A Heart For A Heart

Von pfall30

Follow Alexandra on her journey in Camelot along with her brother, the great wizard, Merlin. Everyone has a d... Mehr

Before You Read
Characters
Character Aesthetic
Dragon Call Part 1
Dragon Call Part 2
The Valiant Part 1
The Valiant Part 2
The Mark of Nimueh Part 1
The Mark of Nimueh Part 2
The Poisoned Chalice Part 1
The Poisoned Chalice Part 2
Lancelot Part 1
Lancelot Part 2
A Remedy to Cure All Ills Part 1
A Remedy to Cure All Ills Part 2
The Gates of Avalon Part 1
The Gates of Alavon Part 2
The Beginning of the End Part 1
The Begining of an End Part 2
Excalibur Part 1
Excalibur Part 2
The Moment of Truth Part 1
The Moment of Truth Part 2
The Labyrinth of Gedref Part 2
To Kill the King Part 1
To Kill the King Part 2
Le Morte D'Arthur Part 1
Le Morte D'Arthur Part 2
(S2) The Curse of Cornelius Sigan Part 1
The Curse of Cornelious Sigan Part 2
The Once and Future Queen Part 1
The Once and Future Queen Part 2
The Nightmare Begins Part 1
The Nightmare Begins Part 2

The Labyrinth of Gedref Part 1

101 4 0
Von pfall30

Alexandra's Point of View:

After crafting the remedies needed for the next two days, I decided to go into the town and adventure through the markets. It has been a while since I have experienced Camelot's culture. It was one of the reasons I was so passionate about moving here, but the threats against Arthur's life were an easy distraction. I placed the cork back on the bottle of rosemary before returning it to its rightful place. Humming, I cleaned off the workshop table so Gaius wouldn't be troubled. I glanced into the tiny mirror on the nightstand in my room which I still unfortunately share with Merlin. I tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear and smiled. I skipped out of the bedroom and trotted down the swirly staircase. I made it to the main level and left using the servants' entrance. Every time I saw the little city, I was in awe. Camelot had shined in glory like the city of gold. Excitement filling my body, I rushed to the markets. I examined books of science and literature, jewelry that I could never afford, and fresh produce. I glanced up to see Leon across from me at a stall that was selling paintings. Leon and I were friends. He taught me how to fight with a sword properly and he was easy to get along with. He may be shy, but he had a sense of humor as well as being super sweet. After gazing at his golden locks for a bit, I made my way over to him.

"A beautiful lady standing on a row boat in the middle of the lake makes quite an intriguing painting. I wonder about the story it tells." I said making my presence known.

Leon glanced down at me and smiled, "Lovely to see you too, Alexandra."

"What painting captured your attention, Leon?"

"This one," he said pointing to a portrait of a child whose face was split. The left half was a depiction of an angel's features whereas the right side was the features of a demon. "What do you think it represents?" These are the type of conversations Leon and I had. He was older and wiser. We match in that way somehow.

I studied the portrait for a moment longer before answering. "I think it represents our inner battle. We consistently are put in positions where we have to make a choice that reflects good and bad even as children. However, we cannot be one or the other. We are both because we are human."

He looked at me amazed by the detail. "And what if the split isn't even? One side is more powerful than the other. The portrait is evenly split."

"True, but I think children are naive to the reality of the world. Children aren't bad or good. They are split in the middle because they have not been influenced by behavior. Whereas, when we are older we have been influenced and shaped to have the opinions of our instructors. That's when the balance can be tipped for the better or the worse." I finished staring at the portrait imaging it to be Mordred. I wondered if my opinion applied to him too since the dragon predicts he will be the one to destroy Arthur. I know it applied to Arthur. His father shaped him into a mini Uther, but hopefully not entirely. There is still light in Arthur.

Leon gazed into my eyes as if he was fighting the urge to question me more. "You are wise for your age. I have never met a woman who thinks and analyzes in ways you do." I blushed not expecting the compliment.

"Oh, thank you," I bashfully replied. "I believe Arthur and Merlin will be returning from their hunt," I stated not wanting the moment to end, but afraid to let it happen.

"Ah, yes. My lady," He teased holding out his arm for me. I giggled linking my arm in his as we made our way back into the castle.

It was close to dusk when Merlin returned to our chambers. Gaius and I were talking about mystical creatures and what truly existed. Gaius didn't talk much about his past, but if we talked long enough about magic he would slowly open up. When Merlin walked in, you could sense the gloom he carried. I patted the spot next to me.

"Merlin, you look so sad. What's on your mind?"

He sighed rubbing his eyes, "Arthur killed an unicorn and gave its horn to Uther as a present." I gasped and Gaius's eyes buldged.

"You mean to tell me you have seen an unicorn!" I exclaimed. "What was it like?"

Merlin sadly smiled at my excitement, "The unicorn glowed in a sense. Its fur was white along with its mane. The horn was a pearl color and was the source of magic that I felt in my bones."

