮𝟯| 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗩𝗲𝗿𝗶𝘁𝗮𝘀 𝗼𝗳 𝗩𝗲𝗿𝗶𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗶𝗮
╰┈➤ 𝗘𝗽𝗶𝗹𝗼𝗴𝘂𝗲
𝗔𝘂𝘁𝗵𝗼𝗿'𝘀 𝗡𝗼𝘁𝗲 | 𝗔𝗰𝗸𝗻𝗼𝘄𝗹𝗲𝗱𝗴𝗲𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘀 | 𝗔𝗰𝗰𝗼𝗹𝗮𝗱𝗲𝘀

ੈ✩‧₊˚ |𝟬𝟰| 𝗔𝘅𝗲𝗹𝗹𝗲'𝘀 𝗠𝗮𝗿𝗸𝗲𝘁 𝗗𝗮𝘆 𝗥𝗲𝗽𝗼𝗿𝘁

116 15 364
Av anonymous_audrey

"𝚅𝚎𝚛𝚒𝚍𝚘𝚗𝚒𝚊 𝙲𝚑𝚛𝚘𝚗𝚒𝚌𝚕𝚎𝚜 𝟷.𝟷 - 𝙰𝚡𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚎' 𝙷𝚎𝚗𝚍𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚘𝚗'𝚜 𝚁𝚎𝚙𝚘𝚛𝚝 "

-ˋˏ✄┈┈┈┈

I should've worn more normal clothes today, but I was worried about the weather, as you can imagine. The lack of sunlight meant that the outdoors was cold, and this was my first time outside.

It was very cold. Mama was gone as usual and this time, there was nothing she could do to stop me from stepping foot outside. Baby Alissa was safely trotting along in her room, and she didn't mind that I had left the house for a few hours.

The market was bustling, and it was the first time I had seen so many people gathered in close proximity. I felt excitement and a little bit of apprehension as I followed Wylan and Keira through the crowded streets, my senses overwhelmed.

The sights, the sounds, the smells...everything was beautiful. My eyes widened when I caught sight of the mangoes.

I thought mangoes didn't grow in Veridonia anymore!

I skipped across to the mangoes as Wylan and Keira stopped in their tracks, their eyes widening in surprise. I ignored their call and made my way to the vendor.

"Hello, sir. Are these mangoes?" I asked, fiddling with my fingers.

"Girlie, what do they look like to you?" he snapped back, continuing to arrange the mangoes in neat symmetrical rows.

"Apologies, I didn't mean it that way. I had heard that mangoes didn't grow in Veridonia due to the Disease," I explained as several onlookers giggled. The vendor, whose face was resembling an angry toad earlier had now been laughing harder than ever.

"You just turned of age, didn't ya? Oh my days, these are genetic creations or somethin' like that. They're made in a lab using some real mango chemicals. Your ma and da didn't tell you? Did ya think the Dom Council was gonna let their magic fruit disappear? You funny!"

At this explanation, several other vendors around him giggled as some customers laughed politely. I felt an arm drag me back from the vendor, and I turned around to see Wylan with Keira behind him.

"Can you not disappear here? I get that you're excited but if you need something, ask us. Don't just go wandering off! We're not your fancy babysitters," Wylan chastised as Keira looked like she was trying not to laugh. Her eyes were looking down on the floor, and her lips were pursed.

I flushed with embarrassment, realizing that I had indeed acted recklessly. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to cause any trouble," I stammered, feeling slightly angry at Wylan's scolding.

I'm not a little child anymore, why does no one realize that?

Keira reappeared from behind Wylan. "It's alright. Just try to stick with us," Keira said, her tone surprisingly gentle despite her earlier irritation.

Despite the chill in the air, there was something warm about the market-goers, as if they were all united by the simple act of sharing space and time together. It was different from the loneliness I often felt in the confines of my house, with no one but Baby Alissa. For the first time in years, I felt like I belonged somewhere.

It was my first day here. There was going to be more to come. I could explore much much more.

The fact that I'm making a diary of this is funny. I mean, I know that I shouldn't really do that but I'm enjoying it. I read them out to Baby Alissa sometimes and she loves it. She probably doesn't understand half of what I say to her, nor will she remember it, but she likes it.

