No Chance in Hell

Door Emily_Caulfield

How Colin's careless words threaten to ruin the very fabric of his relationship with Penelope. Meer

Hell is a Place on Earth
When Hell Freezes Over
Hell Hath No Fury
Hurt Like Hell
They Had a Hell of a Time
No Chance in Hell

Hope It Gives Him Hell

832 21 3
Door Emily_Caulfield

Penelope took a deep breath and looked herself up and down in the mirror. The action was becoming much easier with time, she realized. Now, when she stared at her reflection, instead of pointing out each of her flaws, she was able to also point out one thing she liked. It wasn't much, but it was a start, and she couldn't help but be proud of herself for it. Today, after listing the cellulite on her thighs, the bloated pouch of her belly, and the bags under her eyes, Penelope was able to then add that her boobs looked especially good that day. Thank you, puberty, she thought with a chuckle.

Of course, then her mother's voice crept into her head, and she quickly slipped on some shapewear to smooth out her rolls. When she felt sufficiently squeezed into the sausage casing, Penelope stepped into a flared black dress that pushed up her cleavage and flowed past her waist, stopping just above her knees. 

"Penelope, I am not saying you're not a beautiful girl," Portia's voice rang out. "I am just saying that you need to find clothes that are more flattering to your figure. It is the same thing I tell all of you girls. Phillipa cannot wear halter tops because they make her shoulders look too broad, just as Prudence cannot wear heels because they make her too tall. You ought not be so sensitive about it, Penelope. Now, while I prefer you in yellow, black can be very slimming," she said, offering up the exact dress she was now wearing.

Much as Penelope loathed to admit it, her mother was right, and the dress did well to hide her insecurities. Not wanting to dwell on the issue anymore, she plopped down in front of the mirror and poured the contents of her makeup bag onto the floor. Then she proceeded to paint her face with shades of pinks and reds, hoping that the end result resembled something that her date might find attractive.

Her date. Penelope couldn't believe she was going on a date with Reggie. If her fifteen year old self could see her now, she'd have an aneurysm. It had all happened so quickly, but Penelope was actually quite excited. After Violet's birthday incident, she had taken Reggie to a nearby restroom so that she could 'tend to his wounds'. She felt somewhat obligated, knowing she played a part in Colin's anger that night.

"I'm so sorry, Reggie. I don't know what's gotten into him," she said, motioning for him to sit in front of her. She didn't even have to crouch, as his face was just inches from hers, which meant she had to stare right into those gorgeous green eyes of his.

"Don't apologize for him, Red," he said, managing a smile as she placed a cold washcloth to his face. 

"I feel like I should," she insisted, gently dabbing the swollen area. "He's been such an ass since I told him I wanted space. I just can't believe he took it out on you. He's never done anything like this before."

"Right," Reggie said tightly, looking away.

Penelope could tell he had more to say. "What?" She prompted, dropping her hand.

"Nothing," he said, shaking his head.

Penelope crossed her arms and pouted. "Reggie."

"Red," he replied in the same tone. She shot him a look, and he sighed. "Listen, I don't want to ruin your perfect image of him."

She snorted. "Believe me, Colin has ruined that all on his own. Now tell me."

"Look it was a while ago. I don't want to rehash it."

"Reggie," she said sweetly, dragging her hand along his arm, drawing circles in his skin. "If you tell me, I'll let you take me out on a date." She didn't know what had gotten into her, but she suddenly felt bold.

He shivered under her touch. "You are a very dangerous woman, Red," he said, swallowing his nerves.

She shrugged, smiling innocently. "I can be. Now tell me what Colin did."

Reggie sighed. "Look, it wasn't anything like tonight. You're right, Bridgerton isn't usually the violent type. But he can get quite...protective of the people he cares about." She blinked at him. "He knew I liked you, Red. About a year ago, he found out I was into you, and let's just say, he made sure I knew I didn't have a chance."

"What did he do?" Penelope asked, not really wanting to know the answer.

"It's not so much what he did, but what he said. Bridgerton essentially forbade me from even speaking to you. Said if I did, he'd make my life a living hell."

