𝐁𝐎𝐍𝐍𝐈𝐄 & 𝐂𝐋𝐘𝐃𝐄. ˡ...

cxstlebyxrs

━━━⠀❛ 𝑻𝑾𝑶 𝑭𝑼𝑮𝑰𝑻𝑰𝑽𝑬𝑺 𝑶𝑵 𝑨 𝑳𝑰𝑭𝑬𝑻𝑰𝑴𝑬 𝑨𝑫𝑽𝑬𝑵𝑻𝑼𝑹𝑬. ❜ 𝒊𝒏 𝒘𝒉𝒊𝒄�... Еще

𝐁𝐎𝐍𝐍𝐈𝐄 & 𝐂𝐋𝐘𝐃𝐄 !
𝘔𝘐𝘟𝘛𝘈𝘗𝘌
𝘚𝘠𝘕𝘖𝘗𝘚𝘐𝘚
⤷ 𝐕𝐎𝐋 𝐈. ˡⁱᵛⁱⁿᵍ ʷⁱˡᵈ ᵃⁿᵈ ᶠʳᵉᵉ
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐈𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐕
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐕
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐕𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐕𝐈𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐗
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐈𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈
⤷ 𝐕𝐎𝐋 𝐈𝐈. ᵍʳᵉᵃᵗ ᵐⁱʳᵃᶜˡᵉ ᵒᶠ ˢᵉᶜᵒⁿᵈ ᶜʰᵃⁿᶜᵉˢ
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐈𝐕
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐕
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐈𝐗
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐗
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐗𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈
𝘗𝘖𝘚𝘛 𝘚𝘊𝘙𝘐𝘗𝘛𝘜𝘔

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐕𝐈

102 7 3
cxstlebyxrs

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

  WAR OF JUSTICE  ❞

{ •♟• } ⸺

𝐉𝐔𝐋𝐘 𝟐𝟔𝐭𝐡, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟎

          THAT WAS THE GREAT ROOM. The room where justice was going to be done.

The big room, with a high ceiling and meticulously crafted beige walls and elaborate neoclassical features, with tall windows on the left side that allowed the light of the morning sun to illuminate the room. Countless leather chairs and long, dark brown wooden tables filled the room.

At the back of the room, on the opposite side of the entrance door, was the pulpit, where the judge's illustrious table was located. To the left of the pulpit was the place for the jurors who would observe and assist in the trial.

The blue sky outside added color to the day. To a day that would be so dark and gloomy. Outside there was a strong cool breeze, as if warning of what was to come - a full gale.

Inside, she felt like she was on a black day, with dark clouds in the sky heralding a storm. The thunder of fear rumbled in her heart and the lightning of uncertainty burned within her.

It was Trial Day. A day longed for and feared by many.

Her presence was so silent that she seemed like a ghost. She sat on the benches in the hallway next to Steve Harrington. A black suit and white t-shirt covered her slender body. She wore some makeup to give a little more color and life to her frightened and pale face, as if she was dead inside.

As time went by, the corridor filled up and they were told by an employee that they could now enter the large room where everything would happen. It was ten in the morning.

As she walked, she felt her fragile stomach twist. Entering the room gave her goosebumps. Her destiny would be traced and defined in that room that morning.

She sat up front on the left wing and Steve did the same next to her. Although he barely spoke a word to her, he seemed calm and confident, as if everything was in his control.

It took a few minutes for the room to fill completely. A few journalists and photographers occupied the back of the room, eager and thirsty to see the bloodshed.

Max, of course, was anxious. Her hands were shaking, as were her legs, and she scratched her palms to relieve stress. But it wasn't just because of the trial. Her heart longed for something more. To see Lucas.

She still hadn't had a chance to see him or even talk to him since the accident. It had been two months.

And then, suddently, her wish came true.

He entered in handcuffs, accompanied by two prison guards and a blonde girl behind him. His entry caused some excitement and an attentive and observant silence on the part of the people who would attend his sentencing. They walked around the entire room until they reached the front, where they sat down and removed Lucas' handcuffs.