I kept wandering throughout the market, my eyes wide with wonder. Wylan bought some bread and swirly-looking things that he called pasta for the next week. He also invited Keira to come over one day for lunch.

He didn't invite me.

I didn't care. For too long, I had been confined to the safety and security of my home. But now, there was a whole world out there waiting to be explored. I did just that, but I consciously stayed close to Wylan and Keira who were chatting away.

"Wait, but don't they check your ID?" Wylan asked Keira as she shrugged.

"Not really. I mean, the year and the lie make sense to them. As long as you don't create trouble, they don't bother you. Plus, the Disease's restriction to children is more of a guideline. I used to live in a small shelter where they gave us abandoned kids some food, but it was closed down when I was sixteen," Keira explained to Wylan as he listened in horror.

"So, you just came outside when you were underage?" he asked, taking a sip of his mango juice from a stall.

"Sure, look. It was either starve or take a chance with the Disease out here. I would die either way, so I said, why not just take a chance? I don't think I'm immune. The age is just a guideline. I know many who scavenge for food even though they're fifteen. Some of them do get sick now and then but the effects of the Disease vary from person to person."

"Interesting," Wylan said shortly. "Do you remember when the Verids would just wear those huge masks while patrolling?"

Keira stopped for a moment. "I was very small then, but yeah. I remember it. Why?"

Wylan continued walking. "Just a thought. Why would they need masks unless they already knew something like the Disease existed?"

------

I stayed silent, Wylan and Keira continuing their conversation. They'd immediately hit it off. Both were seemingly comfortable around one another. Wylan was talking about his job and Keira was listening intently. I couldn't shake off the uneasy feeling. The mention of the Disease, even ever so casually brought back memories of Mama's warnings, Papa's disappearance and the day I got Baby Alissa. My fear was palpable, even if I pretended it didn't exist.

The market was slowing down its bustle now. I glanced around nervously, my eyes scanning the crowd. The faces around me were oblivious to everything else around them, lost in their own conversations and transactions much like Keira and Wylan.

Suddenly, a sharp voice cut through the chatter, sending a shiver down my spine. Just when I thought I'd gotten away with it too!

"Hey, you! Stop right there!"

I froze as the sound of heavy footsteps echoed behind us. Turning slowly, I felt a knot form in my stomach as I saw a group of Veridonian guards marching towards us, their usual mahogany sticks gleaming in the dimness. There had to be something else on those sticks.

Panic surged through me as I realized that I had been caught, and because of me, Wylan and Keira might get in trouble too. My heart pounded in my chest as the guards closed in, their expressions stern.

"Wylan stepped forward, adopting a defiant stance as he faced the approaching guards. "What's the problem, Sir Verid?" he asked, his voice steady despite the tremor of fear in his eyes.

One of the guards, one that I talked to me earlier fixed Wylan with a cold gaze. "Miss Henderson, you will need to be removed from this area," he said to me, his tone harsh.

Keira had disappeared amongst the shadows by now, her silhouette barely visible among the looming darkness. I hesitated, moving back from the Verids who were reaching out to grab me.

Wylan stepped forward simultaneously as I moved back. "We didn't mean any harm. We were just..."

But before he could finish his sentence, the guard cut her off with a dismissive wave of his hand. "It doesn't matter. Ms. Henderson, you aren't supposed to be here. Please go to your quarters before we inform your mother," he said, his voice cold and unyielding.

I felt a surge of anger rise within me as I realized that Mama was pulling my strings even after I had turned of age. I just wanted to spend a day outside with other people that didn't include Mama and Baby Alissa. Now, I was being punished for no reason. Because Mama didn't want me outside.

The first Sir Verid walked in front of the other two as Wylan apprehensively stepped back. He was getting scared of them too. Wylan gestured for me to go home I hesitated before finally giving in.

I exchanged a desperate glance with Wylan, who remained motionless.

Just before I could reply, a voice rang out from the crowd, cutting through.

"Stop! They're alright, Walter."

