The Long Game━ (l. sinclair)

Bởi flayedcrank

[COMPLETE UNTIL SEASON 5] You are so brave and quiet I forget you are suffering. "But I'm in... Xem Thêm

━𝒊𝒏𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒅𝒖𝒄𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏
━𝒎𝒆𝒆𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒚
━𝒆𝒙𝒕. 𝒄𝒂𝒔𝒕
━𝒂𝒄𝒕 𝒐𝒏𝒆 , uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɥʇ
something doesn't feel right
thisiscrazy
operation mirkwood (goes horribly wrong)
and if i said these things are strange?
little assholes
pauses, then says...
all colors lead to gray (get it?)
glock in my lap
the ghost of christmas campaigns
━𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒚𝒍𝒊𝒔𝒕
━𝒂𝒄𝒕 𝒕𝒘𝒐 , ɹǝʎɐlɟ puᴉɯ ǝɥʇ
the one where things are cool
a day of no dana
ghostbusters, scarecrows, and murderers - oh my!
a questionable birthday indeed
hahaha she's not crazy at alllll (a-wink;)
will's possessed ass
an imposter among us
the superhero and the side-kick
she's just as fine as her torso (not fine at all)
damn, sam is right
the spared group
the ghost of christmas triangles
━𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒚𝒍𝒊𝒔𝒕 ²
━𝒂𝒄𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆 , pǝʎɐlɟ ǝɥʇ
welcome backs and waterboarding
girls day only! (for the most part)
a day free of girls! (for the most part)
max gaslighting sam and el for 5,708 words
sam snaps, mike breaks, and corey's a stubborn bastard
that would be electrifying, wouldn't it?
why would you push a sweet girl so far
me, an empath
doomsday is close at hand
i plunge to my death
know it's for the better, know it's for the better, know it's for the better
━𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒚𝒍𝒊𝒔𝒕 ³
━𝒂𝒄𝒕 𝒇𝒐𝒖𝒓, ɓuıɹǝɟɟns ǝɥʇ
the one where sam isn't sam
...you're my best friend
a loser and an empath walk into a bar
they don't claim to know a lot, but they suspect several things......!!
teaching a college lecture on feminist literature!
a happy family in the 50s
a letter to never be read
they're burning all the witches even if you aren't one
sam streams songbird by fleetwood mac (for no apparent reason)
the inherent romanticism of truly seeing a person
fucked by the bats, fucked by the law
cleaning blood as a love language
i can run, but i can't hide from my family line
takes a toll, my foolish pride - how long before i see the light?
love in the air, flowers in her hair
as above, so below
once penned, an ending cannot be restored
the one where sam isnt there

middle schooler's scare the living shit out of me - steve

215 12 3
Bởi flayedcrank

◦☆*★ ━━━━━━ ★*☆◦

Sam sat in the passenger seat of Billy's car, trying to externally hide her internal panic as much as possible, to be honest. Max was the one tasked with driving them, as she was the only one with any experience — though all it may be was a lap around a parking lot. Next to her, Sam was tasked with being the navigator. In the backseat, Lucas, Corey, Mike, and Dustin were all squished against each other, with an unconscious, bloodied, and beaten Steve Harrington laying across their laps. They were treating (or at least trying to) Steve's severe wounds from Billy, and Sam made sure that Steve's head was in Lucas's lap, because she trusted him most to know the correct health skills.

The group was riding in a tense silence, and it was tense for a numerous number of reasons. Sam's was the fact that Max was a horrible driver, and she was trying not to let Max know that, only for Max to freak out and drive even worse.

"That was really awesome what you did back there," Max broke the silence quietly, head glancing to Sam for a moment, until Mike hissed at her to keep her eyes on the road when Max almost swerved off the road. "With the gun and protecting us and Billy and everything. I can't believe when we met you thought I was the cool one."

Sam, since she wasn't driving, could peel her eyes from the road and focus her gaze on Max's face. Worried, her eyebrows furrowed, and she asked, "You're not mad at me? For pointing a gun at him?"

"No, I," Max sighed, deflating for a minute before stretching up so she could see over the dashboard, "I knew what you were doing. I knew you weren't actually going to shoot him. You promised you wouldn't."

Mad at herself, Sam's mouth screwed up in embarrassment. She sadly responded, "Yeah, well... he knew I wasn't gonna shoot him, too. He almost tried killing me."

"But he didn't," said Max, focusing on the important part.

"Because of you," Sam added, also focusing on the important part. Her defeated mood was gone quick, and a small smile was planted on her face as she stared at Max. "You saved me back there, Max. I told you that you were cool," she finished in a teasing voice.

Max laughed fondly at Sam's addition, ignoring Mike's panicking that Max should be focusing more on the road.

"Okay, fine," Max put on a mock-exasperated tone. "We're both cool, or whatever."

"Or whatever," Sam echoed in a light-hearted mocking tone. Max could hear the grin in her voice, although Max couldn't turn to see it. Then—

"Nancy?"