It made her stomach turn to see him treated like that in his condition. But her brain went completely silent when his eyes met hers.

They saw each other for the first time in two months. Their hearts asked if it would be the last time they would see each other for several years.

Looking deep into her eyes had the effect of renewing her energy. In a second, she came back to life and remembered the memories and moments they had shared together the last few times, passing through her mind like scenes from a movie at high speed.

Lucas was as eager to see Max as she was to see him. He couldn't stop looking at her. He wanted to be able to memorize every feature of her face because he certainly wouldn't be seeing her again anytime soon.

They both sat at the ends of the table, with Steve and Robin in the middle.

The room was packed and there was a buzz of parallel conversations and coughing. But that noise stopped when the judge, in her dark robes, and the jury entered the courtroom.

In front of her seat was a sign indicating that the tall, black woman called herself Abigail Hemsworth. Her features were sweet, but there was a clear determination and power in her posture. She took her seat and began the session.

She cleared her throat audibly to ensure absolute silence in the room.

"Today's hearing is to determine and announce the final sentence of the present defendants, Mr. Lucas Barrow Sinclair and Mrs. Maxine Parker Mayfield." She began in her deep, firm voice, pointing with her right hand in the direction of the couple.

"The defendants, born in Texas, aged 21 and 19 respectively, are accused of committing 13 crimes, stealing goods and property from nine convenience stores and gas stations and one bank; for stealing three vehicles and fleeing, causing four minor injuries and five serious injuries, two of which were to police officers. Two of these crimes were committed in the state of Arizona, three in California, two in Nevada, two in Utah, one in Colorado, one in Oklahoma, and two in Texas.

They are being charged with the following evidence. Surveillance camera footage from stolen businesses; matching fingerprints on the Ford Cortina, a car used in most of the robberies and to escape; ballistic correspondence between bullets found in the victims and the Sigma 40 found in the Cadillac Brougham in which Mr. Sinclair and Mrs. Mayfield were arrested by authorities in Louisiana on May 23.

A determination will be made as to whether there is sufficient evidence to convict the defendants of these crimes."

After reading the charges, the judge allowed the prosecutor and defense attorney to make their opening statements.

Lucas and Max looked at each other in a little getaway when they heard the surveillance footage being mentioned.

They completely forgot that detail. They came to the conclusion that they were definitely amateurs.

The prosecutor, Jason Carver, a man of medium height with blond hair and bright blue eyes, stood up and walked to the podium, buttoning his blue blazer. He cleared his throat and straightened his tie, looking at the people in the room in a way that showed how vain and arrogant he was.

"Good morning to everyone here for today's hearing. I am sure that many of you are here because you have heard about the trail of terror, blood and fear that these two adults have left across America. They are known for stealing and defrauding what is not theirs without shame or compunction in acts of utter violence and aggression, frightening the defenseless and the humble." He opened his arms and walked around, speaking vehemently as if it were a play.

"And I know that all of you, especially some of the witnesses and victims present here, yearn for justice to be served and for these heartless criminals to pay for the countless and compulsive hate crimes they have committed." He ended his speech with what appeared to be a small bow and sat back down. Another prepared to spill blood.

Next it was Steve and Robin's turn to stand and give a brief introductory speech.

"Welcome everyone," Steve began. "Today is dedicated to Lucas Sinclair and Max Mayfield, two impulsive and naive young people who let their inner rage speak louder. We will tell you more about these young people throughout the morning, so that you can get to know their minds and their hearts. Their dreams and their fears, their insecurities, their qualities and their flaws. And most of all, their past, so that their future can be determined."

It was Robin's turn to speak.

"We want everyone here to see these young people not as untamed animals, but as human beings, as imperfect human beings that they and all of us are, from the center of our hearts to the skin that covers us. Today and here, they will take off the mask and show you who they really are, despite all the mistakes they have made."

The two sat down again and the subtle buzz returned to the room, as if people had enjoyed the trailer they had just heard.

"First, a witness to one of the crimes committed will be heard, Mrs. Driscoll, who will be questioned by Mr. Carver and only then by the defense attorneys, if they wish."