All eyes turned to the source of the voice, and my heart skipped a beat as I saw a figure emerge from the crowd, his face obscured by the shadows.

"You can leave Ms. Henderson here. Madame Henderson has confirmed it with me," the voice said, his tone commanding and authoritative.

The guards hesitated, their expressions uncertain as they glanced at each other. But then, as if coming to a silent agreement, they reluctantly stepped back, their gazes lingering on me and Wylan.

I watched in awe as the mysterious figure stepped forward, his features illuminated by the lonely streetlight. It was a man, tall and imposing with a stern expression that regarded us. He was donning the Verid uniform, one that my mama designed many years ago.

His dark cloak billowed behind him as he moved in large strides as the other Verids retreated back. He stopped in front of Wylan and me.

"You three are lucky," he said, his voice low and measured. "But you shouldn't be here. You're going to put the other two in danger."

He pointed at me.

"Excuse me, I haven't done anything that could cause any sort of danger," I explained as Keira appeared once again. She was invisible to the other Verids but for some reason, this man knew that she was there.

"You haven't done anything and your mother is trying to rebuild her reputation. Especially after what happened with your father. So, don't get in her way!" he snapped at me.

The afternoon had soon ceased to exist, and the market was long gone by now. The silence permeated the alleyway as the man stood there. What did he mean by Mama trying to rebuild her reputation? And what did my papa have to do with any of this?

"I'm sorry, I do not-" I began as he held up his hand to stop me.

"The evenings are dangerous for you. You should come with me. All of you. I'll inform Madame about you staying at my house for tonight," he stated and we hesitated.

Wylan and Keira exchanged uncertain glances, unsure of whether to trust this mysterious man.

"Fine, we'll come with you," Wylan said, his voice tinged with apprehension. Keira gaped at Wylan, who shrugged, gesturing to me.

I wonder what that meant.

The man nodded curtly, his expression unreadable behind the shadows.

"What are your names?" he asked, turning away from us and walking down the alleyway, his long cloak trailing behind him.

"Axelle. This is Wylan and that's Keira," I explained as Wylan kicked my shoe. "Ouch. Why did you do that?"

"First, you get us into this mess. Now, you're giving him our real names? What if he's going to report us? You'll be fine because you're a Henderson girl but us? What'll happen to us?" Wylan whispered angrily as Keira folded her arms in cold.

I felt a pang of guilt as Wylan's words sank in. He was right. I hadn't considered that. Before I could respond, the man turned back to us, his gaze piercing.

"Follow me," he commanded, his voice harsher than it was earlier. Few more Verids greeted this man and they whispered the salute.

"Long live Veridonia," he whispered to the passersby who bowed down to him.

"May we live as long."

With a sinking feeling in my chest, we followed him. We walked through the darkened streets, not knowing whether this was a trap or not. We had very little choice now.

Eventually, we arrived at a nondescript building tucked away in a shadowy alley, its windows boarded up and its doors reinforced with heavy metal bars. The man led us inside, the air thick with the scent of dew and dust as we walked through those corridors.

Finally, we came to a small room tucked away at the end of a long hallway, its furnishings sparse and its walls bare. The man gestured for us to sit as he disappeared into darkness, leaving us alone.

Wylan shot me a wary glance as we waited in silence. Keira sat with her arms crossed, her expression unreadable as she stared off into the distance.

"Well, this is how we die. Thanks a lot, Axelle," Keira muttered angrily as Wylan examined his surroundings. "I've known you one day, and you already managed to get me killed."

Wylan sighed. "Okay, let's not go too far. The worst he can do is report us."

Keira stood up angrily and scoffed. "Yeah, yous will be fine. I will be put in those mental facilities once they find out I'm underage."

The silence in the room was almost deafening. My heart sank as I realized what I had actually done. I thought that my first day outside would be exciting, but now it just seemed to be spiraling into a nightmare.

Wylan stole a glance at me. "Look, we'll figure this out together," he said, his voice gentle. "We've gotten out of a tight spot before, right?"

I nodded, grateful that he wasn't still angry with me.