Sam turned around in the passenger seat to look at the back as she heard the sound of Steve's slurring voice. From what she could see, Steve was slowly waking up, eyes trained on Mike in disorientation. Before Sam turned around to continue reading the map, she watched Mike's face screw up, appalled that Steve referred to him as his sister.

"Oh," Steve mumbled, his vision focusing, to see it was Mike and not Nancy. He groaned, moving a hand to touch one of the cuts on his face, which happened to be by his eyes.

"No, don't let him touch it," Dustin stressed, all the way at the end with Steve's feet in his lap. Corey grabbed Steve's hands and shoved them away from his face, very annoyed with the whole position he was stuck in. Dustin cooed, "Hey buddy — shh — it's okay. You put up a good fight. He kicked your ass and the girls had to step in to save the day, but you put up a good fight. You're okay."

"What... What's going on?"

"Okay, you're gonna keep straight for half a mile, then take a left on Mount Sinai," Sam told Max, looking up from the large map in her lap.

Steve's eyes went from the girl in the passenger seat to the redhead in the driver's seat. It was like a slap in the face, and then reality hit him. There was a thirteen-year-old driving a car and those stupid fucking kids were going to the stupid fucking tunnels.

"Oh, my god!" Steve yelled, clearly panicking.

Corey groaned, said, "I told you guys he would freak!"

"Steve, relax, she's driven before!" Dustin said calmly.

Mike rolled his eyes at Dustin's comment. "Yeah, in a parking lot!"

"That counts!" Lucas defended Max.

"Oh, my god," Steve continued — just like Corey described — freaking out.

To try and convince Steve that the situation was ideal, Dustin explained, "They were gonna leave you behind—"

"Oh, my god!" exclaimed Steve as Max started to go faster.

"—I promised that you'd be cool, okay?" finished Dustin, hastily now.

"Woah, woah, woah, woah. What's going on?!" Steve continued panicking in a muffled, slurring voice. Max pressed her foot on the gas — or, her foot pressed the boxes they'd taped to the gas pedal so she could reach — and Steve was yelling, "WOAHHHH!"

Corey was growing increasingly more uncomfortable with how much Steve was squirming, especially since there were four people in the back that kept being knocked against each other. His arms and legs were pressed up close to Lucas and Mike, touching at every point. Corey was way too claustrophobic for this.

Mike noticed Corey's discontent, and snapped at Dustin with, "I knew we shouldn't have let him come!"

"Oh, my god. No! Woah! Stop the car! Slow down!" Steve continued losing his shit. He went to grab anything that was near him, and he ended up patting his hands all over Corey and Mike's faces. Mike hit Steve's hands off of the uncomfortable Corey who was contemplating throwing Steve out the window. "STOP THE CAR!"

"STEVE, I'M GONNA KILL YOU!" Corey threated, and he wasn't joking.

Trying to calm Corey down, Mike placed a hand at the back of Corey's neck, thumb rubbing up and down the bone there. Mike watched Corey's shoulders fall limp, no longer tense, and he couldn't help a pleased smile form on his lips, despite everyone screaming and yelling around them.

"Do not kill Steve!" Dustin hissed, knowing Corey's threat was real.

"God, his stupid hair is getting into my mouth!" Lucas complained.

"STOP THE CAR—!"

"Everybody, shut up!" Max screamed, and the boys fell quiet. "I'm trying to focus!"

Sam's eyes widened when she looked back down at the map, then back outside, then back at the map. "Oh, wait!" she realized, tapping at Max's shoulder and pointed at the dark earth outside the windshield. "That's Mount Sinai! Make a left!"

"What?"

"Make a left!" Sam exclaimed.

Max swore before she quickly spun the wheel. Lucas let out a girlish shriek, Steve released a bellowing cry, and Sam had accepted their fate. They transformed into rag dolls, each passenger thrashing in their seats. Shoulders clashed against shoulders, butts slid from off the leather. Then, Max stomped on the brakes — the tires screeched, and they jolted forward.

"Hello!" Steve screamed. He exhaled, his chest falling flat. They had come to a complete halt.

Mike blinked dumbly. "Incredible."

"Told you," Max pulled the keys out of the ignition. "Zoomer."

Max got out of the car first, and everyone began to follow. Sam shut the passenger door behind her, watching the boys file out. Corey threw himself out of the car gratefully, and a part of Sam wondered if he was about to kiss the ground. She let him do his thing while she walked to the trunk with everyone else.

In the mess of it all, they had collected supplies. Masks, bandanas, hockey sticks, gasoline, lighters, full body gear, Sam's gun, Corey's axe — why the Byers had all this, it was a mystery. But after all working together to manage an unconscious Steve into the car, they had stuffed the trunk. Now, it was going to be put to use.

Then, Mike — who had gotten out from the opposite side — jogged around the entire car just so he could make it to Corey. Mike's fingers wrapped around his wrist, and Corey jolted out of the hands-on-his-knees-breathing-in-and-out-gratefully position he'd been in before.

"Are you okay?" Mike asked softly, eyes furrowed unconsciously as he stared at the boy before him.

Why the fuck is he holding my wrist again? Why the fuck is he holding my wrist again?