As the woman in her 60s moved into the shadows next to the judge to be questioned, Max looked up for the first time. He remembered her.

"Now, Mrs. Driscoll, can you tell us what happened on March 9th of this year near the city of Phoenix, Arizona?" The prosecutor asked after the woman had read the oath in which she promised to tell only the truth.

Both Lucas and Max were crushed. They didn't know where to look. And as if everything that had happened wasn't enough, the name of the town hit them like a punch in the stomach. They remembered the German Shepherd.

"Well," the lady began, positioning her voice low and high. "My husband and I had gone early in the morning to fill up our car and do some shopping at this store near our house, as we usually do. And we saw this girl in the corner putting food in her backpack." She pointed dismissively at Max. She had a handkerchief to wipe her sweaty brow, showing that she was definitely under pressure.

"And Mrs. Driscoll, when she felt observed, is it true that she engaged in offensive and aggressive behavior?" Mr. Carver asked, satisfied that he already knew the answer.

"Yes, sir. She ran away, pushed the boy out of the store, and even took the gun out of her pocket and shot my husband!" The woman exclaimed and a small buzz went through the room.

Despite the downcast look and serenity on Max's face, it was clear that she felt shame burning her cheeks and stinging her chest. The judge listened carefully to everything that was said and took notes.

"How is your husband these days?" The prosecutor continued.

She sighed loudly, letting her disgust show. "He was in the hospital for several weeks, recovering, undergoing physical therapy because he had surgery on his leg, and he still cannot walk without crutches. And he was just trying to stop this girl from stealing! It is so unfair that there are those who suffer for doing good!"

The redhead was disgusted with herself. She closed her eyes tightly and struggled to swallow the bitter saliva that formed in her mouth.

After the witness answered all of the prosecutor's questions, it was time for Steve Harrington to step in.

"Mrs. Driscoll, how would you describe Max at that moment? The moment your eyes met? Would she be scared?" the defense attorney asked politely, with an enviable posture.

"Um... I remember being wide-eyed, probably because she was caught in the act." She replied, not sure how to answer.

"Hmm. And is it true that during the time of the alleged theft, she uttered insulting and provocative words to the accused?"

"Y-yes...maybe, but I don't remember."

In fact, she had yelled something, but Max didn't know what because she was too worried about running away at the time.

"In the footage from the establishment's surveillance camera on the day in question, you can see her husband pulling Max's hair and throwing her to the ground. Do you remember that?"

The footage was projected on a small screen next to Driscoll.

"As you can see, despite the obvious act of theft, Maxine did not intend to hurt anyone. The video suggests that she did not intend to be violent. She only used the gun as a means of self-defense. Do you agree with me?" Steve stated to the jury, finally returning to the witness, who again stuttered and answered in the affirmative, petrified, not knowing what that meant.

Harrington finished his testimony and the judge thanked the witness for his contribution. Next it was Max's turn to be questioned, according to Ms. Hemsworth.

She got up and went to the same place Mrs. Driscoll had been before and took the same oath. Nervousness weakened her stomach and caused her entire body to shake violently. She used her long red hair to cover her shoulders like a shield.

"Mrs. Mayfield, is it true that you helped Lucas Sinclair escape from the Texas State Prison in the early morning hours of March 7th?"

"Yes, it is true."

"And how did you do it?" She asked with that penetrating and intimidating look. Now she really wanted to throw up. It was like when a teacher calls us to the blackboard and we don't know how to solve the problem. Only here she knew the answer, she just didn't want to say it. She didn't want the bitter taste of shame in her mouth.

Steve, knowing that this question would certainly be asked, looked at her and nodded, giving her the strength to say what had been previously agreed upon according to the available evidence, avoiding giving unnecessary information that would further compromise her.

"I... gave Lucas a hidden gun that belonged to my husband during a visit and gave him instructions to meet me on the other side of the wall the next day."

"And at no time were you coerced and persuaded by Lucas Sinclair to participate in this escape and in the practice of such heinous clandestine acts?"