I didn't know how long we waited there. Minutes felt like hours. Each creak of the floorboards, each distant sound echoing through the building, sent my brain into caution mode. I knew we were probably being watched.

Finally, the door opened again, and the mysterious man was back in the room. His expression was unreadable, as it always was. His gaze lingered on each one of us.

"You three are lucky," he said, his voice low and measured.

Cryptic.

"What do you want from us?" Keira demanded, her voice laced with defiance. "Why did you bring us here?"

"Hush, you. If anyone else found out that you were underage, that'd be a real catastrophe."

Keira closed her mouth, apprehensively staring at the man, the earlier defiance gone from her eyes.

"And you, " he pointed at Wylan. "Your father isn't a good public celebrity for the Verids to be nice to you."

Wylan started fidgeting with a broken piece of metal that was on his chair.

"Speaking of fathers," he glanced at me. "Your father isn't any better. Literally left Veridonia when the Disease came about, didn't he?"

Unlike Wylan and Keira, I didn't look down. I didn't fidget with anything. I didn't stare at him in apprehension. I stared at him, checking if he was joking or trying to find a way to coerce me.

"You know nothing about my father," I said, my voice shaking. He looked me in the eye and smiled for the first time and took a deep breath.

"I know everything about your father," he stated. "Your mother is trying to build the trust back with the Dom Council. Your father left along with hundreds of children. He kidnapped Veridonian children and took them to the outside world."

"Who told you that?" Wylan asked.

"Boy, I am a Major Verid. I know a lot."

The man's words hung heavy in the air, the weight of their implications sinking in. My mind raced, trying to make sense of what he was saying. My father, a kidnapper? It couldn't be true. I refused to believe it.

"Where is he now?" I demanded, my voice trembling with a mix of fear and disbelief.

The man's smile faded, replaced by a look of pity. "I'm sorry, child. Your father is long gone. He disappeared without a trace, just like the children he took with him."

I felt like the ground had been ripped out from beneath me, leaving me suspended in a void. My father, whom I had always looked up to, and who I had cherished memories of, was now painted in a sinister light. I couldn't reconcile the image of the kind, loving man I remembered with the one Major Verid described.

"What does any of this have to do with us?" Keira asked, her voice tense with anger.

The Major Verid sighed, his gaze flickering between us. "You three are connected to a much larger conspiracy than you realize," he explained. "Well, at least these two anyway. You came along, so now you're part of it too."

My curiosity gnawed at me. "What conspiracy?"

He laughed, his booming voice filling up the room. The lights outside were completely gone by now. There would be no one outside anymore. The fire in the room was burning brighter than I expected, the embers crisp against the backdrop of the darkened walls. The flames danced in the darkness, casting long shadows across the room until they stopped.

Darkness filled the room.

"Wouldn't you like to know..." the man said, walking over to the fireplace. He grabbed the matchbox and struck it. The flame that had disappeared once now reappeared, filling up the room with light.

There was no more darkness. All of us could see each other again.

-ˋˏ✄┈┈┈┈

𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝚆𝙾𝚁𝙳 𝙲𝙾𝚄𝙽𝚃: 𝟸𝟽𝟿𝟾 𝚆𝙾𝚁𝙳𝚂

𝚃𝙾𝚃𝙰𝙻 𝚆𝙾𝚁𝙳 𝙲𝙾𝚄𝙽𝚃: 𝟾𝟿𝟾𝟽 𝚆𝙾𝚁𝙳𝚂

Fortsätt läs

Du kommer också att gilla

144K 7.7K 52
In a blink of an eye, the whole world can change. Evey had always lived a normal life. She was an emergency room nurse, had friends, and had a famil...
19.3K 1K 39
There is something different about this virus. It doesn't just make you sick. It kills you. It reanimates, it turns you into something else. An ordi...
87.8K 1.6K 54
pre-apocalypse melanie always felt small and alone in the big city she lived in. moving at a young age forcefully didn't make the situation any easie...
2.6K 89 8
(DISCONTINUED. REWRITE IN PROGRESS) The year is 2050. The world has gone to hell. Everywhere you look, it's just ruins and devastation. It's so fucki...