Corey stared dumbly back at Mike, barely even hearing what Mike was saying to him. All he could really think was Mike, Mike, Mike, but then there was an echo in the back of his head — the voice of his conscious that just sounded like Sam — that whispered Eleven. Then, Corey remembered.

"I'm fine," responded Corey shortly. He wrenched himself out of Mike's grip and headed for the trunk.

There, Sam and Dustin had just chaotically heaved a tank of gasoline from the trunk to the grass. They beamed at each other in excitement of their accomplishment, doing their signature handshake — a fist-bump followed by synchronized snaps. By that point, when the kids had loaded a good amount of their supplies from the trunk, they heard Steve tumble out of their car, landing in the hard grass with a groan.

"Guys," he grumbled, but was ignored.

Sam tied a yellow bandana around her head so that the triangle flap covered up her mouth. Then, she reached into the trunk for one of the goggles they'd brought, and fumbled to rest them over her forehead, not quite protecting her eyes yet. The Party members around her were doing the same, as they'd brought enough of both bandanas and goggles and gloves for everyone — even Steve. Sam would be the only one without gloves. Since she was using her gun, she couldn't wear gloves, too scared it would mess up her aim or accidentally make her shoot when she definitely shouldn't.

Speaking of, Sam carefully snatched her shotgun from the trunk with the intention to reload it with spare shells that had been in the pile of junk thrown out of the shed. Once the magazine tube was full again, she held in the action release button and pumped the slide backwards before pumping it forwards to load the chamber.

"Oh, no," Steve groaned, resting against the car to help him stand up. "Guys."

Once Mike finished tying a plaid, Christmas scarf around the lower half of his face, had the goggles situated over his eyes, and snapped on a yellow pair of rubber kitchen gloves, he grabbed two tanks of the gasoline and started walking towards the hole they'd found Hopper at.

"Hey," Steve's head snapped to Mike, a blur or black hair passing him by. "Hey, where do you think you're going?"

From the trunk, Sam also pulled out a Maglite flashlight, and a roll of duct tape. She wouldn't be able to hold both a flashlight and aim her shotgun at once, so she was going to tape the flashlight onto the barrel of the shotgun for brighter vision. Sam positioned the Maglite underneath the shotgun's barrel so that she could still peer over the barrel without anything interrupting her line of sight. Her teeth held the tape in her mouth, and she used her free hand to grab the end of the role. Sam began wrapping the tape around and around and around the end of the shotgun, attaching the Maglite to the bottom of the shotgun. After testing the secureness of her add-on to the shotgun, Sam nodded, satisfied, and turned the flashlight on. Then, because Billy made Sam bleed again, Sam wrapped the rest of the duct tape around the roll of gaze around Sam's torso. 

What? She didn't want to pass out from blood loss in the middle of interdimensional tunnels taking over the town of Hawkins.

"What are you, deaf? Hello?" called Steve, upon receiving no response from anyone.

Corey swung the axe out of the trunk, making sure not to slice off anyone's head in the process. In his other hand, he took multiple cords of thick rope and brought them to the front of Billy's car. Crouching in front of the Camaro, he made sure to tie the rope all in strong, unyielding knots underneath it, where there was a metal rod to make that possible. The Party was going to throw it down the whole and use it as their way of getting up and down.

"We are not going down there right now," Steve expressed, still being ignored. "I made myself clear."

Sam threw on a brown jacket that belonged to Joyce over her sweater for better external protection. Then, she packed up her backpack, loading it with anything they might need down in the tunnels. For precaution, she was only allowing herself to hold one thing — the shotgun; so, everything else she had to use was being stuffed in her bag. A canister of gasoline, a map of directions she'd drawn out navigating the path they needed to take, extra boxes of bullets, a bigger flashlight. It was all in there, along with whatever had been in there before — her Walkman, mixtapes, broken Walkie, compass, etc. After finally zipping up her full bag, Sam threw both straps over her shoulders, officially ready.

"Hey, there is no chance we are going to that hole, all right?"

The Byers had a limited number of bags in their household, so Lucas would have to do without one. Somehow, instead of a normal bag supply, they had a container tank that could be worn on your back with a hose attachment that sprayed whatever inside like mist. Lucas filled the entire thing to the brim with gasoline, letting Dustin have Joyce's tote bag. Dustin was the last one to strap up. And as he filled Joyce's tote bag with extra cloth material—

"This ends right now!" Steve bellowed, snatching Joyce's tote from Dustin in agitation.

"Steve!" Dustin steadied Steve, staring back at the beaten teen with huge goggles that covered his nose and one of Joyce's scarves over his face. "You're upset, I get it. But the bottom line is, a Party member requires assistance, and it is our duty to provide that assistance. Now, I know you promised Nance that you would keep us safe," Dustin reached inside of the trunk and pulled out a pre-packed backpack that had the nail bat sticking out of it, then shoved it into his chest, "so keep us safe."

Steve sighed in defeat. Accepting that they would be going into the hole, he grabbed the bag.

◦☆*★ ━━━━━━ ★*☆◦

Sam took whatever expectations she'd been having for the tunnels and threw them straight out the window, because this was insane. When Steve dropped down from the hole last, he commented, "Holy shit." And holy shit was right. All that hung in her vision were particles, like dust threatening to push past the goggles and bandana protecting her face.