"No, no, never. He never forced me to do anything." She replied defensively, rubbing her sweaty hands together.

After another dose of intimidating questions, the siege tightened. Smart Jason got where she didn't want him to go.

"So let's talk about the fire that happened at his house the same day you helped Lucas escape from prison." Jason paced and scratched his chin. "That fire resulted in the death of Roy Thornton, your husband, correct?" He handed the evidence to the jury and the judge, and Max nodded.

"Tell me Mrs. Mayfield, was your husband aware of your relationship with Lucas Sinclair?"

"Um... no, he didn't know." She lied so no one would think she killed him because he found out.

"And can you tell us why a fire of that size broke out in your house? Neighbors reported that the whole house burned down in a short time. On the very day you were planning to run away with Sinclair." Jason smiled cynically, eager for an answer.

Max swallowed. She tried to stop her leg from shaking.

"I-I didn't go home after I left that morning. I found out later that the house had burned down. Also... the house was made of wood, a flammable material... It is normal for the fire to spread."

She could be many things, good and bad, but she certainly wasn't a good liar.

"So you deny any involvement in causing the fire and your husband's death?"

"Yes, I wasn't...involved."

"Then why does the autopsy report on Roy Thornton's body show that your husband was already dead before the fire started? Furthermore, there was no evidence of carbon monoxide inhalation in his lungs. According to the coroner, Mr. Thornton had died about two days before the day of the fire, which was March 5th."

Obviously, Jason made a point of handing over the forensic documents that proved what he said. Max could still see Steve clenching his jaw in the corner. Some information was slipping away.

Max was petrified, staring at the documents they gave to her.

"Your Honor, this information is irrelevant to the investigation of this case." Steve stood up, raised his hand to minimize the damage, and turned to Abigail.

"It's not irrelevant, Your Honor, it's the facts! Mr. Thornton did not die in that fire." Jason replied. "And that suggests that even though Max may not have been involved in the fire, she may have been involved in Roy's death." He turned to the redhead and waited for an answer.

"That's pure speculation, Your Honor." Steve continued.

"I-I don't know what you're talking about. Roy hasn't been home for days. It was even normal for him to sleep outside, and sometimes he would come home late, completely drunk." Max raised her voice defensively, her words exploding. "He could easily have gotten into a fight with someone and... the worst had happened! Or just overdosed!"

Max leafed through the documents, searching for something. "The autopsy found no traces of alcohol in his blood?" Max asked, furrowing her brow. Although she was not in a position to ask the questions, Jason took a while to answer, knowing that Roy was drunk when he died and hiding that fact.

He cleared his throat before speaking again. "Yes, a certain amount of alcohol was found in his blood. But how come you were at home with him dead inside for two days without noticing him?"

She threw her hands up in the air in defensiveness and uncertainty. "I don't know, maybe they would have put him there. I always came home late from work, I didn't check every corner of the house before going to sleep."

"And that someone might have been Lucas Sinclair?"

Max's eyes widened at such a suggestion from Mr. Carver. "Of course not!"

"How can you be sure?

"Because he was in jail!" She replied to Max, already fed up with the overbearing blonde.

"Your Honor, I apologize for intervening again, but I think the interrogation is getting away from the main issue." Steve intervened again, tired of the antics.

Mrs. Hemsworth answered Harrington's prayers. And she called the next defendant in for questioning.

When Max returned to her seat, Steve whispered in her ear, congratulating her on her firm stance. But she wasn't so proud of her performance.

She saw the faces of the jurors who suspected she was lying. She didn't like being lied to. She was slowly learning that lying didn't get her anywhere. Before, lies generated lies until they formed a giant snowball. As she sat down, she felt desperation crystallize around her heart and stop her breathing.

Now it was Lucas' turn. She stood up and sat down. His anxiety was visible, but he seemed calmer than Max.

Jason handed out a document to all the jurors and the judge that listed all the other charges Lucas had been involved in.

"Mr. Sinclair, can you confirm that you have precedents and a record tainted with other crimes?" Lucas had no choice but to affirm. The prosecutor approached him and looked him in the eye.