Penelope suddenly grew very angry. Who the hell did Colin think he was, dictating who she could and couldn't speak with?! "Are you fucking kidding me?" She grumbled, and Reggie laughed, which made her turn her attention back to him. "Oh, is this amusing now?" She teased.

He chuckled, reaching a hand up to cup her cheek. "No, you're just so cute when you're angry." Penelope melted at his words, and turned red for an entirely different reason. Then, before she knew it, Reggie leaned in, and kissed her firmly on the lips. It was soft at first, unlike what she would have expected, but quickly turned passionate. Then, much sooner than she would have liked, it was over, and he pulled away with a blinding grin. "I believe I was promised a date."

Cut to Penelope a week later, sitting within an inch of her bedroom mirror, meticulously applying her third coat of mascara and trying very hard not to accidentally smudge her nearly perfect eyeshow. This was how Eloise and Gen found her a moment later.

"Ooh! Why are you all dolled up?" Gen asked. 

Penelope tensed. She hadn't told her friends about the date with Reggie, because she knew that nearly all of the Bridgertons had something out for him. She didn't like keeping secrets, especially from Eloise, but she just wanted to see where that this could go somewhere first. "A date," she said quietly, blotting her lipstick as an excuse to keep from saying any more.

"Would this date happen to be with the poor bastard my brother sucker punched at Mum's birthday?" Eloise teased, flopping lazily onto Penelope's bed.

Penelope cleared her throat awkwardly. "Perhaps."

Eloise sat up suddenly. "Is this your way of pissing off Colin? Because if it is, I'm all for it."

Penelope snorted. "Believe it or not, El, not everything in my life revolves around Colin. I happen to like Reggie. And he likes me. Hence, the date."

"I can't say I exactly like the man, but hey, if he makes you happy, far be it for me to stop you from getting dicked down."

"Here here!" Gen shouted from across the apartment while raiding Penelope's fridge for a bottle of white. A minute later, she plopped next to Penelope on the floor and offered it to her. "Why don't you have a quick drink, love? It'll take the edge off." Penelope considered this and decided that a drink might be exactly what she needed before her date with Reggie. She took a swig and instantly felt the tension in her shoulders release. "Why didn't you wear the sexy red dress I made you?" Gen asked.

Penelope tensed once again, not wanting to admit that while the dress looked gorgeous in theory, in reality, it made her feel like an overripe tomato ready to pop. "I just wanted to go with a classic black tonight," she lied. Thankfully, neither woman pressed her on the issue. They continued drinking and laughing for the next ten minutes, moreso Gen and Eloise, until finally,  they heard a knock at the door. Penelope shot up from her seat and anxiously checked herself in the mirror, applying a fresh coat of lipstick and quickly spritzing herself with her favorite perfume. 

Meanwhile, Eloise opened the front door. "Reginald Fife! Strange to see you without the imprint of my brother's fist in your face," she teased.

"Eloise!" Penelope barked from her bedroom, but Eloise just cackled.

"I'm only joking!" She yelled. "Come on in...Reggie." Reggie laughed nervously. "Relax, I'm not going to hit you too." She stole the wine from Gen and took a drink. "Not nearly drunk enough yet," she said with a wicked grin.

Reggie shifted uncomfortably, stepping backwards to the door like a hunted prey. "Red, you almost ready?" He shouted with a shaky voice.

"Just a sec, Reggie!" Penelope shouted back, taking a few deep breaths.

"El, stop scaring the poor bloke," Gen said. "Sorry about her. Seems all the Bridgertons tend to run hot."

"Yeah we do," Eloise boasted, then let out a loud hiccup, prompting Gen to snatch the bottle from her.

"You are cut off, young lady," Gen said in a mockingly serious tone. Eloise stuck her tongue out and laughed. Just then, Penelope emerged from her bedroom looking absolutely flawless, if a bit nervous still. "Awe, babes, you look so good!" Gen cried. 

Reggie managed a nod from his place by the door. "You look...bloody gorgeous, Red. Just as you always do," he added and Penelope blushed. He then pulled an obscenely large bouquet of flowers from behind his back and held them out for her. "These are for you. I wasn't sure what you'd like, so I got a bit of everything." If possible, Penelope turned even redder, especially when he handed them over with a kiss on her cheek. Their moment was interrupted when a flash of light came from the couch.