It was gray. The hollow hole that was the entrance to the tunnels, beneath the rotted pumpkin patch, was disgustingly gray. The sticky, slimy walls felt like they were going to close in. The smell was rotten, thick, and nauseating. Everything was just horrible down here, and it made Sam's chest constrict in that painful, biting cold.

"We have to go this way," Mike announced, flashlight shining to the right of where they'd hopped down the hole.

Sam sent him distrustful look, which he could get the message even past all the facial protection. "Are you sure?" she asked, because how the hell would he know? Sam was with Mike when they were last at the decayed pumpkin patch, and she knew for a fact they didn't do into these tunnels — Will was too busy having a seizure like a lunatic.

"Okay, fine, let me see your map," Mike rolled his eyes behind his swimming goggles.

Sam exhaled out in annoyance at Mike's bossiness. She turned around, facing her back to him so he had a plain view of her bag. "It's in my bag. I'm holding the gun, so grab it yourself."

And for a little, it was just Mike rummaging in Sam's bag. She swayed a little at the force of Mike's nosy hand, pushing past mixtapes and bullets and every other random thing Sam kept in there until he found the map. It was a crumpled white piece of paper with black lines drawn on it in marker. Where Sam believed the hub to be, there was a bright, red X.

"Okay, if we're here," Mike analyzed the map, "then we'd have to go there to make it to the X." But he wasn't even sure if he believed himself. "Right?"

Sam shrugged. "I don't know. It's so dark in here, I can't even see the map."

Mike sighed. He clicked on his flashlight, shining it so both of them could better analyze the paper in Mike's hands. Everyone else just had yet to move; they were still looking around the tunnels, processing just how weird it was down here.

"Yeah," Mike started, more confidently this time, "I'm pretty sure it's this way!"

Sam still didn't understand why that reasoning of thinking was, because the map gave no indication going to the right was the right way. Dustin took his attention from the squishy ground, looking up at Mike with his flashlight, who was shining his own in the direction he wanted to go in.

"You're pretty sure, or you're certain?" Dustin questioned.

"I'm 100% sure!" Mike turned around to face his disbelieving friends incredulously. "Just follow me and you'll know!"

Mike pivoted back around. He took a confident step forward, ready to lead everyone to where the hub was.

"Woah, woah, woah!" Steve shouted, and Mike immediately jumped back in fear that something was wrong. "Hey, hey, hey, hey. I don't think so!"

"What?" Mike questioned as Steve walked close up to him.

Steve shined the flashlight in Mike's face. "Any of you little shits die down here, I'm getting the blame. Got it, dipshit?" Then, he promptly snatched Sam's poorly-drawn map from Mike's hands. He turned his head and amplified his voice so everyone could hear him when he exclaimed, "From here on out, I'm leading the way! Come on, let's go!"

"And I thought no one could get bossier than Mike," Lucas muttered under his breath as everyone began running off after Steve.

Corey broke into laughter, having heard Lucas's mumble.

"Come on!" Steve snapped again, when Corey and Lucas were taking too long for his liking. They shared looks, and finally joined the group with jogs.

As Sam ran through the tunnels, she held the shotgun firmly, end wedged into her shoulder pocket, ready to aim anywhere. Her shotgun-flashlight taping was holding up nicely, and she internally was patting herself on the back until Steve was snapping at them again.

"Hey, a little hustle!"

◦☆*★ ━━━━━━ ★*☆◦

For the most part, they walked down the tunnels in silence — save for Sam trying to either make conversation or tell a joke because she couldn't stay quiet for more than three seconds.

Something dripped above. Lucas sniffled. Max's jacket brushed against her arm. A flashlight shone in her eyes. Corey stepped on the back of her no-longer-white sneakers — she stumbled forward.

"Core, do that again," Sam side-eyed him with a glare, "and I'm gonna shove your face into this Demogorgon goo!"

Corey scoffed. "Maybe you should walk faster!"

"Maybe you should control where your giant feet are stepping!" she whisper-shouted.

"Maybe—"

His retort was cut off by the sound of an ear-splitting cry. Sam's face fell, her green eyes shot down the tunnel, gun pointing in the exact direction she'd heard it. Sam rushed past the others, sneakers crushing against the slime-covered floor.

Dustin was rolling around, the palms of his hands pressed to the ground, and his face drawn together in panic and disgust. "HELP! HELP!" he cried, coughing.

"What is it?" Sam panicked, shotgun searching around with the flashlight for any potential threats to shoot, though she didn't see anything.

"What happened?! What happened?!" Steve pushed through the kids that were bending in front of Dustin who was on the ground.

Dustin whimpered, "It's in my mouth! Some got in my mouth! SHIT!"

Sam paused, and immediately stopped looking around for something to shoot. She sent Dustin a confused face instead, because she thought something was attacking him.

Dustin was on his hands and knees, everyone shining their flashlights on him as they watched him cough and hack like mad. Finally, he spit before he kneeled up to look at everyone.