"But?" Gaius questioned knowing Merlin was hiding something.

"I saw an old man cloaked in grey. He said he cursed Arthur for killing the unicorn."

I sighed looking out the window, "Great another issue. I'll read and see if I find anything about a cloaked guardian of unicorns." I looked to Gaius to see if he had any knowledge to add, but he just shrugged his shoulders.

The next morning the King and prince ventured into the outskirts where the crops lay dead. The farmers had no explanation. Merlin had said that he found rat droppings in Arthur's room. I stifled a laugh. I mean imagine getting cursed by a magician and one curse is a rat invasion. The King ordered Gaius to experiment on the crops to find a scientific solution even though the three of us knew that only magic could kill tons of crops overnight. The kingdom's food has been rationed and now there are looters. The King has ordered a curfew and that any looters will be executed. Next, the well was filled with sand. Gwen was trying to pump water into her bucket when she discovered the sand. Arthur and his men checked the underground reservoir. The King connected the dots and counseled Gaius. They agreed that magic was at fault. However, I knew Arthur was at fault. Killing innocents whether they are mythical creatures or humans has a price to be paid. Arthur and I stared at the sand-filled bucket. Picking up a handful, I felt the pain of the unicorn. It was clear this was the curse. I gazed up at Arthur.

"Speak your mind. I trust your observances even if I don't like them," he spoke.

"Arthur, I know you don't trust magic, but 'this' is the price for killing the unicorn. A curse bestowed on what you love most. I have seen magic good and bad in my time. This is no different."

"You and Merlin both think it was a mistake, yet in my father's eyes it is glory. Hunting is in our blood."

"If your father wanted me dead and ordered you to hunt me, would you?"

"Of course not," he dismissed the question as if I was crazy.

"If hunting is in your blood, then the answer is clear. You would kill me, so why is it different when it comes to the unicorn? For magic folk, the unicorn represents innocence and peace just as you following your father's orders brings peace."

"Will you help me then, understand?" He said placing his hands on the stone platform in front of us.

"I know how much this kingdom means to you. I'll help you, but you have to be willing to listen." I placed my hand on his. He gazed down at me. I wanted to stay angry with him for causing this new issue, but I couldn't. I couldn't when I knew he was like that portrait. He has been shaped to hate magic and those made of it.

"I have a message," an old man spoke. Arthur and I spun around startled. The man appeared with a staff and he was draped in a grey cloak. This is who Merlin was referring to.

Immediately Arthur's demeanor changed and his body stiffened, "And who is this message for?"

The old man croaked out, "It's for you, Arthur Pendragon."

The prince pointed his finger, "So you're the one responsible for the curse."

The man shook his head disagreeingly, "Only you are responsible for the mayhem bestowed on Camelot; you killed the unicorn."

"You will lift the curse or you'll pay with your life," Arthur threatened. Quickly, I placed my hand on his bicep pulling him back slightly.

"Only you can lift the curse. You will be tested," the wizard warned. The prince rolled his eyes and attempted to arrest the hag, however, the man evaporated from his spot. His voice could still be heard causing Arthur and I to turn in the direction of an alley. The man continued his warning, "If you fail any of these tests, Camelot will be damned for all eternity." He disappeared for good this time.

I turned to Arthur seriousness lacing my voice, "You must be patient and listen. The man said you will be tested and you must be ready. You can't fail because I know Camelot's importance to you. Don't let your father's pride get in the way." I left Arthur by the well and returned to the physician's chambers. I retold my account of what just happened to Gaius and Merlin.

"So what does Arthur think about the curse?" Gaius inquired.

"He thinks that it the Anhora's fault and won't accept the blame," I stated sorely.

"If you don't want to drink bath water, then I suggest you two convince him otherwise," Gaius warned. At the same time, Merlin and I spat the tea back into our cups.

"Who's bathwater is this?" Merlin puzzlingly asked.

"Yours," Gaius answered. I gagged and scratched at my tongue.

The next day had passed leaving Camelot hungry and thirsty as ever. Arthur still wouldn't see the truth. Merlin and Arthur were going to hunt the Anhora down. I'm not quite sure how that would work because the man can disappear out of thin air.

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

64 2 1
Merlin and newly appointed King Arthur face their greatest test yet. They are to journey to the mighty plains of Camlann, and fight a last battle aga...
1.7K 76 15
"In a land of myth and a time of magic, the future of a great kingdom rests on the shoulders of a powerful man. His name...MERLIN." ☆☆☆☆☆☆ Destiny is...
721 49 15
"The adventure continues..." ****** In the midst of darkness, in the midst of distress and despair, the King of Camelot and Warlock rise up to defeat...
16.2K 694 11
"Merlin has-" The ghost of Uther Pendragon has told Arthur that Merlin has magic. Arthur struggles to deal with it, until he's forced to once Camelo...