"Do you also confirm that you are a ruthless, violent criminal who likes to terrorize the weakest?" Jason looked at him with contempt. The question fell into his lap like boiling water. He didn't know how to answer, so he shrugged his shoulders slightly and pouted thoughtfully.

"I wouldn't describe myself that way..."

He had been in other trials before, but in a smaller room with a limited number of people. Now he was in front of dozens of people who watched him indifferently.

"So how would you describe yourself?" Jason continued, now with a furrowed brow.

All he could do was be honest. He didn't know if it would do any good, but just like Robin said, it was time to take off the mask. He exhaled heavily through his nose before he started.

"I would describe myself as a bastard who chose the wrong path and dragged the people he loved to the bottom of the well." Lucas looked up at Max for a few seconds, and she looked back at him with her bright, wide eyes. "That complicated the lives of people who... didn't deserve it, and that destroyed the peace of the innocent." Lucas spoke slowly in a low voice.

"Did you bring people you love to their lowest point?" Jason continued to walk around, scratching his chin as if he was extracting information from a child. "Which people in particular?"

It took Lucas less than a second to say Max's name.

"Hm... why do you say you ruined Max's life?"

"Because it's my fault that she's here today. She got into trouble because of me."

"So you think meeting Max was a mistake? Jason replied and Lucas smiled awkwardly.

"No, it wasn't a mistake. Max is a wonderful person with a sweet soul. I... I was the one who distorted his innocence." He had the feeling that the people in the room had no idea what he was saying. And they didn't, because they didn't know her.

Max's heart was melting, even though she was jumping because he was lying. And Jason didn't waste any more time.

"So you're saying that Max was a good citizen before she met you. In other words, are you admitting that you somehow coerced Mayfield into helping you escape from prison? And so she killed her husband so she could run away with you and get involved in the world of crime?"

"Your Honor, intimidating the defendant!" Robin exclaimed, standing up. Lucas' eyebrows furrowed and his eyes widened in disbelief at the prosecutor.

The judge raised her hand toward the prosecutor, signaling him to proceed. Robin's motion was denied. She sat down, frustrated.

He wanted to be able to clear Max of any guilt if he could. He would protect her to the end. Whatever it took.

"No, I-" Lucas finally replied in a low but firm tone. "I... manipulated her. I knew she was unhappy and I used that against her and convinced her to run away with me."

Max looked around uncomfortably. It was a lie! What was he doing?

Jason went back on the attack.

"So you admit that you convinced Max Mayfield to murder her husband?"

"No, that didn't happen. No one killed anyone." Lucas said firmly, looking him in the eye.

( may speaking! )

despite the research I did, this chapter may be a bit delusional since I don't know the laws of the US, but at least I tried to draw inspiration from some series I have watched. <3

© cxstlebyxrs

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

5.6K 119 27
"we're just two people who need 𝑪𝑳𝑶𝑺𝑼𝑹𝑬, nothing more, nothing less. got it?" it hurt shutting him down, but he needed to stay safe, and this...
323K 11.3K 61
|| rewritten version on my account ! || " 𝘆𝗼𝘂'𝗿𝗲 𝘀𝘂𝗰𝗵 𝗮 𝗽𝗮𝗶𝗻 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗮𝘀𝘀 , 𝗺𝗮𝘅 . " " 𝗯𝘂𝘁 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗺𝗲 , 𝗷𝗮𝘆 . "...
413K 9.5K 109
Just Max Mayfield imagines. Enjoyyyy. The updates will be kinda slow for a while but just hang with me. Changing this to Max and Sadie imagines so mo...
4.3K 92 13
・ 。゚★: 𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐔𝐒 。˚ ャ ˖ ! ❪ 𝗆𝗂𝗄𝖾 𝗐𝗁𝖾𝖾𝗅𝖾𝗋 ❫ 🧸🏹 .ೃ 你好,欢迎光临 ' ☁️🦋„ ↴ ── ▐ ❝ heaven 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 kno...