"I'm okay," he said innocently, as if he hadn't given everyone five hundred panic attacks just now.

For a few moments, everyone stared back at him incredulously. Then, they all deflated in agitated sighs and passive aggressive exhales. Sam threw her head back, trying to catch her breath as she lowered the aim of her gun to the ground.

"You serious?" Max scoffed.

Steve glared, shining the flashlight in Dustin's face. "Very funny, man. Nice. Very nice."

Everyone turned back around as they walked away from Dustin. The drama queen got up from the ground, trailing after his annoyed friends and situating his bandana back over her mouth sadly.

"Jesus, what an idiot," said Max.

Sam nudged her in the side with her bicep. In her disappointed mom tone, she chided, "Be nice."

"He just scared the living crap out of us because he was dumb enough to take the scarf off!" Max pointed out, incredulous that Sam didn't think he was an idiot.

"He can hear you!" Dustin piped up, having finally caught up with the group.

Max tossed her head back to glare at him. "Yeah, I don't care. Idiot."

"Max."

"Fine," groaned Max, tossing her head back. "Sorry," she said, "that you're an idiot."

"Max!"

"It's funny, Sam!"

"Shut up, Corey!"

Sam whipped around to face her cousin, tip of the gun and Maglite pointed right at his face. Finally, Corey listened to Sam and shut up. They continued walking in that tense silence. Sam heard the squelching beneath her feet, her own breathing, and the cans of gasoline sloshing behind her. It was hard to breathe — her lungs were tight, and her face was hot. A fleeting moment passed, and Steve broke the silence.

"Alright, Goldie," he sighed, fumbling with the map. "I think we found your hub."

Sam looked up, stopping next to Steve finally. She visually analyzed where they were standing. This wasn't like the claustrophobic tunnels they'd been walking in. No, this area was open — like, bigger than the Byers' kitchen and living room combined. It was a large spanse of area surrounded by the wretched, living vines. It was a place where all the tunnels connected in one, huge juncture. It was a large

It was the hub.

"Let's drench it," Sam said firmly, eagerly.

She wanted to burn this bitch to the ground.

◦☆*★ ━━━━━━ ★*☆◦

Sam felt gasoline splash at her feet. The hazy liquid covered her ruined sneakers, and flooded over the worm-like vines. Her gasoline container was nearly empty — with each tip downwards, the tank grew lighter. The smell of gas burned her nostrils, making her eyes water. Sam felt unarmed and defenseless without her shotgun firm in her two hands, so she wanted this done quick. A pit of nausea mixed deep in her gut, partially from the pungent smell of the gasoline, and partially from the nerves.

Her vision felt foggy. She tightened her fingers around the gasoline container, flipped it over, and watched as the remaining bits dropped to the ground. Sam quickly pulled out the shotgun she wedged between her bag and back with one hand. She clutched it firmly again, making sure she was always ready to shoot at all times — yes, her hands were cramped and shaking tiredly, but she didn't care anymore.

Sam looked around, making sure all of her friends were doing fine. It seemed that they were all finishing up their tanks of gasoline around the same time. When each of them finished, they walked over to the tunnel opposite of the one they came in from, so they could circle back to the entrance; everything was connected, so the path should work out.

Steve stood in front of the six, reaching into the left pocket of his gray jacket and taking out a lighter. He rolled the pad of his thumb over the spark wheel, watching the flame ignore, and let his chest fall.

"All right, everyone start heading back to the exit! I don't want a chance of you shitbirds getting burned!"

"No!" Corey immediately called back.

"Excuse me?"

Sam shifted her gun, as the tiredness of her arms was really starting to get to her. "We're not leaving you behind, Steve!"

"Oh, my god, you kids are insufferable, you know that?" Steve glared, sending them all unpleased looks at the realization they'd be staying for the burning.

Dustin huffed, said, "Well, you're the one who's been babysitting us, so what does that say about you?"

"That he's a loser whose only friends now are children—?" Max answered.

"I can set one of you guys on fire," Steve snapped over Corey and Mike's laughter, "how about that?"

"Or," Sam tilted her head with a better option, "you can set this hub on fire with all of us here, making sure you don't get burned, either."

And, damn. Steve's heartstrings really twinged at that. They actually cared about him, which was... nice. That was really nice. He wasn't really used to that, anymore, so. Well. Maybe he should've been a babysitter this whole time.

"Fine," Steve forced an annoyed conviction to his tone, rolling his eyes as he tried not to show the fact was entirely heart-warmed by this random blonde girl behind him. "But stay back or we're all getting burned."

Lucas saluted at Steve with a nod. "Copy that, Steven."

Steve growled, now actually annoyed, but he was learning to pick his battles. That was the next life lesson he needed, because clearly he was shit at that, too. So, he elected not to snap back at Lucas for the name he chose, and faced the hub again. He lit the lighter again, a small, orange flame dancing from the tip of it.

Steve reeled his arm back, and let the lighter slip from his fingers. Sam watched as it fell to the bottom of the hub, and shiny metal sparkled in contrast to the tangled vines.

Then, the fire exploded.