"Ah, El, what was that?!" Penelope yelped, covering her eyes.

"Oh don't be so dramatic. It was just a camera flash. You looked too good not to get a photo."

Penelope giggled and shook her head. Then she took the flowers Reggie brought and handed them to Gen before taking his arm. "Ready?" She asked, and he nodded, beaming down at her.

"Have fun, you crazy kids!" Eloise slurred.

"Do everything I would do!" Gen yelled, then she turned to Eloise when they were gone. "What was the photo really for?" She asked.

Eloise cackled. "Oh, I'm sending it to the family chat. Colin needs to see what he's missing."

"Oh, that photo is going to give him hell..."

Contrary to what his family believed, Colin did in fact know what he was missing. The thought that Penelope was on a date with Fife, or any other man who wasn't him, was the worst pain imaginable. Even more so knowing that it was his fault. You know that saying about how if you love something, you should set it free? Well, Colin fucking hated that saying. All he wanted was to rush into whatever fancy restaurant they were dining in, drop to his knees, and declare his undying love for her. 

But life isn't a movie, and the aftermath of such a grand gesture would surely not turn out in his favor. So he sat, moped really, around his flat, contemplating if taking another trip would be the right move. As he stared at the photo of Penelope and Fife, he realized that no matter how much easier that would be for him, the right thing to do would be to stay. No more running from responsibility. She may not want him now, but when she did, he would be there. The second that she needed him, he would be there, and he would do anything she asked of him.

Back at the fancy restaurant, Penelope and Reggie seemed to be hitting it off quite well. They engaged in your typical ice breaker conversations, then as the wine hit, discussed deeper topics such as life ambitions and family. Penelope realized that Reggie actually grew up in a home similar to her own. His family, much like hers, was often distant and cold. And as the oldest son, he was held to a higher standard and rarely praised for his achievements. When he told her this, she reached across the table for his hand and their eyes met in a tender, understanding gaze. Shortly after, they paid the bill and he offered to walk her home, since it was only a few blocks away. They made small talk on the way, all the while never letting go of the other's hand, until they reached her flat.

Penelope stood on the top step of her building while he stood a couple steps below. "Thank you for tonight, Reggie. I had a really good time," she said, reluctantly letting go of his hand as a sudden wave of awkwardness washed over them.

"Me too," he sighed. "Do you, do you want to do this again?"

Penelope blinked in surprise, though she wasn't sure why. "Yeah, I mean yes, I think I would." There was a pregnant pause where Penelope questioned if she should invite him upstairs. Why not? Eloise and Gen would have been gone by then, and she did like him. Instead, Penelope leaned in to a leave a kiss on his cheek and turned to open her door. "Goodnight, Reggie!"

Stunned, he stared at her closed door and mumbled, "Goodnight, Red."

Minutes later, Penelope lay in her bed, still wearing her black dress and heels, staring at the ceiling as she questioned what the hell just happened. She had fun with Reggie. He was sweet and funny and he seemed genuinely interested in her. She should want to sleep with him. But something just felt wrong. Penelope groaned and ran her hands through her hair in frustration. She knew deep down what it was. No matter how hard she tried, Colin was always in the back of her mind.

Knowing that she would probably end up regretting it, Penelope pulled out her phone and sent him a text. 

"Can we talk?"

With a speed that almost made her laugh, Colin replied, "Yes. Please."

"I'm coming over. See you in ten." Not bothering to change, Penelope grabbed her bag and made the short trip to Colin's, ignoring the voice in her head that warned her not to.

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

8.1K 260 12
They may have been friends once but his callous words decimated their relationship. Determined not to have anything to do with him, Penelope is ready...
10.7K 186 12
What if it was Penelope who badmouthed Colin? How would Colin take it?
50K 977 12
Colin continues his tour with a trip to Italy. However, when his letters to his dear friend, Penelope, go unanswered, he returns home early to see he...
23.3K 599 21
Set after the events of Season 2... Penelope is determined to mend things with Eloise while keeping her distance from Colin. Colin is determined to c...