Hot, orange flames shone in her eyes, the heat waves flushing over the apples of her cheeks. Sweat-beads glistened on her forehead. The air in her throat thickened.

"GO!" Steve shouted. His hand flew to the small of her back. He nudged her, softly, and urged the group to move forward.

Her knees shook. Sam hated running, yet she'd been doing a lot of it the past couple of days. Her legs pushed as far as they could take her in as quick s they could get her, feet pressing to the mass of vines. Sam felt heat on her back — the fire beat against her clothed back. She could hear the flames; a faint crackling, a roaring blaze.

"Let's go! Let's go!" Steve had run all the way so that he was ahead again. He frantically looked at the map, looked to see all the kids were behind him, and looked to see where he was going without even stumbling once.

They took twists and turns, following in Steve's rapid footsteps, desperately running back for the hole they came in through. The Demodogs would be making it to the hub soon, and they were much faster than all of them, so they needed to get as far away as they could.

Then, a voice tracked through the flames.

"HELP! HELP!" Mike cried. He clawed at the floor, his broken voice lost in his throat. "HELP!"

Sam's face fell. Her heart dropped. The anxious knot in her stomach tightened. Mike wasn't one to cry for help — not like Dustin, the boy who cried wolf. Sam knew, this time, something was actually wrong. Very wrong.

She ran faster, impossibly faster, towards the sound of her best friends voice. When she found him, one of the living vines had wrapped around his ankle, holding him firm. Lucas and Dustin were already there, trying to pull Mike out of its grip. Not even thinking through her panic, Sam threw the shotgun to the floor and joined them as she tried to help Mike.

"MIKE?!" came Corey's rarely-desperate voice.

Sam, Lucas, and Dustin tried heaving Mike out with all of their strength, but he wouldn't budge. Mike continued screaming and crying for help, the tentacle around his ankle squeezing tighter.

In the next second, Corey, Max, and Steve found where everyone else was. It was quick to spot the four frenzied kids before them, three of them surrounding Mike, tugging fiercely.

"Holy shit, Mike!" Corey startled.

Standing in between Max and Steve, Corey pushed through them and ran straight for Mike.

"Move back, move back!" he shouted.

Reaching behind him, Corey's hand wrapped around the axe tucked away in his backpack. His sweaty palms pressed to the wooden handle. Corey lifted the weapon above his head, and struck the axe against the vine withholding Mike's limb as hard as he could. 

In just one hit, Corey had swung so hard that the vine was cut clean, dead and inert.

Mike pushed with his hands and feet backwards, the moment he realized Corey freed him. His back ran into Sam, Lucas, and Dustin, who were grabbing him quickly and helping Mike scramble up.

"You good?"

"You okay?"

"Are you hurt?"

Mike was hugging Corey in the next breath. His arms were diagonal, one over his shoulder and the other under his arm, hands planted on his back and squeezing warmly.

He'd never done that before.

"Jesus," Mike panted, and it was so low, so close to Corey's ear he thought he was going to explode. He whispered, "Thank you. I thought I was gonna die."

Corey laughed nervously, unsure of what his arms should do. One of them remained still, holding the axe, while his other arm wrapped around Mike's neck.

"You don't have to thank me, Mike," Corey murmured, desperately wishing he could just drop the sharp axe in his hands to feel what it was like to really hug Mike Wheeler.

"I like when you call me Mike," confessed Mike, so quiet only Corey could hear. "Please stop calling me Wheeler."

Corey leaned back a little, so that he could make incredulous eye contact with Mike and question, "You're making requests when I just saved your life—?"

A gut-wrenching chittering overpowered the sound of everything else happening around them. Sam stumbled back, and quickly ran to pick up her shotgun again. Standing in front of all of her friends, even forcing herself in front of Steve, Sam aimed the top of her gun right at a Demodog that had just appeared. It pressed its claws to the ground of the tunnel, its flower-shaped mouth fluctuating. Sam's fingers tightened around the gun, and suddenly it felt like she couldn't breathe.

Sam cried out as a big grey something barreled through the hospital doors and into her, slamming her back into the ground hard. There was a second where everything seemed to freeze. Bob and Joyce, simultaneously yelling out in horror, the fucking Demogorgon dog, claws pressing her into the ground, gaping flower-shaped maw hovering right above her. That only lasted a second though, before everything came rushing back to speed.

Pushing a frozen Sam's grip on the gun down to the floor, Dustin muttered, "Dart."

Hot white pain shot through her side, and Sam screamed as the Demogorgon dog's teeth dug into her, clamping down and then tearing the flesh with a sickening ripping sound that brought bile to Sam's throat. The gun clattered out of her hands, and Sam couldn't do anything about it. Her shout was different, this time. It was a sob, heavy and emotional, a beg for help.

The Demodog stared back at him, unmoving. Dustin began walking closer to Dart, causing everyone — save for Sam — to yell and complain for Dustin to get away. He just waved a hand back at them dismissively, eyes glued on Dart.

"PLEASE! PLEASE STOP, I'M SORRY! I-I'M SORRY—" but she was cut off by a blood-curdling shriek pushed past her lip straight from her gut — it was laced with pain and horror; the torture had become raw and consuming.

"Hey," Dustin started, pulling down his bandana and pushing up his goggles to show his face. "It's me. It's me. It's just your friend, it's Dustin. It's Dustin, all right?"

The next part happened in a blur. Suddenly, somehow, someone was tackling the monster in Sam's wake, forcing the creature off top of her.

Dustin crouched a foot away from Dart, speaking gentle and showing his harmlessness. Internally, he was hoping Dart would behave the same.

"NO! BOB!"

"You remember me?" Dustin asked, because Dart had grown so big since the last time they saw each other. "Will you let us pass?"

When Sam snapped out of her glossy-eyed daze, there was a fucking Demodog roaring in Dustin's face. Dustin, who had willingly gotten inches away from the monster. Sam stiffened, and she realized when her mind wandered, her grip had gone slack on the gun. She readjusted the gun, now tense, and aiming straight at the Demodog. "What the fuck is he doing?" Sam whispered in a strained voice.

"He says it's Dart," Corey whispered back, watching the boy and the beast a good distance away from them with wide eyes.

Dustin was sticking out tentative hands, saying, "Okay, okay, I'm sorry. I'm sorry about the storm cellar. That was a pretty douchey thing to do."

"I'm shooting it," Sam decided in a mutter, finger moving over the trigger. She had a clear shot of the Demodog up until someone was grabbing the barrel, and forcing Sam to face them with the gun, instead.

"Sam, no," Lucas pleaded quietly, stupidly putting himself in front of the end of a gun.

Sam stared back at him, face screwing up in almost a betrayed manner She protested, "Those things kill—"

"I know, Sam," he cut her off softly, yet urgently. Lucas nodded to the side, where Dustin and Dart were, "But look. I think whatever he's doing is actually working."

Dustin was reaching into his back pocket. He said, "You hungry? Yeah?"

Sam got distracted with the gentle way Dustin was interacting with the creature. Her hands softened a little as the gun fell a few inches low.

"I've got our favorite," Dustin offered, now holding a 3 Musketeers in his hand. "See? Nougat."

Next thing Sam knew, Dustin was opening up the 3 Musketeers candy bar, breaking it into pieces and placing them on the ground with a delicateness.

The shotgun dropped completely to Sam's side, in only one of her hands now as panic flooded her chest. She stared at the Demodog — its line of teeth, its slime-covered scales, it's blood-covered claws, the flaps of its mouth — and all she could think was that it wasn't fair. It wasn't fair that Dart was being so gentle, when the Demodogs in the lab hadn't. It wasn't fair that Dart was calm and timid, when Sam had to be mauled by one. It wasn't fair that Dustin could kneel before Dart without getting attacked, when Bob had to be brutally murdered by one. A golden B burned in between her collarbones, and none of it was fair. Dustin was feeding the goddamn creature. He was waving a hand in front of him, signaling for everyone to pass through.

"Oh, my god," Sam whispered, shotgun hanging to her left. Now, it was Corey's turn to grab her hand — gently, Corey's fingers interlocked Sam's for support. He pulled her, physically, and straight from her trance.

They started running again. Sam was pretty sure her legs were shaking in either fear, or exhaustion, or both. She breathed heavily, inhaling the fumes of the fire, and her own recycled carbon dioxide. Charred particles hung in the air and floated across her goggles.

Steve continued leading them in the path the map advised him to go. It was harder, since they weren't retracting their steps, and instead going in a circle, but he was doing a good job.

"Come on, let's go! Let's go!" he yelled, hopping over a thicker vine with ease. When his feet hit the ground again, the floor beneath them began to shake.

There was a rumbling sound all around, and everything rattled so much that Sam tripped all the way to the ground with the shotgun in her hand. She groaned in pain, landing in her right side, but she made sure not to make the same mistake twice and drop her gun.

Dustin helped her stand up, having to get off his ass too, because he also fell. Sam sent him a nod that told him thanks.

"What was that?" Max asked worriedly, through the goggles and bandana.

And then, there were multiple loud roarings from behind them.

The group whipped around, flashlights following them to find something that might answer Max's question. Sam heard the familiar screeching and chittering. She shared a scared look with Mike.

"They're coming," answered Mike, and they all knew who they were.

"Run," Sam urged, turning back around so she could continue their journey. "Run!"

They wasted no time in listening to Sam's instruction, resuming their runs at a faster pace than ever before. Sam jumped over a vine so that she wouldn't trip again. Her legs burned. Her side burned. Her throat burned. She was tired, but she ran. With each sickeningly wet crunch, she was a step closer to the exit.

Everyone was just running in a jumble together, throwing themselves against each other in every abrupt turn. Lucas ended up in the front, and he was first to see a light at the end of the tunnel — literally. In the distance, a thick cord of rope hand down from the ceiling.

"There, there!" Lucas pointed out, shouting desperately.

"Come on! Let's go!" screamed Steve. "Let's go!"

Sam made sure she was behind her line of friends. She squinted to watch Steve heave Max up first, and the redhead began climbing up the rope with everything in her. As she made it to the top, Steve sent up Lucas, and Max threw out a hand for him to grab without any hesitation.

Then, Mike was grabbed and desperately climbing the rope. Lucas and Max both took a hand, mustering all their strength and yanking Mike out of the hole. Corey was strong enough to just climb up the rope on his own, but Steve still assisted him, anyways. The second Corey was in reach, Mike grabbed him into his arms, and they fell backwards into the dirt together.

Steve let out a strangled shriek as he helped Dustin, who was second to last. All of his friends up top lifted him so that Dustin could join him, and then he was out of the tunnels, too.

As Steve wrapped an arm around Sam's left side — not both sides so he didn't hurt her — monsters shrieked louder in the distance. Sam whipped around to see impending shadows shrinking, getting closer.

"Shit!" Steve hissed, moving away from Sam and grabbing his nail bat again. He pushed Sam behind him protectively, saying, "Here, stay back."

"I'm holding a gun, Steve," pointed out Sam, holding the barrel readily over Steve's arm that was trying to push her back.

The shadows took on the shape of Demodogs — so many Demodogs — and Sam's entire heart dropped. She could hear their roars. Tell how fast they were running towards them.

"I don't care, Sam," Steve muttered, and wow, the this is important so I'm using your actual name thing again. "Stay back."

Sam ignored him, pulling her grip up on the gun, holding it firmer. All right, Sammy, you got it. Just take the safety off and cock it.

"Sam! Come on!" Mike was screaming from outside of the hold, holding a desperate hand that he needed her to take.

That's my girl. Deep breath in, hold to aim, slow breath out and—

And the Demodogs turned the corner to where Sam and Steve were. And nothing happened. 

Literally nothing happened.

The Demodogs ran right towards them, making Sam think they were definitely doing to attack, but that wasn't the case. The Demodogs just moved right around them as if they weren't there.

Sam felt their scaly bodies graze against her leg, their sharp claws narrowly missing her feet. Steve snapped out a hand, wrapping it around Sam's front and pulling him into his chest protectively. Tucked into Steve, the gun dropped from Sam's hand in surprise, and one of her hands held Steve's forearm in front of her for comfort. They watched the Demodogs just run from behind them to in front of them, not giving a single damn about Sam or Steve.

"Eleven," Mike muttered.

Once they were all sure it was over, Lucas, Corey, Max, Mike, and Dustin pulled Sam and Steve up and out of the tunnels. Everyone took a breath of relief.

The headlights of Billy's car began to shine clearer than before. They kept getting bright, and it was almost blinding. The group had to shield their eyes from it.

The lights went back to their normal state, and that's when they knew —

Eleven had closed the Gate.

◦☆*★ ━━━━━━ ★*☆◦

the steve in the car scene makes me die of laughter EVERY time i watch it and lucas's scream is so fucking funny. goodnight. they're just silly little guys your honor

lucas and corey are an underrated duo. there, i said it.

writing sam and you're like "oh she's doing all this badass stuff" and then you envision her and she's jsut this little blond girl who's thirteen years old LMAO

sam with everyone: :DDDDD :) :)
sam with corey: IWILLFUCKINGENDYOURBLOODLINEYOUSTUPIDANNOYINGBITCH

oh steve harrington the plans i have for you...

i just want to squirm into his mind and it's actually so hard not writing his pov (you might've seen i did for a second there). season 4 may or may not be his time to find TRUE love (i am a jancy shipper don't shoot) in the form of a loser latino boy. you may or may not have seen him in the extended cast list. MAYBE though.

corey with everyone: IWILLFUCKINGENDYOURBLOODLINEYOUSTUPIDANNOYINGBITCH
corey with mike: :DDDDD :) :)

the duality of the cousins folks^^^^

anyways we're zooming through season 2!! only one chapter left!! i honestly can't believe i'd get this far, i can't believe i found the courage to post this LOL. i hope people are enjoying the story!

what'd you think? 

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

22.3K 810 6
i am one who loved, not wisely, but too well. - shakespeare , othello (act v scene ii.) farleigh start x fem!oc saltburn (2023) © voguerio...
32.9K 791 20
*I do not own the Nightmare before Christmas or the video game titled "The Nightmare before Christmas, Oogies Revenge". All rights belong to Tim Burt...
12K 323 25
Cassidy Young seems so perfect on the outside but truly she isn't. Her dad, one of the richest men in South Philadelphia, is also the meanest behind...
588K 52.5K 35
𝙏𝙪𝙣𝙚 𝙠𝙮𝙖 𝙠𝙖𝙧 𝙙𝙖𝙡𝙖 , 𝙈𝙖𝙧 𝙜𝙖𝙮𝙞 𝙢𝙖𝙞 𝙢𝙞𝙩 𝙜𝙖𝙮𝙞 𝙢𝙖𝙞 𝙃𝙤 𝙜𝙖𝙮𝙞 𝙢𝙖𝙞...... ♡ 𝙏𝙀𝙍𝙄 𝘿𝙀𝙀𝙒𝘼𝙉𝙄 ♡ Shashwat Rajva...